Any info on the Scotty Cameron Select 2020 line?

agood3putt

I was just playing with the configurator and noticed that the modified cherry bombs are now known as Cavity Dots. Who knew? And changing the paint is a reasonable $72. Nothing fancy here, just changed the crown and family logos to red, the cavity dots to black, the Cameron logos to white and no stamps or initials.

QGZDFC878WI8.jpg

+1 for using Tamiya paint. Readily available on Amazon in a variety of colors. There are countless how to YouTube videos. It's actually not as hard as one might think.

Regarding longevity, I have a 2018 NP 2.5 that has seen well over 150 rounds and the paint has held up great.

I can post pics of my 2018 and 2020 versions if anyone is interested.

Got to check these out in person last night at GT, they are quite nice. Face logo is much less intrusive than originally thought, look top notch quality wise in hand. 529.99 up here though.

TM SIM Max 9*  Tensei blue AV 65-S

Mizuno ST180 3w 15* Tensei blue-S

Cobra BioCell 5w 19* Matrix RedTie-S

Ping G30 4h 22* TFC 419-R

Taylormade R-11 5-PW KBS Tour 90-S

Cleveland CBX 52* 58* DG 115-W

Mannkrafted rebar Rattler 

I like the smoke color well done.

Though much is taken much abides;
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
- Lord Tennyson

definitely a firmer feel, from what I’m told by TCC guys it’s what the guys on tour like. Scotty dumped the deep milled faces due to lack of interest in tour and those were the softest. This OTR offering actually a little softer than the current 009M, so I guess it’s just a personal preference thing. I’m with you, I liked the softer feel of the ‘09 line for example. This one is nice and I deliberately got the Squareback so as not to compete with my other blades. Looks wise this release nailed it, feel wise it’s just a sign of the times I guess. It is definitely close to what is on tour if that matters to people.

You NAILED IT, fella. The looks are fine; even good. But, these new Scottys just simply do not compare to the feel of an old Oil Can, TEI3, PP or SS putters of the same headshape. I still remember rolling my old Scotty for the first time and literally feeling the ball snug the face. Sure balls were softer, but, it wasn’t only that.

Sign of the times is spot on...these things are just flown off a printing press and away they go. Are they bad? Absolutely not. Do they feel like vintage Scottys. Not in my hands. Scotty just got too big. Can’t blame them at all. The demand is there. Anyone would do it. But, they don’t feel “special” anymore.

Smartest thing I’ve done in 5 years was buying a Byron Morgan that was literally hand shaped for me...and, it cost me a fraction more than these Scottys.

• Like 1

Also like the firmer feel of these compared to last release so plan to get a Newport and sell my 18 squareback which I honestly never liked much. Would love black finish so if they come out with that down the road would buy it.

Titleist TSR3 8 deg - Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6X

Titleist TSi3 15 deg - Fujikura Ventus Black 8X

Titleist TSR3 19 deg - Fujikura Ventus Black HB 9TX

Titleist T200 4 - TT DG TI X100

Titleist T100 (2019) 5-PW - TT DG TI X100

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 50.12 F - TT DG TI X100

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 54.14 F - TT DG TI S400

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 58.08 M - TT DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Titleist ProV1

A lot of people automatically equate soft with good feel, but that is not the case for everyone. I still love the old oil cans but recently picked one up again and they are too soft for my liking, just like the deep milled or insert Scotty's which were also too soft for me. I like a little firmer or clickier feel, I think it gives me a lot better feedback. But this is just my opinion and not everyone will agree. Feel is extremely subjective.

Agreed. I tried like hell to get my hands on a T22, and when I finally did it felt like an odyssey white hot to me.

Of course the T22 is awesome, and people love white hots...I just don’t like something that soft. I feel like my distance control is much worse with a soft putter for some reason. I’m sure it’s mental, but isn’t 90% or the game half mental anyways...

I have a hard time taking complaints about how the Special Select Newports feel seriously. I totally get it if you prefer the look of an older model, but the feel of this series is really, really good.

The Special Selects also seem a lot more stable to me than some of the old favorites. I think the heavy tungsten weights really did help broaden the sweet spot by pushing the weighting out wider. I think history will be kind to this series even if it isn’t widely accepted right now.

• Like 1

I played the original milled face Studio NP2 for years. I bought a Special. It took some tweaking to consistently get the buttery impact. The 30 weights threw me off a bit. I had 15’s in my Studio. The balance feels different in spite the total head weight the same. I tried 15’s in the SS. I have some 20 weights on the way. We’ll see how that feels & sounds.

MattUtah.... as I said, I COMPLETELY understand how people might like the feel of this series. I just don't. The thing that is great about GOLFWRX is people can offer THEIR experience. I will never say MY experience is the gospel. But, to say you have trouble taking complaints seriously (it's not a complaint so much as feedback) sort of defeats the purpose of the sight and the welcoming of opinions, doesn't it? Personally, I love when I read a thread and different people sound off on THEIR experience with a club. Also, if you read my post, I think I said it looks nice. And, if I didn't, I'll say it here - it does!

It's a beautiful putter and a step in the right direction. I just don't get that melty feel that I grew up with Scotty's. It's a fine putter, but, byb my hands, it doesn't feel super soft. And, to that point, some great posts above say it's NOT SUPPOSED to feel soft per tour feedback.

Thanks, brother! I REALLLLLLLY try to stay positive on this site....I'll never hammer on a club or brand or say something is "trash." But, to that same end, I think it's important to be able to say "I didn't love it...." Funny because I was JACKED when I saw photos of this line... just tried to be honest with myself and the WRX community that I was underwhelmed.

Appreciate the comment, fella.

I'm with you - I rolled both the NP2 and Del Mar LH versions and they felt hard to me. I'm not a fan of super deep face milling either, those feel too mushy to me. I prefer a nice little click at impact - my favorite putter ever for feel is a SS Byron Morgan 006 with very understated face milling and a sound slot. The sound slot should make it feel firm, but it doesn't. That thing feels perfect. In the SC realm, I much preferred the Studio Stainless and Cali Del Mar (the second one, not the honey-dipped ones) to the Special Selects.

Titleist TSR2 11*, Oban Devotion 6S

Titleist TSR2 16.5*, GD Tour AD BB 7S

Titleist TSR2 21*, Fujikura Speeder Pro TS 84

Titleist TS2 25*, GD Tour AD HY 95S
Titleist T100S, 6-GW, Recoil 110 F4

Miura 52.06, 56.10, 60.09, Recoil Proto 125 F4

Ping PLD Custom Anser 4, 34"/355g

Byron Morgans are unbelievable for sure.... in fact, that's what old Scotty's used to feel like TO ME. I remember in the 90s....during a high school golf practice, holding up my Scotty to my buddies....same exact head, year and model and noticing that the mill marks were different on each one ever so slightly. Pretty cool. Since then, my Byron Morgan is the only thing that I can say felt that unique to me.