Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round 3)

stasek

1 hour ago, Argonne69 said:

Two winters in Arizona has turned me into a marshmallow. Temps in the 30's with 15+ mph winds ain't going to do it. Might actually try to get out on Sunday. Monday is most certain, even if the winds are still 10+.

The one thing that is really nice at the minute is just how dry the courses are. I can't remember an early spring around here that has been this dry.  More like fall conditions, not spring. Cold and dry is significantly better than cold and wet.

• Like 2

Titleist TSi3 10*
Titleist TSi3 16.5*

Titleist 818H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Cottonwood II

Apparently Billy Casper Golf is now Indigo Golf. They're doing their own tee times for all their properties through a call center and I have to say making our group's 3 tee times for next Saturday was very, very easy.  In the transition all the old information didn't come over but it took about a minute to get set up and book the slots.  Let's hope the course maintenance is as good as the operations center.

On 3/30/2021 at 5:35 PM, ldchristopher said:

Broken Arrow today. There were strong 20+ mph gusts throughout the round but it’s nice to play three days in a row. Spring Break is the best. Broken Arrow was pretty meh. The greens still had visible punch marks from last Fall and were rolling at maybe 8 or 8.5. The bunkers are never good there but they were total trash. Worse than Oak Grove. Just mud, leaves, and hard pan. Thankfully I stayed out of the traps, though I wouldn’t argue if someone said they were unplayable. The fairways and tee boxes were fine. I didn’t make any birdies but hit 12 greens, had no three putts and finished with a 75. 

I used to use Broken Arrow as my 'home course'.  That being said, it's gotten a bit pricier these days than  years ago.  I think $47 with a cart there is pushing it.

6:30, a beautiful sunrise.

44 degrees with a three club wind in the wrong direction.

the course was dry and we got ourselves revv'ed up.

had a good day with driver and fairway shots. greens were fast and I should have been less aggressive.

benches and ball washers are back.

is it next week yet?

• Like 2

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

Hills of Bartlett yesterday.  Lots of work being done in the clubhouse.  Can't remember seeing a course play this fast in very early April. On some boxes, it was difficult getting the tee in the ground because of the firmness. Greens need some work, especially they need to be rolled. On 10 after hitting driver 5h over the green, had about a 30 yard chip and got it inside 3 feet. Knew the putt was going to break hard right so started it at least a foot left and never touched the hole, ending on the low side.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AndyC76 said:

Played Fox Lake CC yesterday.  That’ll be a one and done for me.  Didn’t like the layout or the price for the cow pasture it is.  
What was it like prior to the year or two it was closed?   This was my first time playing it as I wouldn’t  choose a cart only courses. 

I played it one time. I thought the layout was decent with a number of tough holes due to the elevation changes. The conditions were decent, but not award winning. 'Sounds like they're milking it until it can be converted to a subdivision.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Am I dreaming? Is this really early April? Couldn't ask for a more gorgeous morning, especially given the conditions the past week or so. I don't normally play on the weekends, but with last week being so cold and/or windy, and the upcoming week looking quite wet, I decided to buck the weekend crowds, or what I thought would be crowds. I played Maple Meadows this morning, and conditions were quite good. Didn't someone mention a few weeks back that the snow cover would help keep the grass in good shape, leading to an early greening? The fairways were very soft, but they're greening up nicely. The greens looked excellent, but need to be cut. With the morning dew they were rolling 8 at most, and probably 9 by the end of the round. Bunkers were sandy, but could use a grooming. Most of the tall junk was either dead or cut down, so stray balls weren't as bad as peak season. Pace was very good. I went off with another single, and we played through two slower groups on the front before settling in behind a quick foursome for the final stretch. No complaints about the 3:45 pace.

Very nice day ballstriking with 9 fairways and 12 greens. I managed to not hit it in the water on par 5 8th (yeah!), and carded a sweet birdie on the 6th after knocking a 9 wood from the right rough to within 10 feet. Best, or should I say luckiest, shot of the day was my 2nd on the final hole. I blocked my drive right to within a foot of the penalty area, but I had a gap in the trees that I could punch a 7 iron. I missed the opening right, but somehow squeezed the ball through the 'V' in the right tree that couldn't have been more than 6 inches wide. I could hit 1000 golf balls and not get one through that opening. Lol.

Looks like a chance of a stray t-storm tomorrow, but I'll probably take a chance. I sat out last Monday due to the forecast, and the rain never came.

• Like 1

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

First round of the year today (not counting the 6 holes I played last weekend) and it felt good to get out. Weather was perfect and it felt great to get back out there. Didn’t play as bad as I though I would for the first time out in 4 months. Chipping was very bad, will need to get some practice in around the greens. 

• Like 1

Played Calumet Country Club and Ravisloe on Friday. Stay away from Calumet, the greens were rolling at a 3 maybe and looked like shag carpet. Looks like the maintenance crew hasnt been out there since last year. I know they arent pumping money into the place anymore but greens were honestly horrible and a few had major weed problems as well. Fairways and tee boxes were fine and traps were okay but greens were really bad. 

Ravisloe was in as good of condition as you can expect for this time of year. If youre in that area and looking for a round its a no brainer and head to Rav. 

• Like 2

Titleist TSI3 9* - Graphite Design AD IZ 6X

Callaway Epic Speed 15* - Hzrdous Smoke 

Titleist TS2 19 Hybrid - Hzrdous Smoke

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW - Project X IO

Bettinardi HLX 3.0 54*

Taylor Made Hi Toe 58*

Bettinardi Hive BB 34 DASS

TItleist ProV1

Lovely morning at Wilmette. A few sprinkles on a couple of holes, but it passed quickly. The course is greening up nicely. Their fairways have always been a weird mixture of multiple strains of grass, so even though it's playable, you can get different lies. The rough was cut to a good length. Teeboxes were in the process of being aerated, but there was still plenty of turf to get good traction, and get a tee in the ground. Bunkers had plenty of sand, but need grooming after a weekend of play. The greens were aerated a few weeks ago, and are ~80% healed. They don't look pristine, but I didn't notice any appreciable wobble on the rolling putts. Speeds were quite good for this time of the year. I'd say 9. It looks like they lost a handful of large trees. The left side of the 3rd hole at ~130 yds out looks like two or three are missing. There were a number of temporary construction fences throughout the course. It looks like they're adding a few more sprinklers, and a few drains. Should help with the standing water in spots, e.g. the turf between the par 3 7th teebox and green. Pace was excellent. I went out as a single, and I could see numerous singles and twosomes out there, but they were moving quickly. Sub-three hour round.

I'll probably head back again tomorrow. $40 walking only rate isn't a bargain, but without carts the place is rather empty.

I had Big Run all to myself yesterday afternoon, literally. By the time I wrapped up there was one employee left, playing somewhere on the course. The shop and clubhouse were all locked up.

I love being out on that course, even though it usually kicks my butt. If I ever win one of those nine-figure lottery jackpots, I'm buying the place.

• Like 2

On 4/2/2021 at 1:49 PM, chrisf60526 said:

I used to use Broken Arrow as my 'home course'.  That being said, it's gotten a bit pricier these days than  years ago.  I think $47 with a cart there is pushing it.

Joliet park district is raising their rates this year as well. I want to say I paid $45 for 18 w/ a cart in mid-April at Woodruff. I've always liked having a short course close by to walk a late round now and then, but that's just too much money for a muni course that barely clears 6000 yards from the tips.

11 hours ago, PuttCurseRepeat said:

I had Big Run all to myself yesterday afternoon, literally. By the time I wrapped up there was one employee left, playing somewhere on the course. The shop and clubhouse were all locked up.

I love being out on that course, even though it usually kicks my butt. If I ever win one of those nine-figure lottery jackpots, I'm buying the place.

Such an underrated course in the southwest suburbs. It's long and has as much elevation change as any course you'll find nearby, even if they could stand to get rid of a few trees. Best of all though, it might have the best clubhouse vibes I've seen in quite some time. So much character in and around that course, it will always be on my short list of places I want to play.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, thepunch_out said:

Such an underrated course in the southwest suburbs. It's long and has as much elevation change as any course you'll find nearby, even if they could stand to get rid of a few trees. Best of all though, it might have the best clubhouse vibes I've seen in quite some time. So much character in and around that course, it will always be on my short list of places I want to play.

That course is always a blast. So many fun holes out there. You mentioned being the only one out there, and that's rarely the case as rounds are traditionally 5+ hours on the weekends unless you're off before 9am. 

The 9th hole to 10th hole combo is one of my favorites. The brute of a par 5 followed by the driveable par 4 is a great stretch. Plus the looming 13th that is 225 from the back, all carry is always something to look forward to. Would be a tremendous track if they put a little TLC in to it. 

• Like 3

I've had many nice experiences at Big Run and it's a sentimental favorite.

Last time I played was 10 years ago.

Part of that is due to kids and living further away now.

Buddy played last fall and said it was in terrible condition, like maintenance was stopped.

Rumors abound that the course is not long for this world.

Real Estate Development potentially, we'll see...

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

Another beautiful day, and another round at Wilmette. Obviously not a lot is going to change in 24 hours. They watered the greens, so they were only running 8 or so to start the round. The back was faster. The bunkers were groomed. Man, they were nice. Unfortunately I was in a few too many of them. Pace was less than 3 hours again with just a handful of twosomes and singles out there.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mci711 said:

Big Run should have been turned into houses as planned. Not really, I hate seeing courses closed, but that place is terrible. 

Boo!!!

5 hours ago, geochitown said:

I've had many nice experiences at Big Run and it's a sentimental favorite.

Last time I played was 10 years ago.

Part of that is due to kids and living further away now.

Buddy played last fall and said it was in terrible condition, like maintenance was stopped.

Rumors abound that the course is not long for this world.

Real Estate Development potentially, we'll see...

Admittedly, conditions are below average there, but I look past it as it is a helluva layout and they do keep the greens in good condition though I notice they always have trouble with the 13th green to the right of the big ridge separating the left and right half.

I heard there was a deal for the property, but it fell through after evaluation of the water situation. Apparently the creek valley bisecting the property would be an engineering nightmare to make it suitable for development.

I already have a master plan in my head for the course when my ticket comes in. It involves felling quite a few trees, obviously, as well as putting church pew bunkers between the 11th and 18th fairway and moving the 18th green down the hill, shortening the hole about 25 yards....

3 hours ago, chrisf60526 said:

The clubhouse at Big Run is like land of the lost.  I went into the locker room once and felt like I was transported to the 80s.  It does kinda feel like it's not long for this world....

The 80's? 😄 More like the 50's or 60's. I swore I bumped into Sam Snead heading into the locker room.

I forgot to mention that it appears that Wilmette is starting the process of installing crushed rock cart paths. There's a path along the right side of the 10th hole. I didn't notice any others yet. Glencoe is slowly doing the same thing. It looks like it's going to be a long process unless they kick it into high gear. Glencoe has been working on their paths for at least 3 years now. Not sure why they simply don't get on with it. They do lose a lot of revenue when it's wet and carts are a no-go. That said, as a walker I wouldn't mind if they took ten years to finish the work. Lol.

• Like 1

THanks, Arg.  Path right along OB right on 10?  Probably safer than between 10 and 18.

I love the short par 4's at Wilmette, and especially the tucked back tee box on the par 5 6th.

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

... I can't think of a more polarizing course than Big Run. I would not play it for free because it seems like it was designed as a senior class engineering project. I always walk and I really don't like the BR walk. 

• Like 2

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

57 minutes ago, geochitown said:

THanks, Arg.  Path right along OB right on 10?  Probably safer than between 10 and 18.

I love the short par 4's at Wilmette, and especially the tucked back tee box on the par 5 6th.

Yeah, the cart path starts to the left of the 10th teebox, and then cuts in front of the teebox before turning towards the green along side the right side just off of the fairway. It's closer to the fairway than the OB stakes. There is a somewhat large mound ~75 yds from the teebox that they cut through to avoid having the path take a sharp rise and fall. I assume they'll have to install paving bricks inside the channel to avoid the channel walls from collapsing on the path. Near the 10th green it joins the original partial path right of the green, and then around the back of the hole to the 11th teebox.

Definitely a better spot for it than between the 10th and 18th.

I like the short 5th and the 15th. The 14th is fairly bland. The 8th isn't particularly long, so I'd like to see at least one of them lengthened. However, there's just no room.

The big issue with the 6th's teebox is the turf conditions. It doesn't get a lot of sunlight being so enclosed, so turf is thin most of the year. It was a pity that they removed the big willow tree on the corner of the dogleg. It ate a lot of golf balls, and really gave the hole some teeth. 

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 1

Another lovely morning. Glenview Park GC today. $39 walking rate isn't too bad, as the course tends to get pricey during the summer. The course was in great shape. Can't say I've seen a course this green so early in the summer. Fairways were nice. The rough was cut to a good height. Bunkers were freshly groomed, although they could use another 1/2" of sand. The greens looked excellent. With the early morning dew they were rolling 8 or so. By the turn things had dried out, and they were easily 9, and possible 10.

The pace was fine at 2:50, but should have been a little quicker. I was in a foursome that was the first out today. I asked the starter if we could split into two twosomes, and he flat out said no. I saw only a couple of grounds crew out on the course during the round, so no idea why they wanted the lead groups to play slower than possible. Anyway, two in our group went ahead on the fourth hole, and we moved faster after that. I noticed that the group behind us had also split into two twosomes, so obviously we weren't the only ones interested in a quicker round.

• Like 2

Village Links of GE this morning for my first round of the year. Gorgeous morning, and had the first tee time of the day at 630am. Course was in really good shape for this time of the year. Wasn't in any traps, but my buddy said they were nice and soft. Greens were definitely slow, but sped up a little as the day went on.

• Like 2

Titleist TSi2 Titleist TS2 3w Titleist TS2 Hybrid Titleist T100 5-PW Titleist 718 T-MB 4i Vokey SM8 50*, 56*, 60* Scotty Cameron TeI3 Newport

Hi Guys. I have a (hopefully) interesting, albeit specific, question for you. My wonderful wife is gifting me a nice round of golf for my upcoming birthday. As a newer golfer, I have yet to play any "nice" courses in the area. I generally spend my time hacking around the local munis. Consequently, I have no idea where to book this round and I thought you guys could help. 

Some background: I've been playing for three years and still have a very high handicap. I generally shoot around 100. I really don't have much interest in getting my a** handed to me by Dubsdread or the like. I would obviously still love an interesting course that is well maintained and fun for a high handicapper. I walk my rounds if that matters. I live in the city and would like to limit the drive time to under an hour of downtown. 

Where should I play?