2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Biggest complaint per brand

JD3

> @JD3 said:

> Titleist - pricing and they always seem to be a year or 2 behind the competition in club design (although I think the latter is changing)

>

> Mizuno - they're good looking blades don't go anywhere...really dead....and the look of all their other irons sucks.

>

> Srixon - V sole is a joke, a destructive way of trying to differentiate their product. I want my sole to rest firmly on the ground, and bounce in the back of it to do its thing.

>

> Callaway - woods have a slap fade bias, stock shafts for the most part suck

>

> Taylormade - can't seem to make good iron. Even the P790's (or whatever model that hollow form filled head is) is unbearable to look at.

>

> Ping - irons feel and sound like crap, hollow and/or tinny

>

> Miura - nice forging but most of their grinds don't add to playability, it's like the grind is not a consideration in how the club actually performs

>

> Cobra - whacked out appearance, toy racing car colors and patterns

>

> PXG - over priced, over hyped, Frankenstein bolts everywhere appearance

>

>

>

>

So, if all are so bad - what clubs do you play and why?

> @phatchrisrules said:

> Yet the OP has almost every company they are moaning about in the bag. I know this is a troll thread but the Lamkin comment is laughable. Some of the worst grips on the market are made by Golf Pride. Anything New Decade wears out in about 15 rounds and is a direct copy of Sharpro maybe from around the same time. Their Tour Sensr putter grip feels like a floppy marital aid and the Align technology is a joke; it's a way to rehash a ribbed grip but charge more for it because it is "outside" the club. Screw that noise, you can't even feel it, give me a rib all day long. Lamkin has a superior rubber compound that lasts significantly longer than any Golf Pride I have ever seen. I had a set of the original Lamkin Crossline cords on my clubs for almost 2 years (while playing 2x weekly) and they were still sharp and grippy as ever. Try that with a Tour Velvet Cord or a Z-Cord, they'll be so shiny you can use them as a rearview mirror after about 50 rounds.

Have to disagree with the Tour Sensr Grip, it has far and away become my favorite putter grip. I would agree with OP about Winn grips being relatively shoddy. I have never had grips wear out so quickly as I have with Winn's. They are great.......for the five rounds they stay intact for.

• Like 1

Driver - Taylormade M2 2017 9.75*

3W - Cobra RadSpeed Draw 14.5*

5W - Callaway Epic Flash 18*

7W - Taylormade M4 5HL 21*

5H - Callaway Rogue 24*

Irons - Taylormade P790 6-PW

Wedges - TM Milled Grind 50* & 54* | Hi-Toe 60*

Putter - Nike Method Converge B1-01

Grips - MCC clone| Ball - TP5

> @phatchrisrules said:

> Yet the OP has almost every company they are moaning about in the bag. I know this is a troll thread but the Lamkin comment is laughable. Some of the worst grips on the market are made by Golf Pride. Anything New Decade wears out in about 15 rounds and is a direct copy of Sharpro maybe from around the same time. Their Tour Sensr putter grip feels like a floppy marital aid and the Align technology is a joke; it's a way to rehash a ribbed grip but charge more for it because it is "outside" the club. Screw that noise, you can't even feel it, give me a rib all day long. Lamkin has a superior rubber compound that lasts significantly longer than any Golf Pride I have ever seen. I had a set of the original Lamkin Crossline cords on my clubs for almost 2 years (while playing 2x weekly) and they were still sharp and grippy as ever. Try that with a Tour Velvet Cord or a Z-Cord, they'll be so shiny you can use them as a rearview mirror after about 50 rounds.

Nothing in my bag is inconsistent with what I posted.

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Velocore Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW 17.5 Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon ZX MKII 3UT MMT 95

Callaway X Forged CB 21' 4-PW Modus 120

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

He always thought Ping made ugly clubs. They’ve made some decent looking ones recently, but that’s a lot of ugly to overcome.

He has been disappointed by Callaway too much to trust them again, Herr Toulon!!!

Hated both blue and white Diamanda Gales releases.

His opinion of shafts and grips changes over time. It’s really curious and he doesn’t blame the manufacturers for it. He really likes Nippons, generally. Currently he hates ctapers, he’s probably too weak.

Feel he should say something about Mizuno and Titleist.

190 yard TM P790 9 iron? Sure. He has three! Nothing is real anymore.

Taylormade M5 Tour 10.5* 

Taylormade 300 Series 15*

Taylormade Sim2 Max 18*

Titleist 818H2  21*

Titleist 718 TMB 4 24*

Titleist 718 AP2  5-PW

Mizuno T20  54*   58*

Taylormade Spider GT  #3

> @JD3 said:

> > @MadGolfer76 said:

> > Doubt OP has tried half the stuff he's mentioned in this thread.

>

> You're falling the oem trap of "trying and buying". Like true temper slapping the name "elevate 95" on their TT lite from 25 years ago getting some suckers to buy it. More generally I don't need to "try" Mizuno irons to know they look bad (like cast head prototypes sitting on the shop floor) or canary yellow cobra drivers to know they look like toys.

How in the world do you know what I've tried and bought? I've played the same gear all season long. In any case, you should have at least tried some of this stuff before posting a thread like this. Poor form at best, and attention seeking at it's worst.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

> @JD3 said:

> > @phatchrisrules said:

> > Yet the OP has almost every company they are moaning about in the bag. I know this is a troll thread but the Lamkin comment is laughable. Some of the worst grips on the market are made by Golf Pride. Anything New Decade wears out in about 15 rounds and is a direct copy of Sharpro maybe from around the same time. Their Tour Sensr putter grip feels like a floppy marital aid and the Align technology is a joke; it's a way to rehash a ribbed grip but charge more for it because it is "outside" the club. Screw that noise, you can't even feel it, give me a rib all day long. Lamkin has a superior rubber compound that lasts significantly longer than any Golf Pride I have ever seen. I had a set of the original Lamkin Crossline cords on my clubs for almost 2 years (while playing 2x weekly) and they were still sharp and grippy as ever. Try that with a Tour Velvet Cord or a Z-Cord, they'll be so shiny you can use them as a rearview mirror after about 50 rounds.

>

> Nothing in my bag is inconsistent with what I posted.

Can we talk about that for a bit? Strong right up to your shoes. Jumped the shark there.

Paradym 10.5

Epic 3w 15

Callaway Apex UW 21*

Titelist T150

Callaway Jaws 5 50*, 54*

Cleve Zip 60*

Ping PLD3/Rahm Rossie S/TP Mills Fleetwood custom

> Titleist - Archaic low tech junk, just over-priced and shiny so the CC boys feel good about having a full matching set of clubs/balls/bag/luggage/gloves/etc

>

> Mizuno - For the short knockers, since they can barely hit out of their shadow, they need to latch onto something silly like "feel"

>

> Srixon - LOL. Great presence on the LPGA tour

>

> Callaway - Trash. Terrible sound, terrible looks, biggest sellers are box sets at Costco

>

> Taylormade - Basically the Hyundai of golf gear. Tons of marketing, lots of celebrity hype, average performance

>

> Ping - Shovels for the ditch diggers and woods that sound you are hitting a trash can. Most sets you see on the course are 10+ years old and played by guys struggling to break 110. Hard pass

>

> Miura - Not even that soft, for the short knockers who think they are too good for mizuno and love a leather staff bag.

>

> Cobra -The Fischer Price of golf gear, enough said.

>

> PXG - For those who like to let the world know that money doesn't buy class.

Cool thread, my turn!

> @Krt22 said:

> > Titleist - Archaic low tech junk, just over-priced and shiny so the CC boys feel good about having a full matching set of clubs/balls/bag/luggage/gloves/etc

> >

> > Mizuno - For the short knockers, since they can barely hit out of their shadow, they need to latch onto something silly like "feel"

> >

> > Srixon - LOL. Great presence on the LPGA tour

> >

> > Callaway - Trash. Terrible sound, terrible looks, biggest sellers are box sets at Costco

> >

> > Taylormade - Basically the Hyundai of golf gear. Tons of marketing, lots of celebrity hype, average performance

> >

> > Ping - Shovels for the ditch diggers and woods that sound you are hitting a trash can. Most sets you see on the course are 10+ years old and played by guys struggling to break 110. Hard pass

> >

> > Miura - Not even that soft, for the short knockers who think they are too good for mizuno and love a leather staff bag.

> >

> > Cobra -The Fischer Price of golf gear, enough said.

> >

> > PXG - For those who like to let the world know that money doesn't buy class.

>

>

> Cool thread, my turn!

Agree, that was some good work right there

Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips

> @JD3 said:

> I could go on to components.....

>

> KBS - kim bradly is annoying

>

> Projext X - they keep trying to come out with stuff they claim is not project x in feel, when it actually is. Just roll with out....boardy defines the brand

>

> True temper - lot of their "new innovations" are just recycled versions of their earlier failuers like TT light. My hunch is that all elevate and 105 really are.

>

> Second tier grip manufacturers - lamkin and wynn make crappy stuff. You'd thinking with the time and effort they put into it they could at least get one right.

>

> Nippon - spongy, feelingless shafts (although modus seems like step in right direction, confusing to sort thru them though)

>

> Aldila - claim a break thru every year, rarely deliver

>

> Diamana - they're best days are behind them with white and blue boards.

>

>

>

Lol. Perhaps you can open up you’re own manufacturing business; start making grips and shafts?

Really like Ping, Titleist, and Mizuno. Have played Ping irons since 1986, but switched to Mizuno because they offered more shafts without an upcharge, and the graphites were the same price of the steel. Don't like the pw and two gw set up in the AP1s. If I carry four wedges I'd want the fourth to be a lw rather than a sw. Really don't have any negative thoughts about other companies, and for reasons I really can't explain, I prefer Ping, Mizuno, and Titleist.

> @"Marco Colo" said:

> Not sure why so many negative comments.

> Frankly it is a much more interesting post than "Set wedges vs Speciality wedges".. And yes, I have opened one wedges post like that in the past :D :D

Exactly. Weird thread is weird. But not because of the OP. This forum always list the positives, so why not list some negatives he has.

> @JD3 said:

> > @phatchrisrules said:

> > Yet the OP has almost every company they are moaning about in the bag. I know this is a troll thread but the Lamkin comment is laughable. Some of the worst grips on the market are made by Golf Pride. Anything New Decade wears out in about 15 rounds and is a direct copy of Sharpro maybe from around the same time. Their Tour Sensr putter grip feels like a floppy marital aid and the Align technology is a joke; it's a way to rehash a ribbed grip but charge more for it because it is "outside" the club. Screw that noise, you can't even feel it, give me a rib all day long. Lamkin has a superior rubber compound that lasts significantly longer than any Golf Pride I have ever seen. I had a set of the original Lamkin Crossline cords on my clubs for almost 2 years (while playing 2x weekly) and they were still sharp and grippy as ever. Try that with a Tour Velvet Cord or a Z-Cord, they'll be so shiny you can use them as a rearview mirror after about 50 rounds.

>

> Nothing in my bag is inconsistent with what I posted.

May I remind you of your comments about KBS being annoying, Aldila having no new tech, and Mitsubishi being past its prime? I count all of those in your signature. Tinny feeling Ping irons certainly translate over to the woods, if not moreso by design, and I see a Ping hybrid in your signature. Need I go on?

Taylormade R510TP - Speeder 757 Sonartec NP-99 14* and 17* - NV Green 85 Nickent Genex 3DX 21* - Dynamic Gold SL Titleist 660 4-P - Dynamic Gold Cleveland 54* and 59* - Dynamic Gold Scotty Cameron Teryllium

> @phatchrisrules said:

> > @JD3 said:

> > > @phatchrisrules said:

> > > Yet the OP has almost every company they are moaning about in the bag. I know this is a troll thread but the Lamkin comment is laughable. Some of the worst grips on the market are made by Golf Pride. Anything New Decade wears out in about 15 rounds and is a direct copy of Sharpro maybe from around the same time. Their Tour Sensr putter grip feels like a floppy marital aid and the Align technology is a joke; it's a way to rehash a ribbed grip but charge more for it because it is "outside" the club. Screw that noise, you can't even feel it, give me a rib all day long. Lamkin has a superior rubber compound that lasts significantly longer than any Golf Pride I have ever seen. I had a set of the original Lamkin Crossline cords on my clubs for almost 2 years (while playing 2x weekly) and they were still sharp and grippy as ever. Try that with a Tour Velvet Cord or a Z-Cord, they'll be so shiny you can use them as a rearview mirror after about 50 rounds.

> >

> > Nothing in my bag is inconsistent with what I posted.

>

> May I remind you of your comments about KBS being annoying, Aldila having no new tech, and Mitsubishi being past its prime? I count all of those in your signature. Tinny feeling Ping irons certainly translate over to the woods, if not moreso by design, and I see a Ping hybrid in your signature. Need I go on?

Kim is annoying, I didn't say his products were bad .

Aldilla nv is pretty much the NV from decades ago, which I like. But the paint job and more characters doesnt make it a break thru. The mitsubishi shaft came stock in my hybrid and I'm leaving it for now anyway, I bought that totally for the head which is phenomenal. Tinny irons DO NOT translate to tinny woods. Anything else I can shoot down?

Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips

If we're going to do a troll thread, here's mine:

PXG. I'm not giving anything to that guy, ever. He shoots elephants and exploits women. He might be "good at business" but f that guy. Everything they stand for, from poaching engineers from across town to selling domain names with T&A is all bad karma. I'd rather quit golf than have to play PXG, and I mean that sincerely. Fortunately I don't have to play PXG, because I don't have ridiculous cash to pay triple for the same tech.

• Like 3

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.

> @matchavez said:

> If we're going to do a troll thread, here's mine:

>

> PXG. I'm not giving anything to that guy, ever. He shoots elephants and exploits women. He might be "good at business" but f that guy. Everything they stand for, from poaching engineers from across town to selling domain names with T&A is all bad karma. I'd rather quit golf than have to play PXG, and I mean that sincerely. Fortunately I don't have to play PXG, because I don't have ridiculous cash to pay triple for the same tech.

Agreed their products are over hyped crap, and their owner is a PoS. They won't get a dime from me for either reason. Imagine paying money for over hyped crap not even as good as stuff 1/3rd the price, and knowing your dollars are going to support murder of the world's most beautiful, wonderous, and vulnerable species.

Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips

OP is just a ray of sunshine....

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

Titleist- AP2s are a little spiny

Ping- finally getting the LST correct

Callaway- color schemes are a little wonky

Mizuno- PW head shape

Taylormade- trying to put driver tech in wedges. Finally though they had it with the MG and hi toe. Then screwed it up with the MG2.

• Like 1

Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 7*........................Project X Smoke Green 60 TX
Taylormade Stealth Plus 13*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 8X
Taylormade Stealth Plus 17*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 9X

Srixon ZX Utility 3..........................................Fujikura Ventus Black 10TX
Srixon ZX Utility 4..........................................Dynamic Gold X7
Srixon ZX7 5-9...............................................Dynamic Gold X7
Cleveland Zipcore Raw 47, 53......................Dynamic Gold X7

Vokey Wedge Works V Grind 59..................Dynamic Gold S400
Yes! Ann.........................................................KBS GPS 120

I'll change the course of this :)

I love my Ping G30's, look is fine and my game has been the best its been.

I have blue Lamkin grips on those G30's which look awesome. They also feel awesome, so far they've held up great

I love my Scotty Cameron with my SuperStroke Mid 3.0 2018 PGA Championship grip. I've been putting so well I think I'm gonna pony up and get it refinished in the offseason. Something to commemorate the STL blues stanley cup win and add my 2year old's and daughter who's coming in decembers initials.

I just bought a Callaway Rogue driver off my buddy who didnt want it. I've never driven the ball better, last three rounds have been around 60% of fairways hit, this has improved my scoring a ton. I think last round i didnt send one OB with the driver which is HUGE for me.

Love my exotics hybrids.

Love my Under Armour bag I bought from Costco.

My Garmin Approach S20 might be the best golf purchase i've ever made. The Rogue is sneaking up on it tho.

Basically i dont have any complaints haha.

1. Golf Pride - not selling midsize full cords like Koepka gets to use, and also having a terrible selection of colors for midsize MCC +4 (want red)

2. Mizuno - like the above post, the website is absolute worthless trash

3. Ping - take the stupid turbulators off your driver and I'd at least agree to hit it once bc I love the driver otherwise and would probably buy

4. Vokey - took a step back in looks for the first time going from sm6 to sm7, I just dislike how they stamped loft and model types on the 7

5. Every manufacturer - please offer 80 g shaft options on your websites to order shafts in for fairway woods

6. Callaway - color system for the epic flash is terrible, I would have bought a subzero driver and 3 wood if it wasn't an awful green/yellow

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 8 deg - Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6X

Titleist TSi3 15 deg - Fujikura Ventus Black 8X

Titleist TSR3 19 deg - Fujikura Ventus Black HB 9TX

Titleist T200 4 - TT DG TI X100

Titleist T100 (2019) 5-PW - TT DG TI X100

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 50.12 F - TT DG TI X100

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 54.14 F - TT DG TI S400

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 58.08 M - TT DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Titleist ProV1