Any news on the Next Titleist Driver???

Hmmm.. 919 might require a TPI fitting to see if it can unseat the People's Champ 917 D3 :tongue: :partytime2:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From one of my favourites on YouTube

This is so good. Can we make watching this video a prerequisite before somebody wants to post about how spinny Titleist drivers are? It's just such a bush league comment to make.

Hzrdus T1100 vs Tensei Pro White..Pretty sure the T1100 is a much lower spinning shaft....Epic(higher spin of Callaway Models) vs D3(lowest spin of Titleist Models)

No Doubt if fit properly with an unlimited Budget you can get Titleist to spin around what you want.

Most golfers arent willing to Spend $250+ for an upcharge shaft

If you are familiar with Toll Bros shaft review, the T1100 spun about 200 RPM's less than the Tensei Pro White. Just like the D3 head probably spins about 200 RPM's lower than the D2. I think we get caught up in spin way too much. Given equal launch conditions and a ball speed of 165 mph, a ball that spins 2k RPM's is 3 yards longer than one that spins 2,500 RPM's. Very negligible.

I have seen the post by Toll Bros its great and appreciated. Just saying it is not apples to apples. Different shafts + probably different lofts. With exotic custom shafts you can dial in any driver now a days.

Again I think its your average golfer going to golf galaxy and hitting your stock no up charge Titleist Shafts vs Stock TM/Callaway Shafts. I can speak for myself, without spending big up-charge money I spin a M3 hzrdus black 6.0 65 much lower then I spin a D3 w/ D White Stiff.

Just depends how much you want to spend

From one of my favourites on YouTube

This is so good. Can we make watching this video a prerequisite before somebody wants to post about how spinny Titleist drivers are? It's just such a bush league comment to make.

Hzrdus T1100 vs Tensei Pro White..Pretty sure the T1100 is a much lower spinning shaft....Epic(higher spin of Callaway Models) vs D3(lowest spin of Titleist Models)

No Doubt if fit properly with an unlimited Budget you can get Titleist to spin around what you want.

Most golfers arent willing to Spend $250+ for an upcharge shaft

If you are familiar with Toll Bros shaft review, the T1100 spun about 200 RPM's less than the Tensei Pro White. Just like the D3 head probably spins about 200 RPM's lower than the D2. I think we get caught up in spin way too much. Given equal launch conditions and a ball speed of 165 mph on FlightScope optimizer, a ball that spins 2k RPM's is 3 yards longer than one that spins 2,500 RPM's. Very negligible.

Haha. Every review on this site is someone saying "xxxxxx driver / shaft is great. I was able to get 1900 spin win it". They never talk about hitting more fairways. Never talk about better misses. It's always the one perfect swing where they get low spin.

I prefer to focus on my misses. I'll take a driver that spins a little more but keeps me in the fairway. TOO much spin isn't a good thing. But the key is finding a good balance.

I tell you this spin obsession has become an actual problem. People don’t understand there is a lower limit on good spin numbers.

I swear that I was on another thread this weekend and a guy was asking advice on whether he should spend the extra money to get a CK Pro white on his M4 “to get his spin down”.

He had his LM data using the stock tensei. CHS 103, spin 1775........1775 !! And he was seriously considering spending more money to try and get it lower!!

I’m like buddy,....You’re going the wrong direction. It’s sad that the uneducated jack off in the store is trying to upsell you, but you need to get ABOVE 2000 or your ball is going to fall out of the sky like a dead duck on certain mishits.

I tell you this spin obsession has become an actual problem. People don’t understand there is a lower limit on good spin numbers.

I swear that I was on another thread this weekend and a guy was asking advice on whether he should spend the extra money to get a CK Pro white on his M4 “to get his spin down”.

He had his LM data using the stock tensei. CHS 103, spin 1775........1775 !! And he was seriously considering spending more money to try and get it lower!!

I’m like buddy,....You’re going the wrong direction. It’s sad that the uneducated jack off in the store is trying to upsell you, but you need to get ABOVE 2000 or your ball is going to fall out of the sky like a dead duck on certain mishits.

I've discovered this myself with a ton of time I've spent over the years testing drivers. There is a huge difference between a playable driver in tournament/pressure/etc. conditions and a driver that's a launch monitor queen chasing max ball speed and lowest spin. The latter sure is fun on the 10/10 hits, but even as a scratch golfer, I miss the center enough for it to matter on how forgiving a driver is - a little extra spin and launch is your friend. But I do enjoy the Titleist bashing here on WRX.. always some good stuff :)

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

Boy think how much better Justin Thomas would be if he wasn't burdened with that high spinning Titleist driver..Might even be POY, oh wait he already is.....

It always comes back to this. If Titleist drivers spin so much, why do so many guys on tour have so much success with them? I don't intend to be mean, but saying something "Titleist drivers spin to much" is a pretty dumb thing to say. I mean, they spin too much for what? Winning Majors? Winning Fed-Ex Cups? Being used on winning Ryder Cup teams? Winning U.S. Amateur titles? What exactly can a Titleist driver not accomplish due to its apparent outlandishly unplayable spin rate? Geez...

Standing Ovation, sir!

Encore!....

Newsflash: If DJ or Jason Day, or Jon Rahm, or Bubba Watson, or Rickie Fowler hit the 917, their #'s would be right where they are today. All this crap about spin makes me LOLOL. We're talking minor decimal points in terms of ball speed off the comparable drivers, and 90% of the spin is created by your swing. Don't you slicers know a square club face reduces spin?.....

Newsflash: If DJ or Jason Day, or Jon Rahm, or Bubba Watson, or Rickie Fowler hit the 917, their #'s would be right where they are today. All this crap about spin makes me LOLOL. We're talking minor decimal points in terms of ball speed off the comparable drivers, and 90% of the spin is created by your swing. Don't you slicers know a square club face reduces spin?.....

I love Titleist they make great stix. I would love to compare a D3 with Hzrdus black to my current gamer but dont want to shell out $250+ for the shaft.

But the whole pro argument is just weak. They are the best players in the world with the best fittings/shafts available to them at all times. Of course they can play any clubs

Majority of golfers out there will not pay for upcharge shafts.

I love Titleist they make great stix. I would love to compare a D3 with Hzrdus black to my current gamer but dont want to shell out $250+ for the shaft.

But the whole pro argument is just weak. They are the best players in the world with the best fittings/shafts available to them at all times. Of course they can play any clubs

Majority of golfers out there will not pay for upcharge shafts.

Absolutely. The shaft combo is key. Rory thought the Callaway/Vokey setup he had was perfect for him, 2 months later TM is the greatest thing ever.....LOL

The people that aren't willing to get fitted or are willing to pay for what they are properly fitted for also don't get the full benefit of today's tech. Is a 15 handicap really going to gain a massive benefit going from an off the rack aeroburner to an off the rack m4? maybe 2 out of 10 high handicapers will and its probably because they are mentally believing the new tech will pay off. As a guy that plays a 917 and have tested with different weights/shaft combos vs other drivers testing the same criteria I can say the 917 performs better for me than anything else I've hit or owned. People shell out massive amounts of money for the new great thing straight off the rack and never benefit from the full potential because they never get properly fitted. I've always been a fan of places like club champion where you can try endless head/shaft combos and buy what works best for you. Any hack can read an online review seeing where one man benefited but waste $500 on a driver and see no change at all.

[b]Titleist [color=#ff0000]917 D2 10.5 Matrix Rul 60X[/color][/b]
[b]Titleist [color=#ff0000]915F 15* Matrix RUL 70X[/color][/b]
[b][color=#000000]Tour Edge [/color][color=#ff0000]CB Pro Tungsten 2 iron with Speeder Pro[/color][/b]
[b]Titleist [color=#ff0000]4-PW[/color] [color=#ff0000]716 AP2 AMT X100[/color][/b]
[b]Titleist [color=#ff0000]SM6 54 & 58 TI S400[/color][/b]
[b][color=#000000]Scotty Cameron [/color][color=#ff0000]Futura 5MB[/color][/b]

epic had higher spin for me over ls tec 917 did not

problem was many of test shafts from rep had slick grips and it was fairly cold/windy that day

look and feel of clubs were excellent..hope shafts offered are not watered down and not arm and leg to choose std options

those with higher spin try being at 0 or slightly + AOA if possible...just sayin'

if they do have cheetah I want that on headcover and please make me a sock...need that shaft protection

"We have learned that we must
live as men, not as ostriches, nor
as dogs in the manger." FDR

Driver Taylor Made Stealth 2 HD 10.5
Stealth 2 
Stealth 2 Hybrid 3, 4, 5 
Irons Mizuno JPX923 Hot metal
Wedges Vokey SM9 50, 54, 58
Putter Scotty Special Select Flowback 5
Ball Taylor Made Tour Response

When I tried the 917 with my gamer shaft on Trackman outside, I was getting 2100 spin which is just about perfect with my 13-14 launch - the slightly lower (but still playable) spin helped me hold my line in crosswinds.

I will echo lots of you that say spin is your friend - I totally agree and wouldn't dare want my spin to be less than 2000. In testing, the Epic SZ felt and looked wonderful, but the spin wasn't close to playable for me.

Titleist TSi3 10* (at 9.25*) w/ Tour AD DI 6X 
Titleist TSR2 15* w/ Tour AD MJ 8X
Titleist TSR2 18* Hybrid w/ Fuji Atmos Blue Tour Spec 8X

Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3 iron w/ KBS Tour V S HS'd
Titleist 716CB 4-P w/ DG AMT TI X100 SS'd
Vokey SM7 Slate Blue 54.10 (1* strong) and 58.08 with Onyx DGTI S400
PING PLD Anser D 35"

2021 ProV1 or Left Dash ProV1x (or random other tour quality balls LOL)

Do you have a link to the whole patent? Can’t tell much from just the first page.

Edit.....sorry. Just figured out how to navigate the page. Duh. Thanks.

I'm so happy I'm a mid spin player I could care less about reducing spin! Spin can be your friend in the proper design. Launch angle of 17 degrees and spin in the 1000's is nothing more than a pop up! BB

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

These arguments... :huh:

Now it's a guarantee that you have to spend $250 for a good shaft for your Titleist head? Just curious, how is it possible that my perfect fit can be found for $67 online?

I guess the Titleist hate thread is there for good reason.

Titleist TSi3 8º - LAGP DJ 65-6
Titleist TSi3 15º - LAGP TourAxs Blue 
Mizuno Pro 225 2i - C-TaperL
Mizuno Pro 245  5-GW C-Taper 
Mizuno T22  52º, 56º, 60º C-Taper

Scotty Special Select Newport 2 
Titleist Left Dash -ProV1x

Now it's a guarantee that you have to spend $250 for a good shaft for your Titleist head? Just curious, how is it possible that my perfect fit can be found for $67 online?

The Blue is the bomb, Bomber.

Have one in my Launcher 460 I played for years.

I will say that the KKDC 70tx is the bees knees though.

The grafalloy blue is an awesome shaft it just feels really stiff.

TSR3 TSi3 3 Wood | 915H 18 |  T150 4-PW Vokey SM9  50, 54, 58 |  Ping PLD Anser 2D

Let me just throw a grenade into this conversation, here is some possible info on the new Titleist Driver, good luck figuring out. Just cut and paste into your browser if the link doesn't work

http://pdfpiw.uspto....t%26RS=Acushnet

Jailbreak on an angle - to get around the Callaway patent?

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

Can we sum this up as "If you don't like Titleist , then don't play it" simply put, if you get better numbers elsewhere then fine, options are good. Is that not enough ? Will you not rest until Titleist is out of the golf biz? The hate is real lol

G400 LST
TM SLDR TS
Apex UT 18'
Apex MB 18'
RTX 2.0 Raw
Ping Anser Milled

Went through my Titleist Thursday fitting today for my driver/3w. What a great experience. My fitter had just returned from TPI and hinted at a few things. Pro's have already hit it. All things lead to a composite crown. More of the same that has been mentioned earlier on this thread BUT he did add the following:

1. Perhaps only 1 head shape.

2. 45.5" standard - chasing that distance.

3. Potentially going toward Tensei for stock shaft options.

I got all shaky in my boots!

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 - Ventus Blue 6S
Ping G410 LST 3wd - Alta Stiff

Srixon ZX5 MKii, 3i - KBS C-Taper Lite S 110g
Srixon ZX7 MKii, 4-PW - KBS C-Taper Lite S 110g
Cleveland Zipcore Raw 50, 55, 60 - DG S400
Odyssey Prototype #9

2 things I'd love to see from the next Titleist...a weight kit included in the purchase of a driver and them ditching the stupid diamana shafts and getting some new options previously not offered (like the new proforce v2, hzrdus, etc) without an upcharge. $500 is enough for a driver, it's ridiculous what a weight kit and shaft upcharge can bring the total to.

Maybe a third model, a hybrid of the d3 and d2, could be fun also.

Have to admit, for the price point and the ABILITY to mess with the weight set up, it is more than a little irritating that the weight kits are so expensive.

I Agree completely that if you want to charge 5 bills for a driver with a stock shaft you should be able to throw in a damn weight kit as a nice freebie. At a minimum they should be FAR more affordable. It’s completely negating the point of the adjustability feature of the head if almost no one actually uses it.

I have a 9.5 and a 10.5 D3 and I mess with the weight using a combination of hot melt and lead tape.

.....and I happen to love them. I need to enjoy looking at a driver. They are pretty. And with 10 grams of hot melt in them they sound wonderful. More muted and solid sounding than Stock.

I’ve never actually been on a launch monitor with them and don’t care much about spin. This website is utterly freaking obsessed with spin. It’s weird. Bordering on psychotic. They look good, they sound good, the flight is good, I can work them both ways, and I’m longer than 99% of the people Ive played with in the last 18 months since I’ve had them. They go 300+ in the summer when the fairways are running fast. Good enough for me.

Although I will be first in line to buy the new one if it still stays pretty and gets solid reviews. Stick my KKDC 70TX on it and be good for 2 more years.

That shaft has been incredible for me. I’ve got two 70’s and a 60tx.

if you spun a driver 3500-4k with some combos youd be concerned with spin too. its a real problem for some higher speed players... i work harder to control it with driver than i do with a full wedge... and thats saying something

THat being said. 917 Titleist doesn’t spin more than most. It isn’t low spin. But isn’t higher than m1 etc either. Some true low spin heads out there like sldr etc it cant compete with. But that’s outlier stuff.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Went through my Titleist Thursday fitting today for my driver/3w. What a great experience. My fitter had just returned from TPI and hinted at a few things. Pro's have already hit it. All things lead to a composite crown. More of the same that has been mentioned earlier on this thread BUT he did add the following:

45.5 standard length would be disappointing.

45.5 standard length would be disappointing.

Very much so.