2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Ryo Ishikawa- the Japanese Ty Tryon?

Outlier

Ryo Ishikawa 14 Japan tour wins. 15 total.

Ty Tryon one win on the hooters tour.

How are they the same?

I'm not certain either is impressive.

I'd put the Japan Tour not much lower than the Web.com tour. A lot of good players from Japan, Korea and parts unknown. There are a lot of really great players from Japan that for whatever reason, just don't want to play in America.

His 14 wins also came before he was 20. The guy was a superstar in the making and his highlights are still played whenever he plays on the big tour. It's redundant and annoying, given the guy rarely breaks par these days. I am not a big fan, but you have to give him some credit. He just isn't long enough and his short game and putting are not enough to get it done. There are 100 guys like him that hit it 20-30 yards further. In addition, he's never had to do anything to get the big payday. Callaway pays him very close to what they pay Lefty. That's how important the Japan Market is.

Agree that Ryo has had a much better career than Tryon. $4 M PGA Tour earnings vs less than $200 K for Tryon. Like Tryon, he may have played his best golf as a teenager, but I do think the home cooking (and likely shorter courses) in Japan suit him better as he posted wins there in 2016, 2015 & 2014 (along with a bunch of wins as a teenager). Even if the courses are similar length, I think playing golf away from home, especially overseas, is tough to do. It doesn't shock me that his only PGA Tour Top 10 this year was in Asian. Some players (i.e. Bubba Watson) take a while to get comfortable and play their best golf abroad- different time zones, long travel, different languages/food, away from friends and family, etc. Feeling like a rock star in Japan might give him confidence to play his best, while struggling to make top 125 here is a different ball game.

How are they the same?

In my book, they're not even in the same stratosphere, lol

Ty had his card for what, one season?

I get that Ryo hasn't lived up to the hype, though as Greg pointed out, he's had some injury issues and he has had a runner-up in a Tour event with Top-30's in all of the Majors, along with keeping his card multiple years.

I realize that that's not HoF stuff however to mention he and Tyree in the same comparison, at least to me, is a tremendous slight to Ryo, and I got to Play with Ty down in Fla and like the guy, as he was very nice guy and I was hoping that he'd turn it around.

He's the epitome of a world class talent who couldn't master their mental game.

Have a nice week?

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

How are they the same?

I'm not certain either is impressive.

I'd put the Japan Tour not much lower than the Web.com tour. A lot of good players from Japan, Korea and parts unknown. There are a lot of really great players from Japan that for whatever reason, just don't want to play in America.

His 14 wins also came before he was 20. The guy was a superstar in the making and his highlights are still played whenever he plays on the big tour. It's redundant and annoying, given the guy rarely breaks par these days. I am not a big fan, but you have to give him some credit. He just isn't long enough and his short game and putting are not enough to get it done. There are 100 guys like him that hit it 20-30 yards further. In addition, he's never had to do anything to get the big payday. Callaway pays him very close to what they pay Lefty. That's how important the Japan Market is.

Great points Christen!!

Excellent post?

Fairways & Greens 4ever My Friend

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Thank you good sir,

It's impossible not to follow Ryo Ishikawa here in Japan... Fascinatingly, he's more famous than Hideki here, until you ask a hardcore golfer.

Basically, the guys game is not suited for the long courses in America. On the other hand, Hideki is, IMO, the best ball striker out there right now - just amazing comination of power and finesse. He is consistently in contention and if it weren't for putting, he'd be a major champion already - Last year's PGA was so painful to watch him dominate from tee to green all four days. Like I said, on Japanese TV we see every shot these guys play (just about every Japanese player has his own TV crew in America). Hideki has worked on his weakness and now he can blow away a field, and it looks like the guy doesn't feel any final day pressure (US Open, this week). Ishikawa? He's maxed out for power, and struggling to find more yards you give up accuracy. I think he's going to bounce out of the PGA tour before long. Maybe you'll see him on the Web.com for a little while... And Callaway might get him some spots in places like the Greater Springfield Memorial Invitational by Bed, Bath and Beyond.

Ryo was supposed to be the great Japanese player but then came Hideki and now it's more like Ryo who? Matteo started out hot on the European tour mainly because he won tour event at the age of 16 IIRC. Then he got stronger and I think he maxed out his distance and hasn't been able to keep up with the new bombers on the Euro tour.

I'm basically talking rubbish here, but I feel like Hideki really broke the mould and proved that a Japanese player can dominate on the modern tour with both power and precision (putting aside) and actually step up and seize victories whereas guys like Ryo and the few Japanese players who have had any level of success on the PGA tour seem content to play well and put in a decent showing but lack the real belief that they can beat top guys.

When you are constantly fighting for more yards, your accuracy suffers. Some guys learn to deal with that better than others. Others search for more yards by changing their swing or going to the gym. And, I am sure there are some mental issues as well - as what is written above about being content with a strong finish rather than winning etc.

• 1 year later...

I notice he won the most recent event on the JGTO, the Japan PGA Championship, for his first win in almost thee years,

[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

If Ty Tyron was sat reading this, I’d bet that he would have loved the career that Ishikawa has had and potentially still could have.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

> @Hankshank said:

> Is he like gone on PGA tour level or could come back? Was that Japan win just a fluke win?

He's still only 27, Steve Stricker won comeback player twice so its possible.

Of course as noted above Ryo has other obstacles like language, culture etc. It must be a huge departure for player from Japan, Korea etc. to play full-time in the US or Europe. I'm a little surprised he hasn't had an attempt in Europe with the Rolex Series.

[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]