Anyone else not carry any fairway woods?

nfogle

3 hours ago, Striker Ace said:

I do not carry a driver. I use my 5 wood from the tee and hybrids from the deck.

I think Pinestreetgolf's head just exploded.

• Haha 1

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

I am looking at swapping out my 3w and 3H and just playing Driver/DI/UI/Irons due to having a steep AOA. Anyone else have a similar setup?

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with Ventus Black 6x 44.5"

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Srixon Z-star XV

1 hour ago, geochitown said:

I think Pinestreetgolf's head just exploded.

Who Whiney Piney???? We could not be that lucky

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

On 12/8/2020 at 5:25 AM, mootrail said:

I have the Original One Mini Driver 13.5°, which is a mini driver and not a fairway wood (I carry a driver as well).  My next club is a 19° 4 Hybrid.

My swing plane is not suited to fairway woods and have always played DIs.  I just switch from a DI to a hybrid this past year.  My JPX Fli-Hi Hybrid is hotter then any DI I've had; much better from the fairway and still a great tee club.

Incorrect. The original one is indeed both a driver and fairway wood. Look it up. I use the 13.5° easily off the deck. It is effectively a 2 wood. It has been built with a steel sole plate for that reason. It is the most versatile club I have ever owned. It also means I can carry an extra club elsewhere in the bag, by having the driver and fairway wood in one. Very forgiving too.

Edited by Clubhoe

3 hybrid works great, especially if you’re confident in your driver. For me there are very few holes that require the distance of a 3 wood specifically driver or hybrid get it done. I tried to carry a driver, fairway, hybrid but there wasn’t a need for all three. Tight dog legs are more 3 hybrid or 5 iron length for me.... not to mention that I buried the lead, I can’t hit a fairway off the turf to save my life 😂

• Like 2

I use both a fairway and a hybrid -It's all about scoring. If you're using what's best for you that is the ideal. Hybrid....Fairway -it's about playing your best There's no right or wrong answer.

• Like 2

Titleist  TSi2 8.0 TPT 14.5 LKP LT LW 
Ping G400 14.5* TPT 15 LKP LT LW 

Ping i210 4-PW TT Elevate Tour X
Cleveland tour raw 52, 56, 60 DG x100
Byron Morgan- HG-DH89
Titleist PV1x
Jones Utility Trouper-Carry
Ogio Silencer Alphard E-wheels

No fairway woods for me, I have an exotics cbx 5 wood I bring in every now and again as it is fantastic.

currently go driver, 16 degree exotics hybrid, 20 degree hybrid , 4 iron. 

driver 280-300, 16 degree 240-260, 20 degree 220-230, 4 iron 200-215

i put the 16 degree in play as a fairway finder for me when driver not cooperating. Considered driving iron and loved the exs, may be an addition at some point. My 16 hybrid is great though. 
can you tell I like exotics fairways-hybrids-driving irons

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DonOmar said:

3 hybrid works great, especially if you’re confident in your driver. For me there are very few holes that require the distance of a 3 wood specifically driver or hybrid get it done. I tried to carry a driver, fairway, hybrid but there wasn’t a need for all three. Tight dog legs are more 3 hybrid or 5 iron length for me.... not to mention that I buried the lead, I can’t hit a fairway off the turf to save my life 😂

I'm in the same boat. Chunk my 3W 160 yards or just hit my 3H 220-225 and lay up?

While it was in my bag I chased that "maybe I'll catch this one clean" feeling with the 3W until I finally dumped it out of the bag.

Titleist TSR2 9* - Ventus TR Red 6X

Titleist TS3 4W 16.5* - T1100 Evenflow White 6.5

W/S UT 20* - HZRDUS Black RDX 6.0

Callaway Apex '19 4-PW - PX Rifle 6.0

Vokey SM9 49* - PX Rifle 6.0

Vokey SM8 54/58 - PX Rifle 6.0

SINK 1992 Custom

On 12/7/2020 at 8:47 AM, Fairway14 said:

Yes, and if the "situation" is that the lie is sloped or grassy or sitting down in a bit of a depression then a long club is the wrong club.

Again, it is situational. I have an easier time hitting either of my fairway woods out of 4" rough than I would a hybrid or long iron. An open face and steep swing can let you utilize that big sole of a fairway wood to great advantage. That is part of the reason pros put in more fairway woods at the last US Open. You may see an advantage personally of playing it a different way, but I think the fairway wood "open face chop" shot is not that difficult overall.

Edited by b.mattay

Rogue ST Max LS (8.0), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX 

Cobra Aerojet (13.5), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX

TSi2 (18), Tensei AV Raw White 85TX

U85 (22), X100

i210 (5-UW), X100

T20 (55.09, 60.06), S400

35” Daddy Long Legs

Srixon Z-Star XV

10 minutes ago, Lobber said:

I currently have a 3 wood BUT after picking up a Callaway Super Hybrid 20 degree and crushing it I am thinking of getting rid of the 3 wood and getting a lower lofted Super Hybrid.  These things are monsters and so easy to hit off deck or tee.  Easy to elevate.  Proving to be a real game changer for me

How much distance difference is there between your 3-wood and 20* Super Hybrid shots ?

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

1 hour ago, Lobber said:

I currently have a 3 wood BUT after picking up a Callaway Super Hybrid 20 degree and crushing it I am thinking of getting rid of the 3 wood and getting a lower lofted Super Hybrid.  These things are monsters and so easy to hit off deck or tee.  Easy to elevate.  Proving to be a real game changer for me

I'd love to find a 17 degree Super Hybrid and bring it down to 16; but they're super rare to find in lefty.

Titleist TSR2 9* - Ventus TR Red 6X

Titleist TS3 4W 16.5* - T1100 Evenflow White 6.5

W/S UT 20* - HZRDUS Black RDX 6.0

Callaway Apex '19 4-PW - PX Rifle 6.0

Vokey SM9 49* - PX Rifle 6.0

Vokey SM8 54/58 - PX Rifle 6.0

SINK 1992 Custom

41 minutes ago, BraxtonFullerton said:

I'd love to find a 17 degree Super Hybrid and bring it down to 16; but they're super rare to find in lefty.

Super Hybrid is a legit fairway killer. Adams Super XTD is a cheaper option that is easy to find lefty. Get the XTD Ti version at 17 degrees and its just as long as a 15* 3 wood and so much easier to hit from the deck. 

PING G400 MAX 10*, Ventus Blue 6X

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood - THE GOAT

Cobra F6 Baffler 17,5*, AD DI 8S

Cobra F7 Hybrid 21.5*, AD DI 95S

Srixon ZX5mk2 5, ZX7mk2 6-PW Modus 120x

50/54/60 Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore DG Spinner

2 hours ago, Fairway14 said:

How much distance difference is there between your 3-wood and 20* Super Hybrid shots ?

I hit the hybrid farther!  I am getting anywhere from 230 to 250 plus with the 20 degree. I can sometimes get that off the deck with

my 15 degree 3 Wood set to 16.5 but the Super HB is easier to hit and elevate

7 hours ago, BraxtonFullerton said:

I'm in the same boat. Chunk my 3W 160 yards or just hit my 3H 220-225 and lay up?

While it was in my bag I chased that "maybe I'll catch this one clean" feeling with the 3W until I finally dumped it out of the bag.

Amen! Same here. Sometimes it’s just not worth it.

Also, on a somewhat related note. After I ditched the fairway, a friend made my foursome play a round with 1 club. And it’s crazy that scores aren’t all that different.

That kind of validated the decision in a way, because I learned that there’s value to getting around the course. And any regular shot is better than a chunk or slice into the water.

• Like 1

I haven't carried a fairway for years, just based on the courses I play I don't need it off the tee, and my appraoch shots on par 5s don't call for a fairway wood.  Usually 200-240 for long appraoches which for me is a hybrid.   If I'm 250-270 for a 2nd shot on a par 5, its probably because I had a bad drive so I'm likely laying up.

Instead of a 3 wood I've carried a 64 degree.  Rather than using a 3 wood once every couple of rounds, I'd rather have my 'get out of jail free' wedge.  I probably use it 2 or 3 times as much as I would a 3 wood. 

• Like 1

This year is the last time I’m carrying a fairway wood; use it so seldom and to good effect even less often. Set make-up for ‘21 will look like this:

8* 46.5” driver

12* 44.5” driver

18* hybrid 

21 and 24 utility iron

5-9 irons 

46, 52, 58 wedges

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

IMO, if players that don't play fairways had fairways that were equally as shaft-long as their hybrids, there wouldn't be an issue.

What's an 18º hybrid, roughly 41"? Build someone a 41" 3-wood, and they'll love it.

It's not the head, folks.

Edited by karstens_ghost
  • Like 1

Ping-logo-283444624.jpeg 410LST 9º (TourX) RogueST 3D (ADDI 6X) [OMG what?], 425 3w 14.5º (TourX), 430 3h 19º & 4 iCross (HZRDUS Red 6.0), i230 5-U, G4 54º, GFP 59º (DART105F4). 2021 Fetch (BGT Tour Black).

"Golf is just a dance with a stick, and a ball tells you how good a dancer you are."  LCP150mm in your fairway should be a full-time rule.

On 12/5/2020 at 3:01 PM, hybrid25 said:

I think that asking if anybody else doesn't carry a fairway wood is like asking the question "do you hit it far enough that you don't need to carry a fairway wood? " The great majority of golfers who play the game generally do not hit the ball far enough that allows them not to carry a fairway wood. I will use myself as an example in that my drives are about 230 and my 4-hybrid is about 190. That's too much of a gap and needs to be filled in with a fairway wood. I carry a 17-degree 4 wood for the distances in between my driver and hybrid. There was a day when I didn't have to use a fairway wood but those days are long gone. I also think those days don't exist for the majority of golfers who play the game. If it were not for Fairway woods and hybrids my game would suffer. Along with my 4w I carry four hybrids up to 31° , then I start with my 7-iron. Lol, getting old. 

By that logic, none of the pros should carry 3W. And yet EVERY pro carries a 3W. Nobody hits the ball so far that they never have use for a 3W. 

Titleist TSR3 1w Ventus Red x

Titleist TSR2 3w 5w GD AD DIx

Titleist TSR2 4h 5h GD AD Dix

Titleist T100 6i-9i X100 Tour

Titleist SM09 Pw-Lw S400 Tour

Titleist Pro V1 White Hot OG5

6 hours ago, karstens_ghost said:

IMO, if players that don't play fairways had fairways that were equally as shaft-long as their hybrids, there wouldn't be an issue.

What's an 18º hybrid, roughly 41"? Build someone a 41" 3-wood, and they'll love it.

It's not the head, folks.

There is certainly alot of truth here, but when manufactures are producing them at 43.25, you cant just cut off 2+ inches and call it good. Really messes with the swingweight, lie, and the profile of the shaft. And there is also the issue of turf interaction off the deck. Some people have more confidence in seeing the larger head down by the ball, but for other's it is a major deterrent and if you are steep its just more mass that can hit the ground before the ball. 

PING G400 MAX 10*, Ventus Blue 6X

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood - THE GOAT

Cobra F6 Baffler 17,5*, AD DI 8S

Cobra F7 Hybrid 21.5*, AD DI 95S

Srixon ZX5mk2 5, ZX7mk2 6-PW Modus 120x

50/54/60 Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore DG Spinner

43 minutes ago, uglande said:

By that logic, none of the pros should carry 3W. And yet EVERY pro carries a 3W. Nobody hits the ball so far that they never have use for a 3W. 

Okay, good point

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

I posted earlier that I don't carry a fairway wood, and the main reason is that I have a hard time finding a 3 wood that launches high enough off the deck for me when I do have to hit one into greens on long par 4s.  I'm getting a Cobra F9 5 wood that I'm going to turn down to 17* and install a Nunchuk shaft that I have in the closet. 

If this works out based off of distance off the deck and the tee, this will be my 4 wood, then I'll figure out the gap between my 4 wood and 5 iron.  I recently got 2 X Forged Utility irons in both 21* and 24* and I still have my 17* and 19* Adams XTD Super Hybrids.  

• Like 1

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17* (AV Raw White 75s); 21* Callaway UW (Tour AD TP 8s); 
Irons: Srixon MKII ZX5 4 Iron (Recoil Utility 110 F4), 5-PW Srixon ZX7 (DG AMT White s300)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)

I've had seasons where I carry both a 3w and a 5w, but that setup rarely sticks. Currently gaming two callaway super hybrids, a 17* bumped down to 16* and a 20*...this has by far been my most functional setup in a while. I wish the heads were a tad more compact, but the forgiveness and length fits my gaps perfect. I go 4-P after that and don't feel like I'm missing out at all.

Update: played yesterday with out any fairway and only my trusty JPX 921 FlyHi hybrid with steel PXLZ shaft with great results. I noticed that in the past several rounds I was only using my ST190 3TS as a tee club and once a round from the deck with mixed results. Shot below my handy mainly from nicely executed second shots with the hybrid that put me in good yardage windows all round. Something to be said about having driver and then a club you can count on for 230 off the deck time and time again. Confidence was there and yesterday was a great start in proving to me, to continue on this path. 

I suspect I am a Driver, hybrid, 4iron player from here on out. 

• Like 2

PXG GEN6 0311 10.5*DRIVER/FUJI RED VELOCORE 6S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN5 0311XF 17*FAIRWAY/FUJI MOTORE X F3 7S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN3 0311XP 3 IRON/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN3 0311P 4-PW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN4 0311P GW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG SD II WEDGES/56/13&62/10/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/GP TW BLK

MACHINE M2A 1018RAW CS PUTTER/ACCRA I-STEEL/SS FLAT 1.0

I often think about leaving the 3W out of the bag, it's not a club that I hit often, maybe 2-3 times max a round and usually after a shorter than usual drive.  Problem is, I am about 50/50 with it, sometimes I'll hit a great shot that lands on the green for a birdie putt and others I'll hit it fat or thin and end up with a 3rd shot that's much worse than if I had just laid up with a hybrid.  I picked up a Super Hybrid so I'm going to try that out in place of the 3w.  I hit the 3w great when I practice but on the course it is so inconsistent.  

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX