Michelle Wie to Join Masters Broadcast team

I'm perplexed by some of the accusations of mysogyny. No doubt there's plenty of it in the world, but I dont see much of it in this thread. I'm further perplexed by those who are apparently compelled to rush like white knights to defend MW against any criticism.

I think it's pretty clear (save for a few exceptions) that those questioning her getting a broadcasting gig are doing so based off of having heard her speak in interviews over the years. The basic skillset required for broadcasting includes speaking intelligibly. I mentioned earlier, and stand by it, that IMO Michelle has most often sounded somewhat ditzy and inarticulate.

Though I trust that she is in fact intelligent, and hopefully capable of learning the trade, I think it's perfectly reasonable for some to question her intellect based on the words that have come out of her own mouth over the years, Stanford degree notwithstanding.

I like Michelle Wie and as the father of two athletic daughters, appreciate women in sports...especially golf. I think she's a good choice based on her accomplishments on the course and her overall star stature in the game.

Still, all it takes is a quick Youtube search to pull up multiple interviews with Michelle sounding very, uhh...unintelligent. ?

"Ummm, like, ya know, OMG," etc., immature syntax, cliches abounding, as well as the interesting use of words that don't even exist...lol.

Is it really a wonder that some might question this choice for a Master's broadcasting gig? How about if it were announced that Dustin (uhh duhh) Johnson had been selected to be part of the broadcast team?

I can only imagine, a future CBS broadcast, Mike Tirico speaking: "Now let's cut over to the Butler cabin where our own Dustin Johnson will be covering the green jacket ceremony with Chairman Ridley and our new champion..." ?

C'mon man!

• Like 1

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

or you can point out where I called anyone a “dummy”. Also, what you requested was in the post you quoted. Assuming Immediately she will sound like a valley girl on the broadcast Is insulting her intelligence. The DJ comparison is hardly a valid one Stanford vs Coastal Carolina? Cmon now haha

It would be curious what the reaction would’ve been if it were Anthony Kim they announced. Besides breaking the internet, I mean he’s the same age roughly, same ethnicity and similar career as in didn't really live up to the potential. Do you think the majority would assume he’d be like, “dude that 5 iron into 15 was dope!!!” on the broadcast? Of course everyone will point out his experience in the tournament and record setting birdies but again you can’t really fault Michelle for not even having the opportunity to attempt it because of the fact she is a woman. Maybe now she will retire from pro golf and gain her amateur status and compete there who knows? Either way, I think both of them would and will do a great job and would look forward to it, change is good.

The DJ comparison is completely valid (in terms of making a comparative point) when discussing a broadcasting (speaking) job. It's based entirely on what has emanated from their respective mouths over the years.

I think it also serves to illustrate that gender and ethnicity have nothing to do with the majority of the criticism that's been rendered.

Suggesting that the university one attends should be the primary bellwether of one's intelligence and the opportunities ultimately afforded them sounds elitist to me. That's remarkably paradoxical coming from someone with your views.

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Perfectly reasonable Brother!!

Thank You for the thoughts?

From Maddie & I to You & Yours, have a Blessed Holiday Season and a Happy Healthy New Year?

Richard

• Like 1

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Standing ovation given ^

im no longer even concerned with Wie or that job. Never really was. What concerns me is that I’m no longer allowed an opinion in a public forum without being labeled various things , based on things that are out of my control.

What we are experiencing isn’t equality of voice. That happened sometime in the 90s. What we have now is a see-saw effect where absolute power is being sought out. And we all know that old adage regarding absolute power.

• Like 2

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Exactly, and rushing to defend on the basis of all of these "isms" seems entirely contradictory to promoting true equality if/when the criticism has had nothing to do with any of that. In fact, it's stifling to productive discussion. If the goal is to have each of us equally considered for our talents, virtues, accomplishments, etc., erroneous accusation, assumption, and defensiveness is not the way to go about it IMHO.

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

I find giving people the benefit of the doubt not elitist. if those are “my views” then fine with me. I personally don’t find her interviews to sound unintelligent especially since half of them or more is when she’s a teenager. DJ in my opinion can barely form a sentence. the college comparison was tongue in cheek so now I’m not allowed to take comedic liberty when you bring up DJ as the counterpoint while all the other comments are hey we’re just joking around?...Cmon

Also blade everyone is allowed to give their opinions as am I which is what I’m doing here so it’s kind of funny to me those wanting to be heard without criticism are criticizing a differing opinion as it’s a personal attack. I admit I used the word misogyny and that’s not the correct intent, was just trying point out I feel there’s a double standard, I don’t think people responding hate women so for that I apologize.

No. I’m not criticizing your opinion. Your Stance is that she would be great. Then ...... you follow than with a “ if you disagree you surely are a misogynist “ inference or joke. Which has all been followed by the “ IF you disagree youre an old white male and part of the problem “ deal.

That shifts the focus from “ Wie , good choice or not “

to “hey disagree with that choice and you’re the problem “. Which is what the argument is now about. Why do that ? Won’t the hiring stand on its own merit ?

• Like 2

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

If you want to talk about irony, how about you look at your first sentence: "I find giving people the benefit of the doubt not elitist." It sure seems like you aren't giving anyone that disagrees with you the benefit of the doubt; instead, you immediately jump to the conclusion that they are bashing on MW or that they are misogynists. You can't have it both ways, and that is why you are being called out.

Also, and I mean no disrespect to MW on this point, but the fact that she got into/graduated from Stanford means nothing. I grew up on the Stanford campus (Stanford maintains housing for high-ranking faculty and administrators) and was raised by a very high-ranking person in the undergrad admissions department; hell, I even sat in the corner of the room during some of the admissions committee meetings when they were discussing who to admit. While Stanford does a great job of admitting students who are very talented and intelligent, they also admit people who are neither talented nor intelligent. Stanford is a huge business, and like other businesses, they need to keep their coffers full. Stanford routinely admits students on the sole basis of how much money they have (or their parents have) and/or the likelihood that such student will contribute gobs of money back to the university at some point in the future... people like Wie, who at the time she was admitted to Stanford, was the 11th ranked female professional golfer in the world with loads of endorsements. I don't blame Stanford or Wie, though... which school wouldn't want a wholesome, young, rich, professional athlete associated with their school? Now, let me make this very clear: I'm not saying MW is dumb, untalented, or anything derogatory about her. However, saying Michelle Wie is intelligent simply because she is a Stanford grad is non-starter.

• Like 2

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 8* (standard setting) with MCA Tensei AV Raw Orange 75TX at 44.5"
3W: TaylorMade M5 15* (standard setting) with Oban Devotion 8 O5 at 42"
Hybrid: PXG Gen 2 0317X 19* (standard setting) with Oban Kiyoshi Purple Hybrid O5 at 39.5"
4i-9i: Callaway '18 Apex MB's with KBS C-Taper 130X at 1/4" long
46: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
50: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
54: Callaway JAWS MD5 8C
58: Callaway JAWS MD5 8W
Putter: Kari Lajosi Custom DD201WB

Do you often put words in people's mouth and deliberately misinterrept posts to try and make your points stand out more? I never said anything about Dottie Pepper not being good at anything, just that her status as the one women makes her a token. That is NOT a good thing, she and others (Rankin) have proven that women can and should be considered for these roles which have been traditionally male.

I had to do a double take to ensure your online name wasn't Arnold for your reaction was so far way from reality.

DMT76VV2JWUU.jpg

I am actually very much in favor of Michelle Wie moving into broadcasting & think she will do quite well. Your description of the current crop of announcers as "boring, monotone, unexciting and uninspiring" is a valid reason for wanting change; the frequent use of "old white guys" in place of actual reasoning is just intellectually lazy, vapid & irritating.

I always try to appreciate someones point but in this case

Your sense of humor needs a tune up ; )

My post was not directed with hatred toward MW or women, that's absurd. It was a more of a commentary on how younger generations combine every facet of their lives with the omnipresence of earbuds and texting 24/7.

Nick Faldo, "Michelle, how is the wind on 12?"

MW, "It's swirling a bit, Tiger may wait for a few moments here"

Nick, "Yes, well, I recall back when I played the 12th...."

(MW texting her friends while Nick is talking), "Faldo is blabbing again, I'm like, OK Boomer, lol, #youareboringdude "

I won't be pointing out where you called anyone a dummy, because I never said you called anyone a dummy......The post I was quoting was yours in which you said this entire thread was questioning her intelligence...….This time instead of asking you to point this out, I will just simply tell you that your are exaggerating.

Ummm maybe read the whole post to the end before commenting (apology at end of post). And sorry I dont see the irony you’re talking about. How do you give benefit of doubt when commenting on something that people already posted?? It’s in writing on the screen and I’m commenting on it which is the point of a public forum, no!? Benefit of the doubt is not bashing someone that hasn’t done the job yet.

Agreed...total cop-out.

I've been a Michelle Wie fan since watching her laser a 3 iron to 6 ft from 220 into the wind over 10 years ago at Upper Montclair CC when most of her competitors were hitting 3 & 5 woods. I'm looking forward to her in this role and hope she succeeds, but I also believe she'll need to significantly improve her syntax and vocabulary if she expects credibility and positive reviews as a legitimate broadcaster, where language becomes that 3 iron. Gender, ethnicity, age, etc. have nothing to do with my opinion on the matter.

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

She's going to be hailed and panned after she starts. Everyone is an expert in the Dunning-Kruger world of the internet.

In the old days, we had the pleasure of interacting with fewer people. And they had to look you in the eye when they offered up an opinion that made them look like an idiot.

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

My 2-cents. I like M. Wie and think she'll do fine as a commentator. My only misgivings, is that for "The Masters", I would prefer to see seasoned ex-players of high enough standing (and preferably won the Masters?) who know that course inside and out as commentators, even if it's just for that one tournament. Or for instance, someone who's now devoted a long time to coaching/training others (like Annika S..... as a parallel to Kostis). Other than that, life is good. I do remember when David Duval started in the booth, he was a bit awkward but now he has developed into a decent commentator/analyst.

GHIN Index 12.9
LH Epic Flash Driver-LH, 10.5*, Project X EvenFlow Riptide 50 (Light)
LH Callaway Rogue 5-wood (18*), 7-wood (20*); Aldila Synergy 60-Reg
LH Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-AW, Recoil Dart 75 F3
LH Cleveland RTX 50*, 54*, 58*
LH Odyssey Double Wide Stroke Lab Putter

I literally used your own words... you had an opportunity to take back calling a woman a token yet you doubled down. Thanks for confirming what we already knew. Rankin and pepper worked their way up the ranks through lpga telecasts and proved they were 2 of the best. Pepper retired from broadcasting and a few yearslater CBS recruited her when feherty left for the golf channel. thats how respected she was. Rankin does work for espn ABC and is lauded. Peter Alliss adored working with her at the british open. Wie is being handed a job, big difference. Shes not well spoken stutters stammers lisps and is generally an immature 30 year old who has fed off free nike money for years. If you think thats a positive step for women broadcasting in golf, good luck with that...

• Like 1

Lowheel! Hope your holidays are off to a great start.

Apparently, MW got great reviews as a solheim cup announcer. You can be the judge here in the vid below and there’s a few of these with her.

Seems far more poised than some, myself included, may have given her credit for....

https://www.golfchannel.com/video/golf-central-2019-solheim-cup-michelle-wie-day-1

Now I don't know the answer to this, but an interesting exercise would be to look at all the other on-air talent and sort of audit what their trajectories were. Did they ALL have to work their way through "lower ranks" to get to the big time? I feel like Neither David Duval nor Bones had to start out on mini tours or anything like that, which could beg the question "why do the women have to prove more?", but I don't know what the various paths were that led the various broadcasters to TV.

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

Hey man likewise to you and your family!! all the best. I guess we disagree on her "performance" in a small panel setting. Iactually saw this when it was happening and dont think she added anything other than repetitiveness and a odd giggle. im sure she was nervous which is understandable but her lisping and cadence is hard to overcome. Again, its nothing personal, it just seems like a desperate move...

its a very fair question. I never said she needed to but it would help her credibility and to get some practice. I dont think it would do her any good because i have a decades worth of her interviews that shows me this is a desperate move to cater to a non existing demographic. Duval nobilo, and even jim mckay did alot of media and desk stuff at the golf channel first. Duval was awkward at first but really turned it around. Notah begay has not improved at all and is still stiff as a board. Nobilo worked his way up and is excellent in all aspects. Some people are naturals and you know they will do well but as another poster pointed out imagine dustin johnson in the booth... yeah exactly.

This is a fairly recent interview...

Michelle’s gonna be just fine, though she should probably adjust her views and thoughts on “her club,” lolol

The guys in the card room are gonna love that, lolol

BCRCOZ2GKUN5.jpeg

Oh, and I’ve been the “white knight” my whole life, lol

I’m good with it?

Cheers?

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Give her credit for the poise she shows in the above podcast, and she's got something to say so to speak and speaks well but she needs to work on those "ums". Distracting to me from someone so mature and intelligent, but she comes off well. Actually enjoyed listening to it, thanks Richard. The GC link from Basic reminded me how much I think Paige adds to the mix when she is on GC. Michelle was okay in that studio setting, but seemed a little nervous and the format wasn't really setting her up for success with mostly highlights. I liken her to early Notah on the set back in the day - IMO he's doing just fine now. Seasoning is helpful for more than just food!

Gotcha, that was the info I was looking for. I did not get a chance to hear it, but apparently she did well with the Solheim Cup? I think it does make sense for her to get immersed in the job for awhile before going on the big stage, but I suppose that is what the next several months before the Masters would be for. I agree with everything you said about the current broadcasters though. Yeah I think with a little coaching she will do just fine. She'll mainly need to ditch that occasional valley girl "up talk" upward inflection thing though as it definitely carries the "ditzy" stigma with it.

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant