3 wood going too far!!!!

Albagolf ·  
AlbagolfAlbagolf  5WRX Points: 8Handicap: 8Members Posts: 5 Starters

I had a lesson with a local pro. He was using GC Quad and I was carrying 270 with my 3 wood!!!
The spin was under 2k which for a driver is low never mind a 3 wood.
I don't think I will sell it as it's just solid off the tee and fairway.
However, having recently moved from a links course to parkland, I have no real need for it as there are no really long par 5's. At most I need a 4 iron for my second shot.
So I have a dilemma. A new 3 wood, 5 wood or fill the gap and get a 3 iron to match my set.

Thanks guys and gals.

Posted:

Comments

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • ShakesterShakester  608WRX Points: 132Handicap: 9Members Posts: 608 Golden Tee

One thing for sure is that the M2's are long. The HL 15 degrees should help shave a few yards off to around 255-260.

Posted:
    Cobra Speedzone 9 degrees (Aldila Rogue 60) 
    Taylormade M2 3 Wood 15
    Taylormade P790 2 Iron UDI
    Taylormade P770 Irons (4-PW)
    Titleist SM6 Vokey Wedges (50, 55 & 60)
    Titleist Select Newport 2.5
    Titleist AVX, TP5 and Pro V1x
  • AlbagolfAlbagolf  5WRX Points: 8Handicap: 8Members Posts: 5 Starters

Taking driver out of the bag isn't really an option, mostly because short par 4's are very reachable. And also I love smashing driver haha.
    The HL 15 is a cracking club, however, I don't think I have any use for it on my home course.
    I'm pretty much answering my own question I think.
    3 iron or 5 wood seems the way to go. I should have mentioned my 2 iron is carrying 250. The P790 has insane distance.

Posted:
  • therealjonzonetherealjonzone  2634WRX Points: 305Handicap: 2.9Members Posts: 2,634 Titanium Tees

On -, @Shakester said:

One thing for sure is that the M2's are long. The HL 15 degrees should help shave a few yards off to around 255-260.

This isn’t necessarily true, as I have seen and fit plenty of guys and girls who hit the HL further than the standard 15* because of the higher launch with a more manageable spin.

I was launching the new Flash SZ about 12 launch and 2400 spin off the tee with 162BS, and it just wasn’t playable because of how close it was to my driver numbers.

Posted:
  • kcd38kcd38  419WRX Points: 133Members Posts: 419 Greens

I'd look at an adjustable 5 wood. That way you can crank it down if you ever find you need a '3 wood' shot on a course

Posted:
    Driver - PING G400 LST 8.5, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0
    3 Wood - PING G400 14.5, AD Di 6s
    Hybrid - Ping G410 19 degree, Tour AD DI 95x Hybrid 
    4-PW - Mizuno JPX 919 Tour PW-6, 919 Forged 5 iron, 919 Hot Metal Pro 5 iron, all with Modus Nippon3 120s
    Wedges - Vokey SM7 50F, 55F, 60 D 
    Putter - Taylormade Spider Tour Black

On -, @kcd38 said:

I'd look at an adjustable 5 wood. That way you can crank it down if you ever find you need a '3 wood' shot on a course

I never thought about that, great idea.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • Jack PearsallJack Pearsall  3479WRX Points: 264Members Posts: 3,479 Titanium Tees

He hit two 3 wood drives over 300 three weeks ago. It was the first time out with his new 3 wood. And That’s with roll on really pretty firm fairways. Totally shocked JP. A new reality? Mmmm....maybe not, as in Hawaii for three rounds and not one 3 wood tee shot was more than 294, with roll. But the fact is that three woods go just about as far as drivers today.
    Also of note, his 5 wood goes considerably further than his previous 18* offerings. Had to go to 20* to keep gaps within reason. Nice problems....

Posted:
    Taylormade SLDR TP 430 10*
    Taylormade Aeroburner 15*
    Taylormade SLDR 19*
    Titleist 909H 21*
    Mizuno MP FliHi 24*
    Mizuno Yoro MP-15 5-PW
    Mizuno MP T7 52* 58*
    Odyssey White Hot #6
  • cgasuckscgasucks  2445WRX Points: 357Members Posts: 2,445 Platinum Tees

I wish I had that problem.

Posted:
    10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft
    1999 Ben Hogan Apex Blades (3-PW) with stock Apex 4 Steel Shafts
    Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts
    Taylormade ATV wedges in 54 and 58 degrees with stock steel shafts
    Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

On -, @cgasucks said:

I wish I had that problem.

It's a good and bad problem to have.
    Both my 2 iron and 3 wood have very little stop.
    However, when playing links golf, they are amazing for staying under the wind.

Posted:
  • scott_Donaldscott_Donald Aberdeen, Scotland & Houston 2628WRX Points: 275Members Posts: 2,628 Titanium Tees

I was sort of similar and have a bag set up very similar.

I am based on links here in Scotland, bought a tour issue M2 Tour 3 wood at 14* loft and a fair bit open, off the tee this thing is a rocket and when I was testing new 3 woods this last two weeks I was getting 280ish with 270 carry ish. I never use it from the fairway; into wind I would use a 2 iron to keep it low, downwind I never really have to - yesterday downwind 287 on my longest par 5 I was chipping from 10 yards short with a 4 iron.
    I am in Houston a lot for the next couple of years and been playing courses where I need to hit 3 wood off the deck so I have invested in a new 3 wood that launches the ball higher; all the distances were the same but a bit more launch so I can try to hit at greens now with it.
    My gaps are still good I hope as I can hit a 3/4 3 wood to fill the gap to the 2 iron. for me the 3 wood is far easier to shape off the tee than the driver so I am very much looking forward to the new one when I get back.

Posted:
    Post edited by scott_Donald on
    • Ping G410 LST 9* Tensei Orange 70TX
    • Taylormade M5 15* Tensei White 80TX
    • Taylormade P790 UDI C taper X
    • Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 4-9 C taper X
    • Vokey SM7 RAW 46*F, 50*F C taper X
    • Vokey SM7 RAW 54*M, 60*M S400
    • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217
  • chisagchisag Chicago Suburbs 3183WRX Points: 509Handicap: +0.3Members Posts: 3,183 Titanium Tees

... You could also install a heaver and shorter shaft, keeping the AD 6x for when you need it on another course. .

Posted:
    Cobra F9 Tour Length ... Tensei Orange 65s
    Cobra F9 15.5* ... Atmos Blue TS 75s
    Cobra F8 18.5* ... Even Flow Blue 75s
    TaylorMade GAPR Mid ... KBS 80Hys
    TaylorMade UDi 18* TP 2 iron... Kuro Kage Black 90Hys
    4-pw TaylorMade P790/760 ... Steelfiber 95's/Recoil Prototype 95's
    SM6 52* F Grind /SM7 D Grind 58* ... Recoil 110s
    Bobby Grace 6330 ... 33.5"

Advertisement
  • MtlJeffMtlJeff Montreal 29331WRX Points: 2,231Handicap: 0.0Members Posts: 29,331 Titanium Tees

How far you hit clubs is only relevant if you need to hit a ball that far. If you like your driver and never need a 270yd shot than there's no need for it. Just get a 20 degree hybrid or an iron.

Posted:
    Ping G400 Max w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14 w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20 w/Diamana D+ 95
    Ping G410 4-SW w/DG 300
    Callaway Mack Daddy 2.0 PM 60
    SGC NorthWood CS 400g 
  • IvyguyIvyguy  1609WRX Points: 261Members Posts: 1,609 Platinum Tees

Holy crap! 300 yard 3 woods?!?
    Are they all m2's

Posted:

Hi everyone
    Just thought I would leave an update on what I have done.
    I decided on getting myself the 3 iron to match the rest of my set and it is working wonders.
    I will keep my 3 wood though for playing courses with long par 5's etc.

Thanks

Posted:
  • MelloYelloMelloYello Upstate, SC 3732WRX Points: 962Handicap: 8Members Posts: 3,732 Titanium Tees

There are several clubs out there today which you don't really need to have: 3w, 2i, 64-deg wedge, etc.

It's not that there aren't a small handful of situations where those might be useful. But on average, you are just fine without them. For a lot of guys, a modern 3w simply goes too far. I drop down to a 43" 5w for example and it does fine for me. Every 3w I try is too much of a bomber from the tee and not easy enough to elevate from the deck. These modern 3w designs are all really mini drivers. So as a relatively good driver myself, I don't see much value in that kind of 3w. It just doesn't serve a purpose.

Posted:
    Driver: M3 w. Tensei CK Pro Org.
    Fairway: M6 3w
    Hybrid: Tour Edge E8 (19, 22)
    Irons: 716 CB (5-Pw)
    Wedges: SM6 52-F / 56-F / 60-S
    Putter: Newport 2 Select
  • braincramp52braincramp52 Freeport, Illinois 6130WRX Points: 1,412Handicap: 10Members Posts: 6,130 Titanium Tees

I hate it when that happens.

Posted:
    Ping G400 driver
    Ping Anser 17,20,23,27 Hybrids 
    Wilson Staff MB's 6-PW
    Ping Glide 3.0 50*
    Ping, Glide 54,58ES Wedge
    Scotty Cameron Newport 3

Snell MTB X

Just because your offended doesn't mean you're right

Advertisement
  • nickosbadnickosbad  344WRX Points: 97Members Posts: 344 Greens

I had the same problem with my Rogue 15’ 3-Wood, I never used it into Par 5’s as I wasn’t confident it would stay straight and on the times where I wanted to use it off the tee it was hard to stop it from running out into the hazards/rough.... I ended up getting a Cobra F9 Tour 4 wood and lofted down to 16’....this is a great solution, it flies higher, stops quicker and is laser straight, I’m now confident hitting into Par 5’s in 2 and it is so easy to hit the 235-245 carry I was looking for! There’s only 1 hole where having my old 3 wood would give me a better option off the tee but I’ve gone from having a club I hit twice a round to one I can hit 8 times!

Posted:
    Cobra F9 Yellow 9' HZRDUS Smoke 6.0
    Cobra F9 Tour 4-5 HXRDUS Smoke 6.0
    Taylormade P790 #3 C-Taper 120 Stiff
    Taylormade P770 4-PW C-Taper 120 Stiff
    Nike Engage 52' Square
    Nike Engage 56' Square
    Nike Engage 58' Dual Sole
    Nike Engage 60' Toe Sweep
    Taylormade Spider X Copper
    Ping Anser Nickel
    Ping DLX Cart / 4 Series White Tour Carry Bag
  • Sea-HawksSea-Hawks  398WRX Points: 80Lefty Boomers Posts: 398 Greens

I picked up a new three wood last year and over winter was trying to see the yardage at a big box store on their Sim. The thing was going away farther than I wanted/thought. Avg 285. I was in the same boat you are and was thinking of going with a new 4wd to take a few yards off and hit it higher off the deck. Then...it hit me. I went back to the same store and tested my theory and voila! The first time I went in I used the balls they keep in the sim which were NOT the ProV1x I use. The spin diff on the stores ball was approx 2000rpm...my Prov1X was spinning 3000rpm. The spin difference made a yardage difference of 15 to 20yards! Instead of the 285 flat bombs it was back to 265-270 total.

I'm not sure if this scenario is the same as yourself but just a word to the wise to test with your game ball if possible.

Posted:
  • golfer881golfer881  451WRX Points: 65Members Posts: 451 Greens

Get a 17° TEE cbx 119 hybrid. It’s silly long as easy to hit!

Posted:
  • braincramp52braincramp52 Freeport, Illinois 6130WRX Points: 1,412Handicap: 10Members Posts: 6,130 Titanium Tees

On -, @Albagolf said:

I had a lesson with a local pro. He was using GC Quad and I was carrying 270 with my 3 wood!!!
    The spin was under 2k which for a driver is low never mind a 3 wood.
    I don't think I will sell it as it's just solid off the tee and fairway.
    However, having recently moved from a links course to parkland, I have no real need for it as there are no really long par 5's. At most I need a 4 iron for my second shot.
    So I have a dilemma. A new 3 wood, 5 wood or fill the gap and get a 3 iron to match my set.

Thanks guys and gals.

What in the world is your handicap?

Posted:
    Ping G400 driver
    Ping Anser 17,20,23,27 Hybrids 
    Wilson Staff MB's 6-PW
    Ping Glide 3.0 50*
    Ping, Glide 54,58ES Wedge
    Scotty Cameron Newport 3

Snell MTB X

Just because your offended doesn't mean you're right
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolina 30081WRX Points: 6,447Handicap: NONEMembers Posts: 30,081 Titanium Tees

3 woods are ridiculous these days. And the m5 5 wood is 3 wood long. Crazy.

Posted:
    TM SIM max 10.8 Fuji Ventus red 6x 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3- PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged  54 60 s400
    Cameron GSS 1.5 009. Sound slot,  tungsten weights. 

Advertisement
  • Qqq123xxQqq123xx I wake up take a few steps and am in a haze the rest of the day.  6495WRX Points: 586Handicap: XX.7Members Posts: 6,495 Titanium Tees

I have that problem with my GW.

Posted:
    Callaway Razr X Black 9.5 stiff
    Callaway Razr X Black 4wd. stiff
    Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
    Cleveland RTG Wedges TT reg. 52,56.
    Nxt Tour.
    Cleveland Classic #4
  • MyherobobhopeMyherobobhope hey there, blimpy boy. Flying through the sky so fancy free.  2607WRX Points: 483Members Posts: 2,607 Titanium Tees

On -, @bladehunter said:

3 woods are ridiculous these days. And the m5 5 wood is 3 wood long. Crazy.

With them at maximum COR and drivers not gaining max distance... you will see more 3ws competing with drivers as they produce different combinations of loft and spin... add in a short shaft for better contact and people will realize they are playing the wrong loft in driver.

Posted:

Current Bag (Rebuilding as of 5/6/19)
    Driver: Adams Fast 12 LS with Matrix Black Tie (to be replaced)
    3W: Adams Fast 12 with Excalibur (to be replaced)
    Hybrid: Bridgestone j40 with Excalibur (to be replaced)
    4-9: Taylor Made Oversize (to be replaced)
    PW: Mizuon HMP with DG120 Stiff (5/6)
    50 degree Vokey with DG120 Stiff (5/6)
    56 and 60 degree Cleveland Wedges (to be replaced)
    Odyssey Tank #7 (only club I'm keeping this season)

• mantanmantan  2649WRX Points: 229Handicap: 13.5Members Posts: 2,649 Titanium Tees

On -, @MelloYello said:

There are several clubs out there today which you don't really need to have: 3w, 2i, 64-deg wedge, etc.

It's not that there aren't a small handful of situations where those might be useful. But on average, you are just fine without them. For a lot of guys, a modern 3w simply goes too far. I drop down to a 43" 5w for example and it does fine for me. Every 3w I try is too much of a bomber from the tee and not easy enough to elevate from the deck. These modern 3w designs are all really mini drivers. So as a relatively good driver myself, I don't see much value in that kind of 3w. It just doesn't serve a purpose.

I totally agree. A modern 3 wood is relegated to 'safe tee club' for most golfers as they can't consistently hit them off the fairway. I dropped it years ago and went to a 4-wood. Now I play a Ping 5-wood (they no longer make the 4 wood). I was going to get it with a longer shaft. But I realized it pretty much does everything I used my 4-wood for. I have the loft turned down. I can hit it long enough to be a 'safe' option off the tee or for holes where a driver length shot would get into trouble. And I can hit it off the deck MUCH easier than a 3 wood.

Posted:
    WITB (as of 2/1/20)
    PING G400 Max 10.5*
    PING G400 5-Wood
    PING G410 22* Hybrid
    Srixon Z565 5-PW
    Cleveland CBX 2 50*
    Cleveland CBX 2 54*
    PING Glide ES 58*
    Cleveland Frontline Elevado
    Bridgestone Tour B RX/RXS
  • CDMCDM  1969WRX Points: 244Members Posts: 1,969 Platinum Tees

I had the same issue with my 3 wood going to far, it was low spinning too. I just picked up a TS3 3 Wood and got fitted with a higher launching shaft and better spin.

I will not lie, loved it off the TEE at times but I had to change. I could not hit the old one off the fairway, it was just to low launch and spin. Plus gap was really really bad. The new one has a Tour Spec Atmos Red in 70x and it is perfect from tee and fairway.

Still plenty long but I can get it up very easy for those "Stand in the fairway for the green to clear par 5's ... just so I can hit it fat" =)

Posted:
    Post edited by CDM on
  • Jackal66Jackal66  280WRX Points: 87Handicap: 22Members Posts: 280 Greens

My Son was fitted at a Callaway demo day.
    He is hitting a Cally Epic Flash 3 wood, 290-295 total. It has a Hzrdus Smoke 6.5 80 gm shaft.
    His Driver is an M5 Tour model, and it goes 320+.
    We playa course sometimes that is 5800 yards, and he hits 3 wood instead of driver.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • flushemflushem  1931WRX Points: 358Handicap: 11.5Members Posts: 1,931 Platinum Tees

I have huge success with Honma TW737 3w 15" giving me consistent 250 yarders. I hardly use driver which is longer (270 yds) but not as consistent as 3wood.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.