Is Anyone Else Sick and Tired of Performance Golf Shirts?

After almost a decade of trying to wear these plastic shirts, I've come to one conclusion: Give me 100% cotton. I suspect that others feel the same way, although you wouldn't know it from the overwhelming number of "performance" shirts you find in a typical pro shop.

Besides the usual suspects (eg, PRL, BB, LLB, and Lacoste), what's your favorite brand of cotton golf shirt?

Comments

• mguhlermguhler Posts: 719 ✭✭

no

Cally Epic SZ 9* - Aldila Tour Green
    Cally X2 Hot Pro 15* - Aldila Tour Green
    Srixon ZH45 #3 & #4 - Kuro Kage Black 70
    Mizuno MP-5 4-9 - Grafalloy ProLogic
    Scratch 8620DS 47* -Steelfiber i95s
    Vokey SM6/M Brushed Copper 54* & 58*
    Tour Cameron NP2
    WITB Link
  • MinaretsMinarets Members Posts: 3,859 ✭✭

Booooooo

Driver: Adams 9064LS 9.5*
    Irons: Ping I-20 4-W
    Hybrids: Taylormade Rescue Mid 16*, 19*
    Wedges: Scratch 8620 53*, 58*
    Putter: SeeMore mFGP
    Bag: SM Four5 / Ball: Srixon ZStar XV
  • migolfkemigolfke Members Posts: 594 ✭✭

Agreed. B Draddy has some nice cotton polos.

• smoky25smoky25 Members Posts: 1,027 ✭✭

You need to try the pique mesh knits in the "plastic" shirts. Peter Millar has them and I actually prefer them to cotton. Same feel as cotton but much better breathability on hot days.

• BMCBMC Members Posts: 3,515 ✭✭

If I lived in a low humidity area, I'd still wear some cotton shirts. In NC, no. Still like cotton off course.
    Don't like to dress like a "golfer".
    OP, try Peter Millar, very natural feel for polyester.

PING OG Rapture 9*
    Cobra Baffler Pro 18* hybrid
    Cleveland CG2 irons 3-p
    Bridgestone Wedges 52/56
    Odyssey #1WS
  • tideridertiderider Members Posts: 1,466 ✭✭

agree with most above ... have NO idea how anyone would prefer cotton on the golf course ...

• blblco02blblco02 Posts: 563 ✭✭

This might be a generational thing. My dad isn’t a golfer but has always worn golf polos casually, and he has always hated the performance materials. He’s old and likes cotton shirts only.

• Cottonseed.Cottonseed. Posts: 155 ✭✭

Your not gonna win this one OP.
    Peter Millar summer comfort shirts have lowered my handicap by 0.8.

• Djuga06Djuga06 D.J. Posts: 382 ✭✭

Two different conversations here. Wearing casually I don’t really have a problem with them, or khaki shorts for the matter. Just not to play in. As many have said though, Peter Millar really makes a classic polo look, but even they are all a polyester and spandex mix.

• Mr. GrumpyMr. Grumpy The Quintana Changeup, sit em dwn Members Posts: 2,263 ✭✭

I have a Peter Millar that the best golf shirt I have ever worn, fit, style etc., but it does not breathe as well as others. I have a really nice Puma that looks good and you can feel the air pass through as you walk.
    All this said, it is hit or miss with most performance brands. Some grip odor, some hang weird, and some are so slick they untuck on the first tee. I find most frustrating except for the Peter Millar..

• SuperbritSuperbrit Posts: 461 ✭✭

After seeing the older and larger guys at my golf club wearing cotton polo's im gonna say no, i'll stick to the "performance" polo's

• I_HATE_SNOWI_HATE_SNOW Members Posts: 3,228 ✭✭

Cotton? Can't think of a hotter, wetter fabric.

• dont rory be happydont rory be happy Members Posts: 64 ✭✭

I'm confused by this.

• Yeah I really hate being comfortable and dry....bring back cotton and wool.

I have some of the performance polo shirts from Adidas and Footjoy, they are fantastic in terms of breathability and comfort. I could never go back to cotton.
    I also get double usage out of my golf polos since I can wear them to work too.

Driver - Cobra King F6
    3 wood - Diablo Octane Tour
    Hybrid - Callaway XR Pro
    Irons 3-PW - Mizuno MP54
    Wedges - Vokey SM6 50, 54, 58
    Putter - Yes! Callie
  • nova6868nova6868 Members Posts: 4,685 ✭✭

Just a thought OP... You're not washing your performance polyester shirts with fabric softener are you? Because that will seriously impact their ability to breathe.

• Yanki01Yanki01 TEXASMembers Posts: 5,961 ✭✭

**** naw. with 100% humidity during some early morning rounds. i'm soaked even before i get to the first tee.

915D2 Rogue Silver 60S
    915F Rogue Black 80S
    915H Rogue Black 85S
    712u 4i Recoil F4 110
    714 AP2 5-PW Nippon Modus3 Tour 105x
    SM6 51.08F | 56.08M | 60.10S
    Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 33/350G
    WITB || Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec
  • payerasjlpayerasjl Members Posts: 723 ✭✭

i packed , by accident, a cotton polo this week (confused it with one of the rxl ones i have) and suffered through 18 holes. 100% cotton is a no go for me.

CLO-MIA-DCA-BOG
    Get scratch or die trying
  • Togatown22Togatown22 Saratoga Springs, NYMembers Posts: 2,753 ✭✭

I generally can't stand 100% cotton polos for golf; there's just no point. The newer, high quality tech blends are really nice for all of the reasons listed above. That said; I have a few nice 100% Pima Cotton polos that are light enough that I could wear them on the course if needed (i.e. not too humid, not over 80 degrees, maybe slightly cloudy day, etc).

Rogue 10.5 Graphite Design AD TP 6S
    Rogue 15 PX Even Flow Blue S
    816H1 19 Motore Speeder 8.8 S
    718 AP3 4,5 DG AWT Black S
    718 AP2 6-Gap DG AWT Black S
    SM7 54.10M, 58.04L DG TI Onyx S400
    Futura 5.5W
  • jwhite86jwhite86 ClubWRX Posts: 428 ClubWRX

@blblco02 said:
    This might be a generational thing. My dad isn’t a golfer but has always worn golf polos casually, and he has always hated the performance materials. He’s old and likes cotton shirts only.

There's an older guy I golf with regularly and he loves cotton too...

As for me... I hate cotton shirts.... but as others have mentioned... Peter Millar makes some fantastic alternatives

WITB
    Driver: TS3 9.5 - 757
    3 Wood: 915 F 16.5 - Blueboard
    Hybrids: 816 H1 21 & 25 - Blueboard
    Irons 6-PW: 765 - PX LZ
    Wedges: Engage 52, 56, 60
    Putter: Newport Mil-Spec

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1651462-jwhite86-witb/
  • GoGoErkyGoGoErky Members Posts: 1,056 ✭✭

Performance shirts are great. Been using some form of them forever and have no desire to wear cotton on the course.

• sandtrapsandtrap Members Posts: 802 ✭✭

I’m with the OP I want cotton in my shirts and leather in my shoes.

• Phil6Phil6 Members Posts: 3

I dont know why, but I've always found that I begin to stink far earlier with performance shirts, even if I sweat less. Like the material locks in the stank or something. Its normally never an issue for me.

• third-times-a-charmthird-times-a-charm Members Posts: 1,400 ✭✭

You want wooden clubs and metal spikes, too?

BOOOOOOO

Long Live Nike
  • FlyingLaw1FlyingLaw1 Members Posts: 768 ✭✭

I can not even begin to imagine going back to cotton. Performance apparel (both for golf and otherwise) is the best thing ever.

GO DAWGS
  • GowerND11GowerND11 Members Posts: 11 ✭✭

Those talking about stink in the performance materials. I throw in some white vinegar with my loads, and that helps take the stink out.