Are any of these guys on tour actually built/strong? Is fitness that impactful in golf?

LimaSierra

6 hours ago, smashdn said:

Since we are already in the ditch and it sounds like we have some knowledgeable guys here regarding lifting, any benefit to military press and decline press in addition to regular flat bench?

I loathe lifting btw but am getting that age where I need to do something to maintain what muscle mass I have and not being so soft would be nice too.  From waist down and chest up including arms I am happy and still muscular.  Core sucks though.  Flexibility is not anywhere near as good when I was playing ball and stretching regular.

Military press is excellent in terms of developing overall shoulder development and strength.  Only do them if your shoulder joints are healthy though and be very careful if you've dislocated your shoulder or had rotator cuff surgery. 

Edited by phizzy30

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

3 hours ago, MUNIGRIT said:

I would bet Tiger hit the ball farthest when he was right out of college built like a string bean.

It was, relative to peers and equipment, he averaged 320 at the 1997 Masters with the small heads and different ball, and stories of him hitting it out of the range at the Augusta practice area. Story was I believe that he tried to change his swing for more consistency so he could win more often and it paid off, but if he kept going at that early swing with new equipment, or arrived a little later to the scene, who knows how far he would have gone. Pure speed and athleticism rather than weights or strength.

5 hours ago, smashdn said:

Does it only tone the shoulder or does it help fill and "square out" your pecs?  My pecs have gotten soft.  Need to kill man boob in its tracks before I am shopping for his and her bras with the missus.

Ok so moobs is the result of having too much estrogen in your system during puberty.  No way to actually get rid of it unless you have surgery for gyno.  You can however build a decent chest.  I would dare say that almost every male on the planet has some level of gyno.  Military press develop your anterior and lateral deltoids.  It will also hit your posterier as well but to a lesser degree.  For golfers, the flat bench is the only pressing movement needed for chest IMO.  Bodybuilders do all flat, incline and decline presses to completely develop their chest.  I only do incline and flat now.  Used to do decline as well when I was bulking and getting ready for shows.  Hate decline because it's very awkward and uncomfortable movement in general.   

Edited by phizzy30

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

5 hours ago, Frankensteins Monster said:

His a** coming off the bench when he's failing is absolute trash. The stroke has to be VERY high towards his neck due to his delts being more developed than his chest which has none. He's all shoulders and tris, and dudebroing it to get the last reps up.

Ever see a power lifter bench press?  Go look it up on youtube.  Their asses come off the bench.  I know several guys who powerlift for a living.  They dig their feet into the ground and their a** come off the bench.  It's to give them more leverage  so they can push more weight. 

Edited by phizzy30

5 hours ago, TiScape said:

🙄 

Exactly my thoughts. 

4 hours ago, Jim53 said:

Go easy men, as a now 62 former gym rat that had to press over 300 and warmed up to bench with 2 plates then did 4 in sets (then max days went nuts) as well as all the other stuff (grossly ignoring legs to a fault) I now have constant shoulder and back pain as well as all the other arm, wrist, etc joints all worn out. Exercise now is painful and frustrating.

It was fun and I onjoyed being big and strong, but from 50 yrs on it has been a battle to keep the weight off and just stay fit enough to play golf. At the most I was 6 ft 265 lbs, now trying hard to stay at 6 ft and 200 target. I strongly agree diet is king, but cookies and beer taste better....now.

Young and strong is great, but old and being able to move is better. You will pay later for over doing it now. 

Right on.  Let's say I used to move a lot of weight back in my younger years.  Think 4 plates on each side for reps for the major compound lifts.  Lifting much lighter these days, but still heavier than 98% of the gym goers.  I'm only 40, but I have knee and lower back issues.  Always use good form, but s*** happens.  The pro level guys I train especially the older ones have a variety of injuries that they suffered through out the years not only on the field so to speak but in the gym as well.  As for diet, I know this is against the norm, but unless you are dieting, don't deprive yourself all the time.  Enjoy the occasional junk food.  Deprivation of sweets and junk food can lead to overconsumption later on.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Dave230 said:

My point was that I saw Rory as a teenager when he wasn't ripped to shreds or in particularly amazing shape at all and he was still longer than pretty much any amateur in Ireland, even though he was just a small average kid.

For example, Rory average 301 yards off the tee at age 19/20 on the European Tour, he wasn't ripped then.

Fair enough.  I didn't quite read into your post but thanks for the clarification. 

22 minutes ago, Dave230 said:

It was, relative to peers and equipment, he averaged 320 at the 1997 Masters with the small heads and different ball, and stories of him hitting it out of the range at the Augusta practice area. Story was I believe that he tried to change his swing for more consistency so he could win more often and it paid off, but if he kept going at that early swing with new equipment, or arrived a little later to the scene, who knows how far he would have gone. Pure speed and athleticism rather than weights or strength.

They say his ss was probably 130ish when he really went after it.  That would be relative to Bryson's stock driver swing these days.  Also, Tiger was extremely flexible back then.  I believe he's also got a ton of fast twitch muscles as well given how fast he used to swing given his size back then. 

5 hours ago, Barfolomew said:

LPGA Out driving VAST majority of male amateurs??.... don't know where you've been ballin amigo!  We'd smash on them delicates over here on the west side... jus sayin

LPGA outdrives the vast majority of male amateurs, most of whom rarely practice, rarely do golf-related fitness, and rarely take lessons. The male amateurs that are motivated to play well generally outdrive the LPGA.

It's like saying the top 100 clean female lifters can outlift the majority of male office workers. True. But they can't outlift the guy who has been lifting semi-seriously for a year or two. It's just genetics.

Edited by tw_focus

A comment on seeing pros at a tournament.

My wife and I attended the 2010 US Open.  It's true that tv adds weight.  Phil wasn't fat, Tiger was muscular but still skinnyish, Rory was the biggest surprise because there is no way he's hitting the ball as far as he does...  but he does it via swing speed and using every available muscle in perfect sync.

The only players that looked as big as they do on tv were Brendon De Jonge and Ernie Els.

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter

40 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

Ever see a power lifter bench press?  Go look it up on youtube.  Their asses come off the bench.  I know several guys who powerlift for a living.  They dig their feet into the ground and their a** come off the bench.  It's to give them more leverage  so they can push more weight. 

A butt CANNOT come off the bench or the lift is considered missed. We arch. The butt must be in contact with the bench through the entire lift. There are no powerlifters that have their butt come off the bench. It’s also incredibly dangerous to do with real weight.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, tw_focus said:

LPGA outdrives the vast majority of male amateurs, most of whom rarely practice, rarely do golf-related fitness, and rarely take lessons. The male amateurs that are motivated to play well generally outdrive the LPGA.

It's like saying the top 100 clean female lifters can outlift the majority of male office workers. True. But they can't outlift the guy who has been lifting semi-seriously for a year or two. It's just genetics.

Makes sense..... LPGA could def out drive my friend Rob..... Rob sucks

• Like 1

Can't figure how to like my own posts

6 hours ago, Frankensteins Monster said:

When I was at my strongest, I was never a high rep bencher above 200lbs. It's just how it is. Tried multiple ways to to consistently get more than six reps with anything 225lbs and above. My bench max, which has always been the weakest of the big three, was 317lbs. That's with a max rep of six reps at two plates.

Geez...  When I started lifting I was 19 years old and 6'3" 155 lbs or so.  I think I could bench 100 lbs but I don't really remember.  After a decade of hard work and probably 20 lbs of muscle gain my goal became to bench 200 lbs.  I did some sort of Russian program I saw in a magazine and at the end of it I got 3 sets of 3 at 200 lbs and was really happy!  Makes me happy now just remembering it...  I had friends who could bench 200 lbs very quickly maybe from the day that they started lifting.  I am so ashamed...  I can say that weight lifting did change my life for the better, people treated me a bit less as a none entity and no more listening to jokes about Nels running around in the shower trying to catch a few drops of water...

I do a little tiny bit of lifting now and it definitely helps my golf game.  Being stronger makes it easier for me to hit the ball farther and better, no doubt in my mind!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Frankensteins Monster said:

A butt CANNOT come off the bench or the lift is considered missed. We arch. The butt must be in contact with the bench through the entire lift. There are no powerlifters that have their butt come off the bench. It’s also incredibly dangerous to do with real weight.

I know it's dangerous.  My point was that it's a common practice in powerlifting. 

23 minutes ago, Nels55 said:

Geez...  When I started lifting I was 19 years old and 6'3" 155 lbs or so.  I think I could bench 100 lbs but I don't really remember.  After a decade of hard work and probably 20 lbs of muscle gain my goal became to bench 200 lbs.  I did some sort of Russian program I saw in a magazine and at the end of it I got 3 sets of 3 at 200 lbs and was really happy!  Makes me happy now just remembering it...  I had friends who could bench 200 lbs very quickly maybe from the day that they started lifting.  I am so ashamed...  I can say that weight lifting did change my life for the better, people treated me a bit less as a none entity and no more listening to jokes about Nels running around in the shower trying to catch a few drops of water...

I do a little tiny bit of lifting now and it definitely helps my golf game.  Being stronger makes it easier for me to hit the ball farther and better, no doubt in my mind!

Don't be ashamed.  It takes some of us a lot longer to get stronger.  I didn't dead lift 405 overnight.  It actually took me awhile to get there.  Also, you can never to be too strong for any sport.  Keep up the good work!

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, JeffreySpicoli said:

I’m a CEO, I’m old, I’m fit, and I hit a 2 iron longer and more accurately than any of the young bucks that I run across.

My superior physical condition allows me to play to 2 index that at times hovers to 4.

The only downside is all of the positive attention I receive from many of the women—and men—at the pools of the multiple country clubs at which I’m a member. I now have to wear a robe as much as possible when I’m not in the pool. If I don’t, there’s often bedlam.

Fortunately, my devoted wife finds it amusing—especially when other men ogle me.

Nice pic of your wife here!  

missAmerica.jpg.36260dd32261eae06580860cb6bac23d.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nels55 said:

Nice pic of your wife here!  

missAmerica.jpg.36260dd32261eae06580860cb6bac23d.jpg

Yes, she’s that attractive but she’s also seriously intelligent and she has a wicked sense of humor.

Most men—and I mean most—have no idea what they’re missing. And that’s for the best. If they knew what they were missing, life would hold little meaning for them. In this case, the truism applies—ignorance is bliss.

• Like 1

Just now, Frankensteins Monster said:

No, it’s not. 

Ok we obviously have different point of views on fitness and exercise in general.  Let's just leave it at that.  Cool? 

2 hours ago, Frankensteins Monster said:

3 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

To be fair, the term “butt” is rather liberal in powerlifting. Especially as you look at the lighter weight male lifters and female lifters. If you look at the women in particular it does look as if their butts are off the bench, but they aren’t. Regardless of federation your butt needs to be at least skimming the bench or it’s a no lift. As far as the other body parts go USAPL/IPF require head and heels to stay planted through the lift and USPA/(whatever their world governing body is) allow you to lift your head and bench with your heels up. Generally the more arch a lifter has the part of their butt that ends up touching is actually the bottom portion more so than what you wouldn’t generally consider it. 

An example included below. Heather Connor. She’s a IPF world champion. She does pretty well. It looks like her butt is off of the bench, but there is some contact. 

Just coming from a former USAPL lifter. 

FE4AE98D-1AED-47B2-9315-50D786290309.jpeg

• Like 1

Stealth Plus+ 10.5* || Ventus Blue TR 7x

SIM2 Rescue 17* || Ventus Blue HB 8x

X-Forged UT 18* || MMT UT 105tx

TSi2 21* || Ventus Black HB 10tx

T100/620MB 5-9 || DG X7

SM9 47 || DG X7

SM9 51, 55, 59 || DG X1

BB8 Tri Wiz Cu Insert || BGT Stability Tour

Bettinardi BKS #1

3 minutes ago, MPAndreassi said:

To be fair, the term “butt” is rather liberal in powerlifting. Especially as you look at the lighter weight male lifters and female lifters. If you look at the women in particular it does look as if their butts are off the bench, but they aren’t. Regardless of federation your butt needs to be at least skimming the bench or it’s a no lift. As far as the other body parts go USAPL/IPF require head and heels to stay planted through the lift and USPA/(whatever their world governing body is) allow you to lift your head and bench with your heels up. Generally the more arch a lifter has the part of their butt that ends up touching is actually the bottom portion more so than what you wouldn’t generally consider it. 

An example included below. Heather Connor. She’s a IPF world champion. She does pretty well. It looks like her butt is off of the bench, but there is some contact. 

Just coming from a former USAPL lifter. 

FE4AE98D-1AED-47B2-9315-50D786290309.jpeg

So you're saying it's a rather grey area?  I can respect that. 

1 minute ago, phizzy30 said:

So you're saying it's a rather grey area?  I can respect that. 

I would say it’s gray, as a competitor. The way the lifts are judged is by three judges. You can lift one cheek, keep the other planted and get two out of three white lights and the lift will count. As long as some portion of your butt is touching some portion of the bench. Especially to people outside the sport. 

• Thanks 1

T100/620MB 5-9 || DG X7

SM9 47 || DG X7

SM9 51, 55, 59 || DG X1

Bettinardi BKS #1

9 hours ago, Barfolomew said:

LPGA Out driving VAST majority of male amateurs??.... don't know where you've been ballin amigo!  We'd smash on them delicates over here on the west side... jus sayin

Look "amigo" ... actual statistics! Although I'm sure you "ballers" out west are far superior to average, this is why I said the majority:

Average driving distance for amateur men golfers. Average distance for all golfers is 217 yards. This number is at least an improvement on the latest numbers we received from the last USGA report on driving distance three years ago, which saw the average distance for male amateur club golfers stand at 208 yards.

The average driving distance for a female golfer on the LPGA tour is about 250 yards. These women can hit their 7 iron close to 160 yards. The LPGA tour golfers seem like such long hitters compared to the average female golfer because of their swing speed

• Like 1

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

1 minute ago, tatertot said:

Look "amigo" ... actual statistics! Although I'm sure you "ballers" out west are far superior to average, this is why I said the majority:

Average driving distance for amateur men golfers. Average distance for all golfers is 217 yards. This number is at least an improvement on the latest numbers we received from the last USGA report on driving distance three years ago, which saw the average distance for male amateur club golfers stand at 208 yards.

The average driving distance for a female golfer on the LPGA tour is about 250 yards. These women can hit their 7 iron close to 160 yards. The LPGA tour golfers seem like such long hitters compared to the average female golfer because of their swing speed

I think he was being sarcastic as much of this thread seems to be a joke 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

T100/620MB 5-9 || DG X7

SM9 47 || DG X7

SM9 51, 55, 59 || DG X1

Bettinardi BKS #1