2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Has Koepka surpassed Dustin Johnson?

KRAMER1997

> @ctsgolf said:

> DJ has earned a lifetime exemption on Tour, so he has that going for him.

Exactly what I was about to post. There is a reason players are rewarded for sustained excellence on tour. DJ has done what only 7 other players born in the last 70 years have done.

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

I believe Koepka will surpass DJ, partly because he doesn't appear to have mental baggage when playing golf. Koepka comes off as a somewhat simple guy that focuses on the task at hand without letting the media pomp and bull affect his day, plus he doesn't appear to be a Jet setter like DJ and his wife. I like what I see of BK but only time will tell whether or not BK's girlfriend's ways will lead him astray. She does flaunt and bare it in social media. Not good for the career or family, if either is a concern.

• Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

> @Pepperturbo said:

> I believe Koepka will surpass DJ, partly because he doesn't appear to have mental baggage when playing golf. Koepka comes off as a somewhat simple guy that focuses on the task at hand without letting the media pomp and bull affect his day, plus he doesn't appear to be a Jet setter like DJ and his wife. I like what I see of BK but only time will tell whether or not BK's girlfriend's ways will lead him astray. She does flaunt and bare it in social media. Not good for the career or family, if either is a concern.

Pepper! BK wears a thong himself, lol.

BK is in the zone right now. He knows he's better than anybody out there. He pretty much breaks it down here,

“There’s 156 [players] in the field, so you figure at least 80 of them I’m just going to beat,” Koepka said. “You figure about half of them won’t play well from there, so you’re down to about maybe 35. And then from 35, some of them just – pressure is going to get to them. It only leaves you with a few more, and you’ve just got to beat those guys.”

And this shows great maturity,

“I don’t see why you can’t get to double digits,” Koepka said, eyeing a total that has been reached by only three players in the history of the game. “I think one of the big things that I’ve learned over the last few years is you don’t need to win it, you don’t have to try to go win it. Just hang around. If you hang around, good things are going to happen.”

Of course, he hasn't been challenged that much, I could be wrong.

His theory almost worked at the Masters when FM blew the lead. But then a certain somewhat distinguished golfer in his own right closed it out ; )

> @KRAMER1997 said:

> > @DatSliceDoe said:

> > I believe that Koepka could be the best millennial player and easily surpass Tiger and Jack's major record, if he cared. But, he doesn't.

>

> I think this "don't care" attitude is helping him. Look at Spieth, he overanalyzes like crazy and hasn't won in over 2 years, while Koepka just plays golf. If anything I think his attitude is an advantage.

McIlroy as well. He cares way, way too much. If he gave as few fu$*s as Koepka he'd probably have the grand slam by now.

> @bladehunter said:

> Man. Watching Deion return a kick. That’s something that you never forget. And something I haven’t seen done as well since. If he made the first guy miss, you’d better get an angle on him wayyy up field. Or it was over.

Aaaaaah NFL record DEVIN HESTER might have something to say about that! ?

Fun conversation. The corollaries between DT and BK make sense to me because they play the game in a similar way, and because they both have hot partners. BK has been putting lights out the past year or two, the question being can that be sustained. Who knows...who thought Speith would lose his edge around the greens (well and maybe tee to green as well) as quickly as he has. Golf is a hard game, and very difficult to sustain brilliance over many years. That's why Tiger and Jack have the records, they figured out how to sustain a level of play over a long period of time. Who knows if or when we will ever see that again. Could BK (my choice) or DJ figure it out--absolutely. But it is also much tougher than it used to be (especially against the Nicklaus era) as the tour is more global, with tougher competitors day in and day out..and much more 'in your face' media coverage as well. BK is now the 'star' of the tour...let's see how long it lasts.

> @chigolfer1 said:

> > @ctsgolf said:

> > DJ has earned a lifetime exemption on Tour, so he has that going for him.

>

> What does this mean or am I missing the joke?

He essentially has a life-time tour card. I can't imagine DJs game devolving to where he would actually lose his card, but he can basically play on tour as long as he wants

> @Krt22 said:

> > @chigolfer1 said:

> > > @ctsgolf said:

> > > DJ has earned a lifetime exemption on Tour, so he has that going for him.

> >

> > What does this mean or am I missing the joke?

>

> He essentially has a life-time tour card. I can't imagine DJs game devolving to where he would actually lose his card, but he can basically play on tour as long as he wants

umm, ok. You could say that about almost any top 25 golfer.

> @chigolfer1 said:

> > @Krt22 said:

> > > @chigolfer1 said:

> > > > @ctsgolf said:

> > > > DJ has earned a lifetime exemption on Tour, so he has that going for him.

> > >

> > > What does this mean or am I missing the joke?

> >

> > He essentially has a life-time tour card. I can't imagine DJs game devolving to where he would actually lose his card, but he can basically play on tour as long as he wants

>

> umm, ok. You could say that about almost any top 25 golfer.

In reality yes, they will for the most part always be exempt since they typically will earn enough points/wins to continuously keep their card. But to get a lifetime exemption you need 15 years on tour and 20 or more wins.

> @Krt22 said:

> > @chigolfer1 said:

> > > @Krt22 said:

> > > > @chigolfer1 said:

> > > > > @ctsgolf said:

> > > > > DJ has earned a lifetime exemption on Tour, so he has that going for him.

> > > >

> > > > What does this mean or am I missing the joke?

> > >

> > > He essentially has a life-time tour card. I can't imagine DJs game devolving to where he would actually lose his card, but he can basically play on tour as long as he wants

> >

> > umm, ok. You could say that about almost any top 25 golfer.

>

> In reality yes, they will for the most part always be exempt since they typically will earn enough points/wins to continuously keep their card. But to get a lifetime exemption you need 15 years on tour and 20 or more wins.

Wait, so there is a literal lifetime exemption? That's what I was asking.

> @chigolfer1 said:

> > @Krt22 said:

> > > @chigolfer1 said:

> > > > @Krt22 said:

> > > > > @chigolfer1 said:

> > > > > > @ctsgolf said:

> > > > > > DJ has earned a lifetime exemption on Tour, so he has that going for him.

> > > > >

> > > > > What does this mean or am I missing the joke?

> > > >

> > > > He essentially has a life-time tour card. I can't imagine DJs game devolving to where he would actually lose his card, but he can basically play on tour as long as he wants

> > >

> > > umm, ok. You could say that about almost any top 25 golfer.

> >

> > In reality yes, they will for the most part always be exempt since they typically will earn enough points/wins to continuously keep their card. But to get a lifetime exemption you need 15 years on tour and 20 or more wins.

>

> Wait, so there is a literal lifetime exemption? That's what I was asking.

Yes, it's rank is above that of the top 125 from the previous year.

18. Life Members (who have been active members of the PGA TOUR for 15 years and have won at least 20 co-sponsored events).

Love III, Davis

Singh, Vijay

20. Top 125 on the previous season’s FedExCup points list.

https://www.pgatour.com/news/2018/priority-ranking-2018-19-season.html

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

> @JohnnyCashForever said:

> > @"CAT GOLFER" said:

> > More likely they are both footnotes of an era where several players took turns being pretty darn good for different reasons.

>

> Maybe so, but don't discount BK's accomplishment to-date. At 4 major victories, he's already tied for 20th all-time.

>

> If 6 years from first-to-last major is a typical time frame for major champions, then he probably has 4 more years of really good golf left in him to get more majors. If he's more like Nicklaus or Tiger in terms of longevity, then he's got 20 more years of golf where he is likely to be competitive. The point is this: BK is top 20 now, but he has a good chance to be a top 10 all-time major winner when all is said and done.

I have this conversation often with folks at the water cooler, I don’t think any modern player will have the desire to stick around as long as Tiger/Jack has. So much money in play now, and with social media smarter golfers can capitalize on many revenue streams, I just don’t see longer term any of these guys with the drive to keep digging. But I keep watching hoping to be amazed, and usually am.

It’s hard too,to take accomplishments at face value because they all flip flop eventually. But yes, credit due is credit due what BK has done is great.

Current ranking, clearly he has surpassed DJ. He's also still on the uptick of his career. Seems like top golfers now has hot streaks for a couple years at number 1. None of them dominate for as long as Tiger did. Will DJ bounce back? Not many have bounced back strong after their hot streak ended. They remain really good players just not domination. So now we have JT, DJ, Rory, Rose, used to be YJS, guys who used to be number 1 and hot and now just living in the top 10.

I really do want to see DJ come back strong though. Him and Brooks going head to head is fun stuff.

Callaway Paradym TD 10* Ventus Red TR 5S

Titleist TSR3 13.5* 3 Wood Tour AD-IZ 6S

Titleist TSR3 19* hybrid Modus GOST S

Titleist TSR2 24* hybrid Modus GOST S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 27* Ventus non Velocore S

Titleist T100 2023 6-PW KBS Tour V S

Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron X7.5 CS

> @Golfjack said:

> Current ranking, clearly he has surpassed DJ. He's also still on the uptick of his career. Seems like top golfers now has hot streaks for a couple years at number 1. None of them dominate for as long as Tiger did. **Will DJ bounce back? Not many have bounced back strong after their hot streak ended. **

>

Have you actually looked at DJ's numbers the last 3-4 years? Or even just in calendar 2019? 2 wins, 2 2nds, 8 top 10''s in 17 starts. When did DJ's hot streak end?

> @grm24 said:

> > @Golfjack said:

> > Current ranking, clearly he has surpassed DJ. He's also still on the uptick of his career. Seems like top golfers now has hot streaks for a couple years at number 1. None of them dominate for as long as Tiger did. **Will DJ bounce back? Not many have bounced back strong after their hot streak ended. **

> >

> Have you actually looked at DJ's numbers the last 3-4 years? Or even just in calendar 2019? 2 wins, 2 2nds, 8 top 10''s in 17 starts. When did DJ's hot streak end?

>

I'm not saying he sucks, he just isn't the de facto favorite when he tees it up now. DJ is an excellent golfer, and winning 1 a year is like his baseline. When he was hot he had 4 wins. That was his peak in 2017. 2016, 17, 18 he all had at least 3 wins. These guys are just playing for the pinnacle, and he's no longer there. Just slightly below, but Koepka has won 3 times this year and has a greater than 3 point lead in OWGR over DJ.

For DJ, when he's on his hot streak, he is world number 1, and there's no doubt about it. If fact DJ has a more consistently better game than Brooks. He just hasn't been winning the majors, and wins do matter.

Callaway Paradym TD 10* Ventus Red TR 5S

Titleist TSR3 13.5* 3 Wood Tour AD-IZ 6S

Titleist TSR3 19* hybrid Modus GOST S

Titleist TSR2 24* hybrid Modus GOST S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 27* Ventus non Velocore S

Titleist T100 2023 6-PW KBS Tour V S

Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron X7.5 CS

I suspect we will see a balancing of the universe coming up when it comes to DJ and Bruce. One isn’t going to continue to win every major , cause nobody including tiger ever has ..... and DJ will grow tired of being second fiddle. Should make a nice battle going forward.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @imakaveli said:

> Currently Koepka is 4x better than DJ.

Personally I'd go with Koepka too but the "4x better" is flawed logic.

[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

> @chigolfer1 said:

> > @Krt22 said:

> > > @chigolfer1 said:

> > > > @Krt22 said:

> > > > > @chigolfer1 said:

> > > > > > @ctsgolf said:

> > > > > > DJ has earned a lifetime exemption on Tour, so he has that going for him.

> > > > >

> > > > > What does this mean or am I missing the joke?

> > > >

> > > > He essentially has a life-time tour card. I can't imagine DJs game devolving to where he would actually lose his card, but he can basically play on tour as long as he wants

> > >

> > > umm, ok. You could say that about almost any top 25 golfer.

> >

> > In reality yes, they will for the most part always be exempt since they typically will earn enough points/wins to continuously keep their card. But to get a lifetime exemption you need 15 years on tour and 20 or more wins.

>

> Wait, so there is a literal lifetime exemption? That's what I was asking.

So I should make a correction; DJ hasn't earned his lifetime exemption yet. He has 20 wins, but needs 2 or 3 more years on Tour to officially earn it (20 wins and 15 years on Tour earns lifetime exemption). This will put DJ in the ring with guys like Tiger, Phil, Vijay, Davis Love III, Jack, Tom Watson, Lee Trevino, Johnny Miller, Gary Player, Raymond Floyd, Lanny Wadkins, Greg Norman. Ernie Els needs one more win and Jim Furyk needs three to earn it.

So IMO, no, Brooks Koepka has not surpassed DJ and isn't even close. He's just playing better golf when it counts right now (i.e. Majors).

Taylormade M1 9.5°  |  Speeder 661

Ping G 14.5°  |  Aldila NV 75

Titleist T-MB 21°  |  S400

PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW  |  Elevate Tour X100

Callaway MD Forged  |  Recoil 125

Taylormade  |  Spider Tour Black

> @MMB1500 said:

> > @KRAMER1997 said:

> > > @DatSliceDoe said:

> > > I believe that Koepka could be the best millennial player and easily surpass Tiger and Jack's major record, if he cared. But, he doesn't.

> >

> > I think this "don't care" attitude is helping him. Look at Spieth, he overanalyzes like crazy and hasn't won in over 2 years, while Koepka just plays golf. If anything I think his attitude is an advantage.

>

> McIlroy as well. He cares way, way too much. If he gave as few fu$*s as Koepka he'd probably have the grand slam by now.

McIlroy I believe to be a people pleaser, Koepka I believe to be the opposite. Koepka's personally seems to be way better for golf. If Rory can just stop caring about others he can maximise himself as a player like Koepka does.

> @HonestPlayer said:

> > @MMB1500 said:

> > > @KRAMER1997 said:

> > > > @DatSliceDoe said:

> > > > I believe that Koepka could be the best millennial player and easily surpass Tiger and Jack's major record, if he cared. But, he doesn't.

> > >

> > > I think this "don't care" attitude is helping him. Look at Spieth, he overanalyzes like crazy and hasn't won in over 2 years, while Koepka just plays golf. If anything I think his attitude is an advantage.

> >

> > McIlroy as well. He cares way, way too much. If he gave as few fu$*s as Koepka he'd probably have the grand slam by now.

>

> McIlroy I believe to be a people pleaser, Koepka I believe to be the opposite. Koepka's personally seems to be way better for golf. If Rory can just stop caring about others he can maximise himself as a player like Koepka does.

I think Bruce has the right mindset and that is what separates him right now. It seems the rest of the field all has an expectation by the media/fans/themselves. Rory should have the grand slam, what happened to YJS? Is Rickie over-rated? Is Tiger going to surpass Jack? DJ would have 5 majors if he didn't choke. You can go on and on. Fleetwood is going to break through! It's only a matter of time before Rahm puts it together.

Going into all the majors this year, Bruce was mad he was left out but I think it helped. It mitigated the stress of the majors. He still somehow flew semi-under the radar from the other big names and avoided the expectations. I will be interested if he can keep that same mindset next year as he proved this year that he is not to be undervalued. If he doesn't place in the top 10 in majors and the media gets on him...we'll see how he handles it. He has shown that he hears and listens to what everyone is saying about him.