Callaway Epic Driver buyers. Love it or buyers remorse.

TheMotorCity

I have been through a fitting but am waiting until it warms up so that I can demo one on the course.

Driver _____ Ping G400 Max
Woods ____ Ping G410 3 & 5, Cleveland XL HALO 7
Hybrids ___ Titleist 818H1 5H
Irons ______ Titleist T300 6-GW
Wedges ___ Titleist Vokey SM9 52.08F & 56.10S
Putter _____ Odyssey Dual Force Rossie 2 or Rife 2-Bar w/ Nickel Putter Golf Ball Pick-Up
Ball _______  Titleist ProV1 Yellow
Distance __ GPS:  Bushnell Phantom 2,  Rangefinder:  Precision Pro NX7 Pro
GHIN ______ HCP floats between 10 and 12

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To directly answer this thread's question....The epic is my first new driver in ~8 years -- came from an r9 Superdeep. My driver has always been my best club hands down and each year I've tried the new gear and haven't seen a tangible benefit to swap so I simply haven't. That said, I am really liking the epic so far. Have it with a GD AD TP 7x shaft, 9 degree head set to 8* and 'neutral' (-1/n). I was custom fit for all of this. It is hard to truly tell exact distance gains yet because 90% of my drives plug right now in the PNW, but I do feel there is more carry purely based on where my drives are landing on the course. The ball flight is a low/mid bullet with my standard 5-10 yard baby fade, it is absolutely beautiful to watch. I'm confident they will roll out better than my old driver once it warms up simply due to the ball flight characteristics (spin is the same, 2200-2400 range). What is most noticeable for me is the forgiveness....mishits are behaving much better than with my old r9. My swing speed is ~108, sometimes I crank it up to 115 when I need to but I usually don't bother with that.

For what its worth, I was putting up near identical #'s with the epic AD TP 7x combo as I was with the 17 TM M1 and AD GP 7x. The main thing was looks, sound, and I felt the TP shaft load a bit more in my swing which I liked. I really can't stress it enough, the TP shaft is incredible. Plus, the sound on the epic is great. I couldn't have gone wrong with either, but I am happy with my choice.

Also, I am well aware that the difference might all be because of the AD TP shaft....It truly is an incredible piece of equipment.

Would anyone not recommend the SZ for a sub 100 swing speed assuming generating spin is not a problem?

Either one will work for pretty much all swing speeds. Comes down to fitting

With the heavy weight in the back of the SZ I was spinning it more than the regular Epic. I didn't have time to move it up front, but will over the next few weeks when I get more time with both heads.

It's crazy, but these heads just need the right shaft. With the wrong shaft BS just dropped for me considerably and consistency was terrible. Throwing the right one in there was amazing what a difference it made. Stuff that worked for me in the GBB didn't work for me in the epics.

Fitting is the way to go. Don't think of the SZ as a "players" head. It is nothing like the XR16sz in terms of forgiveness, epic SZ just gives the option for very low spin.

Would anyone not recommend the SZ for a sub 100 swing speed assuming generating spin is not a problem?

Fitting is the way to go. Don't think of the SZ as a "players" head. It is nothing like the XR16sz in terms of forgiveness, epic SZ just gives the option for very low spin.

MOI is higher on SZ than standard epic. If anything the standard is more of a 'players' club if you want to define it that way.

I finally got my Epic Sub Zero. Took it to the range tonight. I think I like my 2016 M2 and 2017 M1 better. Have hit all with AD DI and AD TP. The Epic SZ just wanted to go left.

Titleist TS3 10.5 Kuro Kage DC 70 TX
Titleist TS2 3 Wood Evenflow 85
Titleist 818 H2 19* Tensei White
Titleist 718 AP3 KBS S Taper S+ 4 iron
Titleist 718 CB KBS S Taper S+ 5-9
Vokey Hand Ground by the Man himself 46F, 50F, 54K, 60V
Scotty Cameron Toolbox 009

Started with sub zero and while OK nothing special. Decided to go back to G LS Tec which has served me well before Epic intro. Went for a fitting yesterday at Cool Clubs and after extensive fitting and experimenting I found the regular Epic with Fujikura Tour Evolution 2 to be on average 20 yds longer with an average of 400rpm less spin. Great dispersion. Compared the Epic to M1, M2, Epic SZ, PXG and the regular Epic with the Fuji being hands down the best. Only problem is the shaft is a $400 upgrade!

also got my irons, wedges, 3 wood, putter and hybrid sorted out. It was a great fitting experience!

Not sure which version of the shaft you're talking about or why they're trying to potentially rip you off but the evolution 2 is no upcharge from callaway.

My follow up to my original posting on this:

I got to play yesterday on a business trip in Florida, first real round in a while, though I've been to the range as life allowed.

My background - typical hack, 13 cap, 100 or so SS, fight a fade, inconsistent as hell. I'm absolutely a club ho, but also realistic that it's Indian, not arrow, and that technology in golf equipment is nice but not a solve for anything. I also (and this is me, not trying to preach to anyone else) never hit a 240 yard drive down the middle and think "Damn I wish that was 245"...point being that I am attracted to distance like anyone else is, but on the golf course my full attention is focused on keeping the ball in play.

I bought a 9* SZ with the Evo Speeder II shaft, play it at 44.5. It replaced an M1 from last year. The M1 is a very nice driver, However, for me it was absolutely a fade driver and I was inconsistent with it (Indian, not arrow).

I cannot say like many here that in my first round of playing a new driver after not playing for 4 months other than range balls that I hit 13/14 fairways or got 20 more yards out of a driver.

What I can tell you is that on the back nine, for the first time in my life, I felt comfortable going "at" drives. My misses simply were not as bad as my M1 misses. The feel off the face is softer which I love, and while I didn't stripe every ball, I felt like the driver performed exactly as I wanted it to from a feel and distance standpoint. And that to me is the first time I've had that happen so completely.

I actually wanted this to be hype to a degree because I like many don't really believe tech changes that much in a year. I can't tell you if it's a tech thing or what, but I cannot envision that fit properly anyone would be unhappy with this driver. I also suspect there are many others like Cobra and TM and Titleist that you'd feel the same about, but I would be shocked if there was better out there right now.

Anyways, I'm sure I'll want to snap the thing in half in a month but that's one man, one day's opinion.

Started with sub zero and while OK nothing special. Decided to go back to G LS Tec which has served me well before Epic intro. Went for a fitting yesterday at Cool Clubs and after extensive fitting and experimenting I found the regular Epic with Fujikura Tour Evolution 2 to be on average 20 yds longer with an average of 400rpm less spin. Great dispersion. Compared the Epic to M1, M2, Epic SZ, PXG and the regular Epic with the Fuji being hands down the best. Only problem is the shaft is a $400 upgrade!

also got my irons, wedges, 3 wood, putter and hybrid sorted out. It was a great fitting experience!

Not sure which version of the shaft you're talking about or why they're trying to potentially rip you off but the evolution 2 is no upcharge from callaway.

I'm betting since his fitting was at Cool Clubs it was the orange Evo II.

I haven't read any of this thread, but I just bought an epic to replace my G ls tec. I had no intentions of buying a new driver but a buddy of mine let me hit his epic during a round yesterday. So I went to the PGA superstore and hit it on the monitors against my G. It blew my G away. Went straight from the store and hit so many fairways.

The thing for me is that I feel like I have so much more control and accuracy with this club. I probably get a few more yards of distance but I'm much more interested in accuracy

• 2 weeks later...

I've had mine in the bag for 2 rounds and a couple times out to the range. Absolutely no buyers remorse here so far.

It is hard to tell what total distance is going to be because right now I am getting absolutely 0 roll (sometimes negative) as it is incredibly soggy right now in the NW. Carry seems to be a little longer than my D2, but the biggest factor is that it seems to be incredibly forgiving. The distance loss on the off center hits has been pretty minimal. There have been a couple times already where I knew I didn't hit it all that well and it has gone MUCH farther than I expected. I was playing last weekend and there is a par 5 where a creek runs through the fairway at 300y. Contact was low heel and felt awful. I expected to be 60-70y short of the creek but was really happy when I got up there and I was dead center and maybe 30y short of it. It was a terrible strike and it still performed well. Another was on a 310y par 4... I really went after it and caught it a little high toe. It launched really high but just seemed to stay up there forever. It plugged just short of the green (maybe 7-8y short). It was a decent strike, but certainly not great. I was pretty excited to have it end up where it did.

WITB
D - Taylormade SIM 2, Kuro Kage 60x
5w - Taylormade SIM 2 Max, HZRDUS Smoke RDX 70g 6.5

4h - Taylormade SIM Max, Speeder Tour Spec 9.3x

2i - Callaway XForged UT, Recoil ES 780 F5

5i-PW - Mizuno 921 HMP, Project X LZ 6.0

Wedges - Mizuno T20 49*, Taylormade TP EF 54*, Vokey 60* M Grind
Putter - Mizuno M-Craft V

Ball - Mizuno RB Tour X

I did a fitting session yesterday to see how the new gear compares to my 12 degree Titleist 915D2 with a Tour Green shaft. I tried the 917D2, M1, Epic and Epic SZ. Of all the drivers the EpicSZ came out on top. I was told that the deeper face and lower spinning SZ would perform much better for my over the top, early released swing. It was interesting how the heavier shaft helped reduce how far left my path was. Enclosed is the data comparing the SZ to my current driver:

My first SZ came in with a way too light swingweight, and I think loft that was quite a bit more than the 9* stamped on the head. I called Callaway customer service about the swingweight, and they ended up sending me a whole new club rather than just sending me a heavier weight, they sent a whole new club. I ordered it with the Rogue 110 Silver 70x, and it performed well, but when I put the 125 MSI version in it, the club really started to work for me. The new head also seems to be the correct loft, so it's launching more where I want to see it.

I've played 2 rounds with the original one I got, and one with the new one (the latter in less than ideal conditions). The first round, I struggled with it until I got more comfortable late in the round. Second time out, I hit it really well, and the last time out (new head/125 MSI Rogue), that continued.

I came from a Ping G30 LST with Rogue 125 70 TX, and I still intend to do some on course comparison, but everything I've seen indicates that the SZ is longer and less likely to go right on me (my miss since changing my swing to hit a fade, primarily), so it's very likely going to be my driver this year.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

I have now played 3 rounds with Epic 10.5. I had a Wishon 919 and a smaller headed jdm driver (j Beam blackout) that I had hit very well for more than a year then poof the magic disappeared. The Wishon was very forgiving but short. The jdm was long but demanding.

The Epic is like the two mated and had an offspring. At least as long as the jdm and as forgiving as the Wishon.

I'm pretty weary of buying new clubs just because the wind shifted or because of hype but this driver is great and I haven't even tried to fine tune it yet.

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Well I'm still testing when the weather is above 50. Last years g sf etc is my gamer from last year. I did preliminary testing on launch monitors then some range work and then on to on course where it counts.

Jpx900 is leading in the club house, 569 evo 2 stiff. Straight, long and feels great, sound is much lower than Ping. Took it apart, 200 g head, 118 shaft/adapt/grip for 318. D4. Ping was 311 with 200 g head and 111 shaft/adapter/grip, diamana r series 50 stiff. D2

I'm getting about 10 yards more carry with the Mizuno on my golf caddie at the range but it is just so consistent.

The epic was purchased but sits in the basement, I've been using the ranges Epic for testing as I'm on the fence about keeping it. Mine is regular epic with 55 gram 6.0. Total weight 318, 192 head, 126 shaft/adapter/grip. D4, not sure what the range club was weight wise but it was the identical club.

All clubs are 45.

I used to love my cobra encore zl and used it for years but after the Ping the sound is just weird, thud like old wood. And the feel is well like plastic, you hit it and no Ping high pitched sound. I really think it's effecting me. I got used to the ping sound, ugh! But the club weighting is also effecting how it swings for me, well at least in my head.

But performance wise it is very forgiving but not any more than the other 2. Distance is on par with the mizuno.

To even it out next round of testing will be the ping g and epic with the Fuji evo 2 stiff in all three clubs.

Unless there is some revelation I'll probably keep all three for early course testing. Then 1 will go, maybe 2.

This is my last year of club hoeing as I've retired and I just don't get that much of a kick out of club testing anymore even though I have the time.

Think I'll just play when spring rolls around.

Mizuno ST-Max 10.5 Smoke RDX 50 5.5, AI Smoke 10.5 with HZRDOUS RDX RED 50 5.5

Mizuno ST-MaX 5 stock Kail'l R

Mizuno ST-Max 7 stock Kail'l R

AI Smoke HL 7-AW Nippon Neo 85

AI Smoke 7/8 Hybrid HZRDOUS Siver 65 Gen 4 5.5

Cleveland Full Face 52

Cleveland Full Face 56

Odyssey Jailbird 380

Titelist prov1x/Callaway Chrome Soft

I wish I would have had the chance to hit it with a shorter shaft, but I really love the Driver. My "big" miss has now been about 250 and in play on the right side. I'll find a shorter shaft on eBay or BST to tinker with.

The 3W isn't in yet, but I'm thinking the Cobra F7 5W should have been the purchase. I have to play 3W off the tee a lot on the courses I play, so I went for distance over overall playability.

I wish I would have had the chance to hit it with a shorter shaft, but I really love the Driver. My "big" miss has now been about 250 and in play on the right side. I'll find a shorter shaft on eBay or BST to tinker with.

The 3W isn't in yet, but I'm thinking the Cobra F7 5W should have been the purchase. I have to play 3W off the tee a lot on the courses I play, so I went for distance over overall playability.

I don't understand this. If you have to play 3w off the tee why are you concerned about distance? If your playing 3w off the tee it should be about control and finding the fairway to avoid trouble. If you need distance then hit the big dawg..

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

I don't understand this. If you have to play 3w off the tee why are you concerned about distance? If your playing 3w off the tee it should be about control and finding the fairway to avoid trouble. If you need distance then hit the big dawg..

This sort of gets at the heart of the eternal "3-wood as driver substitute" discussion on this site.

The jury is still out for me with my new Epic against the XR16. On the range the XR16 may still stay in the bag. Not sure I like the sound on the Epic and the ball flight is lower than I expected, even at 10.5 degree.

On the other hand the Epic Heavenwood is absolutely fantastic. Best club I bought in years besides putters. This has become my one and only fairly in my bag. I now go Driver, Heavenwood (turned down to 19 but flies as far as a 16 deg 3 wood), 19 hybrid, 21 hybrid and then to 5 iron.

I couldn't be happier with mine.

I really struggle with finding the fairway the past few years getting back into golf. I have played 4 rounds this year ( Ohio weather is terrible) and have hit more fairways even being rusty and still early in the year, than I hit in my best driving rounds of last season.

Do I think it's a gamechanger as far as faster ballspeeds and longer good for good....no.

Do I think it's a gamechanger for me as far as mishits still putting me in the fairway and not sacraficing distance...yes.

When I hit the middle of the face, the ball has next to no curve either way and only goes straight. When I miss a tad, I am seeing 5 yard movement in either direction with no real distance loss to speak of. Yes I am in the honeymoon period but this driver is everything I want it to be and more. Gives me the best chance to score well by finding the short grass more often.

Love the club.

Had mine for about 4 weeks now and been on course most days. Standard Epic 9° set to 10°. Pretty glad I got the Epic rather than the SZ although I prefer the look and feel of the SZ. Got 2 shafts Fujikura Pro green 62 and Speeder Evolution 2 665, but have been using the Pro Green. I cant say I like the sound but sort of getting used to it.

The demo I tested on course was typical of my preferred flight-pretty much straight with a hint of draw. This head produced a huge draw in standard setting so I had to fiddle with the slider. Ive almost got it to full fade setting to get the shape I want so I am glad I got the adjustability of the Epic. Didn't think the slider would make that much difference but it did for me. I understand that heads can be slightly different as I had that experience with my Ping G25.

The Epic overall it is as forgiving as my G25 was and its longer than the G25 and my M2. On average 8 yards.

It has a definite sweet spot, that produces a slightly different sound and feel. I go searching for that spot now, when you get that spot you dont even bother measuring..just smile!

Want an example? The 7th at my home base is a slight dog leg left. Usually with a good drive its a 8 or 9 iron in.On occasions I have hit my 46° in, but thats the exception rather than the norm. I hit one and you immediately know when you get that spot from the sound and feel. Its a subtle difference, but you know when.

I hit another off the same tee almost as good but not quite. Well I hit a 60° in. Choked down a touch too. Didn't hit the 2nd ball in but it was maybe 3 yards behind my first. Thats when you don't even bother measuring..... BTW is was wet.

Wasn't it Hogan who said best shot in golf-long walk with a putter? A short walk ain't bad either

So far so good. I randomly had to hit one during a round, it definitely seemed longer than my G30 LS TEC (which I was perfectly happy with). So I decided to go for a fitting. Maybe one of the best scenarios for a fitting - the wind was howling (hitting outdoors but in a shed), and my swing was not optimal to say the least, and the SZ blew away every other driver, like 15 yards better on crappy swings.

First round with it in the bag, still not swinging great, but did put one excellent swing on it - almost 300 yards carry. It was downhill, slight wind aided, but it landed in a place that normally I could only reach with full carry and roll in the Summer. So just need to figure out how to consistently do that :)

No remorse what's so ever. Bought it and with no time on range or practice with it my first drive was 295 yards, 2nd hole was 335 yards. I've been out driving everyone I play with.

Love the sound it makes when you hit the sweet spot, a very distinctive sound and very forgiving.

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond S  8.5* (Tensei 1k Pro Blue)

Fairway: Titleist TSR 3W (Tensei 1k Black)

Fairway: Titleist TSR 5W (Tensei 1K Pro Black)

Fairway: Titleist TSR 7W (Tensei 1K Pro Black)

Irons: PXG 0317T Xtreme Dark 5-PW (Dynamic Gold120 X100)

Wedge: Titleist SM9 48*

Wedge: Titleist SM9 54*

Wedge: Titleist SM9 58*

Putter: Scotty Cameron Champions Choice

Bought Epic on 2/10. On 2/13 I returned the Epic and had to "order" the SZ. It's been 3.5 weeks already and no club = remorse.

It doesn't make sense to shell out cash and be empty handed, particularly when the item's value has a very short shelf life. Very seriously might cancel my order.

917 D2 8.50* - Tensei CK Pro White 60
917 F2 13.5* - Rogue Max 70
816 H2 19.0* - D+ Plus 90
716 T-MB (3i, 4i) - Modus 120
716 CB (5-PW) - Modus 120
Hogan TK15 - 49, 55
Edel Deschutes

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1457364-pitchinwedges-witb/page__p__15152218#entry15152218"][color=#0000ff][b]Photo WITB[/b][/color][/url]

Bought Epic on 2/10. On 2/13 I returned the Epic and had to "order" the SZ. It's been 3.5 weeks already and no club = remorse.

It doesn't make sense to shell out cash and be empty handed, particularly when the item's value has a very short shelf life. Very seriously might cancel my order.

I agree, you should not be charged until it ships, period.

TM Stealth 2+ 10.5deg Hzrdus Smoke 4G Black 60 6.0

Titleist TSi2 16.5deg Hzrdus Smoke Black 70 6.0

TM Stealth 2+ 3 Hybrid Project X Black 80 stiff

TM P770 5-AW DG 105 S300

TM MG4 54/58 DG 105 S300

SC Newport Select 34" (rotate them)

TM TP5X

65* here in Ohio today and the only decent day for the next week so, so I snuck out. No remorse here at all. I absolutely love this thing....and the SZ 3w too. Can't wait until things firm up and we see how this bad boy really scoots.

TITLEIST TSI3 9* - HZRDUS T1100 HANDMADE 6.0 
PING G410 15* - MITZ TENSEI PRO ORANGE 70X
PING G410 17* & 19* - MITZ TENSEI BLUE X & EF BLACK X
SRIXON ZX7's - 4-PW w/SPECIAL, TOUR ISSUE, BLACK KBS TOUR V 125'S
CALLAWAY PM2 54* X & 58* X - ORIGINAL PX Satin 5.5's (HSx1)
ODYSSEY STROKE LAB EXO 7S - CUSTOM

SCOTTY CAMERON 2001 TOUR ISSUE 3x CHOCOLATE NEWPORT BEACH
2017 BRIDGESTONE B330 Tour #1's & TITLEIST PRO V #1'X