Pure745's 2014 Shootout - Update 6/15/14

Pure745

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome review as always! Thanks for sharing with us.

I hope (for my wallet's sake) the Mini is a dud. Lol.

WITB Link

[quote name='easyyy' timestamp='1398631615' post='9182183']
i just love this thread. A dream come true for most of us. I think most of us do what you did Tai but we do it reading and watching. You did it for real and lucky for me... I can sit here with a bag of popcorn while I watch it all go down. Thanks!!!!

Ohh this is a serious play ground...

[attachment=2196019:2014Shootout-4.jpg]
[/quote]

That is the definition of a big boys candy store!

Driver. RBZ Tour TP 9 Kaili 70x
Three Wood: RBZ Tour TP 14.5 RIP Beta 70
Hybrid: Adams Super LS 19 Kuro Kage
Irons: TaylorMade 2014 CB 4,5, MC 6-PW
Putter: Odyssey Protype Black #9
Wedges: Vokey 53/10 and 59/7

It makes me want to move. We have great courses here, but I have yet to find a great fitter in NC.

[quote name='PingDrv00' timestamp='1398655381' post='9184777']
It makes me want to move. We have great courses here, but I have yet to find a great fitter in NC.
[/quote]

Do it! Just to be clear, this wasn't a "fitting".. it was just me hitting a bunch of setups I have on a Trackman. The fitter gave no input, merely reported the results. However, I am now curious to see what a full blown fitting would do. :russian_roulette:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

I think what impresses me most is the path & FA #'s at your SS. Appeciate the write-up. Can you add the head lofts to the respective drivers on the first page?

Ping g430max 10k 10.5*- rogue white 130 60tx
sim2ti 15* - speeder evo 3 757x
ping g425 20.5* - rogue 125 80tx
4-gw ap1 jpx921 hm/hm pro - 120x1’s
 sm5 56.10 - s400ti
sm8 60m - s400ti
piretti potenza ii 365g 34"

[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1398656186' post='9184851']
[quote name='PingDrv00' timestamp='1398655381' post='9184777']
[/quote]

Do it! Just to be clear, this wasn't a "fitting".. it was just me hitting a bunch of setups I have on a Trackman. The fitter gave no input, merely reported the results. However, I am now curious to see what a full blown fitting would do. :russian_roulette:
[/quote]

I understand, that picture made my knees wobbly. Love to see that around here. I might just open something like that! I appreciate your dedication to the process, makes me feel like I need to hit the gym 108-110 is my best day!

After reading a lot of your thoughts leading up to this point. It appears that the results echo what you were expecting all along with the SLDR 460 coming out on top. I appreciate you posting your results. It was a great read throughout the process.

Taylormade Qi10 9*/Ventus Blue 7X
Taylormade BRNR 13.5*/KBS TD Cat4 
Callaway AI Smoke 7w/AD IZ 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Taylormade Spider Tour Proto 34"
Taylormade MG4 52, 56, 62 S400
Taylormade 2024 TP5X

[quote name='mizunopure' timestamp='1398657804' post='9184953']
I think what impresses me most is the path & FA #'s at your SS. Appeciate the write-up. Can you add the head lofts to the respective drivers on the first page?
[/quote]

Thanks man! I have been working on my swing this year to have more consistency under pressure and to be able to minimize my misses either way. I updated the lofts on the OP.

[quote name='radiman' timestamp='1398660389' post='9185095']
After reading a lot of your thoughts leading up to this point. It appears that the results echo what you were expecting all along with the SLDR 460 coming out on top. I appreciate you posting your results. It was a great read throughout the process.
[/quote]

Thank you! The 460 is just a great head, especially at 195g. I prefer the looks and sound of the 460 to the BBA, but I'm certain I can assemble a rocket launcher of a club with the BBA as well. I was also impressed with the flight and forgiveness of the BBA, just the 460 nosed it out in enough categories to tip the scales in favor of the 460. I had a really good session with the 430, but being just off was not going to work for me on the course. The BBA would fit in right between the 430 and 460. i25 was not far behind them, but it was a little behind both of them.

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Good stuff as usual Tai. I haven't hit the BBA yet but on my radar now. Demoed the SLDR at a tmag event too bad the staff was less than helpful other than putting my trusty oban devotion in one for me. Oh well at least they stopped laughing at my 9064 when the SLDR wasn't going any further. Cheap TM range balls were not a good gauge. Think there is some gains to be found with the right setup. Thankfully I have a cool clubs close by.

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

Pure (I know your name is Tai, but I've always felt weird about calling you that out of respect that I don't really know you outside this site),

Thought I would say that just because I do completely respect your reviews, time, opinions, money spent and labor in creating some of the best threads and discussions on these boards. This is top notch stuff in this thread and it gives me a little idea of what I might look at, in the end though I may wait another year to see what shakes out. I like the idea of the SLDR and the 460 head (love the look of the 430 though and will probably hit that one as well) and will see if I can get my instructor to setup a session to compare with my current driver. As you may remember (probably not), I went with the Covert Tour 1.0 with the Fuji Speeder 6.2 TS last year cut to D2.5 at 45". I hit this driver really well, low spin, right to left, great shots when I am on. My swing has been a little all over the place and that is why I'm doing a new set of lessons, to get things ironed out and hitting some more consistent shots. I found the Covert Tour 2.0 to be a driver I could get similar numbers with, but it was MUCH harder to get the ball going as long or as straight as last years. The ball flies left to right more often and doesn't seem to be as easy, it is noticeably heavier than the tour from last year and I'm not liking it nearly as much. It would do better to be in 440cc range and lighter in my opinion.

Though I tend to side more with Nike in the driver department, favorites being the Covert Tour 1.0, VR tour, VR Pro Limited, in that order, I have had the TM R11 and did have good success with it. I can't wait to see what the SLDR combo'd with a good shaft selection for me would do and if it would absolutely beat out the Covert in my bag. I'm wondering though, what do you think about the possibility of the Covert Tour 2.0 in another shaft? Do you think (color aside) that it would have performed better with another option in it? Perhaps cut down a little more to get SW in a better range? I find that with heavier heads I have to cut the driver down more to get better SW numbers and then it feels a little better. What do you think might have made it perform a little better, or do you think any of that would have had an effect?

Taylormade M1 460 - Aldila Tour Blue
Taylormade M1 fairway - Aldila Tour Blue
Taylormade M1 hybrids 4&5 - Aldila Rouge 110
Taylormade PSi Tour irons - KBS Tour
Taylormade EF Wedges ATV Grind - KBS Wedge
Nike Method Mod 60

Fantastic stuff Pure!

I'm in for aTour Issue LH SLDR Head. Been looking around the last few weeks, no luck as of yet...

Titleist 913D2 9.5° AD-BB7s NDMC Wht/Bl
Titleist 910F 15° AD-DI 8s NDMC Blk/Rd
Titleist 712U 2i 18° KBS C-Taper Stiff
Titleist AP2 712 3-PW KBS C-Taper Stiff
Titleist SM4 54.11 SM4 58.08
Scotty Cameron Newport Select 2

[quote name='prhiam' timestamp='1398697229' post='9186775']
Pure (I know your name is Tai, but I've always felt weird about calling you that out of respect that I don't really know you outside this site),

Thought I would say that just because I do completely respect your reviews, time, opinions, money spent and labor in creating some of the best threads and discussions on these boards. This is top notch stuff in this thread and it gives me a little idea of what I might look at, in the end though I may wait another year to see what shakes out. I like the idea of the SLDR and the 460 head (love the look of the 430 though and will probably hit that one as well) and will see if I can get my instructor to setup a session to compare with my current driver. As you may remember (probably not), I went with the Covert Tour 1.0 with the Fuji Speeder 6.2 TS last year cut to D2.5 at 45". I hit this driver really well, low spin, right to left, great shots when I am on. My swing has been a little all over the place and that is why I'm doing a new set of lessons, to get things ironed out and hitting some more consistent shots. I found the Covert Tour 2.0 to be a driver I could get similar numbers with, but it was MUCH harder to get the ball going as long or as straight as last years. The ball flies left to right more often and doesn't seem to be as easy, it is noticeably heavier than the tour from last year and I'm not liking it nearly as much. It would do better to be in 440cc range and lighter in my opinion.

Though I tend to side more with Nike in the driver department, favorites being the Covert Tour 1.0, VR tour, VR Pro Limited, in that order, I have had the TM R11 and did have good success with it. I can't wait to see what the SLDR combo'd with a good shaft selection for me would do and if it would absolutely beat out the Covert in my bag. I'm wondering though, what do you think about the possibility of the Covert Tour 2.0 in another shaft? Do you think (color aside) that it would have performed better with another option in it? Perhaps cut down a little more to get SW in a better range? I find that with heavier heads I have to cut the driver down more to get better SW numbers and then it feels a little better. What do you think might have made it perform a little better, or do you think any of that would have had an effect?
[/quote]

I do remember seeing your posts about your CT1.0 and thoughts on the 2.0. Trust me, as a WRX Oven attendee, I would have liked to see the Nike do a lot better than it did and I was pretty disappointed in the actual performance. Thus far, I have probably spent about $600ish to set up the CT2.0 with the Speeder 661.. I did have a few good rounds in with it, but when compared to the rest of the drivers I tested, it was noticeably behind them. My Shootouts are different from a full fitting, these are combos I have proven success with on the course, or top setups I either bought or am in the market to buy (purely a consumer/golfer perspective). I'm sure I could get better numbers out of the CT2.0 with a full fitting, the point is that the head was noticeably harder to hit, my smash factor was generally way lower, and the ball would balloon much worse than other setups. The Speeder 661 in the 460 was one of the best setups I hit, so maybe there are better offerings in the Nike, but it's no slouch of a shaft - and on top of that, it was tipped 2.25" to get the CPM in line with everything else.

Like I said before, I think they need to blend the two heads.. based off the Performance head for max forgiveness, and then incorporate the MOI/GC of the Tour head, and then lower the spin even more. I think they also need to offer black or a Covert LTD line or something like that to target players that may be in the 913 line who might be looking for new technology and might not try a red driver.

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Makes sense, I also noticed it was a much more difficult head to hit from what I thought. I couldn't get the same types of ball flight I am familiar with at all. Just thought I would gauge what your thoughts were on the reasons or what might make it better. I think the 661 is a great shaft, I don't think that Fuji has the ability to put out a poor performing shaft (none that I have hit were any kind of bad). Just wish it were better, I do also agree that it should be offered in other colors maybe along the lines of a Cobra or something. I just don't think red will fit everyones eyes, and it can make for a tough sell when fitting shafts because half the market will be clashing with it. That said it will be interesting to see what they bring to the table next year when the Covert stuff may be gone..I don't know exactly how Nike has and will approach the driver game going forward though.

Definitely like the 460 with the Rouge shaft, that is one hell of a looker. I would also agree that the BBA is not a great looking driver, while it has a decent shape the color, face and sole all look rather B class.

Taylormade M1 460 - Aldila Tour Blue
Taylormade M1 fairway - Aldila Tour Blue
Taylormade M1 hybrids 4&5 - Aldila Rouge 110
Taylormade PSi Tour irons - KBS Tour
Taylormade EF Wedges ATV Grind - KBS Wedge
Nike Method Mod 60

[quote name='haager831' timestamp='1398704753' post='9187825']
Hey Pure, on your 460 sldr, the setting was 1.5 open? and what did you have the sliding weight set at?

sorry if this has already been addressed...
[/quote]

Set all the way open (LOWER) and slide weight set 1 click towards DRAW.

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Awesome report. What would you say was the reason your SS was lower with the covert? That seems to be the cause of the lower ball speed unless you saw otherwise. What are your thoughts about the Rogue compared to all the other shafts? I want to try a rogue even more now

Current WITB

TAYLORMADE M5 9* (Tensei Pro white 80tx)
PING i25 14* (KuroKage Proto 70xx)
SRIXON ZU85 2i (C-TAPER 130x)
SRIXON Z785 4-PW (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 50S (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 55W (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 60X (C-TAPER 130x)
TAYLORMADE Spider Tour Black (no alignment aid)
BRIDGESTONE TOUR Bx 

[quote name='gambit' timestamp='1398710321' post='9188455']
Crazy shoot out. Man, I'm seriously surprised that the CT 2.0 let you down. I thought it was a really hot face, but definitely agree with others that it's much more fade biased than other drivers. So I guess here's the real question...what are you going to do with all the stuff that didn't make the cut?
[/quote]

Some might end up on the BST most likely. I was bummed the Covert didn't work out as well.. a very expensive let down.

[quote name='ThunderBuzzworth' timestamp='1398711016' post='9188535']
Awesome report. What would you say was the reason your SS was lower with the covert? That seems to be the cause of the lower ball speed unless you saw otherwise. What are your thoughts about the Rogue compared to all the other shafts? I want to try a rogue even more now
[/quote]

No clue.. might have been the weight of the head? Not sure, I could definitely feel the 661 loading way more than it was in other drivers, but not sure what other shaft would have worked, maybe something counter balanced? All I know is because I went on the Oven trip, I spent easily over $1K setting up a 2.0 driver, 3wd, and hybrid.. so I'm pretty upset the driver performed so poorly for me. I was hitting it all over the place in comparison to the other drivers.. maybe the Performance head would be better for me, but I don't think I would put the money back into another Nike experiment with such good results from the SLDR and BBA. The Rogue/460 is just a great combo for me.. I don't think the Rogue is anything magical and doesn't feel like anything special, it just performs. Long and straight, emphasis on straight! I think I could get a Speeder 757 setup to be similar in results based on how straight I was hitting it in the 460.

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

That really sucks that the CT 2.0 didn't work. Just wondering how you went about changing clubs? Meaning, did you hit 5 with one driver, then another and so on and was the CT 2.0 toward the end of the testing? Maybe I missed it in the initial post. Maybe Nike can make you a proto driver to go with the putter? Just putting it out there...

[quote name='gambit' timestamp='1398726850' post='9190467']
That really sucks that the CT 2.0 didn't work. Just wondering how you went about changing clubs? Meaning, did you hit 5 with one driver, then another and so on and was the CT 2.0 toward the end of the testing? Maybe I missed it in the initial post. Maybe Nike can make you a proto driver to go with the putter? Just putting it out there...
[/quote]

I pretty much did a full warmup, including driver. Took a few sips of the full sugar content Monster, and then proceeded.. I hit 5-7 balls with each setup and took the best 3 acceptable shots. I wasn't waiting till I absolutely nuked 3 shots, just 3 good shots that I would be happy with on the golf course. I would then switch to the next setup and so on.. sometimes it only took 4 shots to get the 3 I needed. The Nike was the most inconsistent of all of them, would love to dial in an all Nike bag, but I don't think it's in the cards ;)

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Thanks for doing such a great shootout. Again. I'm wondering if you were tempted to try even more head/shaft combos after seeing that room full of them. I've never seen anything like that and could play around in there for days!

Titleist 917D2 10.5˚ - GD Tour AD TP-6
Titleist 915F 15˚ - Kuro Kage Silver TiNi 70
Titleist 915F 18˚ - Kuro Kage Silver TiNi 70
Titleist 816H1 21˚ - GD Tour AD HY 85
Nike VRS Forged 5-PW - Project X PXi
Vokey SM6 Raw 50F, 55S, 60V
Scotty Cameron 009 SSS

really awesome Pure, as always a stand up job
I think we all knew (even you ;) ) the SLDR was going to win, based on what you have been posting
was just a matter of the 460 or 430 and exactly what shaft (although I thought the AD BB would have been hard to beat)

that ROGUE and the whole ATX line (tour green and blue) have been HUGE hits on tour [u]and fast[/u]
really hope Aldila makes the ROGUE available to the public for a DECENT price (not TPHD prices)

thanks again for everything you do my man

PING G425 LST 9* | Kuro Kage TiNi DC 60 X
Taylormade M2 15* | RIP Beta 70 X

Callaway XHP 21* | RIP Alpha 90 X
*** Irons: OPEN *** 

Cleveland RTX 4 52/56* (mid) | DGS400
Titleist Vokey SM8 60*K | DGS400
Scotty Cameron Special Select FB 5.5 35"

pure, have you hit the aldila tour blue/tour green and your impressions of both if you have? im fighting to find the right shaft to work in either a 910d2 9.5*, a 913d2 8.5* or a Covert tour 2.0...

so far ive been through:
Aldila RIP @60 stiff in the 910/913 @ 46"
projectX 7c3 stiff in the 910/913 @ 46"
Diamana D+ 72 x-stiff in 910/913 @ 45.5"
Kuro Kage Silver TiNi stiff in the CT2.0 @ 45.5"
Matrix Ozik Black tie 7m3 stiff in the CT2.0 @45.5"

absolute longest combo was 913D2 8.5* with RIP @60 at 46" at around 285-290yds on well struck shots after roll but dispersion was leaving something to be desired.
most accurate was the 913D2 8.5* with Diamana D+ @45.5" but lost 10-15 yards of distance off of the RIP.
the Covert 2.0 with KK TiNi is longer than the Diamana by around 5yds,but not as accurate

ideally id kill to raise my ball flight a bit. everything seems to come off very low (currently have CT2.0 set to 12.5* and left) and id love to drop spin as I hover around the 3000rpm mark + or minus 200rpms. please oh great and wise Tai shed some light on my driver shaft/club conundrum!

general swing info - ~108-110mph aggressive transition. im 6'3" 200lbs

TaylorMade SiM 6.5* Graphite Design AD HD 6x Tipped 1"
Titleist TSR2+ 3w (C1) 12.25*  Tensei 1K Black 75x

Titleist TSi3 17* (C1) Hybrid Fujikura Motore Speeder Tour spec HB 8.8X 

Titleist U505 4i Mitsubishi MMT 105TX
Titleist T100S 5i-PW Mitsubishi MMT 105TX
Vokey SM9 48*F, 53*F, 58*S DG TI Onyx S400's
Artisan SS 0217 Putter
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/777451-518titleistx-2013-witb-warning-heavy-titleist-content-inside/"]WITB Link[/url]

A fantastic overall review. You are the best.
Any chance of putting up total overall distance numbers?

Ping G430 LST 98 VenTUS Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G410 5 Wood Aldila Rogue 130MSI 80 X

Ping G430 Max 7 Wood VA Composites Drago 65 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 5-PW KBS Tour

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

[quote name='enis750' timestamp='1398736562' post='9191899']
really awesome Pure, as always a stand up job
I think we all knew (even you ;) ) the SLDR was going to win, based on what you have been posting
was just a matter of the 460 or 430 and exactly what shaft (although I thought the AD BB would have been hard to beat)

that ROGUE and the whole ATX line (tour green and blue) have been HUGE hits on tour [u]and fast[/u]
really hope Aldila makes the ROGUE available to the public for a DECENT price (not TPHD prices)

thanks again for everything you do my man
[/quote]

Agree, looks like the Big Bertha Alpha with the Rogue would have been top dog if they had one with a BB adaptor especially when you compare it to the 460 with BB6. Not surprising but this is why I have both the Alpha and SLDR.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

Now you have to go back and re-test all of these with a UST Elements Chrome.........Great write up though, thanks for doing this.

• AI Smoke 🔷🔷🔷10.5* Denali Black 60 6.5
  • TM M5 Tour 18.25* - Tensei AV White 2.0 TX
  • TM Stealth 7w 21* - Fuji Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 8s
  • Srixon ZX Utility 23* MMT 105TX HS
  • Srixon ZX7 5-Aw PX LZ 6.5 SS
  • Mizuno T7 55* - PX LZ 6.5
  • TM MG4 60* SBC - DG TI S400
  • Bettinardi Inovai 6.0 2024
  • Tour B XS

Thanks for this outstanding contribution! I'm glad you got your hands on a BBA with a reasonable shaft to see what I've been seeing with mine. I'm very intrigued by the Rogue. Your experience makes it sound like the first time I experienced the Motore TS 7.2X - straighter than it should be. I wish Aldila would produce more. I would love to try one.

The pic from inside Cool Clubs has me thinking about catching a flight out West sometime. WOW!