2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Titleist TS2 & TS3 Forgiveness

raytonyk

Hi everyone,

Looking for some feedback on the new Titleist TS2 and TS3 drivers. To anyone that has hit both drivers a good amount, do you notice a significant difference in forgiveness from the TS2 to the TS3? I'm reading that the TS2 is more forgiving, but looking to get a rough sense on how the TS3 performs as well. I like the fact the TS3 has the adjustable draw/fade weight. Thanks all!

The difference is negligible and not enough to pin one as superior than the other as the more forgiving one. There was virtually no difference in distance when i hit them. Any difference more than 5 yards between them are usually due to strike and/or swingspeed as with any other modern driver.

Just pick teh shape you like better.

TS3 9.5 / TSi2 15 / Z785 / SM7

I agree with @bunta . My decision to get the TS2 came down to the head shape giving me more confidence down by the ball. Ball flight etc didn’t really have much difference between the two. Both are the darlings of the late 2018/2019 driver class

PING G430 LST 10.5° | DIAMANA GT 60X

COBRA DARKSPEED X 3HF 16.5° | HZRDUS BLACK 70X

PING G425 7W 20.5° | DIAMANA GT 70X

SRIXON ZX5 5-6 | MMT TAPER 105TX

SRIXON ZX7 7-PW | MMT TAPER 105TX

PING GLIDE 4.0 50°/54°/58° | MMT WEDGE 125TX

ODYSSEY TRI-HOT 5K SEVEN DB

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

The TS3 launches slightly lower than the TS2 with slightly higher spin.

My Weapons of Grass Destruction:

Titleist TS2 10.5*

Titleist 917F2 15*

Titleist 818H1 19*

Titleist 716 AP2 4-P

Vokey SM7’s: 50.12F, 56.14F, 60.08M

Odyssey Black Series 3

Round things with a bunch of dimples and scrapes

The difference is pretty minor to my mind. I had been using the 917D2 so picked up the TS2 in the first instance and got some numbers from that. They were fine but I just loved the look of the TS3 and the big thing that I found was that the TS3 seemed to be just as, if not more forgiving that than 917D2 which I found to be a very forgiving driver. From that point on my mind was made up to go with the TS3.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

I have the TS3 and find it to be more forgiving than my previous 917 D3. I haven't compared it to the TS2, but the TS3 is forgiving for me. I play it at 45 inches and add head weight so that helps with consistency.

Titleist TSR3 08.00 – Ventus Red 065x

Titleist TSR2 14.50 – Tour AD DI 075x

Titleist TSR2 18.00 – Tour AD DI 085x

Titleist TSR2 21.00 – Tour AD DI 095x

Titleist TSR2 24.00 – Tour AD DI 105x

Titleist T100 6i 7i 8i 9i – Tour X100

Titleist SM09 46 50 54 60 – Tour S400

Titleist Pro V1 56 – White Hot OG5 CS

Been hitting and fitting for drivers for couple months and TS2/TS3 are more forgiving than other driver especially front to back. TS2 is slightly more forgiving and TS3 launch slightly lower. You want TS3 if you like shape your driver more and the adjustable weight can help you to reduce miss left or right. I was fit to TS3 the first driver fitting and TS2 the second fitting, ended up choosing the TS2.

Callaway Paradym TD 9, Autoflex 505.

Callaway Paradym TD 15, Autoflex 505X.

TSR2 7 wood, Ventus TR 6S.
Paradym X 5 hybrid, Ventus 7S.

Paradym X 6 hybrid, Ventus 7S.

Paradym AI Smoke HL 8 hybrid, Ventus 8S.
PXG Gen4 0311ST, 8 to GW. Steelfiber Private Reserve 95R.
Artisan 54, 58. KBS TGI 90.

Callaway PM grind 64, KBS Hi-rev.
Odyssey 2 Balls Armlock.  Vessel Player 3 Stand Bag.

During my fitting session with Titleist, I could between the TS2 or TS3. Numbers were good with both but in the end I also chose the TS2. The launch was slightly higher and I felt more comfortable with regards to control of the club head. The courses I play and especially my home course requires more or less straight drives because of narrow fairways and trees on both sides. Therefor I ended up with the TS2 9.5 Hzardus Smoke stiff as this driver was very easy to hit straight with. I am also able to hit draws and fades with the TS2 so you should not be worried if you want to shape the ball flight. It was VERY difficult to decide between the TS2 and TS3 and I even ended up changing the order 2 times! :D But in the end I decided for the TS2 and its slight forgiveness that i experienced over the TS3. I recommend, if possible, to demo both on the course and do a proper fitting to find the correct loft and shaft.

Titleist TSi3 10 GD IZ-6S
Titleist TSi2 FW 16.5 Ventus Red 7S
Titleist 913fd 18 Diamana Ltd Red 60S
Titleist 720 T-200 4 PX LZ 5.5
Titleist 720 T-100 5-PW PX LZ 5.5
Titleist Vokey SM7 F50.08 PX LZ 5.5
Titleist Vokey SM7 S54.10 PX LZ 6.0
Titleist Vokey SM7 M58.12 PX LZ 6.0
Titleist 2021 SC Phantom X5.5 /34"

I can't comment specifically on TS2 vs TS3, because I was fit into a TS3 8.5* head and needed the low spin so I didn't even hit the TS2. That being said, I came from a Ping G which I was playing specifically for forgiveness, and I found the TS3 to be just as forgiving. I feel comfortable hitting anywhere on the face with the TS3 and not losing any crazy directionality or distance. I wouldn't be concerned about forgiveness between the two, just get the launch and spin you need.

Side note: I liked the TS3 driver so much, I picked up a TS2 4-wood, and it has replaced my longstanding G25 4-wood, another club I was playing specifically for forgiveness. Identical specs, the TS2 4-wood is just so much more forgiving low on the face, and toe side (keeping it straight).

G400 LST 8.5* Ventus Blue 6x 🐐 
OG M2 16.5* Speeder 757s

OG Apex 18* KK 80s
223 4-G KBS Tour 120s
RTX ZC 56.12 / 60.09 ff DG Spinner

FTP SM1 0* loft / 400g / SS GT 1.0 

I will be hitting both of these next week at Miles of Golf. Cannot wait. Heard nothing but great reviews. Titleist in the past have been real slow for me with ball speeds, etc. but the new line has got them back in the speed conversation. Be a tall order to unseat my trusty LTD pro!

Aerojet 9.5*-  Ventus Blue TR 6x
Cobra F9 3w - Atmos TS Blue 7x
T300 4i (19*) - UST Recoil 95 F4
Srixon 565/765 Combo 5-PW - Project X 5.5hs
SM5 50,54,58,62 - F,K,S Grinds - Rifle 6.0
Odyssey OTR putter
2024 TP5

• 2 weeks later...

Went on whim and did a 2nd fitting on the TS2 driver I have. Found out the A2 setting I had the SureFit Hosel was not a good fit for me. Lately I have been fighting a little bit more of a pull but still getting distance. The fitter put me in the C4 setting which on a 9.5* head puts it at 10.25* of loft and .75* flatter lie angle (but 2.25* lie angle down from where I was). Amazing the strikes on the face changed for the better with the flatter lie angle. I am 6'3" and play my irons 1* upright typically so the original fitter on the TS2 assumed that as well....wrong.

I thought the driver was forgiving before but now with a proper updated fitting this thing feels like I can put any swing on it. Good luck to you fellas that have one and are planning on getting one. I cannot stop raving about this driver/shaft combo

PING G430 LST 10.5° | DIAMANA GT 60X

COBRA DARKSPEED X 3HF 16.5° | HZRDUS BLACK 70X

PING G425 7W 20.5° | DIAMANA GT 70X

SRIXON ZX5 5-6 | MMT TAPER 105TX

SRIXON ZX7 7-PW | MMT TAPER 105TX

PING GLIDE 4.0 50°/54°/58° | MMT WEDGE 125TX

ODYSSEY TRI-HOT 5K SEVEN DB

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

TS3 for me was better today. Best results were with tensei pro orange. Im not paying that much money though. M5 with UST V2 gave me identical results and 250 left in my wallet. Both sticks were about 15yds longer than ltd.

Aerojet 9.5*-  Ventus Blue TR 6x
Cobra F9 3w - Atmos TS Blue 7x
T300 4i (19*) - UST Recoil 95 F4
Srixon 565/765 Combo 5-PW - Project X 5.5hs
SM5 50,54,58,62 - F,K,S Grinds - Rifle 6.0
Odyssey OTR putter
2024 TP5

• 1 month later...

I’m looking at the TS3 driver to replace my current gamer, the G15 (which is about ten years old). I’m trying to get my spin rate down (G15 tends to be hit high) and maximize distance obviously.

My swing speed is approx 95mph, and currently maxes out at 100.

I’ve tried out the driver at three separate locations and had the following combinations suggested.

1) 10.5 degree head with even flow t1100 while shaft

2) 9.5 degree head with Tensei shaft

3) 9.5 degree head with Hzrdus smoke shaft

The rep who suggested the even flow shaft seemed the most knowledgeable and had me on a trackman. However, the others think my SS was a bit low for that shaft (which I agree with on paper).

Without seeing all my numbers, I’m just curious what your thoughts are on these combos given my swing speed. I know there are a lot of variables but I’m sure you guys will still be able to offer some guidance.

Thanks.

Based on the published numbers, the TS2 and TS3 are big steps up in terms of MOI (forgiveness). The TS2 is listed at just over 5,300 g/cm2, which places it in between the G400 and G400 MAX, making it the second most forgiving driver on the market, pretty substantial.

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J15 CB 4i-7i 23*- 34* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 38*- 46* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM9 50* Raw F-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot // Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

> @harpua728 said:

>

> I’m looking at the TS3 driver to replace my current gamer, the G15 (which is about ten years old). I’m trying to get my spin rate down (G15 tends to be hit high) and maximize distance obviously.

>

> My swing speed is approx 95mph, and currently maxes out at 100.

> I’ve tried out the driver at three separate locations and had the following combinations suggested.

>

> 1) 10.5 degree head with even flow t1100 while shaft

> 2) 9.5 degree head with Tensei shaft

> 3) 9.5 degree head with Hzrdus smoke shaft

>

> The rep who suggested the even flow shaft seemed the most knowledgeable and had me on a trackman. However, the others think my SS was a bit low for that shaft (which I agree with on paper).

>

> Without seeing all my numbers, I’m just curious what your thoughts are on these combos given my swing speed. I know there are a lot of variables but I’m sure you guys will still be able to offer some guidance.

>

> Thanks.

>

>

I would stay away from the non pro version tensei. The PX smoke and even flow are good, but I would check out aldila rogue silver 60 s.

> @handyquacks17 said:

> > @harpua728 said:

> >

> > I’m looking at the TS3 driver to replace my current gamer, the G15 (which is about ten years old). I’m trying to get my spin rate down (G15 tends to be hit high) and maximize distance obviously.

> >

> > My swing speed is approx 95mph, and currently maxes out at 100.

> > I’ve tried out the driver at three separate locations and had the following combinations suggested.

> >

> > 1) 10.5 degree head with even flow t1100 while shaft

> > 2) 9.5 degree head with Tensei shaft

> > 3) 9.5 degree head with Hzrdus smoke shaft

> >

> > The rep who suggested the even flow shaft seemed the most knowledgeable and had me on a trackman. However, the others think my SS was a bit low for that shaft (which I agree with on paper).

> >

> > Without seeing all my numbers, I’m just curious what your thoughts are on these combos given my swing speed. I know there are a lot of variables but I’m sure you guys will still be able to offer some guidance.

> >

> > Thanks.

> >

> >

>

> I would stay away from the non pro version tensei. The PX smoke and even flow are good, but I would check out aldila rogue silver 60 s.

Thanks! Any reason you’re against the tensei?

> @harpua728 said:

> > @handyquacks17 said:

> > > @harpua728 said:

> > >

> > > I’m looking at the TS3 driver to replace my current gamer, the G15 (which is about ten years old). I’m trying to get my spin rate down (G15 tends to be hit high) and maximize distance obviously.

> > >

> > > My swing speed is approx 95mph, and currently maxes out at 100.

> > > I’ve tried out the driver at three separate locations and had the following combinations suggested.

> > >

> > > 1) 10.5 degree head with even flow t1100 while shaft

> > > 2) 9.5 degree head with Tensei shaft

> > > 3) 9.5 degree head with Hzrdus smoke shaft

> > >

> > > The rep who suggested the even flow shaft seemed the most knowledgeable and had me on a trackman. However, the others think my SS was a bit low for that shaft (which I agree with on paper).

> > >

> > > Without seeing all my numbers, I’m just curious what your thoughts are on these combos given my swing speed. I know there are a lot of variables but I’m sure you guys will still be able to offer some guidance.

> > >

> > > Thanks.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > I would stay away from the non pro version tensei. The PX smoke and even flow are good, but I would check out aldila rogue silver 60 s.

>

> Thanks! Any reason you’re against the tensei?

Just didnt like the kick in the tensei and my dispersion is much better with the rogue silver. Its an older shaft but still solid and yields good accuracy

I have a TS3 driver but TS2 fairways. For me, honestly, it came down more to the look at address. Numbers were more or less the same for me so the selling point came down to the TS3 looking more square when setup and the fairways sitting a touch open; which I prefer.

My launch angles were pretty high and the Tensei Blue was giving me better numbers; so that's the one I went with.

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

Love my TS3. I tried every other manufacturer (including the TS2) and TS3 was the best for consistency of launch, spin, dispersion, and distance. Haven't regretted my purchase at all. The TS2 is also very nice but I wasn't a fan of the stretched back head. I just preferred the classic look of the TS3. Have gained distance and confidence since switching from my 913D2.

Callaway Paradym 12* (-1Std) Autoflex SF505X

Callaway Paradym Heavenwood

Ping G425M 20.5* Tensei Raw Org 75S

Ping G425 22* ADIZ85S

Ping G425 26* ADIZ85S

T100S 6-7 (1* weak) Aerotech FC115

T100 8-PW  Aerotech FC115

Titleist T100 50*  Aerotech FC115

Vokey SM8 54.12D/58.8M Aerotech FC115
SC Champ Choice Newport 2 Stability Shaft Tour

I hit both for me the Ts3 was the clear winner for me but its more geared towards a higher SS I believe. The TS2 for me was a hook monster but for someone with a lower SS they might find a more desirable flight.

Ping 425 Max Tour Shaft X 75g 

TSI 4 Wood (3 wood smoke shaft)

500U 3 Iron Smoke 80g
712U 4 Iron
714CB 5-6
718MB 7-PW 
Vokey SM9 50, 55, 60 
SC Newport 2.5

> @CCTxGolf said:

> I can go at my TS2 as fast as possible without having to worry to much about spraying one either direction. Best and easiest to hit, for me, since Callaway xr16. And I’ve tried most of them. The confidence in being able to really get after it is what gives me the extra distance.

When you find a driver like that, it is a real keeper.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

> @gvogel said:

> > @CCTxGolf said:

> > I can go at my TS2 as fast as possible without having to worry to much about spraying one either direction. Best and easiest to hit, for me, since Callaway xr16. And I’ve tried most of them. The confidence in being able to really get after it is what gives me the extra distance.

>

> When you find a driver like that, it is a real keeper.

A unicorn for sure! I thought I was doomed after trading the xr16 looking for more.

I was just fitted for a TS3 and could not be happier. I always knew I was a higher spin player before getting a proper fitting but I ended up learning just how much I was giving up with that much spin. After three hours over the span of 2 days, hitting every new head from all the major players with tons of shafts I was put in the TS3 with Hzrdus Smoke shaft. It was by far and away the winner on dispersion, spin, and carry. This was all trackman so I wasnt too concerned with total distance numbers, but they looked great on paper either way (around 22 yards average from my previous 2017 M1 with Even Flow White). The TS3 has a classic head shape, black with small alignment aid, and it launched lower than the TS2, while keeping spin at a great number. Forgiveness wise I lost minimal numbers on bad swings.

TSR3 9* w/ Ventus Black 6X

Sim TI Rocket 14* w/ Atmos Black TS 7x

Callaway UW 17* w/ Tensei Pro White 70tx

T100S (4-P) w/ Project X 6.5

Vokey SM9 w/ Project X 6.5 Wedge (50/54/58)

***Custom Goodwood G6***

I prefer the look of the ts3 as well. The ts2 just seems too elongated. However, I’m a 12 handicap with a 95-100 mph swing speed, and I’m worried that the ts3 may be more suited to better players with faster swings.

For what it’s worth, my angle of attack is approximately +3 to +5 degrees so the lower flight ts3 may still work for me.

There's still approx. 30% of the Titleist tour players choose TS2 instead of TS3, don't think swing speed is the main determine factor. To me, the difference of these 2 drivers is launch, spin, look and adjustability. TS3 launch lower, spin a little bit less and can adjust more. TS 2 is slightly more forgiven.

Callaway Paradym TD 9, Autoflex 505.

Callaway Paradym TD 15, Autoflex 505X.

TSR2 7 wood, Ventus TR 6S.
Paradym X 5 hybrid, Ventus 7S.

Paradym X 6 hybrid, Ventus 7S.

Paradym AI Smoke HL 8 hybrid, Ventus 8S.
PXG Gen4 0311ST, 8 to GW. Steelfiber Private Reserve 95R.
Artisan 54, 58. KBS TGI 90.

Callaway PM grind 64, KBS Hi-rev.
Odyssey 2 Balls Armlock.  Vessel Player 3 Stand Bag.

I only swing driver in the high 90s and find the TS3 plenty forgiving all over the face. For me I have to like what I am looking down at...

• Like 1

Driver (10):  Titleist TSR3 (Tour AD DI 6s)
3 Wood (16.5):  Titleist TSR2 (Tour AD DI 7s)
Hybrid (19):  Titleist TSi2 (Tour AD DI 85s)
Hybrid (22):  Titleist TSi2 (Tour AD DI 85s)
Irons (5-G):  Titleist T100S (TT Elevate Tour)
Wedges:  54/58:  Vokey SM9 (PX LZ 6.0 -- Onyx)
Putter:  Toulon Las Vegas 2022