Ping I210 irons & Glide forged wedge

GolfWRX

• Replies 844
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cant see any weight adjustability on the Glide forged wedge. That's probably a deal breaker for me as even the stainless Glide lob wedge with stick on weight that Ping produced for me at +0.75" came out at E1...…..it's currently back with them to consider making it less like swinging a sledgehammer

My Glide 2.0 Stealth wedges at +.5†came in at D5 & D6 which is perfect. Surprised to hear E1 at +.75. My biggest issue with ping has been getting the SW up in the woods.

Well I'm now on the verge of ditching Ping period after 30 years of loyal custom. I actually sent 11 irons back to them as nothing had been built within 4 sw of what they told me was deliverable at the point of order. Because it took me a while to get the swingweights checked (no need right? - Ping know what they're doing....) they "agreed" to do the set for $75 equivalent as a gesture of goodwill. Now two weeks later they come back and every one is still way off and the guy in customer services virtually accused me of lying when I told him they had come back bad.

As a cross check I measured a load of Ping clubs in my local retailer which all came out similar to the quoted spec on the same machine. Same with non-Ping clubs too, but they still don't get that either my clubs are 4+ sw heavier than the agreed target, or every club I checked in the retail store (including theirs) is 4+ sw lighter than the spec each OEM gives out.

I should add this is Ping in the UK. When I have bought clubs and had dealings with Ping when I was in US they were first class in all respects.

Really sorry to hear that. I love Ping irons and miss my S55’s. Next spring I will compare whatever Ping has against hopefully an FG Tour V8 as the V4 and V6 both served me very well. I did not care for i200 or iBlade though.

Callaway Mavrik 9* - Rogue 125 70TX
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15* - Riptide 70 6.5
Cobra King 3 Utility - Kuro Kage 100X

Wilson FG Tour V6 - X100
Glide 3.0 46, 51, 56, 60 - X100
Scotty Cameron Newport 3

I cant see any weight adjustability on the Glide forged wedge. That's probably a deal breaker for me as even the stainless Glide lob wedge with stick on weight that Ping produced for me at +0.75" came out at E1...…..it's currently back with them to consider making it less like swinging a sledgehammer

My Glide 2.0 Stealth wedges at +.5†came in at D5 & D6 which is perfect. Surprised to hear E1 at +.75. My biggest issue with ping has been getting the SW up in the woods.

Well I'm now on the verge of ditching Ping period after 30 years of loyal custom. I actually sent 11 irons back to them as nothing had been built within 4 sw of what they told me was deliverable at the point of order. Because it took me a while to get the swingweights checked (no need right? - Ping know what they're doing....) they "agreed" to do the set for $75 equivalent as a gesture of goodwill. Now two weeks later they come back and every one is still way off and the guy in customer services virtually accused me of lying when I told him they had come back bad.

As a cross check I measured a load of Ping clubs in my local retailer which all came out similar to the quoted spec on the same machine. Same with non-Ping clubs too, but they still don't get that either my clubs are 4+ sw heavier than the agreed target, or every club I checked in the retail store (including theirs) is 4+ sw lighter than the spec each OEM gives out.

I should add this is Ping in the UK. When I have bought clubs and had dealings with Ping when I was in US they were first class in all respects.

Really sorry to hear that. I love Ping irons and miss my S55’s. Next spring I will compare whatever Ping has against hopefully an FG Tour V8 as the V4 and V6 both served me very well. I did not care for i200 or iBlade though.

My i200 build came in perfect. I’ve never ordered anything from Ping that was not spot on. I would trust them over some store machine, especially if the store’s machine is not digital.

I have had loft and lie adjusted at stores on a standard bending machine that turned out way off, especially if it is a manually set machine in which the person doing the adjustment is eye-balling it. I had a guy tell me my putter had “negative loft, minus three degrees.” In facf, the putter had 1 degree of positive loft, which is my spec. He was working on customer putters everyday and did not know what he was doing or how to set or read the machine. But he spoke with a lot of authority.

Suffice to say I trust Ping.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Really sorry to hear that. I love Ping irons and miss my S55â€s. Next spring I will compare whatever Ping has against hopefully an FG Tour V8 as the V4 and V6 both served me very well. I did not care for i200 or iBlade though.

My i200 build came in perfect. I've never ordered anything from Ping that was not spot on. I would trust them over some store machine, especially if the store's machine is not digital.

I have had loft and lie adjusted at stores on a standard bending machine that turned out way off, especially if it is a manually set machine in which the person doing the adjustment is eye-balling it. I had a guy tell me my putter had "negative loft, minus three degrees." In facf, the putter had 1 degree of positive loft, which is my spec. He was working on customer putters everyday and did not know what he was doing or how to set or read the machine. But he spoke with a lot of authority.

Suffice to say I trust Ping.

In this instance I have checked them and Ping is wrong.

The thing about a manual balance is that as long as you do things the same way every time, any error will be constant which in testing terms is really important. With someone who has the patience to do things right and on a perfectly flat surface, those balance machines are pretty accurate too, it just takes a little time which is where digital machines shine.

So first up if you put a set of clubs on there before they go back to ping, they accept they weren't to spec and are the same when they come back, you know nothing's changed and they are still bad.....

You also know that if you take a selection of new Ping stock clubs off the rack and check them under the exact same conditions and they are all within 0.5 sw of the standard spec, there is something very wrong if your own clubs are 4-6 sw off where they should be as that test compensates for any variation between how Ping measure and your set up.

Furthermore if you then randomly take a selection of new clubs from other OEMs off the shelf and measure against the factory stated specs and they are all within say 1 sw on the manual machine there is a clear outlier

Heck I would have been with you in trusting Ping before. It's blind faith on this one though, they got it wrong, or the retailer has an entire shop of bad builds from Ping and every OEM!

Let's keep this thread on topic. If you want to discuss an order Ping got wrong, please move it to another thread.

Thanks.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

Bubba may have missed the cut with one of these in the US Open, but he won with it this week i am guessing?

Ping G410 LST Fujikura Atmos Black 6X 
Ping TiSi Tec 3 Wood Ping Tour Stiff
Ping i25 19* hybrid Aldila Tour Blue S
Ping 410 Crossover 4 iron
Ping Blueprint Modus 120 S Powerspec 
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 48/52/56/60
Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

Are the i210's the same finish as the i200? I'm wondering if they'll wear the same.

Let's hope not, that finish is awful. Just go back to the old PING finish

Ping G430 10* Tensei orange

Callaway Paradym 16.5 Hzrdus

Ping G430 19*&22* Evnflow black

Srixon ZX5 MKii 5-GW DG

Vokey SM9 54*&58*

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Vice Pro

Are the i210's the same finish as the i200? I'm wondering if they'll wear the same.

Let's hope not, that finish is awful. Just go back to the old PING finish

I had a set of S55s last year, loved the finish on those.

TSr2 10 Tensei Blue 65

TSr2 15 Tensei Blue 75

TSr2 21 Tensei Blue 75

Black T100.S 4-P LZ 6.0

Black SM9 48.10.F, 54.10.S, 62.08.M

Jet Set Newport 2 

Little info on the i210 irons.

• The new PING i210 irons are the newest evolution in a line of players irons with clean, compact looks and maximum playability.
  • The elastomer insert is now 30% larger and 50% softer, providing more face contact for a softer, muted feel at impact while transferring more energy to the golf ball.
  • Refined leading edges and sole profiles offer incredible interaction through the turf for more precise distance and workability with more shot-making consistency.
  • A progressive structural design creates hotter, more forgiving long irons with precise feel and control in the mid and short irons.
  • Precision machining on the face and grooves make the club face perfectly flat for precise distance.
  • PING's Hydropearl 2.0 chrome finish repels water for more consistency shots from rough and wet grass while resisting scratches and wear.
  • Grooves in the pitching wedge and utility wedge are closer together for added friction to improve spin and distance control.
  • PING i210 irons are ideal for competition-focused golfers with a clean appearance and focus on precision, control, and workability.

Features

• Larger, softer activated elastomer insert
  • Refined leading edge and sole profile
  • Progressive structural design and offset from long to mid and short irons
  • CNC-machined face and grooves
  • Hydropearl 2.0 chrome finish

5-f.jpg

Larger, Softer Elastomer Insert

The elastomer insert in the i210 irons is 30% bigger in volume and 50% softer. That material activates at impact, ensuring a soft feel and greater energy transfer to the golf ball.

4-f.jpg

Refined Leading Edges and Sole Profiles

The leading edges and soles of each club are refined to provide incredible performance through the turf. This provides golfers with precision distance with workability and consistency to make the right shot, every time.

2-f.jpg

Progressive Structure

Progressive structural designs and offsets fine-tune the performance of every club as you move through the set. The result is hotter, more forgiving long irons with precision feel and control the mid and short irons.

3-f.jpg

CC-Machined Face and Grooves

Precision machining makes the club face perfectly flat for more precision and distance control. The grooves on the pitching wedge and utility wedge are also closer to together, improving spin and distance control by allowing more grooves to contact the ball.

6-f.jpg

Hydropearl Finish

PING's Hydropearl 2.0 chrome finish repels water for more consistency on shots from rough and wet grass. This finish also resists scratches and wear.

G425 LST 9
G425 LST 14.5
TS3 18*
S55 or i210
Glide 3.0 54* 58*
Ping PLD Anser D

Still confused... these are "player" irons as the i500 are "player" irons as well. Doesn't make sense, why release 2 irons in the same category at the same time?

It's really quite simple. Ping has released two I series "players" irons - one traditional cavity back and one hollow bodied to compete with the P-790. If you really find this confusing just go to the Callaway site and look at their iron line up. There is plenty of overlap over there to keep you guessing. :dntknw:

I'm all for choice but IMO Callaway has taken this to the next level.

What's in my Ping Pioneer Bag

Ping G400 Max 10.5˚, Alta CB 55 S-Flex

Ping G400 5w, 7w, Alta CB 65 R-Flex
Ping G400 5h, 6h, Alta CB 70 R-Flex

Callaway Apex CF16 7-PW, UST Recoil 660 F3 R-Flex

Titleist Vokey Tour Chrome SM8 50.12F, 54.12D, 58.10S, Mitsubishi Tensei Pro AM2 Red R-Flex

TaylorMade Hi-Toe 64˚ Wedge, Recoil ES 760 F3

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1 34”/74˚ Black with Custom 1+28 Sightlines, B.G.T. Stability Tour Black shaft w/ LAB Press OG 3.0 Grip

Srixon Z-Star XV Yellow | Srixon Q-Star Tour Divide Orange/Yellow, Seamus Headcovers

Callaway Chrome Soft #1 Lost Ball on Tour - Mark Crossfield

Still confused... these are "player" irons as the i500 are "player" irons as well. Doesn't make sense, why release 2 irons in the same category at the same time?

It's really quite simple. Ping has released two I series "players" irons - one traditional cavity back and one hollow bodied to compete with the P-790. If you really find this confusing just go to the Callaway site and look at their iron line up. There is plenty of overlap over there to keep you guessing. :dntknw:

IMO The i500 is more in line with the Titleist T-MB (minimal offset, short blade length and thin topline) granted I have not seen the i500 in person. I have had T-MB and extensively demoed P790.

Titleist TSR2+ 12.75*
Ping G425 19.5*

Titleist TS2 4h 22*
Ping i210 5-PW
Vokey SM8 52*/58*
Ping Prime Tyne
Titleist Pro V1

IMO The i500 is more in line with the Titleist T-MB (minimal offset, short blade length and thin topline) granted I have not seen the i500 in person. I have had T-MB and extensively demoed P790.

I500 slightly smaller/thinner than either in your opinion?

Nice looking clubs but something I don't understand...

Ping doesn't offer a Forged iron correct? Even their iBlade is cast but maybe I'm wrong. Even though so many blade and iron purists love the feel of premium forging.

However, they release Forged wedges that many manufacturers don't even bother with because it doesn't make much difference.

Just seems odd to me...

cmatthews77, Please let me just encourage you not be so fascinated by the word "forged" being thrown around in any golf club manufacturer's description of the irons they make. It's semantics. Forged irons here in '18 for the most part have have little no basis in what I highlighted in bold up above, being a one piece, mild carbon steel blade iron. E.G. your Callaway CF16 has the description of being Forged, but there couldn't be a more multi-piece construction iron on the market today.

PING casts all their current "players" irons. PING uses metals of 17-4, 431, and 8620 in their production (all very hard to hard metals). PING also makes only cavity back irons in their "players" segment, most of which have Tungsten embedded in the toe, and elastomer behind the face. I would imagine these new PING Forged wedges being made of 8620 metal, just like what's now being used in their PING Glide 2.0 Stealth brethren BTW, and both will wear no faster than a Titleist Vokey wedge which uses the same metal.

So many blade iron purists love the feel of a premium forging based off the head style and the use of the softest mild carbon steel available. Shown below would be an actual example here in '18 of a mild carbon steel forged blade iron....

322612-1-600x400.jpg

That’s exactly my point... and proven in the new thread on the i500. They aren’t really coming out with a one-piece forging. That’s what I was getting at and curios what Ping would do.

And yes I agree- I don’t consider the CF16 a true forged iron.

Callaway Epic Speed 9° Driver
Callaway Epic Speed 4W - Smoke IM10

Callaway Apex UW (21°)

Mizuno Pro 225 (4i); 223 (5-9i); 221 (PW)
Jaws MD 5 50°, Full Toe 54°, 58° PM Grind
Toulon Odyssey Chicago

The more I look at the i210 the more I like it. I hate chunky wedges so I really want to see them in person, but 3-9 with glide 46 might make a great set.

Callaway Mavrik 9* - Rogue 125 70TX
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15* - Riptide 70 6.5
Cobra King 3 Utility - Kuro Kage 100X

Wilson FG Tour V6 - X100
Glide 3.0 46, 51, 56, 60 - X100
Scotty Cameron Newport 3

I500 slightly smaller/thinner than either in your opinion?

I am anticipating it being both smaller and thinner than P790 and progressively smaller from 3i-W in terms of blade length.

Titleist TSR2+ 12.75*
Ping G425 19.5*

Titleist TS2 4h 22*
Ping i210 5-PW
Vokey SM8 52*/58*
Ping Prime Tyne
Titleist Pro V1

I am also considering the i210 as a replacement for the G25. Has anyone made this switch - from G25 to i200?

A while back I switched from G25's to i20's and didn't find it to be much of a leap. The i200's I'm sure would be even a little easier.

PING G410 LST 10.5* --- Project X Evenflow Blue 55-S

PING G410 17.5* & 20.5* FW --- Aldila Tour Blue 65-S

Titleist 818H1 23* Hybrid --- Project X Evenflow Riptide 80-6.0

PING i210 5-UW --- Nippon Modus 105-S

PING Glide 3.0 Eye2 54* & 58* --- Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

L.A.B. DF3 --- Accra x L.A.B.

I am also considering the i210 as a replacement for the G25. Has anyone made this switch - from G25 to i200?

A while back I switched from G25's to i20's and didn't find it to be much of a leap. The i200's I'm sure would be even a little easier.

I thought I read that they said the moi/forgiveness of the i200 was about the same as the g25.

It will be interesting when people can actually hit the i210 and i500 and see what people think.

Will ping actually say which is more forgiving and how they compare?

Ping G410 lst diamana bf
Ping g410lst 3 wood accra tz6
Epic flash 5 wood tensei blue
ping g410 tensei hybrid
Epon 705 5-gw Oban ct115
Callaway MD5 54/58
taylormade my spider 
ping hoofer
tp5x