2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Name 3 traits that make a player someone you enjoy having in your group...and 3 traits that make you

1) Takes the game serious enough that they focus on what they and their playing partners are doing, but not so serious that they don't have fun.

2) Pleasant personality

3) Knows when to pick up when they blow up on a hole.

1) Sour 'above it all' attitude that brings the group down. Basically, they're better than you, and make sure you're aware of that fact.

2) Plays slow/ talks on the phone too much

3) Constantly gives unsolicited tips during the round

Interesting and know from responses who I do & don't want to play with (and vice versa) :taunt: .

1. Plays easily in around 3:15 (foursome at my club).

2. Enjoys good banter & conversation

3. Doesn't take to game overly seriously & no issues if music is played at respectful level

1. Thinks & plays as if final group Sunday @ The Masters (Grinds it out & slow)

2. Self involved & not communicative

3. Golf is an allegory of life and 100% Rules guy...

Yeah

- Knows how to read the room.

- Knows how to get around the course (good pace, where to stand, what to do on and through the green, etc...).

- Is generally amicable.

Nay

- Tells tales out of school on Twitter.

- Is slow. Not, not as quick as I perceive myself to be, but properly stuck-in-mud slow.

- Plays music and insists on their way being the 'fun' way to play golf

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Good :

1. Golfers that can play quick, but who also won't spend the entire day complaining about pace of play when the course is stacked.

2. Golfers who enjoy competing hard, but won't sulk when they get beat.

3. Golfers who can "go with the flow:!

Bad:

1. Golfers who cancel last minute or can't ever get to the tee box on time (This is my number one personal pet peeve).

2. Golfers who always seem to disappear on the days they lose when it's time to settle bets at the end of the round.

3. Golfers who think they are God's Gift to cart girls/women.

Titleist TSR3 (10) - Project X HZRDUS 4G 6.0
Titleist 917 F2 16.5 at C1 (15.75) - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 5.5
Titleist TSR2 21 at C3 (22) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  70 6.0
Titleist T150 5i-GW - Nippon 950 GH R - I up
Ping Glide 2.0  52 SS - AWT 2.0 S - Back Dot
Ping Glide 3.0  58 ES - ZZ-115 - Black Dot

Callaway MD5 64 S Grind - TT-115 
Ping Fetch 2023 - 34"

I have one that goes on both sides:

Pros - not an ***hole

Cons - an ***hole

I’m a very social person. I can talk to anyone, but understand when not to. I love meeting new people and because of my line of work have gotten very good at reading people. I find people’s back story interesting, but am completely fine with the typical pleasantries and occasional chat with the rest in silence if that is what they prefer. I’m good with someone taking the game very seriously (I used to when I played competitive golf), and I’m good with someone who doesn’t know or care about the rules. As long as neither of them are an ***hole about it, I’m good. I’m not a fan of slow play, but I plan my days accordingly so if a long day on the golf course is the worst thing I’ve got going on in my life, my life doesn’t suck. Drinking doesn’t bother me, just don’t turn into a drunken ***hole. I just enjoy playing golf. If a person I’m with also enjoys golf and isn’t an ***hole, it will be a good day.

Good

1. Genuinely wants everyone in the group to play the best golf they can so everybody enjoys the round.

2. Keeps a keen eye on exactly where someone in the groups ball is going when it’s headed for trouble.

3. Is totally aware of pace of play and is capable of never losing ground in groups in front except in the case of ball searches.

Bad

1) opposite of #1 good and therefore negates #2 good in the same vein.

2) poor etiquette- particularly talking or moving when partners are playing. Needs to hold conversations louder than is needed for the person they’re talking to, to hear them. I personally don’t get distracted by idiots anymore but I know plenty who have their rounds ruined by idiots lacking in consideration for those they share the course with.

3. Slow play - you don’t need 7 practice swings and you don’t need to look at every angle for every putt outside of the club championships. Ambling down the fairway annoying those behind, marking cards on greens and leaving trolleys not at the exit to the next hole slows the course down and ruins others enjoyment. People who do these things aren’t welcome in our groups. Some of them get it and change their behaviour to fit in. Some aren’t quite intelligent to get it.

Good

1. Genuinely wants everyone in the group to play the best golf they can so everybody enjoys the round.

2. Keeps a keen eye on exactly where someone in the groups ball is going when it’s headed for trouble.

3. Is totally aware of pace of play and is capable of never losing ground in groups in front except in the case of ball searches.

Bad

1) opposite of #1 good and therefore negates #2 good in the same vein.

2) poor etiquette- particularly talking or moving when partners are playing. Needs to hold conversations louder than is needed for the person they’re talking to, to hear them. I personally don’t get distracted by idiots anymore but I know plenty who have their rounds ruined by idiots lacking in consideration for those they share the course with.

3. Slow play - you don’t need 7 practice swings and you don’t need to look at every angle for every putt outside of the club championships. Ambling down the fairway annoying those behind, marking cards on greens and leaving trolleys not at the exit to the next hole slows the course down and ruins others enjoyment. People who do these things aren’t welcome in our groups. Some of them get it and change their behaviour to fit in. Some aren’t quite intelligent to get it.

I really try to do #2, but my vision is so poor. I’m always happy when I am able to pick on up so I can help someone else when they didn’t see it (usually a bounce off a tree) I often time feel badly because I have to rely on my playing partners for help on my ball. I watch where it starts and hope I can pick up some motion when it lands.

1) Takes the game serious enough that they focus on what they and their playing partners are doing, but not so serious that they don't have fun.

2) Pleasant personality

3) Knows when to pick up when they blow up on a hole.

1) Sour 'above it all' attitude that brings the group down. Basically, they're better than you, and make sure you're aware of that fact.

2) Plays slow/ talks on the phone too much

3) Constantly gives unsolicited tips during the round

ANY talk on the phone is too much.

1. Is there to play golf.

2. Genuinely cares to play their best. And tries no matter how bad the last hole was.

3. Plays be the rules if we’re competing.

1. Going back to the cart after they’ve hit their shot from the tee OR holed out before the group has played.

2. Due to #1, having no clue where the wayward shot ended up. More eyes looking the quicker we can get going again!

3. Having no clue about the basics of etiquette... where to stand, order of play etc. if you just made triple or are in your pocket, don’t scamper up to the tee first.

4. Carrying a phone to every shot to watch whatever is more interesting than actually enjoying the day out on the course

1. Acerbic without being mean.

2. Serious golfer without taking their game seriously

3. Pays bets at end of round

Bad?

1. Slow and intense. No thank you, we paid to play, we aren’t that good.

2. Anyone who tells me what they shot yesterday when they are not playing well.

3. Those players who play as singles even though they are part of a group. This includes, constant phone talk, driving past everyone else in the cart to find their ball then sitting in front of everyone waiting, etc.

I like playing with...

1. the successful guy who has nothing to prove. He knows he's made it. You know he's made it. Let's just play golf.

2. the single digit capper with a personality like Sheriff Andy Taylor.

3. competitive well-mannered golfers who don't like losing. That's when you know you've accomplished something when you beat them.

I avoid...

1. the guy who thinks that you're his caddie. "Was I lined up that way?" "Do you mind raking the bunker for me?" "I left my 7 iron in the cart. Can you get it?"

2. the guy with the million dollar get-up (including the car in the parking lot) and 1 cent swing.

3. the guy who shoots a "quick" 120 in just under 6 hours.

Good,

Ettiquette

Pace of Play

At least Tries to play well

Doesnt complain too much if he doesnt play well

Bad,

Flaming Idiots with poor to no ettiquete

Flaming Idiots in general

Idiots playing music

Idiots that think a round of golf really is like caddie shack movie

The Idiot that hollars at the top of his lungs if he makes or misses a putt (or any other shot)

Good: awareness( including pace of play),

respect( course and partners),

great attitude fun

Bad: hits bad shot, won’t follow where it went,

Bitching / cursing ( you’re not good enuff to be mad at a hosel rocket)

Anything excessively slow

Callaway Paradyn 9°
Ping G 3 W
Ping G 5W
Ping g400 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX 923 hot metal HL 5-GW
Vokey 50-08 sm8
Vokey 56-08 sm9
Spider Tour 34”

Good:

1. Plays ready golf

2. Maintains good etiquette regarding where to drive the golf carts (this is a huge pet peeve of mine)

3. Someone who helps locate playing partners golf balls (pace of play)

Bad:

1. The guy who thinks he is a teaching pro and knows whats wrong with his and everyone else's swing.

2. The blackout drunk

3. Someone who doesn't fix divot marks.

Good:

1.Gotta have a sense of humor.

2.Ready golf.

3.Just has a general good attitude.

Bad:

1.The guy that starts losing multiple balls on the first few holes and spends 30 minutes looking for it. Drop one and hit it and move on.

2.This seems to be a popular one but that guy that plays golf maybe twice a year, yet thinks he knows ALL the fundamentals to help your swing. No thanks bud.

3.Finally this goes back to my other number 3. This one gets to me more than anything because I can actually feel it effect my game. When someone in your group is having a bad round and continues to pout and have a pitty party the entire round. Just seems to bring down the morale of the entire group.

• 3 weeks later...

Three player i like playing with keep up with pace of play regardless of skill level, they aren’t debbie downers and they are competitive.

Golfers i hate playing with show up to the golf course play once a year and expect to be good, they can’t control their alcohol and their attitude about golf and life in general just sucks out my energy.

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

Pros

1. Fast players - ready golf and doesn’t look for the lost ball more than a minute.

2. Enjoys a beer or two

3. No music

Cons-

1. Slow Pace of play - don’t take four practice swings back off and take another. Just hit the damn ball

2. Stepping in my putting line

3. Tells me their lifetime story. I don’t give one damn about your ex wife

What I like:

1. Be friendly with a sense of humor.

2. Ready to play when it's your turn.

See? I'm easy to please. However, don't be this guy/gal:

1. You're a 15, never seen the course, but insist on playing from the tips despite the 73.5/139 rating

2. You must take 20 mins to find that ProV1 you hit OB because "these balls are like 4$ a piece!"

4. You tell me you normally drive it 285, but yet on the 16th after you have yet to clear 210, you tell me it's just been "one of those days."

5. You decide that mid day on Saturday is the time to give that gf/wife who really has no interest, a golf lesson.

6. You drink to the point that by the back 9 you're trying to hug me and tell me about your wife leaving you.

Yes, every example has been a real experience.

Has a good/general knowledge of golf etiquette

Is ready to play when it is his/her turn

Knows when to say something and when to say nothing

Never on time and never ready to play when it is their turn to hit

Hits multiple "do overs" during round and then wants to claim a great score

Holds conversation(s) when others are hitting their shot(s)

BTW...I see lots of folks have problems with music on course. It does not bother me as long as it is constant and not suddenly comes on when I am pulling the trigger. I would say that probably 60% or more of the people I play with often (non tournament play) have music on during the entire round. At the club where I live, the new golf carts have XM radios built into the same unit that serves as GPS.

1. fun attitude

2. play ready golf

3. patience for non-experts (like myself) who nevertheless move quickly and have fun

Bad:

1. Pissy and/or snobby attitude

2. SLOW PLAY

3. Plays Music and/or is constantly on phone for whatever reason

4. loud Drunk and/or incessant inconsiderate Smoker

5. attempted political discussions

6. offers advice or "observations" and/or tries to play head games to compete (irony is >> I'm not even competing with them, even if they think they're competing with me)