Anyone consider dumping hybrids from their bag and just playing irons and woods?

jjfcpa

> @agolf1 said:

> > @Z1ggy16 said:

> > Put a 5w in the bag over a 3h. Few observations:

> >

> > 1) With roughly the same shaft weight and about 1.75'' extra length, my 5w is going about 10-20 yards longer than the hybrid.

> >

> > 2) The hybrid is more accurate.

> >

> > 3) The hybrid is easier to hit out of 'suspect' lies like rough.

> >

> > 4) The hybrid flies a little bit lower.

> >

> > 5) Fairway is easier off the tee but harder to hit off the fairway.

> >

> > 6) The hybrid is less forgiving and miss hits, especially low in the face, get punished heavily compared to the fairway.

> >

> > Jury is still out for me because I'm not 100% sure this particular (Rogue) 5w will stay in my bag. It's a little draw biased and I've already got a draw biased swing, so usually those two things don't mix. I tend to prefer neutral to even slightly fade biased heads to offset my typical in to out path with a shut face delivery. I'd much rather see a little bit of a push that ends up in the rough than a big sweeping low spin hook that might run off into hazard or other things. Most likely going to try an M3 5w next, and if I don't like that, I'll just go back to my 818H2. The main reason I switched was to see a little more ball speed and more forgiveness.

>

> I swapped out a 4H for a 7W, and generally agree with a few slight modifications. I prefer the 7W from the fairway and good lies in the light rough. I do miss the hybrid for a) crappy lies in the rough and b) sidehill lies / quasi recovery shots when a ways off the fairway. For a) I found that i usually wasn't advance the ball much further than taking a 6 iron but I do think there was some safety from the hybrid's head vs the iron. For b) I just don't trust the longer shaft on the fairway wood and the larger clubhead also seems like it is more difficult to get cleanly on the ball at times.

>

> Net-Net, I'm kind of indifferent and probably won't switch back until I just want some new clubs to play.

I can see why the fairway might be better for good lies in rough as the grass might tee the ball up a touch, which I'd rather have a larger headed fairway for, than a small hybrid head. For heavier rough though it's no contest for me, hybrid gets through grass much easier, partly due to smaller size, possibly heavier head weight, but also I feel like I don't need to swing as shallow like with the fairway.

I also find the Rogue fairway head to be rather large for a 5w. It's possible even bigger than my LTD 3w and it's kind of a turn off for me. About a 10-20% chance the Rogue stays... Either going back to the 818H2 or trying out the M3.

> @ChipNRun said:

> > @agolf1 said:

> > Maybe try a higher lofted fairway? Lots of OEMs making clubs in the 21 - 24 degree range now. Here, the setup, look, and feel can be the same as your 3-wood, 5-wood, or whatever.

> @jjfcpa ,

> Not sure what you have for the rest of your bag, but do you carry a FW? You might be a good candidate for a 5W or higher as your distance club. As I have mentioned in previous posts, I have carried **4W + 7W** for eight seasons now. The little extra loft really makes a difference, and the shorter shafts improve control. Similarly, my long-hitting pro has a long shafted 5W for his sole fairway wood.

>

> You show the Tour Edge EXS driver in your thumbnail. Do you have other TE clubs? (See my sig area). You might be a good candidate for the TE iron woods, either the High Launch or the CBX models. The iron woods started out as a driving iron variant, but now you can get an entire iron set of them. If you had a 4W or 5W, plus maybe an Ironwood 3i and 4i, this might do the trick for you.

>

> I know what you mean about hybrids. I'm getting my CB Pro 4i refitted with a 75-gram SteelFiber hybrid shaft. 4i worked great off the tee but was iffy off fairway... if hybrid shaft improves launch I may drop 4H, or put it on standby.

>

My setup is as follows:

Driver (Tour Edge), 3W & 7 heavenwood (Callaway Epic Flash), 4 - PW (Apex CF19), 48* & 54* wedge (MD4), Odyssey Stroke Lab One putter

The 7 heavenwood and 4 iron fill the bill for removing the hybrids. Seems to be working for me.

> @jjfcpa said:

> The 7 heavenwood and 4 iron fill the bill for removing the hybrids. Seems to be working for me.

What distances do you get out of 3W, HeavenW and 4i? For some reason I have never hit a Heavenwood, and I'm not sure how far it flies with high loft + longer shaft.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

Considered it and tried it for a couple rounds when my hybrid wasn't behaving and it reminded me how important my hybrid is outside of full shots. Rescue, bare lies, muddy lies, greenside. I regripped my hybrid with a slightly different shape/size grip and it's pretty solidly back in the bag now.

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

• 4 months later...

Bumping this thread. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve tried and tried and tried to make hybrids work but it just never works for me. I’ve had 818H2, 818H1, PING G400, PING G410, M6, TS2, TS3....the list goes on. I was worried that the 5W I have would not be as versatile out of crap lies but I just can’t knock it and is the most reliable club in my bag. If I get in a terrible lie I’ll just pull out the 4 iron and hack at it.

Im going :

TS2 driver

TS2 3W

TS2 5W

no hybrids

think the other thing about the 5 wood is if I need to hit it shorter or punch it I feel it’s a lot friendlier than doing the same with a hybrid

PING G430 LST 10.5° | DIAMANA GT 60X

COBRA DARKSPEED X 3HF 16.5° | HZRDUS BLACK 70X

PING G425 7W 20.5° | DIAMANA GT 70X

SRIXON ZX5 5-6 | MMT TAPER 105TX

SRIXON ZX7 7-PW | MMT TAPER 105TX

PING GLIDE 4.0 50°/54°/58° | MMT WEDGE 125TX

ODYSSEY TRI-HOT 5K SEVEN DB

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

I went the other way. Have never played hybrids, as the few I tried years ago just didn't work for me. My 5 wood was becoming less and less useful, so I bought a 2 hybrid to try and replace it. After testing it in a sim with Trackman, I ordered a 3 hybrid to replace my 3 iron.

The 5W would balloon on shots into the wind, and just did not go far enough anymore.

And at 56yo, I have to face the fact that I'm just not consistent enough with a blade 3 iron.

Srixon Z545 8.5° - Attas 11 7S
Honma TW747 3HL (16.5°) - Tour AD-IZ 7S

Honma TW747 7 wood - Attas 5 GoGo 7S

Honma TW-X 3 iron - Vizzard 85S (alternates with LW)

4-PW 2015 OnOff Forged Kuro - AMT Tour White X100 SSx2

50°-08 - Fourteen RM-4 - AMT X100
56°-10 - Fourteen RM-4 H grind - AMT X100
64°-10 - Callaway Jaws Full Toe Black - Dynamic Gold Spinner (alternates with 3 iron)

Piretti Cottonwood II, 375g - KBS GPS, P2 Aware Tour

Grips - Star Sidewinder 360

Maxfli Tour Yellow

Vessel Player III - Iridium

I have tried hybrids and have hit some good shots, but every 4th or 5th shot is a big hook off of the planet that would kill me. I used several of the cobra bafflers for awhile, but I have been playing iron type hybrids for the last 3 or so years. That big, killer hook has scared me off and I don't even think about going back to a traditional hybrid.

[b][color=#000080]Driver[/color] - [color=#0000cd][i]M3; 10[/i][/color]
[color=#000080]3 Wood[/color] - [color=#0000cd][i]Maltby KE4 Tour TC; 16[/i][/color]
[color=#000080]Hybrid 1[/color] - [i][color=#0000cd]Mizuno Fli-Hi; 21[/color][/i]
[color=#000080]Hybrid 2[/color] - [color=#0000cd][i]Maltby KE4 Tour HDI Hybrid; 25[/i][/color]
[color=#000080]5 iron to PW[/color] - [color=#0000cd][i]Maltby MMB[/i][/color]
[color=#000080]Wedge 1[/color] - [i][color=#0000cd]Maltby Tour Grind MG; 52[/color][/i]
[color=#000080]Wedge 2[/color] - [color=#0000cd][i]Maltby CER; 56[/i][/color]
[color=#000080]Wedge 3[/color] - [i][color=#0000cd]Callaway PM Wedge; 64[/color][/i]
[color=#000080]Putter[/color] - [color=#0000cd][i]Ping Zing 2[/i][/color][/b]

I don't use hybrids, never liked 'em. Have 7 & 9 woods. 9w gets taken out @ times in leu of 5 iron depending on wind & or course, each a 195 carry club. There is a fairway loft that will get you the next greater distance than your longest iron. It just takes a little time to figure it out.

Note: every time that I have replaced a fairway wood, the shaft had to be modified (meaning tip trimmed). So, don't despair if your control is off @ first because the shaft can probably be dialed in.

Yup, done it this year.

3 hybrid has gone and good riddance.

3 iron (U500) in the bag and it’s probably my favourite club in the bag now

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix / Bridgestone Tour B-X

Yep, I'm in exactly the same situation. I never resonated with hybrids, which seem to exist to solve a problem I don't have -- getting a long iron up in the air. They all seem to have a pretty strong hook bias, as well. I can produce hooks pretty well all on my own. I don't need any help in that department.

Even thought the hybrid has a shorter shaft and should be easier to control I found the opposite than my 5W. I actually cut down my 5W shaft to match the stock specs for the TS2 7w and the extra 1/2 inch cut down makes a huge difference in terms of control and I dont sacrifice that much distance but gain control. I think its important with the 5W heads to find a shaft that is a low/low to counterbalance the high ball flight.

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

I cut a 20 degree apex hybrid down to 38.5 inches. Put a heavier weight in to maintain a decent swing weight. I'm not in love with it, as I can still hook it about as far as I can hit it sometimes, but its by far the best of the bunch so far for me. Still trying to find the right clubs to get it out of the bag. Might try a 7 wood next. the only thing i like about the hybrid is that its useful from different lies, and I can hit a low stinger out of rough and under trees. I use it around the greens sometimes as well. So the versatility is nice, but on full shots from the fairway with trouble to the left, I sweat bullets with it.

PING G400 MAX 10*, Ventus Blue 6X

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood - THE GOAT

Cobra F6 Baffler 17,5*, AD DI 8S

Cobra F7 Hybrid 21.5*, AD DI 95S

Srixon ZX5mk2 5, ZX7mk2 6-PW Modus 120x

50/54/60 Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore DG Spinner

I don't carry any hybrids. I never met one that I didn't hook. Plus I'm sort of suspicious that hybrids ruin the iron game. No facts to prove it.

I'll gladly take a 7 wood any day or even a 9 wood ( I don't carry either).

Driver:  TM iQ10 10.5*

3 Wood: TM Stealth2 16.5*;  7 Wood: TM Stealth2 21*

Irons:  Srixon ZX5 4 - P

SW:  Titleist SM9 F 50* and S 56*

Putter:  TM Spider TourZ

I have never gotten along with hybrids very well (except for an i25) and am currently carrying just fairways and irons. 7 woods are under-rated. I am pretty steep and still much prefer this setup

G430 Max 9* - Hzrdus Blue PVD 
Stealth 15* - Tour AD-IZ 

U505 2i - Hzrdus Black rdx

T200u 4i - Tour AD
Fly Z + 5-P - PX LZ

SM10 - 50, 55, 60

Versa 7

I used to have a 16* baffler back in the day. Haven't had one since. Just haven't found anything that suits my eye. I've got an M2 4 iron bent to 17* right now that's a straight missile off the tee. Wish I could get it off the ground from the fairway, but the courses I play are 7,000+ yards with a lot of trouble around the greens. I'm usually laying up on 3 of the 4 par 5's.

I had a hybrid for years I just loved but then one day I just couldn’t hit it anymore and instead found myself always opting for my Srixon U45. Went back to woods and long irons and no hybrids and haven’t missed it a bit.

ONOFF Labospec 358 — Tour AD TP6
Titleist TS2 16.5* — Kuro Kage XM 80
Justick Proceed 21* UT — Nippon GOST 
Mizuno MP-20 HMB/MB— MITSUBISHI MMT 105/125
Mizuno T20 50* and 55* — MITSUBISHI MMT 125
Seven ST 61* Black Boron — MCI Black 125 “mild”
Epon Ltd Edition I-33 — Matrix PZ-125 Shaft 

I did this a couple of years ago due to the case of the lefties no matter which hybrid I used wanted to go left so went to irons.

Signature of Solon CC

Ping g430 10k 9 Accra fx 3.0 140 m0

Titleist Tsr1 15 tour ad di6

Titleist 917 18 Kk proto

Titleist Tsr1 4 hybrid Accra fx 2.0 

Titleist t300 5-Pw Matrix Red proto moi matched 

Wilson Staff zm 50 recoil dart v

Wilson staff zm 56 recoil dart v

Vokey Wedge Works Raw 60K DG Tour Issue S400 Black Onyx

L.A.B. Mezz Max blue Tpt shaft 34/71

I haven't owned a hybrid for a few years now. The problem I always had with them is that they went too high, and I struggled to hit them consistently. I usually carry a 13* 3w, 17* driving iron, and a blade 3i. I know it seems stupid for an amateur to hit a blade 3i, but I hit it really well, and it's a great option off the tee, because I can keep it down, which I couldn't do very well with a hybrid. I also have a 5 wood I'll occasionally put in the bag for more wide open courses where the driving iron wouldn't be as useful, and where some extra height might help to hit into par 5s. I've also found that the 5 wood gives me the same kind of high launch of a similarly lofted hybrid, but for whatever reason, the 5 wood is more playable out of the rough.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

How easy is that club to hit. I’m struggling with the P790s 4 iron in my bag now and was looking at the U500/510 to replace it

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

This is the plan next year.

I started a new job, had not played as much, in fact very little. The last couple of months, I started playing more often. Gosh, my game is awful, just dreadful. I need to go back to the basics, learn to hit again. The hybrid masks the flaws in my swing, let me tell you.....there are plenty of flaws.

When weather improves, I plan to just play my irons. This is what I used to do to start the golf season. Once my swing gets back to some decent form, then I will add my driver and fairway woods.

Hybrids ? If I am hitting my long irons well, I really do not need to use hybrids.

[size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]driver - Titleist 915 D3 10.5[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]fairway - Ping I25 18 degree 5 wood
hybrid - Ben Hogan VKTR 19 & 23
Irons - Mizuno MP68 3-PW
wedges Mizuno MP-T5 50-58
putter - Ping Sigma G Doon[/font][/size]

Have been able to hit my 3-4 hybrid well...just always to the left. Got tired of fighting it and just put a TS2 7 wood in the bag. Couldn’t be happier...I get a higher ball flight with softer landing. So my bag goes: Driver, 4w, 7w, then 4-pw, etc. seems ideal for me.

East Coast Bag:                                                  West Coast Bag:

G430MAX 10.5 GD Tour AD XC 5R                    G430MAX 10.5 GD Tour AD XC 5R

Gen6P 5W GD Tour AD XC 5R                           Gen6P 3W/7W GD Tour AD XC 5R

Gen6XF 4H/5H/6H GD Tour AD HY 65R.          Fli-Hi Hybrid 23*/26* GD Tour AD HY 65R

P770 '23 7-AW C-Taper LIte 105R                     P790 '23 6-AW C-Taper Lite 105R

MG4 55/59 TW C-Taper Lite 105R                    SM9 55S/59T C-Taper Lite 105R

SC Golo Heavy                                                    Kevin Burns 9304

I can hit hybrids and 5w/7w about the same, so I go with the hybrid as it's more versatile. Unlike some I feel like I can control the hybrids better than FW. But then my hybrids are pretty heavy. I'm going to start progress up and start practicing 3 and 4 irons with my changed swing so it's possible I start switching over!

Callaway Paradym TD 10* Ventus Red TR 5S

Titleist TSR3 13.5* 3 Wood Tour AD-IZ 6S

Titleist TSR3 19* hybrid Modus GOST S

Titleist TSR2 24* hybrid Modus GOST S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 27* Ventus non Velocore S

Titleist T100 2023 6-PW KBS Tour V S

Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron X7.5 CS

I am the opposite guy who use hybrids from 3 iron to pitch wedge with Project X 6.0 steel shafts. Each hybrid has the same loft and length as my regular iron's so the distance is roughly the same. But they are just so easy to hit and very forgiving and consistent.

Driver: Taylormade SIM, 8 degrees, VA Composite Drago 75 X-Stiff

3W: Taylormade M5 15 degrees, VA Composite Drago 75 X-Stiff

Hybrids: Titleist 915H (3-6)Project X 6.0 Flighted shafts

Irons: Bridgestone J40 (7-P), Project X 6.0 Flighted shafts

Wedges: Bridgestone J33 (50,56,60), Project X 6.0 Flighted shafts

Putter: Directed Force 2.1 Putter

Ball: Srixon Z Star XV