2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Should Cameron Champ get away from Sean Foley?

LICC

> @Ferguson said:

> > @QuigleyDU said:

> > I don't know as I am not super familiar with what Foley teach's, but I feel do feel he gets a bad rap that may be undeserved.

>

> I think the bad rap comes from a caustic blend of off-the-shelf golf clothes mixed with high fashion glasses, an individualistic coiffure and that certain polarizing aura of neoteric swagger.

Lots of big words there pilgram. We be but simple folk round here...

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

> @lowheel said:

> > @Redjeep83 said:

> > the bad wrap with Foley was him "telling" Tiger how to swing the golf club. Tiger should of been telling him how to and Foley being a second pair of eyes.

>

> its was way more than that. he told him to crowd the ball and get flatter to eliminate the left miss. it wrecked every part of his game. guys a snake oil salesman. ive seen him talk up close lots of 5$ words with no substance

yea, I know he's like that and that's what I was saying, he "told" him how to swing which was the method he was into at the time.

> @lowheel said:

> > @Redjeep83 said:

> > the bad wrap with Foley was him "telling" Tiger how to swing the golf club. Tiger should of been telling him how to and Foley being a second pair of eyes.

>

> its was way more than that. **he told him to crowd the ball and get flatter** to eliminate the left miss. it wrecked every part of his game. guys a snake oil salesman. ive seen him talk up close lots of 5$ words with no substance

Wait, is that part documented somewhere because I laughed out loud when I read it.

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

You can see under Foley (first video) Tiger's swing was a more narrow stance and less weight transfer to his rear foot in the backswing. It's more of a centered, stack n tilt type swing. I think this creates too much vertical body movement and doesn't give Tiger room to clear.

[https://youtube.com/watch?v=ffANaGphsh0](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffANaGphsh0 "https://youtube.com/watch?v=ffANaGphsh0")

See below the difference in his 2001 swing. He moves more laterally and freely and has a noticeably wider stance. His swing today is more like this than it was under Foldme. Notice the left foot almost flat at the finish.

[https://youtube.com/watch?v=z7Zxn24P35M](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7Zxn24P35M "https://youtube.com/watch?v=z7Zxn24P35M")

^Also is that Brandle Chamblee watching Tiger? LOL

> @LICC said:

> > @Titleist99 said:

> > I seem to remember when this young kid came on tour (around 1997) knocking it past everyone but constantly air mailing the greens with his wedges and hitting it pin high only forty feet from the hole. The announcer at the time kept saying "man this kid's going to be a great player once he develop an arm swing with his wedges.....every tournament the announcer would say the same thing until that kid shortly developed that swing....That announcer was Ken Verturi and that kid was Tiger Woods.

>

> In Tiger's first seven tournaments as a professional in 1996, he finished top-11 in six of them, top-5 in five, top-3 in four, and finished 1st twice. In his first three tournaments in 1997, he finished 1st in one and 2nd in another. That is not really a good comparison to Cameron Champ.

How did I know that this board would think that I was comparing Champ to Woods!?! (rhetorical). LOL! ….. My only point is that he needs to develop an arm swing, maybe find him a short game coach. Jack and Tiger are in a class by themselves. Sorry for not being totally clear.

Not going to comment on Foley as a coach, but I think Champ should seek out an older coach, someone who is less obsessed with Trackman and someone who can teach him shots. Regardless, I think it’s time for a change. Even when Champ won, there were major holes in his game and he simply lacks the ability to hit certain shots. It’s all massive shaft lean and steep cuts.

I’m often an advocate of not making huge changes during a slump, but in Cameron’s case, I think a new set of reliable eyes would be hugely beneficial.

• Like 1

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: Taylormade Stealth Plus 3 Wood HZRDUS Smoke Green 70X D6

Hybrid: Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 19.5 Tensei AV White 85 X D6

Irons: Sub70 659 MB 5-GW DG 105 X (Takomo 201's w/ occasional cameos)

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

> @LICC said:Is Sean Foley ruining this kid?

Probably yes, Foley is hurting Cameron Champ.

The best instructors keep things simple, such as teaching grip, posture and alignment. Butch Harmon's great success with Tour players is mostly do to him teaching the good sense time tested fundamentals, which he learned from his father. Jack Nicklaus instructor Jack Grout was the same way.

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

> @PowderedToastMan said:

> Not going to comment on Foley as a coach, but I think Champ should seek out an older coach, someone who is less obsessed with Trackman and someone who can teach him shots. Regardless, I think it’s time for a change. Even when Champ won, there were major holes in his game and he simply lacks the ability to hit certain shots. It’s all massive shaft lean and steep cuts.

>

> I’m often an advocate of not making huge changes during a slump, but in Cameron’s case, I think a new set of reliable eyes would be hugely beneficial.

Cam’s new coach. Need I say more?

• Like 1

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

> @ebrasmus21 said:

> > @PowderedToastMan said:

> > Not going to comment on Foley as a coach, but I think Champ should seek out an older coach, someone who is less obsessed with Trackman and someone who can teach him shots. Regardless, I think it’s time for a change. Even when Champ won, there were major holes in his game and he simply lacks the ability to hit certain shots. It’s all massive shaft lean and steep cuts.

> >

> > I’m often an advocate of not making huge changes during a slump, but in Cameron’s case, I think a new set of reliable eyes would be hugely beneficial.

>

> Cam’s new coach. Need I say more?

>

>

that would be ironic as his star pupil has also fallen off considerably. dont 'see any should ZJ dump bender' threads though heh

> @QuigleyDU said:

> > @Ferguson said:

> > > @QuigleyDU said:

> > > I don't know as I am not super familiar with what Foley teach's, but I feel do feel he gets a bad rap that may be undeserved.

> >

> > I think the bad rap comes from a caustic blend of off-the-shelf golf clothes mixed with high fashion glasses, an individualistic coiffure and that certain polarizing aura of neoteric swagger.

>

> Lots of big words there pilgram. We be but simple folk round here...

LOL - when you start as a penal colony. ;-)

• Like 1

> @LICC said:

> > @Titleist99 said:

> > I seem to remember when this young kid came on tour (around 1997) knocking it past everyone but constantly air mailing the greens with his wedges and hitting it pin high only forty feet from the hole. The announcer at the time kept saying "man this kid's going to be a great player once he develop an arm swing with his wedges.....every tournament the announcer would say the same thing until that kid shortly developed that swing....That announcer was Ken Verturi and that kid was Tiger Woods.

>

> In Tiger's first seven tournaments as a professional in 1996, he finished top-11 in six of them, top-5 in five, top-3 in four, and finished 1st twice. In his first three tournaments in 1997, he finished 1st in one and 2nd in another. That is not really a good comparison to Cameron Champ.

DJ is a much better comparison in first year results.

> @Hawkeye77 said:

> > @QuigleyDU said:

> > > @Ferguson said:

> > > > @QuigleyDU said:

> > > > I don't know as I am not super familiar with what Foley teach's, but I feel do feel he gets a bad rap that may be undeserved.

> > >

> > > I think the bad rap comes from a caustic blend of off-the-shelf golf clothes mixed with high fashion glasses, an individualistic coiffure and that certain polarizing aura of neoteric swagger.

> >

> > Lots of big words there pilgram. We be but simple folk round here...

>

> LOL - when you start as a penal colony. ;-)

haha

BALL; Chrome Soft X

> @QuigleyDU said:

> > @Hawkeye77 said:

> > > @QuigleyDU said:

> > > > @Ferguson said:

> > > > > @QuigleyDU said:

> > > > > I don't know as I am not super familiar with what Foley teach's, but I feel do feel he gets a bad rap that may be undeserved.

> > > >

> > > > I think the bad rap comes from a caustic blend of off-the-shelf golf clothes mixed with high fashion glasses, an individualistic coiffure and that certain polarizing aura of neoteric swagger.

> > >

> > > Lots of big words there pilgram. We be but simple folk round here...

> >

> > LOL - when you start as a penal colony. ;-)

>

> haha

Couldn’t resist!

> @burritos4breakfast said:

> > @ebrasmus21 said:

> > > @PowderedToastMan said:

> > > Not going to comment on Foley as a coach, but I think Champ should seek out an older coach, someone who is less obsessed with Trackman and someone who can teach him shots. Regardless, I think it’s time for a change. Even when Champ won, there were major holes in his game and he simply lacks the ability to hit certain shots. It’s all massive shaft lean and steep cuts.

> > >

> > > I’m often an advocate of not making huge changes during a slump, but in Cameron’s case, I think a new set of reliable eyes would be hugely beneficial.

> >

> > Cam’s new coach. Need I say more?

> >

> >

>

> that would be ironic as his star pupil has also fallen off considerably. dont 'see any should ZJ dump bender' threads though heh

ZJ is 43 years old and doesn't hit the ball very far. I don't think that's a fair comparison to Champ or something to blame on Bender.

• Like 1

> @straightshot7 said:

> > @burritos4breakfast said:

> > > @ebrasmus21 said:

> > > > @PowderedToastMan said:

> > > > Not going to comment on Foley as a coach, but I think Champ should seek out an older coach, someone who is less obsessed with Trackman and someone who can teach him shots. Regardless, I think it’s time for a change. Even when Champ won, there were major holes in his game and he simply lacks the ability to hit certain shots. It’s all massive shaft lean and steep cuts.

> > > >

> > > > I’m often an advocate of not making huge changes during a slump, but in Cameron’s case, I think a new set of reliable eyes would be hugely beneficial.

> > >

> > > Cam’s new coach. Need I say more?

> > >

> > >

> >

> > that would be ironic as his star pupil has also fallen off considerably. dont 'see any should ZJ dump bender' threads though heh

>

> ZJ is 43 years old and doesn't hit the ball very far. I don't think that's a far comparison to Champ or something to blame on Bender.

The best part would be if Bender convinced Champ to wear a straw hat.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

> @ebrasmus21 said:

> > Not going to comment on Foley as a coach, but I think Champ should seek out an older coach, someone who is less obsessed with Trackman and someone who can teach him shots. Regardless, I think it’s time for a change. Even when Champ won, there were major holes in his game and he simply lacks the ability to hit certain shots. It’s all massive shaft lean and steep cuts.

> >

> > I’m often an advocate of not making huge changes during a slump, but in Cameron’s case, I think a new set of reliable eyes would be hugely beneficial.

>

>

>

That would be a huge mistake.

> @Ferguson said:

> > @QuigleyDU said:

> > I don't know as I am not super familiar with what Foley teach's, but I feel do feel he gets a bad rap that may be undeserved.

>

> I think the bad rap comes from a caustic blend of off-the-shelf golf clothes mixed with high fashion glasses, an individualistic coiffure and that certain polarizing aura of neoteric swagger.

Well played sir.

PING
G425 LST 10.5* Alta CB Slate 55S

G430 Max 3W Alta CB Slate 65S

G410 2H, 3H Alta CB Red 70S

Glide 2.0 ES 54,60 AWT wedge S (blackout)

Vault Anser 2 Slate

Callaway 

Apex Pro Combo ‘19 5-A Steelfiber i95S

Titleist

ProV1 (2021) Yellow / White

> @QuigleyDU said:

> > @Ferguson said:

> > > @QuigleyDU said:

> > > I don't know as I am not super familiar with what Foley teach's, but I feel do feel he gets a bad rap that may be undeserved.

> >

> > I think the bad rap comes from a caustic blend of off-the-shelf golf clothes mixed with high fashion glasses, an individualistic coiffure and that certain polarizing aura of neoteric swagger.

>

> Lots of big words there pilgram. We be but simple folk round here...

Methinks I summed it up nicely.

lzvejybgntsu.jpg

• Like 1

> @Ferguson said:

> > @QuigleyDU said:

> > > @Ferguson said:

> > > > @QuigleyDU said:

> > > > I don't know as I am not super familiar with what Foley teach's, but I feel do feel he gets a bad rap that may be undeserved.

> > >

> > > I think the bad rap comes from a caustic blend of off-the-shelf golf clothes mixed with high fashion glasses, an individualistic coiffure and that certain polarizing aura of neoteric swagger.

> >

> > Lots of big words there pilgram. We be but simple folk round here...

>

>

>

> Methinks I summed it up nicely.

>

> lzvejybgntsu.jpg

>

hahaha... true.

BALL; Chrome Soft X

> @buckeyefl said:

> > @ebrasmus21 said:

> > > Not going to comment on Foley as a coach, but I think Champ should seek out an older coach, someone who is less obsessed with Trackman and someone who can teach him shots. Regardless, I think it’s time for a change. Even when Champ won, there were major holes in his game and he simply lacks the ability to hit certain shots. It’s all massive shaft lean and steep cuts.

> > >

> > > I’m often an advocate of not making huge changes during a slump, but in Cameron’s case, I think a new set of reliable eyes would be hugely beneficial.

> >

> >

> >

>

> That would be a huge mistake.

Wisdom:

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

how else would he get his sagital, transverse planes to match up without Foley

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

As an American I don't like Foley because he's from the Pretentious North, but he's gotten Champ this far. Who's to say Champ isn't just a cart barn runt at this point without Foley.

Taylormade Stealth Plus Mitsu Kai'li White 70S
Taylormade SIM2 15  Tour AD DI 8S
Mizuno MP 20 3-PW ProjectX 6.0
Vokey SM7 54S and 60M
Cameron Newport 2 CT
Titleist ProV1x Left dash

> @ebrasmus21 said:

> >

>

>

>

But do you get a free Bender Stick if you sign up w/him?

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

> @"the bishop" said:

> > @ebrasmus21 said:

> > >

> >

> >

> >

>

> But do you get a free Bender Stick if you sign up w/him?

Let’s hope so!!

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

> @ebrasmus21 said:

>

That guy hit a pretty good bunker shot after doing what Bender advocated. Even if it looked pretty weird. I'll give him credit for that. Guessing he was just doing it to emphasize that an arm swing would work, and that body motion wasn't necessary. I've seen other instructors demonstrate similar things, but just without goofy after loops.

BTW: speaking of people leaving Foley. With the way Rose has been with his ball striking lately maybe it's time for him to move on as well, but that is a topic for another thread.

Spoiler

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 9* 

Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 16* Tensei blue

Mizuno Pro 225 4i-GW Nippon Modus 3 105 irons

Callaway Jaws Raw Full Toe 54* & 58* Nippon Modus 3 105 wedges

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 6STR putter

> @BottleCap said:

> As an American I don't like Foley because he's from the Pretentious North, but he's gotten Champ this far. Who's to say Champ isn't just a cart barn runt at this point without Foley.

Well, you are officially the first person in the world to refer to Canada as the “pretentious north”.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: Taylormade Stealth Plus 3 Wood HZRDUS Smoke Green 70X D6

Hybrid: Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 19.5 Tensei AV White 85 X D6

Irons: Sub70 659 MB 5-GW DG 105 X (Takomo 201's w/ occasional cameos)

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip