How do you putt and why?

jomatty

I’m curious how others approach putting.  What grip do you use?  Do you prefer an equal backstroke to forward stroke, or shorter longer one way or the other?  Is your stance open, square or closed?  Do you use a line, pick a spot or use a different method?  Basically anything you want to share on how you putt either technically or theoretically.  what’s your handicap?

Putting is a weakness.  I’m not a terrible putter, but there is a lot of room for improvement.  My lag putting is good and I rarely three putt but I miss more than my share of 5 footers (and 3.5-4 footers if I’m honest).  I have cross dominant eyes and I like to blame my difficulty on short putts on that, but who knows if that is really a big part of the issue.  Using a line for the short putts helps this a lot. My HCP is currently 7.1 and was as low as 5.8 this year, so overall I’m in the “ok” category of golfers.

I’m currently using left hand low, with an overlap on my rear hand with the overlap covering the bottom 3 fingers of the lead hand and the pinky of the lead hand over my right hand (puts my hands very close together/almost prayer grip like).  I change my grip way too often and would be better off to leave it alone more.  I really like what the crosshanded putting does for my face angle at impact but I do struggle with speed.  This makes me go back to a traditional reverse overlap grip from time to time.  I use a line on the ball for putts that are within around 15 feet, unless they have a lot of break.  On longer putts or ones with a lot of movement I don’t use any alignment aid.  I try to set up square but it tends to be slightly open.  On average I would say my backstroke to forward stroke is 1:1 but when I’m putting bad the forward stroke can be longer (this is the one technical thing that bothers me most when I do it).  I would like to get the forward stroke to be shorter but struggle getting the feel for that, but am working towards it.  When I was taught to putt 30 odd years ago a lot of emphasis was put on acceleration and I think that is where this bad habit originated.

So how about you guys?  How do you putt and why?

Edited by jomatty

Nicklaus was left eye dominant and his stance probably had something to do with getting his dominant eye where it needed to be.

FWIW, my handicap numbers pretty much mirror yours for last season.  Reverse overlap, set up square to my line, get a feel behind the ball ala Stockton, no practice stroke, never SBST, never think about my backstroke/forward stroke ratio (now going to "unthink" reading about it, lol), never use a line on my ball.  Have used the same setup since I started playing at a young age, have never fiddled with my grip (as for actual grip on the putter, experimented with SuperStroke and it was no good for me, so back to Pingman), ditched practice stroke a few years ago after reading Stockton's book and adopted his "routine" (beyond that never adopted his setup ideas).  Seems like whenever I have an issue, something is just a little out of whack with setup.  If I practice, lol, work on speed but I should work on putts 6 feet or so and in, but it is boring so I don't. Wish I was a better greens reader.  Putt pretty decent but lazily accept the fact that I don't putt better because I don't work at it more so don't get too hung up on missed putts. I have a PuttOut thing (looks like something out of the "pink aisle" at the grocery store or something a catcher would wear, but it is brilliant), and a mat for it and need to get it out and use it!

Edit:  as to "why", I just have always putted the same basic way since I had masking tape on the carpet of my bedroom for alignment at age 12 with my trusty beagle watching me practice (the masking tape thing I'm sure came out of Golf Digest).  He was the smart one - I read golf, hunting and fishing magazines, he read the dictionary!

2780F69D-AD2B-4A9C-BE2A-C0B4EFAAF5A2_1_201_a.jpeg

Edited by Hawkeye77
  • Like 3

Very traditional. 

I like to feel like I am swinging the putter head.  My main thought is to roll the ball on a line towards the hole.  Keeping my head perfectly still is key for me especially on short ones that I need to make. 

standard reverse overlap grip, eyes just behind the ball and inside the target line. Anser style putter, (have also used a Bullseye with good success ) line on top rail, I have used a putter with a dot as well, no line on the ball. Alignment aids screw ne up, I think trying to be overly precise screws things up and causes tension both mentally and physically.  The only real practice drill I use is practice strokes just with the right hand, putting while looking at the hole frees things up too. 

I think Tiger has a great technique, great info out there by David Orr, Larry Rinker, Stan Utley. 

SBST type of stroke is death to me, I’d rather see an arching wristy stroke with some feel and natural touch. I hate the big fat grips I use a GP tour wrap currently, I have used some slightly oversized grips in the past but I prefer something close to traditional sized

Edited by dlygrisse
  • Like 4

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

59 minutes ago, jomatty said:

I’m curious how others approach putting.  What grip do you use?  Do you prefer an equal backstroke to forward stroke, or shorter longer one way or the other?  Is your stance open, square or closed?  Do you use a line, pick a spot or use a different method?  Basically anything you want to share on how you putt either technically or theoretically.  what’s your handicap?

Putting is a weakness.  I’m not a terrible putter, but there is a lot of room for improvement.  My lag putting is good and I rarely three putt but I miss more than my share of 5 footers (and 3.5-4 footers if I’m honest).  I have cross dominant eyes and I like to blame my difficulty on short putts on that, but who knows if that is really a big part of the issue.  Using a line for the short putts helps this a lot. My HCP is currently 7.1 and was as low as 5.8 this year, so overall I’m in the “ok” category of golfers.

I’m currently using left hand low, with an overlap on my rear hand with the overlap covering the bottom 3 fingers of the lead hand and the pinky of the lead hand over my right hand (puts my hands very close together/almost prayer grip like).  I change my grip way too often and would be better off to leave it alone more.  I really like what the crosshanded putting does for my face angle at impact but I do struggle with speed.  This makes me go back to a traditional reverse overlap grip from time to time.  I use a line on the ball for putts that are within around 15 feet, unless they have a lot of break.  On longer putts or ones with a lot of movement I don’t use any alignment aid.  I try to set up square but it tends to be slightly open.  On average I would say my backstroke to forward stroke is 1:1 but when I’m putting bad the forward stroke can be longer (this is the one technical thing that bothers me most when I do it).  I would like to get the forward stroke to be shorter but struggle getting the feel for that, but am working towards it.  When I was taught to putt 30 odd years ago a lot of emphasis was put on acceleration and I think that is where this bad habit originated.

So how about you guys?  How do you putt and why?

I agree about you thoughts on acceleration.  Just think of rolling the ball to the hole, try looking at the hole like Spieth did when he was the best putter in the world, at least on the practice green. Trust your hands don’t focus on what the putter is doing. 

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

I highly recommend having a SAM Putting Analysis. It’s worth your time. If you’re a serious golfer, the information gained from a proper analysis is priceless!

Expect to pay about $100 per hour. My instructor was having a holiday special and I got an hour and a half for $60. I received a 6-page report with the information gained from the 5-cameras, a Flightscope, and the SAM. 

For grip I go back and forth between interlock and reverse overlap. Mallet style putters. I'm more of a straight back, straight through putter.

Read greens with aimpoint express and I pick my aiming spot at the hole. Never really liked picking a spot in front of the ball as I seem to loose speed control that way. I do use the line to line myself up initially but I don't get anal about it

I figure im inside a 2 now as I didn't renew my card last year at the course as I started as a 2.1 after the WHS adjustment hit and my putting and general play got better last year

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

I am trying sidesaddle this year!!

Rogue ST Max LS (8.0), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX 

Cobra Aerojet (13.5), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX

TSi2 (18), Tensei AV Raw White 85TX

U85 (22), X100

i210 (5-UW), X100

T20 (55.09, 60.06), S400

35” Daddy Long Legs

Srixon Z-Star XV

Been using my own version of the claw grip since 2003, with a standard (slim) pistol grip and face balanced mallet.

Honestly, I was a terrible putter prior to trying the claw grip.  Sunk the first putt I ever tried with the grip (a forty footer) and then proceeded to one-putt four of the next five holes coming in.  Stuck with it ever since, lol.

Cobra Radspeed (10)

Cobra Radspeed Big Tour (14.5)

Cobra F8+ (19)

Cobra King Tec Hybrid (24)

Cobra Forged Tour (5-PW)

Cobra Black (50, 54)

Cobra Black Snakebite (58)

PING Heppler Fetch

Snell MTB Prime

Reverse overlap grip for me with my left index finger extended, it was how I learned and nothing else feels right. Ball position slightly forward, neutral to slightly open stance is most comfortable for me. 

For the stroke itself I definitely try to have some acceleration but keep it a smooth transition and pace, not a pop stroke. Feel for speed is just learned, helps to get on the putting green before the round and hit all different lengths of putt uphill and downhill. I predominantly play on Bermuda so grain is a big consideration as well.

Line is a lot using my feet to feel the slope, if it’s subtle I decide how much I think it will break and use the side stamp on my ball to align myself. If I can’t get confident on the line I will read both sides. I’ve never been a big spot putter, only if I’m in a scramble helping others as I find a lot go that route.

My advice would be to work on getting the ball to consistently start on line, however you get there. Find a grip/head shape/etc that allows you to do that. Then practice speed control with all distances. I use my practice strokes to get a feel for the stroke I want to make.

Titleist TSi3 10* TPO 1K 60-TX
Titleist 917F3 15* VA Composite Drago 75-X (Ai Smoke TD otw)
Titleist T200 3 UB Thump 90-X / TSr3 19* Ventus Black 10-TX
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

5 hours ago, jomatty said:

I have cross dominant eyes and I like to blame my difficulty on short putts on that, but who knows if that is really a big part of the issue.

4 hours ago, Hawkeye77 said:

Nicklaus was left eye dominant and his stance probably had something to do with getting his dominant eye where it needed to be.

Very interested in this portion of the discussion.

I'm left-handed and left eye dominant, but I play golf right-handed. Like many lefties, I learned to do a lot of things right-handed because of the world when I was a kid. Learned to swing a club right-handed because my dad's old clubs in the garage were rightie. Learned to throw a ball right-handed because the only baseball gloves in the garage fit on my left hand. And everyone else was being taught skills like that right-handed, so I just sorta went along.

As a result, my right arm is stronger than my left, but I use my left for basically any "detail work" task I need. 

I wonder if there are any compensations that someone like me should make to better utilize my natural left-hand and left-eyed dominance? 

Even beyond that, although it's way too late in life to switch to a left-handed full swing, I wonder if it would be helpful to simply buy a left-handed putter and teach myself to putt leftie?

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

I spent the past year working harder on my putting then anything else. I saw my putting average going from 26-27 PPR to 30 or more and it was a two-fold issue. One was my stoke was getting really 'pushy' and I wasn't getting a true roll on the ball. The second and more important issue was I wasn't reading greens as well as I used to. I was under-reading break or worse, couldn't match the line and speed any longer. Then I started to over-think the whole thing and having been a total feel player for 40 years, I knew I was 'losing it'. I tried a different putter or four. I tried a Super Stoke grip. I tried LHL, the Claw, etc. Read Pelz' Putting Bible again and a few other things too embarrassing to mention. The more I tried the worse it got. What was once a strength was now a liability. After a 37- putt 84 I said enough of this BS.

So I basically started the year from scratch. I went back to my blade putter of 14 years and the grip I've used since learning the game. The only thing I do different now is I set my right foot back from the line about 2-inches at set up. The putter blade is in the center of my stance. This has taken the push out of the putts and has the unlined ball rolling truer. Also, I use a gated stroke that closely resembles Utley's method sans the grip.

For green reading I tried the Aimpoint and it has it's good points but nothing is a substitute for rolling putts on a green and seeing how it works. Or taking the time to look at a putt from all sides, especially the low point to get a better idea on the start line and high point of the putt. I mainly play on Bermuda. So while it's a moving scale of break when the grass isn't dormant, it is a great training ground for other grasses and it's a simple matter of using more or less "borrow' and a speed adjustment whenever I travel.

So the above is what has borne out thru an exhaustive process to work the best for me. In 2020 I played 212 rounds of golf and averaged 26.1 PPR. The most important thing I can say to you is find the tool and stroke that works best for you. We all process this golf thing a little differently than everyone else. But for the sake of your game and mental health I implore you to find a professional putting instructor and have him evaluate your stroke. Then have an adult discussion about what will make you better. Afterwards its up to you to decide if you believe it. If you do, you have a benchmark and plan to improve. If not, you can/will remain in putter purgatory until you somehow stumble upon/figure out how to roll the ball true and better than you are now. It also helps to focus on the roll, rather than the hole. Good Luck.

• Like 1

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

My putting journey over the past 4 months or so:

1.) The video below changed everything for me. I did the test at around 2:45, and realized for the first time in my life that my eyes had to be *outside* the ball line for the alignment to make sense for me

2.) Once that clicked, the fairly bent over stance allowed me to perform what feels to me like pretty straight back\through stroke. 

3.) These required 2 equipment changes. I did a putter fitting and ended up with a 33.5 inch putter (I'm 6'2) that had the slightest amount of toe hang. I went with a ping that's adjustable in case I need to tweak in the future. 

4.) I read greens exclusively with aimpoint express + my gut for grain influence. I never "look" at what a putt is going to do because I can't trust my eyes as much as my feel. 

5.) Arccos has me at a 4.5hcp with putting at -1.5 sg vs scratch currently, but I have rounds as high as +5.  I feel like I am going to make everything I look at under 20ft with a reasonable amount of break. Obviously I don't, but I do feel that way. 

6.) I never practice putting, but I do spend alot of time on the green calibrating distance before a round on a course other than the one I play regularly. 

7.) I had switched to a really firm ball for more distance off the tee, but my putter is already super hard too - noticed over the past week I putt much better with a softer ball. 

• Like 1

Handicap .5

Current Bag:
Big Dogs: G410 for Fades, G425 for draws

FW: Ole Blue but stays on the porch most rounds

Hybrids: G425, Cobra  King Tec
Irons: Srixon ZX5/7
Wedges: PM Grind 54/58

Moneymaker: Ping Heppler Tyne 3

Rock: Srixon Z-Star Divide

7 hours ago, dlygrisse said:

Very traditional. 

I like to feel like I am swinging the putter head.  My main thought is to roll the ball on a line towards the hole.  Keeping my head perfectly still is key for me especially on short ones that I need to make. 

standard reverse overlap grip, eyes just behind the ball and inside the target line. Anser style putter, (have also used a Bullseye with good success ) line on top rail, I have used a putter with a dot as well, no line on the ball. Alignment aids screw ne up, I think trying to be overly precise screws things up and causes tension both mentally and physically.  The only real practice drill I use is practice strokes just with the right hand, putting while looking at the hole frees things up too. 

I think Tiger has a great technique, great info out there by David Orr, Larry Rinker, Stan Utley. 

SBST type of stroke is death to me, I’d rather see an arching wristy stroke with some feel and natural touch. I hate the big fat grips I use a GP tour wrap currently, I have used some slightly oversized grips in the past but I prefer something close to traditional sized

This could be my response verbatim by replacing ‘Anser’ with ‘MyDay’, ‘Bullseye’ with ‘Anser’ and ‘GP tour wrap’ with ‘original thin SuperStroke 1.0 parallel’

TSi3 10

TS2 16.5 & 21

G425 22 & 26

ZX7 6i - PW

Vokey 54F-14, 58K-12

Spider X

I would say I have a stroke with some lag to the back stroke and a smooth transition; my biggest influence would be Mark McNulty, the Zimbabwean, who was a phenomenal putter. I copied his extended index fingers grip which is both comfortable and gets the palms facing. I practise a lot with just 1 hand, left or right, for pace, speed and control.

I always find the low side and split a breaking putt into 2 halves. I draw a straight line to the hole from the ball and see the high side as green (as is) and the low side as red. The ball must always stay in the green as it travels and can only enter the red past the hole.

As far as technique goes, anything that feels comfortable and produces a consistently accurate roll will do. This must be tested either DIY or with SAM/Quintic as this provides the necessary feedback to bolster self belief and build a cast iron trust in what you've got. 

Whatever works.

6 hours ago, nitram said:

In 2020 I played 212 rounds of golf and averaged 26.1 PPR.

That is nuts!! I wish I could do both of those! I've never even heard of someone taking that few putts consistently. 26 putts was my low last year (out of 68 rounds, and it happened once)! 

• Thanks 1

Rogue ST Max LS (8.0), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX 

Cobra Aerojet (13.5), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX

TSi2 (18), Tensei AV Raw White 85TX

U85 (22), X100

i210 (5-UW), X100

T20 (55.09, 60.06), S400

35” Daddy Long Legs

Srixon Z-Star XV

What's nuts is standing on a putting green making 100, 1 foot putts in a row. If you miss, you start over. Then progress to 2 footers, same drill. Then move to 3 footers, same drill. When I started over I did this 15 days in a row and still do so once a week. I made myself do this for 4 footers once and it took almost 3 hours to complete. It really sucks to get to 91 and lip one out and start all over again. But I had to get back into that 'grind' mindset to ever get back to where I was rolling the ball true and know where the ball is going.

Edited by nitram
  • Like 1

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

7 hours ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

Very interested in this portion of the discussion.

I'm left-handed and left eye dominant, but I play golf right-handed. Like many lefties, I learned to do a lot of things right-handed because of the world when I was a kid. Learned to swing a club right-handed because my dad's old clubs in the garage were rightie. Learned to throw a ball right-handed because the only baseball gloves in the garage fit on my left hand. And everyone else was being taught skills like that right-handed, so I just sorta went along.

As a result, my right arm is stronger than my left, but I use my left for basically any "detail work" task I need. 

I wonder if there are any compensations that someone like me should make to better utilize my natural left-hand and left-eyed dominance? 

Even beyond that, although it's way too late in life to switch to a left-handed full swing, I wonder if it would be helpful to simply buy a left-handed putter and teach myself to putt leftie?

Interestingly enough I putt quite well left handed.  I also shoot rifles and pistols well left handed.  I’m not especially ambidextrous so I attribute that to the cross dominance.  

Will give this a go:

- Handicap:  Don't know, don't play much, inconsistent, but when playing well high 70s, can lose game to mid 80s

- Grip:  Arnold Palmer style "alternating overlap" but with thumbs side by side.  I like how hands are almost even so shoulders are almost level.  SNSR Contour 140cc grip.  Index fingers pointing down on sides of grip.  Weird but feels good.

- Line on ball:  Only on longer putts maybe 10 ft and out to help align starting path.  Prefer to turn ball to a clear spot on shorter putts, no line or logo.

- Stance:  Squareish, inside shoulder width, hip bend similar to full swing, not hunched, eyes inside ball, elbows bent and relaxed.

- Aim:  Short putts I break the cup into left 1/3, center 1/3, right 1/3 (heard Faldo say this and it stuck).  I try to envision high point and speed.

- Preshot routine:  Needs work.  1-2 practice strokes. One looking at target, one looking down like the real stroke.

- Putting thought/intent:  After picturing where I want to roll the ball, the only things I intend are center contact and a really smooth stroke.  My putting is always best when doing these 2 things well.  If my motion looks smooth, my roll is smooth.  Love having a putter dot on the top line to envision center contact.

- Stroke style:  Almost like a belly putter, shaft points to my spine back and through, probably equally long back and through, no forward press, no pushing of hands, no thinking of length of stroke, just go by instinct.  I really like this centered rotating stroke without an actual belly putter.  Inspired by Zach Johnson when I used a SeeMore putter.  Experimenting with hovering the putter to start the stroke.

No data, but putting has been a lot better when having those intents and this stroke, to the point I'll choose putter off the green when I never would have before.

D1 Cobra LTDx, OG HZ Black 62 6.5 D2 TM R510TP, 757X 3W OG Ping Rapture, OG HZ Black 75 6.0 20°H Ping G20, CTLX 5I Cobra F9, CTLX 5I-PW Mizuno MP-54, CTLX GW Nike VPC, V120X 54, 60 CBX Zipcore, V120X Cure RX4, CX3. WITB Link. CAD Designs on IG @joostin.golf

i just try to hit the ball in the sweet spot and get it to roll true as quickly as possible. there are a lot of ways to do this and sometimes the best way changes based on how i feel. i try to keep my baseline stroke as simple as possible and make adjustments as necessary. i try to build my setup like i do for the rest of my clubs and keep the grip (interlocking) as similar as possible. i practice a lot of 3'-8' putts. i feel like if i can keep the ball on line for 5' i can do the same for 25'. still have lots of room for improvement but confident in my stroke.

18 hours ago, nitram said:

I spent the past year working harder on my putting then anything else. I saw my putting average going from 26-27 PPR to 30 or more and it was a two-fold issue. One was my stoke was getting really 'pushy' and I wasn't getting a true roll on the ball. The second and more important issue was I wasn't reading greens as well as I used to. I was under-reading break or worse, couldn't match the line and speed any longer. Then I started to over-think the whole thing and having been a total feel player for 40 years, I knew I was 'losing it'. I tried a different putter or four. I tried a Super Stoke grip. I tried LHL, the Claw, etc. Read Pelz' Putting Bible again and a few other things too embarrassing to mention. The more I tried the worse it got. What was once a strength was now a liability. After a 37- putt 84 I said enough of this BS.

So I basically started the year from scratch. I went back to my blade putter of 14 years and the grip I've used since learning the game. The only thing I do different now is I set my right foot back from the line about 2-inches at set up. The putter blade is in the center of my stance. This has taken the push out of the putts and has the unlined ball rolling truer. Also, I use a gated stroke that closely resembles Utley's method sans the grip.

For green reading I tried the Aimpoint and it has it's good points but nothing is a substitute for rolling putts on a green and seeing how it works. Or taking the time to look at a putt from all sides, especially the low point to get a better idea on the start line and high point of the putt. I mainly play on Bermuda. So while it's a moving scale of break when the grass isn't dormant, it is a great training ground for other grasses and it's a simple matter of using more or less "borrow' and a speed adjustment whenever I travel.

So the above is what has borne out thru an exhaustive process to work the best for me. In 2020 I played 212 rounds of golf and averaged 26.1 PPR. The most important thing I can say to you is find the tool and stroke that works best for you. We all process this golf thing a little differently than everyone else. But for the sake of your game and mental health I implore you to find a professional putting instructor and have him evaluate your stroke. Then have an adult discussion about what will make you better. Afterwards its up to you to decide if you believe it. If you do, you have a benchmark and plan to improve. If not, you can/will remain in putter purgatory until you somehow stumble upon/figure out how to roll the ball true and better than you are now. It also helps to focus on the roll, rather than the hole. Good Luck.

Interesting!  I don't do a lot of experimenting or changing but I had the same feeling last season - was "pushing" my putts vs. hitting them, almost like I was dragging the ball with the putter, even though I probably wasn't, at least that way of looking at it makes sense to me.  Also noticed the length of putter I've always had since getting as tall as I would get might be a bit too short based on how my left hand wanted to sit  . . . .  so new putter in the works (why not?) . . . . going for a just a little bit longer and take a little pressure off the back, but mostly going back to a blade instead of a big mallet, and with a lighter head and a shaft that may be a little bit "livelier", so we'll see.

• Like 1

The main thing for me Hawk was I'd lost the feel for how to put a true roll on the ball. I knew until I was able to do that everything else was an exercise in futility. So I took my Mitchell Club Ruler and placed a ball with a line on it at the end. And I rolled and rolled a ball until I could make it go off the other end without the line bobbling. One of the most tedious things I've done in my life! But in the end I've eliminated the compensations I'd acquired thru time and have a better, more solid and dependable stroke. It's very liberating to know where the ball is going and to finally be missing more from the 'pro' side as opposed to the other.

I can empathize about the longer putter and back relief. I had to use the personal "jackhammer" everyday after each marathon putting session. I sincerely hope it works for you. 🍻

• Like 1

Just now, nitram said:

The main thing for me Hawk was I'd lost the feel for how to put a true roll on the ball. I knew until I was able to do that everything else was an exercise in futility. So I took my Mitchell Club Ruler and placed a ball with a line on it at the end. And I rolled and rolled a ball until I could make it go off the other end without the line bobbling. One of the most tedious things I've done in my life! But in the end I've eliminated the compensations I'd acquired thru time and have a better, more solid and dependable stroke. It's very liberating to know where the ball is going and to finally be missing more from the 'pro' side as opposed to the other.

I can empathize about the longer putter and back relief. I had to use the personal "jackhammer" everyday after each marathon putting session. I sincerely hope it works for you. 🍻

What made me notice the "slogging" issue was getting out my PuttOut trainer and hitting some putts to that inside. Of course, it reveals issues with true roll as well, lol, and that always needs attention here!

• Like 1

I would say my putting "style" most closely matches those described by @Hawkeye77

I found out the other day that one of my main golfing buddies used to be a registered Edel fitter. So some point this week we're going to get together and do a "fitting" since he still has most of the stuff. This is for no other reason than because why not. Will be interesting to see if the putter I feel most comfortable with (having had and tried a lot) is actually a good fit for me.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2021 at 8:11 PM, TravAz said:

My putting journey over the past 4 months or so:

1.) The video below changed everything for me. I did the test at around 2:45, and realized for the first time in my life that my eyes had to be *outside* the ball line for the alignment to make sense for me

2.) Once that clicked, the fairly bent over stance allowed me to perform what feels to me like pretty straight back\through stroke. 

3.) These required 2 equipment changes. I did a putter fitting and ended up with a 33.5 inch putter (I'm 6'2) that had the slightest amount of toe hang. I went with a ping that's adjustable in case I need to tweak in the future. 

4.) I read greens exclusively with aimpoint express + my gut for grain influence. I never "look" at what a putt is going to do because I can't trust my eyes as much as my feel. 

5.) Arccos has me at a 4.5hcp with putting at -1.5 sg vs scratch currently, but I have rounds as high as +5.  I feel like I am going to make everything I look at under 20ft with a reasonable amount of break. Obviously I don't, but I do feel that way. 

6.) I never practice putting, but I do spend alot of time on the green calibrating distance before a round on a course other than the one I play regularly. 

7.) I had switched to a really firm ball for more distance off the tee, but my putter is already super hard too - noticed over the past week I putt much better with a softer ball. 

The guy on the right in the picture shown is my head pro. 

James Jankowski has done several putting clinics at our club over the years. 

• Like 1

As a better player (+3), I have also labelled my putting as a weak point, even though I'm probably not a bad putter. I switch putters often and over the last 2 years, I have been trying to pinpoint what works best for me. Eye position, shaft angle, grip, toe hang, alignment line, stance, etc. I try and find something I like or don't like in a putter and I've been working towards my "perfect putter". So far, I tend to putt better with face balanced mallets due to my straight back straight through stroke. I like having the alignment line on the top where it reaches the ball. 34" seems to be my sweet spot for length and I like either the slim superstrokes or the matador grips. I've tried about all the grips possible and while I like the crosshanded mechanics and how it aligns my shoulders, a conventional "baseball" grip is best for my distance feel. My stance has historically been open, but I'm in the process of changing that (subconsciously my left foot moves back when I settle my feet). As for stroke length, I like the philosophy of having the same tempo for every putt, but changing the distance the putter travels for distance control. 

• I use a Scotty Cameron Newport at 35" long and 70' lie with no sight lines or dots
  • 'Normal' reverse overlap grip
  • Ball under my left eye (right-handed and left eye dominant) 
  • I read all putts from the low side
  • I work out where I see the ball falling into the hole and I work back from there
  • Occasionally use a line on the ball (generally if I'm having a bad day on the greens) generally I just like looking at the white ball
  • I don't do practice strokes, I walk up to it and my entire focus is on where I see the ball falling in.  I don't consciously line it up.  Then I just stroke it. 

As to why I do it this way, it's because I've worked out that's how I do it best.  Too many distractions such as a big headed mallet or line up lines and I find my attention is too much on the putter and the ball and not enough on the target. I seem to do it better if I do it almost sub-consciously.  Rotella would be proud! 

Edited by jumboross
  • Like 1

Callaway Rogue St Max LS 9'
Titleist 915F 3 Wood Aldila Rogue Silver 70 15
Callaway Apex Pro 24 3,4,5 iron
Callaway Apex Pro CB 6 - 11 iron 
Vokey SM8 x 2
Scotty Cameron Newport

I use a reverse overlap grip.  My instructor, David Orr, has said that my putting stroke was built to power the putter with both arms instead of one arm doing most of the powering over the other.  Ball position is slightly forward of middle...I try to have the gap between the putter head and the ball at my zipper line.  I get a little right lateral bend at address.  This helps with producing an upward hit on the ball, but the main problem is that it's easy to move my center of gravity and that can cause mis-hits.

I don't really focus on it, but I would want either an equal length backstroke and follow thru or the follow thru shorter than the backstroke.  My stance usually gets a tad bit open and the path goes a little left when I'm putting well.  When I'm not putting well the path goes too far to the left.

I used to putt far better on left-to-right breaking putts than right-to-left breaking putts, but since my lesson with David in 2018, it's the opposite.  I find the issue on left-to-right putts is that I can't quite commit and I try to steer the ball instead of putting it at the target.

I now use a light putter by today's standards.  It's a 330 gram head, stepped shaft and a 37 gram Sacks Parente grip.  I think putter heads are too heavy for me these days.  I grip the club in the fingers and that means that weight and stiffness in the handle works terribly for me.  I need a lighter handle and a softer putter shaft.

I found that visualizing a line going from the ball to the target causes me to aim too far to the right.  When I started to go from the target to the ball my aim improved immensely.  

I don't use the line on my ball and I don't try to be too particular with my aim.  Instead, I try to adjust myself and the putter to the point where I feel I can toll the ball over the target.  I'm amazed how well that works, even when I measure myself on SAM Puttlab.

To me I think the key for any golfer is that they need to work on both left-to-right and right-to-left breaking putts.  They will undoubtedly have a bias between which ones they make more often.  And the key is to not only work on both types of breaking putts so you become adept at making them...but to figure out which one gives you the most trouble and take the necessary steps so you can make both types of breaking putts the same amount.  The relatively straight putts are going to be easier to make unless you don't read those putts properly.

I try to be very conscious of speed.  A few years ago I started to eliminate my practice strokes.  What I've found is that I tend to hit putts too firmly without a routine and hit them too softly with a practice stroke routine.  

RH

• Like 1

I spend 60-90 min on the putting green a couple times a week.  I hit mostly 10, 20, 30, 40 and 50 ft putts uphill, downhill, sidehill from both sides.  Three balls, but only one goes to a particular hole, like 20, 40 and 30.  On long breaking putts, I try to leave the ball above the hole and a little short, maybe 6 inches or so, just to practice the speed.  Harder than you'd think.

The line I visualize is what you might see on a heavy dew morning.  No practice stroke, no ball alignment line. Longer backstroke than follow through.  On short putts, 3-4 ft or so, I want take the break out as much as I can.  

Seems to work for me.