2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

MEMBER REVIEWS: L.A.B. Golf Putters! Read What Members Are Saying Now!

knudson81

I bought and just received a DF 2.1 putter. I've always preferred a mallet style and center shaft has been best. My usual miss is left and a result of a poor stroke that for some reason I just can't seem to fix. My stroke gets left pretty quick on impact, regardless of the putter I try. Over the years I have been the Mick Jagger of putts, all lips. None of which ever seem to to drop. It is a joke among my regular playing partners. I have over 40 putters in my "putter closet".

So far I've only had the opportunity to roll this one on my rec room floor, which rolls like a good quality green. It only took about five or six putts to figure out a ball position that has eliminated the left miss. For the first time I'm actually optimistic that this putter may be a cure for constant lip outs. Very anxious to get it on the course.

Edited by sunbeltgolfer

Anyone upgrade from the Mezz 1 to the Mezz Max? Was it worth the switch? Notice a lot more stability or forgiveness?

Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Blue TR 6X 45.25"
Callaway Paradym 15* HZRDUS Black Gen 4 70g 6.0

Callaway Apex UW 19* HZRDUS Black Gen 4 70g 6.0

Srixon ZX7 4-PW Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120S
Titleist Vokey SM9 50*08* F / 54*12*D/ 58*12*D
LAB DF3 34*/69* 

For anyone that uses Facebook there is a really great and active group for Lab fans.

I have been using a link for about 5 rounds now and i am still in testing period trying to find what i like, Below is what i have gone through if anyone is interested -

Different phases of my link...

Accra White shaft with a Garsen quad grip - Did NOT like this grip at all and I changed it out.

Changed Garsen grip for a press 1.5 just to try it out since I saw others in the FB group doing the same. - Feels really good and rolls well, I had some issues with alignment which led me to try a pistol grip.

Changed the press grip out for a Superstroke Pistol 1.0 - I have yet to play with this but i really really like it so far.

All things above stated, I absolutely love my link. I can roll the ball so well no matter what grip and I am hitting my line more and making more putts but more importantly I feel confident and I am starting to see progress. I also practice a bunch at home.

Some tips that helped me -

For Mezz and DF the ball should be further forward than you would think, Check you tube Lab has a good video on this. For the link i am using a "regular" ball position.

Light grip and pendulum swing is what is working for me and feels so right.

I put a solid black line around my ball and line that up and trust it when i step up to putt.

I recommend the lab putters, any of em they really do work if you take a little time to "untorque" yourself lol

• Like 3

Dipped my toes in the LAB world last year buying a B.2 of the BST last year. Had the best putting year of my life, but like the classic WRXer I am, I sent it back in to LAB to have reshafted with a stability tour I had lying around. Thought I could make a good thing great, but instead when it came back it felt super heavy. I then regripped it with a heavier grip to get the swingweight lighter. It still just felt off and I lost confidence in it. So I decided that’d be a great excuse to try the DF2.1. So far so good and that thing is automatic from 5 feet and in. The only issues I have with it is it sounds sort of tingy, and my lag putts either just make it to the hole or come up short. I know you’re supposed to take a longer stroke and let gravity do the work but I can’t seem to let myself do that. If anyone has any tips on how they were able to do that it’d be much appreciated

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CBraynor said:

Dipped my toes in the LAB world last year buying a B.2 of the BST last year. Had the best putting year of my life, but like the classic WRXer I am, I sent it back in to LAB to have reshafted with a stability tour I had lying around. Thought I could make a good thing great, but instead when it came back it felt super heavy. I then regripped it with a heavier grip to get the swingweight lighter. It still just felt off and I lost confidence in it. So I decided that’d be a great excuse to try the DF2.1. So far so good and that thing is automatic from 5 feet and in. The only issues I have with it is it sounds sort of tingy, and my lag putts either just make it to the hole or come up short. I know you’re supposed to take a longer stroke and let gravity do the work but I can’t seem to let myself do that. If anyone has any tips on how they were able to do that it’d be much appreciated

Get the old shaft and grip back on the B2 and call it a day. 

• Like 2

Fellow club junkies, I wanted to leave my review/comparison as an owner of the DF, Mezz1, and now Link in case it helps anyone else make a decision. 

For background, I am a scratch golfer and have dabbled a bit with a DF and mezz1 although never fully committed to them for more than a month or 2. I happened to be in my local PGA superstore and there was a pre owned Link traded in that morning (my exact specs - 34 inches, 70 degree lie angle from my remote fitting). Rolled a few on the putting green and was blown away by it. I didn’t purchase it but thought about it all night and went back the next day to trade in a Scotty for it. I took it to my course and again I would say I have never hit lines with this much frequency, point and shoot. Our greens are some of the best in the northeast and are super quick, generally average 13+ on the stimp. I certainly understand and saw that the Link is not as forgiving but as someone who plays quick greens, the DF was always difficult to try and tap a downhill breaker (check 1 for the Link). The mezz was also great but I did struggle with the shaft behind the head a few times, more noticeable on big slopes and I felt sometimes I had to readdress the ball to make it look or sit right (check 2 for the Link). The clean look of the link gives me the confidence to hit some of those faster or downhill putts with a bit more confidence as I don’t feel like I need to ease off the gas. I also found that I could feel the weight of the head a bit more and saw my lag putting actually improve vs the other 2. I have a left hand low putting grip and the Link feels like it reacts or sits better with that grip as well (this may just be me).

needless to say, the Link is fully in the bag. I think all 3 (DF, Mezz, Link) are great putters and you can’t go wrong but the performance I saw with the Link made it so much fun to play  a blade again (thank you to whomever traded in a Link at the Tarrytown PGA SS - it found a good home).

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Minarets said:

Had an ah ha moment today with the DF2.1. Been hearing about the “thumbs off thing but couldn’t make that work on several different practice sessions.  Finally tried barely resting the thumbs on the damn thing and it was like magic today.  

Nice!

It took me a minute to understand this as well, but it proved so good towards the end of last season I’ve taken it to the course, hopefully permanently. 

• Like 2

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

Uh oh. I messed up and went to PGA SS and rolled a regular length DF 2.1. Wow. You know I love my DF 2.1 Broomstick, but the regular seem to flow in my stroke a little better.. maybe. Dang it. 

• Like 1

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

Not sure if this will help anyone else but my one issue with the DF 2.1 is the grip.  I’ve never been a fan of larger grips and with the OG grip discontinued I had to go with the Press No. II 3*.  The larger grip is the only part of this putter I feel like is giving me trouble.

I’ve been messing around with different ways to grip the club and I’ve landed on having both my index fingers extended down either side which I think is how Koepka putts.  I’ve never liked gripping it this way on my normal Lamkin Deep Etched but so far it feels great on the larger Press grip.  If anyone else is not getting along with the larger grip maybe trying this can help you too.

Waiting on my Mezz Max to be delivered. Excited to see how it performs and give my 2 cents.

• Like 1

Driver: Cobra DarkSpeed LS 10.5° - Tensei AV White 65x
3W: TaylorMade Qi10 15° - Kai'li White 70x
5W: TaylorMade Qi10 18° - Kai'li White 70x
Irons: Cobra King Tour 4-5 Cobra King CB 6-GW - Modus 120x
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 6 TourRack 54 mid & 58 low - Modus 125 Wedge Shaft
Putter: L.A.B Mezz.1 Max w Accra shaft

Ball: Srixon Z-Star XV

@Haber you wouldn't happen to have the measurements at hand for the cover. Looking to order from delilah as no one seems to be able to make me one in the uk.

Covers look great 👍

Driver: Taylormade Sim Max 10.5*, UST Attas Prototype DK 7x 44.5"

5wood: Ping G400 16.5*, Ping Tour 7x 42"

2iron: Srixon ZX 18* , Aerotech steelfiber i95s, 1* Flat standard Length.

3hybrid: Ping G410 20* Flat, Fujikura 2.0 8x

4&5irons: Ping i200 , Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw S. 1* Flat

6-pw: Ping i Blade , Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw S. 1* Flat

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 52* & 58* , Aerotech Steelfiber i95s. 1*Flat

Putter: Nike Method 001 "Oven" flowneck.

Grips: Lamkin UTX 

Ball: Vice Pro Plus (white & Neon yellow)

24 minutes ago, Haber said:

Just checked the order sheet. It was 4 7/8 inches long and 4 7/8 inches wide.

Thanks very much

Driver: Taylormade Sim Max 10.5*, UST Attas Prototype DK 7x 44.5"

5wood: Ping G400 16.5*, Ping Tour 7x 42"

2iron: Srixon ZX 18* , Aerotech steelfiber i95s, 1* Flat standard Length.

3hybrid: Ping G410 20* Flat, Fujikura 2.0 8x

4&5irons: Ping i200 , Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw S. 1* Flat

6-pw: Ping i Blade , Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw S. 1* Flat

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 52* & 58* , Aerotech Steelfiber i95s. 1*Flat

Putter: Nike Method 001 "Oven" flowneck.

Grips: Lamkin UTX 

Ball: Vice Pro Plus (white & Neon yellow)

Question for the Armlock users:

I've always liked the stability associated with armlock, but as a left-eye dominant player I struggled with the ball back + shaft lean combo most armlocks seem to encourage. 

Is my thinking correct that if I play the ball quite a bit forward anyway, I should go for as little shaft lean as possible for an armlock?

5 hours ago, Golfingfanatic said:

I've always liked the stability associated with armlock, but as a left-eye dominant player I struggled with the ball back + shaft lean combo most armlocks seem to encourage. 

Is my thinking correct that if I play the ball quite a bit forward anyway, I should go for as little shaft lean as possible for an armlock?

I don't know for certain, but this is my experience:  I got fit for 6° for a DF 2.1, and 5.5° for Mezz.1 Max.  I bought the DF.  I play it with the ball a couple inches forward in my stance, even with 6° loft.  I found that if I put the point where the shaft enters the club head in the center of my stance, which puts the ball a couple of inches forward, I get the best roll and starting line.  I feel like I was fit correctly for shaft lean, as this setup works.  Let the guys at LAB fit you.  

• Like 2

I ordered a DF 2.1 and was fitted for 35" 69*.  It is slated to arrive today but yesterday I was talking with a friend and he had one with those specs in his locker and gave it to me.  So tonight i'll have 2 putters.  (both have the press II grip, black). 

I'm putting it in play in a competitive round this afternoon.  On the putting green it was workin fantastically well.  I'm excited to see how it performs under pressure.  The thumbs off drill may even make its way to the course.  I've been putting horribly to say the least.  In fact, the only reason I haven't been playing my best golf ever (at least since college) is putting.  On the practice green I was holing or burning the edge on every putt I hit pretty much.  Distance control was fantastic right away. Practiced with it for 2 hours, it was really enjoyable.  I wish I had pulled the trigger a lot sooner on these.  Anyway, we'll see how it goes but i'm sold and committed regardless.  

A lot of people at my home course have the DF and a few have the link or mezz.  When I saw other people using them I thought they looked huge.  Putting with it it doesn't seem much bigger than a futura to me and doesn't take up as much bag space as I thought.  

• Like 3

TSi3 10 @ 10.75 Ventus Black 6x 45"

TM BRNR 13.5* hzrdus gen4 black 6.5 70g 43.75"

TS3 18* Hzrdus smoke black RDX  80g 6.5 41.5"

New Level NLU-01 22* and 25* Hzrdus smoke black rdx 100g 6.5
New Level 902-OS 6-P (KBS tour 130x) -1* weak on each

Vokey sm8 50@49/12 KBS $ taper HT 130, Sm9 54@53/10S,

58/4T KBS $ taper HT 125 or 58/8m DGx100 mid TI
L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1 35"/ 69* Press II

7 hours ago, Golfingfanatic said:

100% agree with the posts above. Do the online fit and ask any questions via email.  I had tried armlocking twice and hated once with an odyssey and once with a bettinardi. Offset was bonkers, length felt off, had to setup WAY open. Ended getting fit and bought a used DF 2.1 in my specs.  I have never felt so comfortable over the ball.  The key was getting an upright lie angle. 

• Like 1

PING G430 MAX 10K DRIVER w/ACCRA TZX 255

PING G430 MAX 3W w/ACCRA FX 2.0 200F

PING G425 MAX 7W w/ACCRA FX 2.0 200F

PING G425 5H w/ACCRA FX 2.0 200H

PING G425 6H w/ACCRA FX 2.0 200H

PING G425 6-SW w/ACCRA ICWT 95

PING GLIDE 4.0 60-10S w/ACCRA 105i

LAB LINK.1 w/LAB x ACCRA or

PING ZING 2 PLD CUSTOM (Just in case) 

I've been in a fitted 35" Max 1.5* grip for 9 months - and for most of that period of time watched collective jaws drop from a) looking at something so inherently different and b) seeing the ball routinely disappear. If I could chip, pitch and green read a little better....... My usual revolving Saturday group (we have +/- 20 guys) all love their Camerons and the like - no one else has caught on. 

I just saw the thumbs off drill - that's something to try before the weekend, for sure.

• Like 2

I went through a rough season start on the greens and decided to completely "start over" with everything putting. Did a 1.5h putting session indoors on a perfectly flat practice green, fixed my grip a little, fixed stance a little and boom: I'm making putts again.

I am really convinced I will never "need" another putter again, but this is GolfWRX so ~2 years is already a long term relationship LOL

• Haha 3

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5° @9.5°

Cobra Radspeed Big Tour @ 15.5°

Mizuno ST-Z 230 19°@20°

PING i230 4-U, +1/2", green dot
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54° Full Sole

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 60° Mid Sole

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

Debating on Mezz Max or Link. Anyone try both and have input/feedback?

PXG BO Tour-1 10.5° - Ventus Blue Velocore -or-

TaylorMade BRNR Mini 11.5°- Tensei AV Raw White

PXG 0311 BO 15° - Tensei AV Raw White

PXG 0311 BO 18° - Tensei AV Raw White

PXG 0311 BO 22° - Tensei AV Raw White
PXG BLE 0317T - 5-PW - Project X
Cleveland RTX6 Tour Rack - PX - 50°

Cleveland RTX6 Tour Rack - PX - 54°
LAB DF3 - Accra Black -or-

LAB Link.1 - Accra Black

Played first round with DF 2.1 today (with minimal practice on carpet at home). Face just always feels square to where I set up. Wasn't used to the speed yet and kept leaving putts short (coming from a blade so the heftiness of a mallet scared me into thinking I'd smash the putt long) but the lines were excellent. Back 9 things picked up, sank 30 and 15 ft putts at perfect speed and had a few others which would have dropped had I hit them.

By the end of the round, I was looking forward to 10 footers as it felt like point and shoot. I just need a couple of more rounds to dial in the speed and adjust to the Press grip; then I'm positive my scores are going to improve from putting alone.

My playing partner commented that each roll was perfectly end of end.

• Like 3

Titleist TSR4 9*

Titleist 917 f2 3w 16.5*

Callaway UW 21*

Mizuno MP4 4-P

Vokey SM9 50/56/60

L.A.B Direct Force 2.1

8 hours ago, eRod v1.0 said:

Debating on Mezz Max or Link. Anyone try both and have input/feedback?

I was just debating posting my experience and I saw your post...I did a send in fitting with LAB for the Link.1, he told me it looked I like I was a 66 lie (which I thought was way too flat) but went through with it paying extra for the shaft and expedited delivery so in for over $800)..

I liked the Link but immediately switched the non-press standard rubber grip  with a leather grip master, experimented with weighting the grip for counterweighting but ultimately have decided to go no weight in the grip....The lie angle just mentally bothered me, I and I kept thinking about how the Mezz or Mezz max might be more forgiving. 

The thing that got me wanting to switch off of my Cameron Golo S mid mallet was I was loaned a Rife 2005ish Dana 2 bar blade for a round and it was money.  Never felt something so stable, it WAS point and shoot but old and ugly!  So anyways just ordered a stock Mezz Max and spent some time on the practice green with the Link/Mezz switching back forth...

In my opinion, although the Mezz Max was a great putter, the head didn't possess that more "RIFE" forgiving feel I was expecting over the Link.  It was a heavier feel on the end and probably was more forgiving, but it was very SLIGHT and I felt more comfortable standing over the Link.  I have been struggling with distance control and the RIFE dana seemed to "send' the ball even when I didn't quite put enough into the putt (chickened out), the Mezz/Link do not really do this and are on par with each other here.  I think I wasn't as comfortable over the Mezz due to the press grip which in a way made the face angle on the mezz max face look 'off' from target.  I struggled with getting the grip/shaft aligned in front of me and wasn't comfortable , but another factor could be my custom Link is 36" and the Mezz Max was 35". 

Overall Im 99% sure the Mezz is getting returned, if anything I might prefer a more upright lie on my Link but for now I think I can learn to putt well with it.  I don't know the turn around time or cost for them to change the lie (I mean I just spent 800+ on the Link, Im not spending another $100+ to change the lie).  Also, not sure how the Mezz Max plays with a standard grip or if it can be, but that would have helped me like it more IMO.  Hope this helps you some..

• Thanks 1

Titleist T150 Irons

Titleist U505 4 Utility
Titleist Tsi2 Driver
Ping G425 5 Wood
Ping G425 7 Wood
Titleist SM9 48, 54, 58 Wedges
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11