Television Coverage Unwatchable

2»

Comments

  • jay_dwightjay_dwight Members Posts: 525 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I'm convinced Gary McCord's commentary kills brain cells.

  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolinaMembers Posts: 27,616 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @Redjeep83 said:

    @cliche said:

    @Moleman said:
    In the states for a holiday, your coverage is horrific, more commercials than golf and faaaarr to much input from the commentators..

    Makes me appreciate our Sky Sports coverage.

    everytime i watch the sky sports coverage i'm asking myself, why do i pay these pretty high monthly fees, and still have to see those 5 minutes add after every 5 minutes of golf coverage

    You aren't paying for that channel, it's a free channel you could get without direct tv, Comcast or whatever you use.

    Serious question. Where do I get it for free ?

    @lawsonman said:

    @bladehunter said:

    @Redjeep83 said:

    @cliche said:

    @Moleman said:
    In the states for a holiday, your coverage is horrific, more commercials than golf and faaaarr to much input from the commentators..

    Makes me appreciate our Sky Sports coverage.

    everytime i watch the sky sports coverage i'm asking myself, why do i pay these pretty high monthly fees, and still have to see those 5 minutes add after every 5 minutes of golf coverage

    You aren't paying for that channel, it's a free channel you could get without direct tv, Comcast or whatever you use.

    Serious question. Where do I get it for free ?

    Over the air my friend. Simple Antenna.

    Oh. I gotcha. I thought you meant sky sports.

    Ping G410  11.2* Tensei pro OrangeV2 proto 70TX 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3-PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 s400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights 


  • puttfordouxputtfordoux Members Posts: 459 ✭✭✭✭

    Watching PGA Tour Live and they had a commercial break with 8 (EIGHT) commercials in a row...

  • idriveidrive gone golfin Members Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 11, 2019 3:17pm #35

    @lawsonman said:

    @idrive said:
    If you're listening to an announcer you can't stand it's your own fault. I refuse to believe there's anybody that doesn't have a mute button. No, it shouldn't have to be that way but I don't think there's been an announcer, any announcer that someone hasn't complained about.

    If you have a TV that will mute only certain people please pm me as to where I can buy it.

    Seems like with todays technology that may not be too far away. I can tell you're not as old a I am or not married.... you have not yet developed the art of selective hearing.

    @bladehunter
    I know I'm not alone when it comes to using the mute button. I can do without the sounds to enjoy what my eyes are seeing. Not hearing the crowd yell "get in the hole" when someone tees off on a par 5 is worth it all by itself. Tuning out the broadcasters repeat themselves to the point of repeating them yourself in your sleep = priceless (pun intended)

  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolinaMembers Posts: 27,616 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @idrive said:

    @lawsonman said:

    @idrive said:
    If you're listening to an announcer you can't stand it's your own fault. I refuse to believe there's anybody that doesn't have a mute button. No, it shouldn't have to be that way but I don't think there's been an announcer, any announcer that someone hasn't complained about.

    If you have a TV that will mute only certain people please pm me as to where I can buy it.

    Seems like with todays technology that may not be too far away. I can tell you're not as old a I am or not married.... you have not yet developed the art of selective hearing.

    @bladehunter
    I know I'm not alone when it comes to using the mute button. I can do without the sounds to enjoy what my eyes are seeing. Not hearing the crowd yell "get in the hole" when someone tees off on a par 5 is worth it all by itself. Tuning out the broadcasters repeat themselves to the point of repeating them yourself in your sleep = priceless (pun intended)

    I get that joke.
    But man. I’ve been married 18 years. I’m oldest of 6 siblings. I can be in a room with 12 conversations going on and either listen to all or tune all out. That’s exactly why I don’t use the mute button. When joe buck comes On I go deaf. And when Feherty or Duval come on I’m all ears.

    Ping G410  11.2* Tensei pro OrangeV2 proto 70TX 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3-PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 s400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights 


  • tideridertiderider Members Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @PZero said:

    @Hot Rod 71 said:

    @PZero said:
    I've watch the least amount of golf ever this year. Commercial overload is 100% of that reason. It's just not watchable.

    Same here. There was a time when I could sit down and watch golf for 2-3 hours and enjoy every minute, but now I can't get through an hour.

    Some of it is commercial, but some is the way its covered and the commentary. It just doesn't seem to be as interesting anymore. Sad, really.

    Exactly. They just don't show enough actual golf. I don't care about Amanda's interviews or what the Tournament sponsor CEO is pandering in the booth.

    good grief ... those take up 5 minutes total, at best ... and you expect the sponsor to sit back and not want 2 minutes of air time?

  • JD3JD3 Members Posts: 4,821 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    I don't find it so bad, wonder what the all the whining is about. They started the interviews because people complained they couldnt follow the points race.

    TM M1 2017 10.5 Aldila NV 2KXVM 65x
    M1 2016 3W HL Tensei CK White 70x 
    Ping G410 HB 19 KBS Graphite Tour Hybrid 85s+
    Callaway Apex 2019 4 - AW KBS Tour 120s (hard stepped 1x)
    Yururi Tataki Wedges 52.5 and 60.5 KBS Hi-Rev 2.0x
    Ping Anser 2 Milled
    NDMC Grips (extra wrap lower half to reduce taper)
    ProV1x
    UA Jordan Spieth 2
    Footjoy Tour Glove (optional, often times play without glove)
  • lawsonmanlawsonman Freeport, IllinoisMembers Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @idrive said:

    @lawsonman said:

    @idrive said:
    If you're listening to an announcer you can't stand it's your own fault. I refuse to believe there's anybody that doesn't have a mute button. No, it shouldn't have to be that way but I don't think there's been an announcer, any announcer that someone hasn't complained about.

    If you have a TV that will mute only certain people please pm me as to where I can buy it.

    Seems like with todays technology that may not be too far away. I can tell you're not as old a I am or not married.... you have not yet developed the art of selective hearing.

    @bladehunter
    I know I'm not alone when it comes to using the mute button. I can do without the sounds to enjoy what my eyes are seeing. Not hearing the crowd yell "get in the hole" when someone tees off on a par 5 is worth it all by itself. Tuning out the broadcasters repeat themselves to the point of repeating them yourself in your sleep = priceless (pun intended)

    Well, I've been married 40 years and I'm 67 if that tells you anything.

    Welcome to where dumb opinions are better than no opinion. :)

    Ping G400 9°
    Ping Anser 17,20,23, hybrid
    Ping G410 6-UW
    Ping Glide 54,58ES
    Scotty Cameron Newport 3
    Ping DLX Bag

    Snell MTB Black
  • idriveidrive gone golfin Members Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @lawsonman said:

    @idrive said:

    @lawsonman said:

    @idrive said:
    If you're listening to an announcer you can't stand it's your own fault. I refuse to believe there's anybody that doesn't have a mute button. No, it shouldn't have to be that way but I don't think there's been an announcer, any announcer that someone hasn't complained about.

    If you have a TV that will mute only certain people please pm me as to where I can buy it.

    Seems like with todays technology that may not be too far away. I can tell you're not as old a I am or not married.... you have not yet developed the art of selective hearing.

    @bladehunter
    I know I'm not alone when it comes to using the mute button. I can do without the sounds to enjoy what my eyes are seeing. Not hearing the crowd yell "get in the hole" when someone tees off on a par 5 is worth it all by itself. Tuning out the broadcasters repeat themselves to the point of repeating them yourself in your sleep = priceless (pun intended)

    Well, I've been married 40 years and I'm 67 if that tells you anything.

    Sure does.. you should have it dialed in. lol

  • Darth PutterDarth Putter Members Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    The people in here whining now about there being too many commercials will be the same bunch in this forum in a few years complaining that the "PGA Tour Network" costs too much and that they liked it better when tv golf was free.

    swing is irrelevant, score is everything

    just say NO.... to practice swings
  • NoodleSaladNoodleSalad Members Posts: 182 ✭✭✭

    Sky coverage is filled with commercials. I think the top 2 I've seen involve a funeral insurance scheme and a gambling app. Then there's Mark Roe, who's an anti-American whack job, although he only seems to get the "regular tour" assignments. Murray and Beem are ok.

  • JD3JD3 Members Posts: 4,821 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    Well the ads for the **** club show they keep showing aren't exactly family friendly. I don't mind the ads, but the content oth

    TM M1 2017 10.5 Aldila NV 2KXVM 65x
    M1 2016 3W HL Tensei CK White 70x 
    Ping G410 HB 19 KBS Graphite Tour Hybrid 85s+
    Callaway Apex 2019 4 - AW KBS Tour 120s (hard stepped 1x)
    Yururi Tataki Wedges 52.5 and 60.5 KBS Hi-Rev 2.0x
    Ping Anser 2 Milled
    NDMC Grips (extra wrap lower half to reduce taper)
    ProV1x
    UA Jordan Spieth 2
    Footjoy Tour Glove (optional, often times play without glove)
  • JaNelson38JaNelson38 Members Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 11, 2019 10:27pm #44

    @Darth Putter said:
    The people in here whining now about there being too many commercials will be the same bunch in this forum in a few years complaining that the "PGA Tour Network" costs too much and that they liked it better when tv golf was free.

    This x100000

    Years ago, all golf fans got on TV was usually two hours each weekend day for most tournaments. Now, you get pretty much 72 holes of live coverage of all the major players and leaders each week, whether it's on TV or streaming live. Do people realize how much that costs with regards to producing that type of coverage? The same brigade bitching about commercials now would howl like crazy with 4 hours of coverage each weekend for a tournament.

    If you want the PGA Tour to continue to award the purses and put together the tournaments they currently have once Tiger is officially gone, you need the sponsors to do so. Whether its tournament sponsors or sponsors who buy commercials.

    Producing live sports on TV is expensive. Prohibitively expensive. The fact that so many people fail to understand this is beyond me.

  • bscinstnctbscinstnct Members Posts: 27,189 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @Darth Putter said:
    The people in here whining now about there being too many commercials will be the same bunch in this forum in a few years complaining that the "PGA Tour Network" costs too much and that they liked it better when tv golf was free.

    Seriously, stop cryin.

    If you’re young and complaining, hate to see you when you old.

    If you old and complaining, just remember that 13” B&W that had so much static you couldn’t even see the ball and you watched this commercial 50 times a day,

  • LakeeffectgolfLakeeffectgolf Members Posts: 57 ✭✭

    Golf analysis is a joke. It's the same comments every day, week, month and year. It's like trying to drink year old milk. I use my ESPN live scoring app and turn the TV off.

  • Big BenBig Ben Members Posts: 9,151 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    I watched the Women’s US Am today and it was so nice to see GOLF and not listen to so much baloney.

    Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
    Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
    Fairway: Titleist 917F2
    Hybrid: A-Grind
    2 iron: Ping Rapture
    Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
    Putter: Evnroll 9.1
    Balls: ProV1
  • lawsonmanlawsonman Freeport, IllinoisMembers Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @bscinstnct said:

    @Darth Putter said:
    The people in here whining now about there being too many commercials will be the same bunch in this forum in a few years complaining that the "PGA Tour Network" costs too much and that they liked it better when tv golf was free.

    Seriously, stop cryin.

    If you’re young and complaining, hate to see you when you old.

    If you old and complaining, just remember that 13” B&W that had so much static you couldn’t even see the ball and you watched this commercial 50 times a day,

    We used to be able to get 3 channels if we added some tin foil to the rabbit ears!

    Welcome to where dumb opinions are better than no opinion. :)

    Ping G400 9°
    Ping Anser 17,20,23, hybrid
    Ping G410 6-UW
    Ping Glide 54,58ES
    Scotty Cameron Newport 3
    Ping DLX Bag

    Snell MTB Black
  • Titleist99Titleist99 Members Posts: 348 ✭✭✭✭

    @JaNelson38 said:

    @Darth Putter said:
    The people in here whining now about there being too many commercials will be the same bunch in this forum in a few years complaining that the "PGA Tour Network" costs too much and that they liked it better when tv golf was free.

    This x100000

    Years ago, all golf fans got on TV was usually two hours each weekend day for most tournaments. Now, you get pretty much 72 holes of live coverage of all the major players and leaders each week, whether it's on TV or streaming live. Do people realize how much that costs with regards to producing that type of coverage? The same brigade bitching about commercials now would howl like crazy with 4 hours of coverage each weekend for a tournament.

    If you want the PGA Tour to continue to award the purses and put together the tournaments they currently have once Tiger is officially gone, you need the sponsors to do so. Whether its tournament sponsors or sponsors who buy commercials.

    Producing live sports on TV is expensive. Prohibitively expensive. The fact that so many people fail to understand this is beyond me.

    You have to remember that these are the same people that constantly cry that there is to much money in golf and that the FedEx cup is just a money grab and should definitely be abolished....I think that they would prefer that golf becomes a niche sport like bowling to be viewed in a three month period for an hour each weekend, with no sponsors.....

  • FergusonFerguson Members Posts: 5,104 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @lawsonman said:

    @bscinstnct said:

    @Darth Putter said:
    The people in here whining now about there being too many commercials will be the same bunch in this forum in a few years complaining that the "PGA Tour Network" costs too much and that they liked it better when tv golf was free.

    Seriously, stop cryin.

    If you’re young and complaining, hate to see you when you old.

    If you old and complaining, just remember that 13” B&W that had so much static you couldn’t even see the ball and you watched this commercial 50 times a day,

    We used to be able to get 3 channels if we added some tin foil to the rabbit ears!

    Fooling with rabbit ears for a better picture, jiggling the handle to get the toilet to stop running and listening to genuine and professional golf commentators whispering what was happening on the course.

    The good ole days.

  • KRAMER1997KRAMER1997 Members Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    edited Aug 12, 2019 5:50pm #51

    Ways to improve tv coverage: 45 minutes of golf per hour 15 minutes for commercials, fedex cup updates and sponsor crap. No need to show an interview with the CEO, IDGAF about how they are involved with the tournament. And finally no more GARY MCCORD. That senile idiot never shuts his mouth. European Tour coverage is superior to PGA tour coverage across the board.

  • HoosierMizunoHoosierMizuno Members Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    subscribed....
    golf is the only sport i can think of where coverage is getting worse instead of better. Gary McCord is the worst person to listen to in sports.

    i can't imagine if you were new to golf or not a die hard fan why you would ever start watching golf on tv. dvr is a must, and even then your finger can't leave the FF button because its constantly needed as commercials and fluff pop up after every other shot.

    forget the lack of decent angles that show off golf shots and the course. golf producers are stuck in the decades of the past. they bring nothing new. why are we still having cameramen zoom in on putts as they roll towards the hole only eliminating player and crowd reaction if the putts drop.

    Ping G400 LST 10 w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
    TM M2 3HL w/ Rogue Black 70 S
    Cobra F8 19*
    J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P
    Cleveland RTX3 CB 50 54 58
    TM Spider Tour Black w/ T-sightline 36" 
  • BLF0901BLF0901 Members Posts: 30 ✭✭

    @RainShadow said:
    Too many commercials to even DVR and fast forward through. What a joke!

    They may as well fill the time Bryson spends reading his putts with commercials. I'd rather watch the same Cialis commercial for the 12th time than his green reading routine.

  • JD3JD3 Members Posts: 4,821 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @KRAMER1997 said:
    Ways to improve tv coverage: 45 minutes of golf per hour 15 minutes for commercials, fedex cup updates and sponsor crap. No need to show an interview with the CEO, IDGAF about how they are involved with the tournament. And finally no more GARY MCCORD. That senile idiot never shuts his mouth. European Tour coverage is superior to PGA tour coverage across the board.

    Euro tour is terrible. Just a couple guys mumbling who know nothing about golf.

    TM M1 2017 10.5 Aldila NV 2KXVM 65x
    M1 2016 3W HL Tensei CK White 70x 
    Ping G410 HB 19 KBS Graphite Tour Hybrid 85s+
    Callaway Apex 2019 4 - AW KBS Tour 120s (hard stepped 1x)
    Yururi Tataki Wedges 52.5 and 60.5 KBS Hi-Rev 2.0x
    Ping Anser 2 Milled
    NDMC Grips (extra wrap lower half to reduce taper)
    ProV1x
    UA Jordan Spieth 2
    Footjoy Tour Glove (optional, often times play without glove)
  • MountainGoatMountainGoat Mid-MarylandMembers Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @BLF0901 said:

    @RainShadow said:
    Too many commercials to even DVR and fast forward through. What a joke!

    They may as well fill the time Bryson spends reading his putts with commercials. I'd rather watch the same Cialis commercial for the 12th time than his green reading routine.

    Oh, yeah? How about that poor Michael H., who spends endless hours on jobs sites trying to hire the right person. That same woman shows up every freaking time, and he never hires her! What's up with that?

  • KRAMER1997KRAMER1997 Members Posts: 212 ✭✭✭

    @JD3 said:

    @KRAMER1997 said:
    Ways to improve tv coverage: 45 minutes of golf per hour 15 minutes for commercials, fedex cup updates and sponsor crap. No need to show an interview with the CEO, IDGAF about how they are involved with the tournament. And finally no more GARY MCCORD. That senile idiot never shuts his mouth. European Tour coverage is superior to PGA tour coverage across the board.

    Euro tour is terrible. Just a couple guys mumbling who know nothing about golf.

    I'll take that mumbling over Gary Mccord's rambling any day.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file