Why do so many people have "back up" clubs??

indianalawnguy

Why do so many people have so called "back up" sets of clubs? Not talking about the guy that has a couple sets of irons and 6 putters. I'm talking about the people that have complete sets of the latest and greatest!! I read earlier about a guy who bought a new Ping G400 as a back up driver??? I don't get?? I don't understand the guys that have a home set and a set in florida(or the lakes) either??? I understand it's mostly out of convenience, but how do you expect to play your best golf with a back up set instead of your daily gamers that you practice and play with regularly.

I realize that the airlines lose clubs and people can slide right into their back up set, but come on? There are people on this great site that have just as much $ in a back up set as they do their 1st stringers! I've had clubs stolen and had to throw a set together before, but not a back up set.

Sorry for the rant, but even when I played golf for a living I didn't have a back up set!!!

Am I missing somthing?

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do so many people have so called "back up" sets of clubs?

No offense, but why do you care what other people do with their money?

It was just a simple question? Sounds like you have a different set for every day of the week! I bet you are a real "player"!

It's nice to paint with a broad brush. Again, why do you care what people do with their money? BTW, I have one set and it's minimalist at that.

All I care about......I do not become a hoarder......I am showing symptoms already........Help !!!!

[size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]driver - Titleist 915 D3 10.5[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]fairway - Ping I25 18 degree 5 wood
hybrid - Ben Hogan VKTR 19 & 23
Irons - Mizuno MP68 3-PW
wedges Mizuno MP-T5 50-58
putter - Ping Sigma G Doon[/font][/size]

Probably different reasons. I think it's a valid question. I still have 3 sets, but that is just what I have accumulated over 40 years of golfing. Some people like to change out yearly and get a new set, that's fine with me, it's their money. If I had a home in say Michigan and a winter residence in Florida I would definitely have a set in both places. I generally can play equally well with different clubs as long as I have time to hit a few balls. Then there are the hoarders, they can never fulfill their desire to buy a new set. Counseling is their best choice. ?

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

Why do so many people have so called "back up" sets of clubs?

No offense, but why do you care what other people do with their money?

It was just a simple question? Sounds like you have a different set for every day of the week! I bet you are a real "player"!

It's nice to paint with a broad brush. Again, why do you care what people do with their money? BTW, I have one set and it's minimalist at that.

I don't care what people do with their money. I'm just curious as to why some people have 2 or more of everything including the bag and # of tees in the bag! I love equipment just as much as the next guy, but for example 2 Taylormade M2 drivers w identical loft?? Are they afraid one of them is going to break before their Tuesday night league? Do they want an extra in case their gamer is stolen? I dont know? That's why I'm asking? I've never been in my local Golf Galaxy and thought...hmmm I really like the way this 3 wood sits....i think I will buy it as a "back up"!

As a minimalist golfer you have never wondered re same?

Probably different reasons. I think it's a valid question. I still have 3 sets, but that is just what I have accumulated over 40 years of golfing. Some people like to change out yearly and get a new set, that's fine with me, it's their money. If I had a home in say Michigan and a winter residence in Florida I would definitely have a set in both places. I generally can play equally well with different clubs as long as I have time to hit a few balls. Then there are the hoarders, they can never fulfill their desire to buy a new set. Counseling is their best choice.

The question could be called valid, it's the OP"s accompanying judgement and subsequent "it''s just a simple question!" indignation that's rubbing some the wrong way.

It's just the latest "why don't you do things the way I do?" thread.

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

Personally I have a pretty much identical set for a residence in NJ and family in Florida's house, so I don't have to continually pay to check a golf bag, and I don't like selling too much of my equipment, so it accumulates, and you just never know you may want to pull a club you played well with when another isn't making the cut.

Someone may also have sticky fingers at a course I'm not familiar with, car may get broken into at anytime as I usually have a bag in there.

*As for others, just like all hobbies...may have a passion for equipment. I see know problem with that at all, nor a problem with what they do with their money. We all have our passions, there are multiple members on this site who have $50-100k+ in putters, and other golf related gallery products.

**another thing to consider, not everyone on this site is buying from a big box store, lots of guys on WRX are tied into the industry in one way or another. So there are a lot of samples, demos, etc.

Titleist 917 D3 Tour Spec Speeder
Titleist 917 F2 Tensei Orange
Titleist 818 H2 Tensei White
Titleist 718 CB 4-PW KBS C-Taper Limited Gun Metal
PXG Darkness 52/58 MCI-100 black
009 ProV1

As a minimalist golfer you have never wondered the same?

I have never wondered nor cared about how others use their discretionary income nor why they have duplicates, triplicates, quadruplicates, etc. of anything they wish to purchase...

So why are you in the thread ?

Personally I don't understand the backup thing either, UNLESS he's a serious player that travels a lot for tournaments. A guy like that will go to length to have backups that are as close to exactly the same as the "originals".

I've never had a backup set or a backup driver. I do have some older clubs that I keep for a while and if I ever did have a driver stolen I could use an older one until I replaced the gamer.

But mostly when a club goes into the closet the only time it sees the light of day it again is when I get ready to pack it up to ship to someone else. LOL

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

As a minimalist golfer you have never wondered the same?

I have never wondered nor cared about how others use their discretionary income nor why they have duplicates, triplicates, quadruplicates, etc. of anything they wish to purchase...

So why are you in the thread ?

Personally I don't understand the backup thing either, UNLESS he's a serious player that travels a lot for tournaments. A guy like that will go to length to have backups that are as close to exactly the same as the "originals".

I've never had a backup set or a backup driver. I do have some older clubs that I keep for a while and if I ever did have a driver stolen I could use an older one until I replaced the gamer.

But mostly when a club goes into the closet the only time it sees the light of day it again is when I get ready to pack it up to ship to someone else. LOL

Because it doesn't really matter, does it?

I like to leave a set in club storage and have a set in the basement. First world problem not to want to drive 5 minutes to the club to get my sticks. Could be after hours I guess. They're easy to buy and hard to sell. But, I lost the head of a hybrid warming up for a big tournament and swore I'd have a back up from then on out.

I like to leave a set in club storage and have a set in the basement. First world problem not to want to drive 5 minutes to the club to get my sticks. Could be after hours I guess. They're easy to buy and hard to sell. But, I lost the head of a hybrid warming up for a big tournament and swore I'd have a back up from then on out.

Not a word of a lie I had my car stolen as a junior a couple nights before an important tournament. Clubs, shoes and rain gear gone because I was too lazy to bring my stuff inside

I used a borrowed set of my dads and now that I’m an adult and can have a backup set in case something happens I can.

I love shipping my backup sticks ahead of me on holidays if something happens I don’t really care too much.

I don't really get it either, but overall if it makes people happy it's better than doing cocaine or something.

I mean i love clubs. But i've never bought something thinking it would be a backup only. My "backup" sets are just clubs i own that at one point i thought i would use, and then found something i like better.

Buying something new to use as a backup when you already have something that works doesn't make sense to me....but i mean, in the grand scheme of things, it's not something to put too much thought into

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

A "backup" to me is a duplicate club...like when Lee Westwood had 10 G10

driver heads as back ups......that he got for free, of course.

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition Driver 10.5 w/TFC 50D

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition 3W 16 w/TFC 50F

Ping Rapture V2 5W 19 w/TFC 939F

Ping G410 Hybrid 22 w/Accra FX 2.0 

Callaway RAZR X 5-SW w/Callaway Steel Uniflex

Ping Gorge Tour 60 Lob Wedge w/KBS Wedge

SLED Gemini

I do it just in case my gamers are lost in transit or stolen...hasn't happened so far (knock on wood). Till then, I'll keep accumulating more "backup replacements".

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

Not sure how you could have played golf for a living and not had a second set of clubs but stranger things I guess...

I've always had at least one set of backups. They're always an identical set so they are still the ones I play and practice with. Gear wears out, gets broken, gets lost, needs repairs and gets stolen. It would be like making a living with your car and driving around without a spare tire. To each his own. :-)

XRP 8.5* XS
XRP #3 XS
Cally Apex MB 3i-9i PX 7.0
Cally MD3 52*/56*/60*
Scotty Studio Select Custom

I have 4 complete bags. Three regular playing sets and a set of 1963 MacGregors that I play on rare occasions. Do I need them? No. But I like clubs. So, I get them when I find a great deal. As for having to get used to them when I change sets, there's no need. Having been a clubmaker since the early 80's, I just matched them all so they feel the same. No adjustment at all. Well, that is since I stopped using my Black Chrome MP14s. Damned offset screwed with my head every time I played them. BTW, they're going on the BST soon. Anyway, that's my deal. Don't know if it makes sense though, just the way I am.

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize