2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am 2021

MattyO1984

Scott McNealy (Maverick's Dad), founder of SUNW for those old enough to remember to good old 90s stock market boom and crash, used to go on the record saying that his kids (Maverick!) had to share bedrooms...seemed really down to earth and humble, and it was a nice change...especially having gone to private school in NYC and now living in LA.

Then I saw the house they had to share a bedroom in:

https://www.businessinsider.com/sun-microsystems-cofounder-scott-mcnealy-asking-100-million-palo-alto-home-2018-6#the-house-has-a-traditional-slightly-rustic-vibe-4

Cut the crap!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There's a "richer" kid than this Mav doing quite well in another country club sport over in Australia now...

Jessica Pegula.  She's into the quarterfinals @ the Aussie Open....  https://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/id/30902869/jessica-pegula-daughter-bills-sabres-owners-quarterfinals-australian-open

Does McNealy play the Maverick line in Driver still?

• Like 1

BAG ONE:                                                                                                   BAG TWO:
D - Callaway Rogue ST Max D                                               - Cobra F9 Tour Length  

5 -  Ping G425 Max 5(16.5)                                                    3 -  TEE C721 Pro 3 HL(16.5)

H - Callaway Mav P (18) Titleist TS2 (21)                              H - TM SF 2.0 (18) & (21)

I -  Titleist T300 4                                                                   I -  Taylormade SIM Max 4      
I -  Titleist T100 5-P/MR KK TiNi 105                                     I -  Taylormade P760 5-P/Recoils 110 F4

W - Vokey SM8 52, Vokey SM6 58                                        W - Vokey SM8 52, Vokey SM6 58 
P - Bellum Winmore Midi  787                                                - Guerin TS Black 370

2 hours ago, manku said:

Scott McNealy (Maverick's Dad), founder of SUNW for those old enough to remember to good old 90s stock market boom and crash, used to go on the record saying that his kids (Maverick!) had to share bedrooms...seemed really down to earth and humble, and it was a nice change...especially having gone to private school in NYC and now living in LA.

https://www.businessinsider.com/sun-microsystems-cofounder-scott-mcnealy-asking-100-million-palo-alto-home-2018-6#the-house-has-a-traditional-slightly-rustic-vibe-4

Cut the crap!

LOL

Kids shared a bedroom so the parents can hold a large party amongst hedge fund millionaires. 

Brilliant last round by Berger. Horrendous tantrum by Lashley. Odd week for Cantlay. And another false dawn for Spieth. The coverage showed far more of the course. I do laugh when they say "public" course. 18 holes and a buggy $620. I live near a top 100 UK course and their annual subscription is just north of $750....

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, elwhippy said:

Brilliant last round by Berger. Horrendous tantrum by Lashley. Odd week for Cantlay. And another false dawn for Spieth. The coverage showed far more of the course. I do laugh when they say "public" course. 18 holes and a buggy $620. I live near a top 100 UK course and their annual subscription is just north of $750....

That's very cheap, may I ask where? Ours is 995 and capped at 410 active members. Tankersley pk. S yorks.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, elwhippy said:

It is a public course. What do you want them to say? “Very expensive public course”? It’s one of the most iconic courses in the world on land where a house will easily cost over $25 million dollars! No comparison to some top 100 course in the UK sorry. 

Good win for Berger. He seemed to fall away completely around 2017. He could have ended up in the abyss like Smylie K but clearly, he has massively turned it around now. It would not be a surprise to see him teeing it up at Whistling Straits this autumn. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

Jordan Spieth still cant drive straight when the pressure is on,driving all over the place yesterday,wont win again until he can sort out his driver problems.Hard to win if you are playing the 2nd shot from rough nearly all the time.

People berating Lashley,obviously never played the game seriously if four putting a green might not bring out some sort of emotion and anger in you as well,nevermind if it was blowing your chance of winning at Pebble Beach!

Berger the most improved player the last two years,outstanding consistency.

Edited by Chris52

12 hours ago, deadsolid...shank said:

With what others have done in the past have they ever been suspended?  A fine no doubt, but suspension or DQ?

To my knowledge no, I don’t think Sergio was DQd in the sand box a couple years ago. But the Tour could set a zero tolerance precedent for itself and the game going forward. Nate is a relatively no name player and I doubt the Tour would receive much criticism for coming down too heavy on him, if that makes sense? (Rules aren’t always applied equally). It might be a story for a couple days then it would be forgotten by everyone except the players, “oh yeah I mess up the course, I’ll be hit in the pocketbook” Very rarely is a player damaging the course ever an issue but when it is it needs to be dealt with harshly and quickly. 

• Like 1

Why all the hate towards McNealy?  Did he ever say or do something stupid?  Yeah, he grew up in a wealthy family and lived comfortably.  So what.  His dad founded a company that contributed to the growth of an industry and the economy in general.  There are a lot worse ways to make a bunch of money.

Rich or not playing at this level is not easy.  Maverick likely has more determination and dedication than most who don't end up as far to the right in the distribution (of skill/outcomes) as he has.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, TIScape said:

It is a public course. What do you want them to say? “Very expensive public course”? It’s one of the most iconic courses in the world on land where a house will easily cost over $25 million dollars! No comparison to some top 100 course in the UK sorry. 

They could call it a Resort course. That's what it really is.

• Like 1

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

7 hours ago, manku said:

Cut the crap!

Ah it was Sun Microsystems acquired by Oracle in 2009. I remember seeing Scott McNealy on cnbc a fair amount back in the 90s.

Well seems like he raised a good kid with a good work ethic. 

Edited by BlackDiamondPar5
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, BNGL said:

To my knowledge no, I don’t think Sergio was DQd in the sand box a couple years ago. But the Tour could set a zero tolerance precedent for itself and the game going forward. Nate is a relatively no name player and I doubt the Tour would receive much criticism for coming down too heavy on him, if that makes sense? (Rules aren’t always applied equally). It might be a story for a couple days then it would be forgotten by everyone except the players, “oh yeah I mess up the course, I’ll be hit in the pocketbook” Very rarely is a player damaging the course ever an issue but when it is it needs to be dealt with harshly and quickly. 

I agree 100%, they could issue punishment on him and 99% of people would never even know. It’s a good way to show that they take things seriously without really impacting their drawing power by doing something to a “name” player. 

I actually figured a fine was likely, my main question was addressing the post that said he should be banned. If  a player ever been banned, suspended, or even DQ’ed for act like this?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TIScape said:

I get it, and I am all for the capitalist system, but while PB is a "public" course, it is cost prohibitive for many golfers. They could cut their greens fees in half and still earn a boat load of money. I don't mind people making profits, but I am not too keen on gouging either. Yeah, I get the supply/demand thing too. That said, just because there is a product in great demand that is no reason to take extreme advantage of it. 

A friend of mine played PB last year...he was able to play for free...and he said it was just a beautiful place to play a round of golf and thoroughly enjoyed it. 

2 minutes ago, Sean2 said:

I get it, and I am all for the capitalist system, but while PB is a "public" course, it is cost prohibitive for many golfers. They could cut their greens fees in half and still earn a boat load of money. I don't mind people making profits, but I am not too keen on gouging either. Yeah, I get the supply/demand thing too. That said, just because there is a product in great demand that is no reason to take extreme advantage of it. 

A friend of mine played PB last year...he was able to play for free...and he said it was just a beautiful place to play a round of golf and thoroughly enjoyed it. 

One of those places that I always thought I would want to head over to and play when I am older but now, I am not so bothered. There are many more places that I would like to visit than Pebble. The whole thing about how good it is just seems to forced. It’s possibly the fault of Nantz with  him droning on about how beautiful the place is constantly. Let the picture tell the story Jim!

• Like 4

Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

1 minute ago, MattyO1984 said:

One of those places that I always thought I would want to head over to and play when I am older but now, I am not so bothered. There are many more places that I would like to visit than Pebble. The whole thing about how good it is just seems to forced. It’s possibly the fault of Nantz with  him droning on about how beautiful the place is constantly. Let the picture tell the story Jim!

When my friend was there, he said the course was packed and it was a 5 hour+ round. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sean2 said:

When my friend was there, he said the course was packed and it was a 5 hour+ round. 

That’s just making it go even further down my list 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

2 hours ago, Chris52 said:

Jordan Spieth still cant drive straight when the pressure is on,driving all over the place yesterday,wont win again until he can sort out his driver problems.Hard to win if you are playing the 2nd shot from rough nearly all the time.

People berating Lashley,obviously never played the game seriously if four putting a green might not bring out some sort of emotion and anger in you as well,nevermind if it was blowing your chance of winning at Pebble Beach!

Berger the most improved player the last two years,outstanding consistency.

Yep.  I agree with you.  And I was NOT pulling for Lashley.  But id have snapped my putter on that one.  I know me.  And it would have took a very quick thought to stop me from it.  As you said you have to consider context.  For a journeyman mortgaged to the hilt to win pebble , is more pressure than a millionaire super star  to win it.  He was under the type pressure that turns coal into  diamonds. 

Edited by bladehunter
  • Like 2

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

14 minutes ago, deadsolid...shank said:

I agree 100%, they could issue punishment on him and 99% of people would never even know. It’s a good way to show that they take things seriously without really impacting their drawing power by doing something to a “name” player. 

I actually figured a fine was likely, my main question was addressing the post that said he should be banned. If  a player ever been banned, suspended, or even DQ’ed for act like this?

I’m not sure if a player has ever been banned. Sergio was DQ’d by the Euro Tour for his actions (way worse than Nate’s I’ll grant you) in Saudi. So there would be precedent, but really there doesn’t need to be.

The Tour could release a statement saying, “We the the Tour, Players Advisory Council, and Competitions Committee will not tolerate any of our members deliberately destroying the integrity of the host facility. We understand that we are guests at most facilities and need to act accordingly to leave the host facility in shape for members and guests to return to their property and find it in good shape. As a result we will be suspending Nate Lashely for one event (next event he’s eligible for), along with a fine of an undisclosed amount for conduct unbecoming of a professional.” 

I know DL3 was fined heavily when he busted a sprinkler head Bay Hill. But not suspension or disqualification. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MattyO1984 said:

Places like pebble to me are only truly enjoyed by the folks who live there. Or play tournament golf there.     They get the private time on that course.  A 5-6 hour round watching someone shoot 126 in front of me would not be enjoyable. It would be absolutely horrible to pay that much and have to play the “ hurry up and wait “ game .   I have no time set to go .  

• Like 4

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

4 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Yep.  I agree with you.  And I was NOT pulling for Lashley.  But id have snapped my putter on that one.  I know me.  And it would have took a very quick thought to stop me from it.  As you said you have to consider context.  For a journeyman mortgaged to the hilt to win pebble , is more pressure than a millionaire super star  to win it.  He was under the type pressure that turns coal into  diamonds. 

Brings back these memories 🙂

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, bladehunter said:

Places like pebble to me are only truly enjoyed by the folks who live there. Or play tournament golf there.     They get the private time on that course.  A 5-6 hour round watching someone shoot 126 in front of me would not be enjoyable. It would be absolutely horrible to pay that much and have to play the “ hurry up and wait “ game .   I have no time set to go .  

I'd gladly go to watch a pro tournament but beyond that I have no desire to get caught up and buy into the hype of playing there.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BNGL said:

I’m not sure if a player has ever been banned. Sergio was DQ’d by the Euro Tour for his actions (way worse than Nate’s I’ll grant you) in Saudi. So there would be precedent, but really there doesn’t need to be.

The Tour could release a statement saying, “We the the Tour, Players Advisory Council, and Competitions Committee will not tolerate any of our members deliberately destroying the integrity of the host facility. We understand that we are guests at most facilities and need to act accordingly to leave the host facility in shape for members and guests to return to their property and find it in good shape. As a result we will be suspending Nate Lashely for one event (next event he’s eligible for), along with a fine of an undisclosed amount for conduct unbecoming of a professional.” 

I know DL3 was fined heavily when he busted a sprinkler head Bay Hill. But not suspension or disqualification. 

Suspending the guy for this one thing would be an over reaction to me. Was it completely asshat stupid? Definitely. Will he be doing it again? Wouldn’t bet on it. Fine him and move on.

• Like 2

Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023