Stories of reform

userpick21

Every year, I hope to buckle down, find the set for me and just play, but every year I tinker needlessly. I started this year with 13 new clubs. Does it show in my scores? Nope, it’s just how I pass the time when I can’t play due to weather. 

So I was wondering, does anyone have a story of “club ho” reform? How’d you get there? Did you truly find something special or just grow out of it? How long did it last?

• Like 1

I've bought 20 sets of irons, 10-15 drivers, 20+ putters, wedges, FW's, etc.......

My scores always stayed within 5 shots. 

I put my old irons, driver, putter back in play last year and stuck with it most of the year. Scores didn't change drastically, but I had more confidence in my distances and a nice feel with my old putter.

This spring, I've stuck with my old stuff and I'm going to work on my swing this year. For me, new equipment was fun but I never got used to it before I would grab something else. I think I'm pretty much set now and won't be buying any new clubs.  

• Like 3

Ping G410 Driver

TM 200 Steel 3W

Lynx Parallax 3-SW

Ping Eye 2 SW

Nike VR Forged 60

Maltby PTM 1

I had played with the set I bought in '97 until last summer. Granted I was playing once or twice a year, at best until then. 

First month in I upgraded my irons and my game showed. I upgraded 2 months later, and more improvement. It's been 6 months, I am on my 2nd shaft in my 3rd set of irons AND I just bought a set of BGD irons (because I said I was gonna).

3 drivers, 4 fairway woods, 5 wedges, 5 hybrids, and I MIGHT be done if I get the 22* GAPR Hi or Mid. But I also might swap the shafts in the BGD's. Then, maybe I am done.

I feel like a combo of my playing frequently (3 days a week usually) and my iron upgrades have both contributed to my HUGE improvement in my overall game. Am I back to scratch? Nope, but I am a lot closer than I was. 

Once I am happy with my daily bag, I will keep it set for a while, likely. I have come to grips with the fact I might end up with 3 sets of irons and that's ok. But it's been a crazy 6 months and I'm glad my wife doesn't look at the transaction history. 🤣

I have also made money on every resell (bought end of last season, sold at start of this). It's an interesting journey, for sure. And I really think I'm close.

<edit> I am buying used and it isn't much money. Like $100 a paycheck. Example: I saw a KZG forged CB 3 iron head on eBay for $30. I add it to my watch list. A few days later, seller sends me an offer for $25. Hmm, I say $22. Deal. Next thing I know I have a 3-PW CB set and a 7-PW set of forged Blades to make the best combo ever for an average of $20/head from 3 different eBay sellers. And yet they are the best thing I've hit to date.  KZG heads usually retail for about $150 each, but the resale is awful.

Edited by lefthack
  • Like 1

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

The key for me was finding a different hobby/interest to shift your focus and/or money to.  That is what has helped me.

Then again I just finished building an iron set I've been piecing together for a few months for a short set.

My main bag is set for the year, though.

Callaway Rogue SubZero 9* 

TEE CBX 119 4wd 16.5*

Wilson Staff FG Tour F5 3h 19*

Wilson Staff C300 Forged 4i

Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 5-GW

Scratch 56* DS

Toulon Atlanta

1 hour ago, kwcsports said:

I've bought 20 sets of irons, 10-15 drivers, 20+ putters, wedges, FW's, etc.......

My scores always stayed within 5 shots. 

I put my old irons, driver, putter back in play last year and stuck with it most of the year. Scores didn't change drastically, but I had more confidence in my distances and a nice feel with my old putter.

This spring, I've stuck with my old stuff and I'm going to work on my swing this year. For me, new equipment was fun but I never got used to it before I would grab something else. I think I'm pretty much set now and won't be buying any new clubs.  

Hahahaha!!!! Spoken like a true club Ho! 😉  

• Like 1

Reform? Heck no.  I tried it awhile ago and it didn't take.  Over the last few months I purchased enough to fill three bags.  They're all hand picked, used or lightly used, and they fit different times in my golfing life when things really clicked for me.  I don't really feel bad about all the clubs either because the whole lot still cost less than getting fitted for a brand new set...

Driver PING G SF Tec

Wood PING G (18.5*)

Irons PING G30 (6-SW)

Putter PING DS72 2021 (35")

Bag Jones Classic Stand

Cart Clicgear 3.5+

I tinkered a little, like most on here, but when I got SkyTrak I REALLY began to tinker. After awhile, I would find a club, amongst the hysteria & noise of packages arriving at the house, that would immediately click and have lasting success. I slowly began to narrow down those best ones and eventually sold off all the rest. I've been steady for almost 3 years on that same equipment now.

Edited by A.Princey

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

1 hour ago, userpick21 said:

I was worried this was the answer!

All kidding aside I think I'm there. 

I've tried the newer stuff and have concluded that it just hasn't helped very much.  I'm an average guy and for me golf equipment is maxed out. I hit my 10 year old irons as well as any of the new hollow body goo filled irons of today when compared loft-for-loft.  I swing too slow for aerodynamic drivers to make a difference, 5 year old drivers like the 2016 M2 are just as good.

If you have speed maybe it is different.

When I compare different hobbies I've had:

Camera lenses -- Typically going from bad to good costs very little.  Good to very good costs a fair amount.  Very good to the best costs a huge amount more.  Each step along the line though you know what you're getting though.

Bicycles -- There's obvious benefit for the money here.  

If I put $1,000 into golf clubs does it really make a difference?  No, in my experience it does not.  The other hobbies above it DOES make a difference though.

Dave

• Like 1

I don't tinker a lot from March to October. From.october to March tho...

I hope I stand firm this coming year. My irons are new. I love my driver combo. My 3wood beats everything I put it up against so I have 2 backups now. I'll replace wedges only because I do that every 18 months or so for fresh grooves. Hybrid may also finally be settled. 

I feel like I'm settled and here's why. It got to be such a pain getting something new, testing it on launch monitors, testing it on the range, then testing it on the course enough to know if it beat what it was looking to replace...and then selling, shipping, etc what I bought just a few weeks earlier. It got to be too much work to test stuff. A big part of it was replacing my irons. Now that I'm a swingweight junkie, replacing them was not as quick and painless as I had imagined. 

So go nuts, you'll just get tired of not seeing much benefit from equipment. Especially once you find a driver and 3wood combo that are money.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, userpick21 said:

Every year, I hope to buckle down, find the set for me and just play, but every year I tinker needlessly. I started this year with 13 new clubs. Does it show in my scores? Nope, it’s just how I pass the time when I can’t play due to weather. 

So I was wondering, does anyone have a story of “club ho” reform? How’d you get there? Did you truly find something special or just grow out of it? How long did it last?

I've gotten better with my hoing.  Driver is the biggest issue though because I have a tendency to gravitate towards the latest and greatest even though tech hasn't changed all that much the last 5 years of so.  I switched to a SIM ti last year to replace my R7 TP ALE which has been in my bag forever.  Last set of irons I played for 10 years and replaced them this year maybe December last year, I can't recall, lol.  I posted a pic of the cracks in my 4 iron so I replaced it with a UDI last month.  I've had my hybrid for a long time.  My wedges I try and replace every 3-5 years.  Putter I've had for 9 years I think.  In the past, I would buy the latest and greatest every 1-2 years.  I haven't completely reformed but I have gotten a lot better. 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

2 hours ago, BogeyParBogey said:

You probably have to hit rock bottom for it to end.  Being here doesn't help.

Dave

This. As long as you’re posting or reading about equipment, you’re gonna buy equipment.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

PING G425 Max 10.5* 

TAYLORMADE Stealth 3HL & 7W

TAYLORMADE  Stealth 22* & 25*

MIZUNO JPX 923 HM 6-AW 

PING Tour Issue Glide 4.0 Raw 54-12

PING Tour Issue Glide 4.0 Raw 58-10

SCOTTY CAMERON Phantom X 5.5

I can’t tell you exactly how I was reformed, I just....was. Something just clicked one day that I wanted one set that I knew and trusted and that was it. I’ve been kicking around selling off all my spare stuff because I just don’t want or need it anymore. Not sure what steps to tell you to take, other than to say that it IS possible. I’ve played more consistently and had more enjoyment since I stopped constantly searching and tinkering and put the ownership of my game solely on me. Not changing equipment took away a huge chunk of the blame game. 

• Like 1

Weather ain’t getting in the way of sound practice. Why not make your skill absolute instead of some random club you hope will lead to proper mechanics. Get fit, it’s something more tangible than a club that’s getting dumped.
 how long are you going to be tired, of being tired type of situation.

Edited by SylvesterLundgren

Ping G400/ Ping tour 65 s

Ping 410 3w / Ping tour 65 s 

Nike VRS covert 5w/ kurokage black s

Titleist 718 T-mb 4 iron / amt white s300

Titleist 716 AP2 5-pw/ amt white s300

Cleveland Rtx4  48(bent to 50)mid, 54 mid, 58 mid / dynamic gold s400

Nike midnight method 006/ Black SS Gt 1.0 w 25g counter core.

Bogeyparbogey..lets stay away from NikonZ and Trek and stick too  cheap upgrades..used golf gear! i just grabbed a 917d3 10.5, sold the shaft so got head and cover for not a lot🙂 915 3wd is a value purchase also...need the 5 wood!

• Like 1

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

The only club or equipment change I've made to that truly improved my game was the switch to single length in 2017.

I was an inconsistent 5 cap who went to a 0 to 1 cap within a season or two. I still tinker with my putter, woods, driver and all the other stuff but I'll likely never switch from SL irons again. It just changed my consistency and proximity to the hole.

Ive been upgrading every year or other year probably for the past 10 years. I think its a good idea to find what you like and experiment untill you know what you trully like and can play with. That being said... most of us just switch just because we like the look and thought of a new club. Since last year i have decided to just be done with the more more more and im at peace with it. I think this peace has come from knowing performance cant get much better and i really have what i like and can play well with. Also at 32 ive just gotten tired of all the switching out. I have a tendency to go on a rampage get my fill then be done and content so this is how i have come to know club sobriety.

I'm also kind of weird in that I am not new to golf, I just haven't looked at new equipment much in the last 20 years. My current iron set is from '01 and don't conform to the groove standards. But they were NOS and everything I read said they were one of the purest feeling forged iron out there. Considering what I spent to build them, they were so totally worth it.

So it wasn't about the latest tech, it was a search for the best feeling and I might have found it in a new old set of forged Japanese irons.

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

2 hours ago, john myrbch said:

This. As long as you’re posting or reading about equipment, you’re gonna buy equipment.

My rock bottom was... i got divorced for having too many clubs around the house... constanly buying and trying selling and even rebuying... allways trying to find that perfrct launch and spin rate... distance... workability and forgivness with looks. Out all day and night at launch monitors.. even banned from some place for being there too long or too much. I just couldnt stop... i forgot about my wife and kids so she left.... and that was when my mom and dad found me in my new small apartment buried under a pile of drivers, hybrids, irons, wedges, putters and balls. I didnt say 3wood because im set on that and i only hit it 2 times maybe a round. They pulled me out of the pile and explained golfs not about what you use but how you use it. I sold it all expect for 3 bags built with the best clubs i thought for me. I got my wife and kids back... along with that im back to shooting my best rounds of 103... lifes good again. Now its just about staying on track.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, iNeedMoreGolf said:

My rock bottom was... i got divorced for having too many clubs around the house... constanly buying and trying selling and even rebuying... allways trying to find that perfrct launch and spin rate... distance... workability and forgivness with looks. Out all day and night at launch monitors.. even banned from some place for being there too long or too much. I just couldnt stop... i forgot about my wife and kids so she left.... and that was when my mom and dad found me in my new small apartment buried under a pile of drivers, hybrids, irons, wedges, putters and balls. I didnt say 3wood because im set on that and i only hit it 2 times maybe a round. They pulled me out of the pile and explained golfs not about what you use but how you use it. I sold it all expect for 3 bags built with the best clubs i thought for me. I got my wife and kids back... along with that im back to shooting my best rounds of 103... lifes good again. Now its just about staying on track.

I thought this story would have a happy ending... but then the wife came back! 😤

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

PING G425 Max 10.5* 

TAYLORMADE Stealth 3HL & 7W

TAYLORMADE  Stealth 22* & 25*

MIZUNO JPX 923 HM 6-AW 

PING Tour Issue Glide 4.0 Raw 54-12

PING Tour Issue Glide 4.0 Raw 58-10

SCOTTY CAMERON Phantom X 5.5

I am not a full blown club ho, but I am on that path. I think what's going to help me is the money I will have to spend to get clubs now. Being a cheapskate will cause me to actually go and hit a club now to see if it actually performs better than my current gamers. 

• Thanks 1

D-Taylormade SIM MAX D Diamana PD 50r

3w- Honma TW-XP1 

17° Adams XTD Ti super hybrid

4h-5h- Tour Edge Exotics ex9

6-AW- Cleveland Launcher XL Nippon Zelos 7

56°- Cleveland CBX Zipcore

60°- Lazrus

P- Odyssey eleven tour lined stroke lab shaft

10 hours ago, dubbelbogey said:

I can't help for how to stop the spiral, as I've never been one to switch gear often. I know folks here like to joke about how that just doesn't happen to WRX-ers, but I suspect there are more than a few like me who just like their tools to be familiar and comfortable.

In many other sports, players are loathe to switch certain parts of their gear:

I'll give you a couple of examples:

• Baseball gloves. Players are loathe to switch from "their" glove. Having to move on from your gamer that you've grown and fitted into for, likely, years, is painful.
  • Ski boots. I raced for years and once you got a set to fit well (no small process, usually) they became an intimate part of your connection to the sport. Nobody looks to change boots once they get theirs working.

I like my clubs to be more like the above. Fit well, are comfortable, and know that there really is not much tech to drastically change one's game once a decent fit has been made. You hit enough good shots with a club, you'll then know that poor shots are likely not the fault of the club.

Now, I don't take this to the extreme. A modern-ish 460cc driver is, by far, the better tool than a 200cc (or smaller) driver from decades ago. But chasing the end of the rainbow is a fool's errand.

Some might say this is "no fun". Hey, if switching equipment really is your thing, go for it. But I think there is a lot of satisfaction to be had in having that set of tools that is "yours".

I'm a ski racer also and thats spot on about the boots. Do to contracts I ended up switching boots and became lost, took a while but I got back on the original brand, it was like getting back home after a long road trip.  My putter, wedges and fairway woods have stayed constant, the diver and irons are another matter, hope to resolve that.

I sold everything...every extra shaft, extra wedges, hybrid heads, drivers, iron sets. I just cleaned house. I kept the shafts that I know work fit me, older models that fit. I just decided to really find clubs I like and stick with them. Winter time is brutal though...I did purchase a new driver and 3 wood this year but they were the last two clubs I was looking to upgrade. I now think I’m set and I’ve really vowed to not buy anything else. I’ve always loved to tinker with equipment so this will take effort but I have had the same irons and wedges for two years so I’m on the right path. The first step is admitting you have an addiction 😂

• Like 1

Cobra Aero LS 9 Fuji Evo IV 569 X

Honma TR21 15* VIZARD FP7 Stiff

Honma TR21 HY 18* VIZARD UT 7

Honma TR21 HY 21* VIZARD UT 8

Honma TR21X 5-11 VIZARD IBWF 100

HighToe MG3 54* VIZARD IB 120

HighToe MG3 58*/13 VIZARD IB 120

MackMade custom Slide MMT putter                         

I tend to stick to a gamer set of irons(will order others to try, but they normally get sold) and I absolutely stick to a gamer three wood and one set of wedges in the growing season and one in the dormant season.

All other clubs are up for debate.  However this year I have decided.  No new irons at all, 7 wood and hybrid stay interchangeable, Driver to stay.  

I played my best golf when I didn't change my irons very often.  I am going to give it a run this year and see if I can get back to scratch or better.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

13 hours ago, Mcgeeno said:

The only club or equipment change I've made to that truly improved my game was the switch to single length in 2017.

I was an inconsistent 5 cap who went to a 0 to 1 cap within a season or two. I still tinker with my putter, woods, driver and all the other stuff but I'll likely never switch from SL irons again. It just changed my consistency and proximity to the hole.

If you went from 5 to 1.2 cap because of the single length irons, then wow you are onto something and I may consider going that route.  Oh wait.......there's the club ho in me again.  😐

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2