Any news on the Next Titleist Driver???

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

89 here at my course in SC. He said the new driver is releasing end of August, early Sept. Said they have made the best driver on the market and will go farther than anything out there. He said he wasn't sure why but R&D this is what they decided to do. Everyone wants distance he said so they have produced big time. He couldn't give specs but said it will be leaking soon. Said it looks nothing like they've had before..Driver, Fairway Woods. Confirmed called 919. Omg............

I fear additional distance will come at a price. Love the consistency and forgiveness the 15 and 17 models have.

I hope they haven't made drastic changes in appearance. I love Titleist because of the clean look and the 917 performs very well for me. So I hope they don't make it so "hot" that you loose the usability.

Driver - Titleist 917D2 8.5
3 wood - Titleist 917F2 15
Hybrids - Titleist 915Hd 20
Irons - Titleist 716MB 4-9
Wedges - Titleist SM6 48/52/56/62
Putter - Scotty Studio Select Newport 2

I almost literally cannot wait for this club. I was swinging poorly when I was fit for my current gamer and now I'm hitting my 5 wood farther and straighter than my driver.

Should I experiment with a no driver bag for a golf season while I wait for this or get the 917 and skip this upcoming generation?

You can bet that if the 919 is better, it will only be better by a couple yards. I would go ahead and get fit for a 917.

If the 919 is more than a couple of yards better, the USGA will have to make it illegal.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

Titleist need a driver as soon as possible. Nobody I know has anything newer than a 915. Their low hcp fan base has disappeared to TM, Cally and some Ping LST heads. I know they do understated but that is not the game at the moment. Justin Thomas is the best player on the planet and he games the driver....yet nobody is following suit.

Titleist need a driver as soon as possible. Nobody I know has anything newer than a 915. Their low hcp fan base has disappeared to TM, Cally and some Ping LST heads. I know they do understated but that is not the game at the moment. Justin Thomas is the best player on the planet and he games the driver....yet nobody is following suit.

Good point and I think even they realise it if as people have said above the pros will have them by The Players and we’ll have them end of August beginning of September. Usually July for the pros, early Autumn for us.

Anybody have an idea on shaft options? Hoping they have all of the Tensei Pro’s as an upcharge.

89 here at my course in SC. He said the new driver is releasing end of August, early Sept. Said they have made the best driver on the market and will go farther than anything out there. He said he wasn't sure why but R&D this is what they decided to do. Everyone wants distance he said so they have produced big time. He couldn't give specs but said it will be leaking soon. Said it looks nothing like they've had before..Driver, Fairway Woods. Confirmed called 919. Omg............

The hype is real!

Sounds like virtually all new driver releases from any company (insert company name here) and any rep.

Epic Flash SZ 9.5* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65X
Epic Flash 15.0* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75X
Apex '19 20* Fujikura Atmos HB TS Blue 8X
X-Forged UT 21* KBS C-Taper Lite X
Apex CF19 Combo #5-P KBS $-Taper 120
MD4 Raw 50-S/56-X/60-S KBS 610 120
Odyssey MXM-V #7 "Tank" @ 38"
Snell MTB-X / Chrome Soft X Triple Track

The hype is real!

Sounds like virtually all new driver releases from any company (insert company name here) and any rep.

HAHA. I heard from a guy who heard from a guy that the new 919 is guaranteeing to go an extra 15+ yards, have work ability, loft variability from 5-14*, come with free premium shaft upgrades (not built for but true aftermarket) in your length preference of 43-48", premium scotty cameron type stitched headcover with your custom initials, in 4 head color options, with a free weight kit included. And they will include a dozen AVX golf balls and snapback cap with your purchase.

not sure if this is a joke or not,, is there an R&D dept that "decides" not to try and be the farthest hitting driver out?

917D3 8.5 Oban Kiyoshi Tour Ltd 60-04
915F 15 Speeder Evo 661S Blue
716 T-MB 2 Project X LZ 6.0
716 T-MB 4 Modus3 125S
714 AP2 Modus3 125S
SC Buttonback Newport 34"
TVD M 50/54
TVD V 60

I'd bet they have objectives in kind, weather it be forgiveness, distance, or workability. If it's anything like system design there's a massive list of requirements that have to be met.

As for weather or not there will be massive improvements, I'd wager it would be the normal titleist routine; something that will be technologically better, but still perform (fairly) similar to the previous generation assuming a player is properly fit for both. I gotta say going from a 915 to a 917 didnt change too much, but the sound is much better imo, and I feel having the adjustable weights has helped eliminate a few snap hooks here and there. Or who knows it could be a coincidence, same shaft tho

I'd bet they have objectives in kind, weather it be forgiveness, distance, or workability. If it's anything like system design there's a massive list of requirements that have to be met.

As for weather or not there will be massive improvements, I'd wager it would be the normal titleist routine; something that will be technologically better, but still perform (fairly) similar to the previous generation assuming a player is properly fit for both. I gotta say going from a 915 to a 917 didnt change too much, but the sound is much better imo, and I feel having the adjustable weights has helped eliminate a few snap hooks here and there. Or who knows it could be a coincidence, same shaft tho

I noticed some significant (to me) improvements between the two - lower spin AND better feel/sound, slightly higher launch, and the charcoal appearance was much more attractive. I've hit more bombs already with my 917 (had since October) than I ever had with my 915 (over 2 years).

Titleist TSi3 10* (at 9.25*) w/ Tour AD DI 6X 
Titleist TSR2 15* w/ Tour AD MJ 8X
Titleist TSR2 18* Hybrid w/ Fuji Atmos Blue Tour Spec 8X

Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3 iron w/ KBS Tour V S HS'd
Titleist 716CB 4-P w/ DG AMT TI X100 SS'd
Vokey SM7 Slate Blue 54.10 (1* strong) and 58.08 with Onyx DGTI S400
PING PLD Anser D 35"

2021 ProV1 or Left Dash ProV1x (or random other tour quality balls LOL)

I noticed some significant (to me) improvements between the two - lower spin AND better feel/sound, slightly higher launch, and the charcoal appearance was much more attractive. I've hit more bombs already with my 917 (had since October) than I ever had with my 915 (over 2 years).

I wish more OEM's would go back to a gray finish like that. It looks great. My friend had a 915 that was considerably shorter than the M2 he's playing now. Not to mention it was loud and tinny feeling. I haven't personally hit the 917, but I know a few people who love it. If I were in the market, it would be on my radar.

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

This sounds like the rep was following the script, which they have to. That's the job. But are they really going to say anything other than it's the best and longest driver out there?

This sounds like the rep was following the script, which they have to. That's the job. But are they really going to say anything other than it's the best and longest driver out there?

Pretty soon we will get the reports back from guys who have hit it and they're seeing higher ball speeds than their current gamers. Hopefully Titleist will do something different with the new driver. I played the 915 and the 917 didn't really do anything for me.

Pretty soon we will get the reports back from guys who have hit it and they're seeing higher ball speeds than their current gamers. Hopefully Titleist will do something different with the new driver. I played the 915 and the 917 didn't really do anything for me.

It will be just like every other driver on the market. Paired with the right shaft some will indeed see higher ball speeds. However a lot won't. There'll be nothing inherently revolutionary about this driver despite what the Titlesit marketing guff says.

I doubt the rep mentioned above is really being "honest". Titleist is known to stick to their bread and butter, which is conservative looking, nice feeling, friendly clubs. I don't think they are going to come out with some kind of "crazy" tech. That's the Callaway/TM cup of tea... and it always gets proven that crazy tech is usually just a little bit of smoke and mirrors.

For me, it's just coming down to what sounds/feels the best, looks nice and provides me the best ball speed when I don't hit the center. My M2 already can get 1.50 smash on a perfect strike, so I'm really never going to gain much distance.. maybe a couple yards at most from optimizing launch which is a touch too high with my M2.

The hype is real!

HAHA. I heard from a guy who heard from a guy that the new 919 is guaranteeing to go an extra 15+ yards, have work ability, loft variability from 5-14*, come with free premium shaft upgrades (not built for but true aftermarket) in your length preference of 43-48", premium scotty cameron type stitched headcover with your custom initials, in 4 head color options, with a free weight kit included. And they will include a dozen AVX golf balls and snapback cap with your purchase.

Dang I was all in till you said AVX gold balls, I cant switch from the ProV1. Guess I'm going with the Hammer this year!!

Maybe there will be a C18 series like the last time. The C16 driver was kind of a dud with the 917 being better. But the C16 irons were amazing and are still better than the AP1 and AP3 irons. Decent looking at address especially compared to the monstrous Ping G700. Still the longest hollow body iron (or even foam filled). Hauled my 2 year old set out, longer than PXG, P790, TMB, Rogue X, AP1, AP3, G700. The PXG and 790 are the best looking at address, but the C16 is next and far better than the others at address. Actually has a decent sound at impact unlike the hideous noise the G700 makes.

If what has been rumored is true, it makes me a bit hesitant. The biggest reasons I've loved gaming Titleist drivers over the years has been the feel and consistent performance. Chasing distance is a gamble that could really pay off for them but it could equally dilute their customer base who have bought their drivers for the reasons I have outlined and who have kept away from the TM and Callaway offerings.

Taylormade Stealth + 10.5 (Mitsubishi Kai'li White 60S)

Titleist 913F 15 (Mitsubishi Diamana S+ 70)

Titleist 712U 2I (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist 680 MB 4-W (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist Vokey SM5 50,54,58 (True Temper Dynamic Gold S200)

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 SS

ProV1

A modernized 440cc version of the 975D would be nice.

I would take a modernized 905S. That thing was a low spin bomber and looked great. But really I love my 917 and might pick up a back up as they get discounted.

Titleist TSi3 10* TPO 1K 60-TX
Titleist 917F3 15* VA Composite Drago 75-X (Ai Smoke TD otw)
Titleist T200 3 UB Thump 90-X / TSr3 19* Ventus Black 10-TX
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

I almost literally cannot wait for this club. I was swinging poorly when I was fit for my current gamer and now I'm hitting my 5 wood farther and straighter than my driver.

Should I experiment with a no driver bag for a golf season while I wait for this or get the 917 and skip this upcoming generation?

Seems to be working just fine for Henric Stenson. If you're crushing your 3 wood, I don't see a major issue until you're playing 7000 yard courses.

Some talk here about these potentially popping up at The Players this week for tour seeding - anxiously awaiting the Tour Photos today to see if this is accurate. I'm hearing a month or so before we see them on tour and still planning November launch. However, there is a chance they may decide to push forward that release date.

Gotta believe this thing is going to be good. The Multi Material craze hadn't really taken off when Titleist was in the final stages of R&D/ production with the 917 line. Titleist is known for not rushing to market something they haven't extensively tested... By now, they should have had plenty of time to develop and perfect a Multi Material driver for market.

I've got such a strong conviction this will be good that I'm not even looking at any of the new drivers until the 919 is released. Hope i'm right...

I think Titleist should come out with 3 models. d2, d3 and a third that is 100% focused on a low spin, pure distance, more forgiveness, longer shaft (basically a direct Taylormade/Callaway competitor). Seeing which of the 3 are most successful could help Steer Titleist where they should go with the following model.

I think Titleist should come out with 3 models. d2, d3 and a third that is 100% focused on a low spin, pure distance, more forgiveness, longer shaft (basically a direct Taylormade/Callaway competitor). Seeing which of the 3 are most successful could help Steer Titleist where they should go with the following model.

Driver tech has advanced enough now that one model can accomplish distance (low spin + high ball speed) and forgiveness (MOI) - G400 max and M2/M4 are prime examples. Really no need for multiple models any longer.

O... and that 3rd model was called 915 D4