WGC Workday Championship at The Concession 2021

MattyO1984

Just now, BC33 said:

Noticed Peter Jacobson wasn’t on the broadcast.  Did NBC replace him with Wood?  If so, grade A upgrade.

Jake doesn’t do every tournament, just a few

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

34 minutes ago, farmer said:

The Concession looks like a miserable member course.  One of those places where folks discuss their disasters post-round.

I don't think it's as bad as it looks. 98% of people are going to play the ~500 yard tees and lay up on the par 5s rather than hitting 220+ yard hero shots. Also the greens are slower + softer on a normal day, no doubt.

Edited by tw_focus

28 minutes ago, tw_focus said:

I don't think it's as bad as it looks. 98% of people are going to play the ~500 yard tees and lay up on the par 5s rather than hitting 220+ yard hero shots. Also the greens are slower + softer on a normal day, no doubt.

yeah, very few members playing from 7400, I would think. 🙂

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

1 hour ago, tw_focus said:

I was reading an article earlier today and they were saying it has a reputation of being a really tuff course for the members. 

Edited by TIScape

7 hours ago, tw_focus said:

Just because you play it from the appropriate tees doesn't mean it still won't be a slog.  I'm enjoying watching the tournament because the way the course sets up can make for a pretty volatile leaderboard which should keep viewer interest but IDK if its one I'd enjoy playing.

• Like 1

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

10 hours ago, BC33 said:

Noticed Peter Jacobson wasn’t on the broadcast.  Did NBC replace him with Wood?  If so, grade A upgrade.

Could have sworn I heard Jake on Thursday or Friday calling it on GC.

I know everyone seems to love Bones McKay as an on-course commentator but John Wood surpassed him first time out and is already the best in that department. A great addition.

I quite like watching the pros play this course. Seeing them having to hit out of palmetto bushes after errant drives, and trying to go for the flag on 13 and not only failing, but then being baffled by trying to get on the green from over the back is very entertaining.

• Thanks 1

So to start the week I thought this course looked nice.  I enjoy a hard course.  Love undulated greens.  Etc. 

but.  After a few days watching. There’s a lot of Mickey Mouse traps here that makes Me know I’d hate it.  13 alone is enough.  Who builds a green that is impossible to hit on a par 5?   I’m watching shot after shot land pin high and bound over the back.  Then all to a collection area. Then chip up and roll back to your feet from near pin high.  That’s just trash design.  That’s the kind of thing that gets a sand wedge buried hosel deep in a green.  Well past proper test and into impossible on purpose territory.  Not a fan of turtle back greens in general. But that one is a box turtle.  For those that don’t know , it’s shell is peaked  sharply and has zero flat spots on it.  The putting surface is about 4 feet square in reality. 

Edited by bladehunter
  • Like 3

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

45 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

So to start the week I thought this course looked nice.  I enjoy a hard course.  Love undulated greens.  Etc. 

but.  After a few days watching. There’s a lot of Mickey Mouse traps here that makes Me know I’d hate it.  13 alone is enough.  Who builds a green that is impossible to hit on a par 5?   I’m watching shot after shot land pin high and bound over the back.  Then all to a collection area. Then chip up and roll back to your feet from near pin high.  That’s just trash design.  That’s the kind of thing that gets a sand wedge buried hosel deep in a green.  Well past proper test and into impossible on purpose territory.  Not a fan of turtle back greens in general. But that one is a box turtle.  For those that don’t know , it’s shell is peaked  sharply and has zero flat spots on it.  The putting surface is about 4 feet square in reality. 

I've been in and out so I can't say I've seen what is being referenced, but are the shots you are referring to 2nd shots or third shots?

9 minutes ago, golfortennis said:

I've been in and out so I can't say I've seen what is being referenced, but are the shots you are referring to 2nd shots or third shots?

Both.  Sometimes 4th from the  back of the green.  

doesnt matter. Webb hit a towering hybrid second that landed pin high and never sniffed staying on the green.  So that’s jack saying that his 1 iron can’t be played into that par 5.  Cause it wouldn’t hold either.  And I m a jack fan. But that green is stupid  to me.  

layup and then hit the 3rd over and make a 6 or 7 ?  It’s pretty much up to dumb luck.  Not skill. 

Edited by bladehunter

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

8 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Both.  Sometimes 4th from the  back of the green.  

doesnt matter. Webb hit a towering hybrid second that landed pin high and never sniffed staying on the green.  So that’s jack saying that his 1 iron can’t be played into that par 5.  Cause it wouldn’t hold either.  And I m a jack fan. But that green is stupid  to me.  

layup and then hit the 3rd over and make a 6 or 7 ?  It’s pretty much up to dumb luck.  Not skill. 

Well a par 5 green isn't designed to accept shots from 250 yds away.  You need to account for that.  Just because you can hit it that far doesn't mean you get to have the red carpet rolled out.

If the green won't hold third shots with a wedge, then yes we have a problem.  BUt even at that, play short and roll it up.  It's how the game is played in Scotland.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, farmer said:

The Concession looks like a miserable member course.  One of those places where folks discuss their disasters post-round.

I think it looks awesome, would love to be a member there.

So many boring easy wide open courses; you become a better golfer being a member of a hard course.

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

14 minutes ago, scott_Donald said:

I think it looks awesome, would love to be a member there.

So many boring easy wide open courses; you become a better golfer being a member of a hard course.

Yes.  The only caveat I would put is courses where lost balls are extremely common.  I've played some courses that were great, but you couldn't miss the fairway by much and you are reloading. 

You can have a hard course without having balls disappear every time you pay a price for a missed shot.  

35 minutes ago, golfortennis said:

Well a par 5 green isn't designed to accept shots from 250 yds away.  You need to account for that.  Just because you can hit it that far doesn't mean you get to have the red carpet rolled out.

If the green won't hold third shots with a wedge, then yes we have a problem.  BUt even at that, play short and roll it up.  It's how the game is played in Scotland.

Sometimes you have to hit the shot that is required, not the one you want to hit. 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, golfortennis said:

That was part of my gripe. I don’t think that green has a roll up option.  Bunkers in front.  

the play in my eyes is to hit it over the green into the rough on purpose and try to lob it to the pin.    So into the gallery. Or front bunker on purpose and pray.  

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

11 minutes ago, dalehead said:

Sometimes you have to hit the shot that is required, not the one you want to hit. 

Cant believe none of these guy had the brains to lay up on that hole. Not one.

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

12 minutes ago, dalehead said:

What’s the shot to hit then ?  I haven’t seen success on that hole.  

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

2 hours ago, bladehunter said:

Rory made eagle on 13 yesterday, so it must not be impossible.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

21 hours ago, tungstenplug said:

There are a handful of players in the field, maybe 10, whom I've never heard of before this week. It's interesting that all of them are at the very bottom of the leaderboard. Makes you wonder if the right guys are getting in to this field and where in that process things went wrong

Just goes to show you that the PGA Tour is home to the best players in the world. The WGC events as a whole as sanctioned by the International Federation of PGA Tours, so its not just The PGA Tour or European Tour, it also includes the Australasian Tour, The Japan Tour, The Asian Tour, and the Sunshine Tour. I am not sure how it works but usually the leading money winner on those tours gets an invite, and while they are great players (I went to Asia with a buddy, got worked) they are not up to the standard of PGA Tour Players. 

On 2/25/2021 at 11:23 AM, manku said:

Do people ever bother to read, and understand, posts?

I  NEVER said anything about playing golf!

PS.  Agree regarding weather here...but Hawaii golf trumps all.

I think you were responding to Mitchellgolfing but only my quote showed up. I’m like, why they made at me. I read the posts! Lol

Edited by TIScape

1 hour ago, golfortennis said:

Yes.  The only caveat I would put is courses where lost balls are extremely common.  I've played some courses that were great, but you couldn't miss the fairway by much and you are reloading. 

You can have a hard course without having balls disappear every time you pay a price for a missed shot.  

You wouldn't like my home course then, when the rough is up if you miss the fairway(narrow) then you loose a ball. It was where the original 5 minute rule for looking for lost balls was introduced!

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

2 minutes ago, scott_Donald said:

You wouldn't like my home course then, when the rough is up if you miss the fairway(narrow) then you loose a ball. It was where the original 5 minute rule for looking for lost balls was introduced!

Lol.  Rough is a bit of a different story.  I meant more water hazards or thick brush/forest, but point is taken.