What up with Jordan?

tsecor

8 hours ago, rafal said:

He was -11 midway thru Sat round.   Got +5 last 27 holes on the business end of the tournament.  That's not good enough and he knows it.

That's exactly what Liz and the team are working on.  Getting it done and doing it right the first time.

Liz brought in the team of Julie Cohen, career coach, to try her 7 keys of action and Mike Holmes.

image.png.f3af71da7a250b6d226865365627aa6c.pngimage.png.08b05bf71c479aa034bf4785f5876dfb.png

https://www.millenniallifecounseling.com/meet-our-team/liz-higgins

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, straightshot7 said:

But Bryson didn’t birdie the par 5’s on the back...he par’d them.

All Spieth had to do was shoot -2 for the day and he’s in a Playoff.

Instead he shot +3, which was the worst score among the leaders.

Why do mental gymnastics/make excuses for him?

he just didn’t play well. It wasn’t about not being close enough to win. 

In other words, all Jordan had to do just to get in a playoff was shoot the low round of the day 😉

Edited by North Texas
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, SwooshLT said:

NOBODY shot 70! as @bladehunter said , sure a few more putts could have fallen......Rory another supposed superstar, shot 66 on day one and 3 over for his next 54 holes.....you have strange expectations 

Yes.  70 would have gotten a playoff and 69 would have won it outright.  In retrospect that wasn't going to happen - for YJS or anybody else.  It was conditions that heavily favored the leaders.  YJS shot +3 yet only dropped one spot on the leaderboard down to T4, and +3 may still have been better than the field average, not sure but two back at the start of the day turned out to be a lot more than many figured.  He's playing very well overall.  Still expect him to win again at some point this season.

• Thanks 1

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

On 3/8/2021 at 9:12 AM, North Texas said:

In other words, all Jordan had to do just to get in a playoff was shoot the low round of the day 😉

No, all he had to do is what everyone says he always does. Make some putts. The final round he made a 7’7” putt and a 5’9” putt. Those were the two longest putts made all day on Sunday.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

The putts were rather weak today as well.  Nevertheless he had a good round and it shows that its not just the putter that keeps him on top.  One would think (based on the general WRX-brain posts) that he used to have 20 putts per round to achieve these results.

• Like 1

TM SIM Max 10.5* Atmos Blue 65S
TM M3 3W Matrix Ozik HD6 S

TM M4 Rescue 3
TM M3 Rescue 5

Srixon 565 5-P PX LZ 5.5
PING Glide 52*SS 58*WS 60*TS
Odyssey #9 O-Works

4 hours ago, Shilgy said:

No, all he had to do is what everyone says he always does. Make some putts. The final round he made a 7’7” putt and a 5’9” putt. Those were the two longest putts made all day on Sunday.

Sounds like we are in agreement that if he had made more putts, he would have shot the low round of the day 😉

• Like 2

On 3/8/2021 at 4:53 AM, SwooshLT said:

NOBODY shot 70! as @bladehunter said , sure a few more putts could have fallen......Rory another supposed superstar, shot 66 on day one and 3 over for his next 54 holes.....you have strange expectations 

No I just want to call a spade a spade. 75 on Sunday is bad. Period. 

Not "well it didn't matter that he shot 75 because he didn't have a chance to win anyways because it was over on hole 10 because Bryson's gonna birdie the par 5's" etc.

Nah 75 was a bad round. He did have a chance to win if he played really really well. That's all. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, straightshot7 said:

Not "well it didn't matter that he shot 75 because he didn't have a chance to win anyways because it was over on hole 10 because Bryson's gonna birdie the par 5's" etc.

Nah 75 was a bad round. He did have a chance to win if he played really really well. That's all. 

75 obviously isn’t cutting it to win, but to continue to deride his performance is odd. Maybe 75 was good considering it got him a T4? Is winning the only acceptable outcome? You do have strange expectations 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, straightshot7 said:

I don't want to get into semantics but the best score of the day was only 71! 

28 guys shot a better score than Jordan out the 72 who made the weekend.  Sure a few more putts could have fallen and this would be a different story but calling a +3 round of 75; which was under the scoring average,  a BAD round is pretty petty on your part. I know this thread is about YJS but Fleetwood,  Rors, Day, Hovland, Bradley, Ghim all had worse rounds......

But hey, you go ahead and keep the ridiculous expectations for one player that you seem to hate ......

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, straightshot7 said:

75 was a median round compared to the field. Not bad. Not good. Average. No real way to debate that.   The leaderboard says so.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

4 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

75 was a median round compared to the field. Not bad. Not good. Average. No real way to debate that.   The leaderboard says so.  

I have a feeling he will find a way 

8 minutes ago, SwooshLT said:

No , Jack, NO! 75 in those conditions was BAD! Gitouttahere

Only good enough for another top 5? Jordan should be ashamed of himself

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, SwooshLT said:

I don't want to get into semantics but the best score of the day was only 71! 

28 guys shot a better score than Jordan out the 72 who made the weekend.  Sure a few more putts could have fallen and this would be a different story but calling a +3 round of 75; which was under the scoring average,  a BAD round is pretty petty on your part. I know this thread is about YJS but Fleetwood,  Rors, Day, Hovland, Bradley, Ghim all had worse rounds......

But hey, you go ahead and keep the ridiculous expectations for one player that you seem to hate ......

No worries man, this is really silly lol.

I was responding to what I felt was excuse making. That was the context of my original post.

I didn't come in to say 75 was bad. I only started commentating because I felt it was sugar coating and excuse making to say he had no chance to win starting on hole 10 or 11.

If you've played competitive golf you know that your score is all that matters. If you're Jordan Spieth you would have much rather shot 70, 71, or 72. And since you're trying to win, you're disappointed that you didn't shoot 70. You aren't going to sleep saying, "it's okay. Bryson had me beat on hole 10". That's all I'm saying. 

I don't hate Jordan. Not fair to say that but okay. Take care.

Edited by straightshot7
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

What position was he in entering the final round? You call shooting the median round of the day “not bad” when you are in prime position o win-for the first time in almost four years? 
He has been playing better of late but he stumbled. I can only imagine what some would have said about that round were he not YJS. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bladehunter said:

If only the goal were to be average, and not to win a Tournament.

Context: If you're Jordan Spieth in contention, the median round on a Sunday is bad.

It was +3 and 5 strokes worse than what he needed to get in a playoff. I promise he wasn't happy with it. He went to bed thinking about the 5 shots he could have easily made up (in his mind).

Median round means you're comparing him against Norlander (shot 78), Knox (shot 79), Glover (shot 77), etc. ---was that the goal? To beat those guys?

No one is tuning into this thread with the expectation of being satisfied when Spieth is "average". The point is to be well above average and to win. I thought. 

Edited by straightshot7
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Shilgy said:

What position was he in entering the final round? You call shooting the median round of the day “not bad” when you are in prime position o win-for the first time in almost four years? 
He has been playing better of late but he stumbled. I can only imagine what some would have said about that round were he not YJS. 

Exactly. Imagine this was Tiger Woods in 2019 making his comeback and he shot a 75 in the final round. And people said hey well it was the median round! They'd be laughed out of the room. 

Edited by straightshot7
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, straightshot7 said:

If only the goal were to be average, and not to win a Tournament.

Context: If you're Jordan Spieth in contention, the median round on a Sunday is bad.

It was +3 and 5 strokes worse than what he needed to get in a playoff. I promise he wasn't happy with it. He went to bed thinking about the 5 shots he could have easily made up (in his mind).

Median round means you're comparing him against Norlander (shot 78), Knox (shot 79), Glover (shot 77), etc. ---was that the goal? To beat those guys?

No one is tuning into this thread with the expectation of being satisfied when Spieth is "average". The point is to be well above average and to win. I thought. 

@Shilgy too- The problem isn’t what you’re saying. I said “ wasn’t good wasn’t bad “. Wasn’t good literally means. Wasn’t good. Which agrees with what you’re saying in the finite view.  For that instance - he didn’t get it done. Neither did anyone else.  Save for the guy who won.  

what I’m talking about is the broader view. Incremental progress.  And he made more . This wasn’t a blowup round. It was simply a round in neutral.  Huge cavernous difference.  You guys are trying to say blowup in a veiled manner in my opinion.  Shooting an even round until late and then riding the bogey train a few holes isn’t a blowup with conditions that saw guys trying to break 80.  

Edited by bladehunter
  • Thanks 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Exactly. Imagine this was Tiger Woods in 2019 making his comeback and he shot a 75 in the final round. And people said hey well it was the median round! They'd be laughed out of the room. 

You’re focusing on the score.  And not comparing it to the scoring of that day.  Which is a paper tiger - and you know it. 

• Like 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

10 hours ago, ThinkingPlus said:

Jordan led the field (so far) in strokes gained: putting short game off the tee today.  Season to date he is 181st in that category.  Based on the holes I saw, his 70 was about the worst he could have shot today.

I bet he'd even be surprised at that one, hah. Great to see him trending so strongly in the right direction. Jordan in contention is always more fun. 

• Like 3

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J15 CB 4i-7i 23*- 34* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 38*- 46* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM9 50* Raw F-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot // Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

No worries man, this is really silly lol.

I was responding to what I felt was excuse making. That was the context of my original post.

I didn't come in to say 75 was bad. I only started commentating because I felt it was sugar coating and excuse making to say he had no chance to win starting on hole 10 or 11.

If you've played competitive golf you know that your score is all that matters. If you're Jordan Spieth you would have much rather shot 70, 71, or 72. And since you're trying to win, you're disappointed that you didn't shoot 70. You aren't going to sleep saying, "it's okay. Bryson had me beat on hole 10". That's all I'm saying. 

I don't hate Jordan. Not fair to say that but okay. Take care.

I did say SEEM ......and as @bladehunter stated , his 75 was relative.....it wasn’t good at all.....he missed the spot on 16 with no more than a wedge and 3 jacked....he is still out of sorts in the final rounds.....I just like the fact that we see his name on leaderboards after struggling with his ballstriking and confidence. 

Also we can't compare ANYONE to Tiger ; that's not fair to the player nor Tiger. Once in a lifetime player vs great player.

No YJS definitely needs to clear this hurdle of contention without winning and I'm hoping it's sooner than later. I think most in this thread can agree 

Also this shows that winning is VERY HARD out on this Tour when you have a collection of great players and not much separation due to equipment.....just my opinion. 

Edited by SwooshLT
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bladehunter said:

@Shilgy too- The problem isn’t what you’re saying. I said “ wasn’t good wasn’t bad “. Wasn’t good literally means. Wasn’t good. Which agrees with what you’re saying in the finite view.  For that instance - he didn’t get it done. Neither did anyone else.  Save for the guy who won.  

what I’m talking about is the broader view. Incremental progress.  And he made more . This wasn’t a blowup round. It was simply a round in neutral.  Huge cavernous difference.  You guys are trying to say blowup in a veiled manner in my opinion.  Shooting an even round until late and then riding the bogey train a few holes isn’t a blowup with conditions that saw guys trying to break 80.  

Fine, he had a round in neutral. Except...he did not play the first three rounds to the field average. He was playing well and near the lead. He flopped a bit in the final round....which has been a trend. This is not the story of a career 100th ranked player is it? This is the story of YJS.  You can try to convince yourselves all you want but I would be willing to bet that Spieth himself was not happy with that round. 
He does not want to be “slightly better than average”.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Shilgy said:

Fine, he had a round in neutral. Except...he did not play the first three rounds to the field average. He was playing well and near the lead. He flopped a bit in the final round....which has been a trend. This is not the story of a career 100th ranked player is it? This is the story of YJS.  You can try to convince yourselves all you want but I would be willing to bet that Spieth himself was not happy with that round. 
He does not want to be “slightly better than average”.

I don’t disagree with your take on his happiness with it.  I’m sure he was furious.  As any competitor would be. 

but high expectations don’t mean progress stopped.  One begats the other.  It’s complacency that stops progress. So we agree.  

And I think this is the second consecutive post I’ve agreed with you two on.  But I feel like you still want me to say “ he’s done , this fluke can’t possibly win again “. And my agreeing with a flat streak on Sunday , during a comeback of epic proportions, doesn’t equal “ he’s done “.  

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

1 minute ago, bladehunter said:

I don’t disagree with your take on his happiness with it.  I’m sure he was furious.  As any competitor would be. 

but high expectations don’t mean progress stopped.  One begats the other.  It’s complacency that stops progress. So we agree.  

And I think this is the second consecutive post I’ve agreed with you two on.  But I feel like you still want me to say “ he’s done , this fluke can’t possibly win again “. And my agreeing with a flat streak on Sunday , during a comeback of epic proportions, doesn’t equal “ he’s done “.  

Where does that come from? I am in no way saying he’s done. Far from it as he is trending the right way. That said....he needs a kick in the Word not allowed on Sunday. Shooting a field average round will not get it done and should not be defended.

PS this comeback, if he completes it, would not be of epic proportions imo. Good, yes...epic?