2021 US Open

MattyO1984

12 minutes ago, jpbouffard said:

What does this mean? Sounds like you're saying that the field are bad putters, basically? Not the poa, not the open pressure, so they are just technically not good? 

I wasn't making a blanket statement about their abilities - they're PGA Tour players, after all - or attributing the putts to anything, merely to the anomalous nature of the made putts by the leaders vs the misses by the field.  To be fair, some of the early-round contenders wouldn't have gone low without making their share.

57 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

If the lie was that bad , I guess.  But that’s a big if.  Was from 246 out.  

I don’t think the odds would show that holing  out from 65 is more likely than 3 wood flying 246 , unless the lie is so bad that you can’t get a club on it.  On TV at least you could see plenty of ball.    Put it this way.  If It’s Rahm or Phil , they aren’t laying up.  Sometimes I think some players are too conservative for their own good.  My opinion 

Well of course they aren't because they're a lot longer.   I just think he thought he had like a one in 500 chance of getting it over the water.  And, even then, it's not like it's anything close to a sure eagle.

I'm sure someone out there like Broadie has done the odds on the decision.    It's also possible that he thought the lie was a lot worse than it turned out to be as has been mentioned.

Edited by chigolfer1

6 minutes ago, chigolfer1 said:

Well of course they aren't because they're a lot longer.   I just think he thought he had like a one in 500 chance of getting it over the water.  And, even then, it's not like it's anything close to a sure eagle.

I'm sure someone out there like Broadie has done the odds on the decision.    It's also possible that he thought the lie was a lot worse than it turned out to be as has been mentioned.

All True. Just depends on which side you fall on, I’m on the side of I couldn’t live with myself if I didn’t even try.  But if your mindset is can’t , I guess you can’t.  Phil on the other hand went for that shot , over trees with a similar or worse lie.  Didn’t pull it off. But wasn’t wet.  With a wood. Lol.  So The only conclusion I can draw is that Louis conceded and was playing for 2nd after the tee ball on 18.  

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Just now, bladehunter said:

All True. Just depends on which side you fall on, I’m on the side of I couldn’t live with myself if I didn’t even try.  But if your mindset is can’t , I guess you can’t.  Phil on the other hand went for that shot , over trees with a similar or worse lie.  Didn’t pull it off. But wasn’t wet.  With a wood. Lol.  So The only conclusion I can draw is that Louis conceded and was playing for 2nd after the tee ball on 18.  

That last part is silly.  If laying up and chipping in has better odds than a semi-miracle shot over the water from the rough, that's not playing for second.   It's just smart golf.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

Love Rory. I’ll still root for him. His comments after the round were positive.

I think there was a time when Rory was consumed with winning and proving he was the best.

But now, he decided he’s not going to attach his mental well being to winning.

I respect that. Just as a fan, you want to see him destroy courses and fields again, it’s awesome.

Exactly… pitty. 😢

His interviews are good though.

5 minutes ago, RobotDoctor said:

I would put Norman's collapse slightly behind Jean Van De Velde and the 1999 Open Championship.  Needing a double bogey to win Van De Velde proceeded to make a triple bogey to get into a 3 way playoff only to lose to Paul Lawrie.  I think Jean Van De Velde's collapse is the biggest in major championship history.

Yeah, that was like driving by an auto accident and not being able to look away. Regarding Norman everyone thought it was a sure thing. He was so many strokes ahead and seemed nearly flawless. It was a shocker when he started dropping strokes like he was allergic to par. Sir Nick stepped right in, thank you very much.

Two words: awesome finish. 

• Like 2

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

1 hour ago, JaNelson38 said:

Yes, the guy who held the trophy last fall "will never learn anything".

It IS golf.  Everyone has bad rounds, bad parts of rounds, bad stretches of play.  Dustin Johnson won the Travelers last year, then went 80/80 at the Memorial, followed that up with a WD after shooting a 78 the next week, then proceeded to go T12, T2, 1, 2, and 1 his final 5 events of the year to win the FedEx Cup.  All in the span of 7 weeks.

Bryson was +4 after 21 holes and was the leader with 9 to play.  Outside of Rahm's back 9 on Sunday, Bryson's stretch from the start of his second round until his final 9 was probably the best of the tournament by anyone....he went 30 holes without a bogey on a US Open course.

After the round Bryson said it was bad luck.

Which sounds absurd but if you look at it, it’s not.

He got to where he was with the lead by playing bomb and gouge. He got lucky more often than not and it worked. He hit it all over but  he got lots of trampled/decent lies.

So, he stuck with it but then he got killed with bad lies. 

Cant blame him for continuing with what got him there. But, maybe he can learn to be more conservative with risk/reward in key situations. 

Edited by bscinstnct

19 minutes ago, dcfas said:

Yeah, that was like driving by an auto accident and not being able to look away. Regarding Norman everyone thought it was a sure thing. He was so many strokes ahead and seemed nearly flawless. It was a shocker when he started dropping strokes like he was allergic to par. Sir Nick stepped right in, thank you very much.

Yeah, the 1996 Masters was truly a shock.  I, too, thought Norman was in total control of his game and would win the tournament.  By the back nine I really felt horribly for him.

• Like 1

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

41 minutes ago, chigolfer1 said:

That last part is silly.  If laying up and chipping in has better odds than a semi-miracle shot over the water from the rough, that's not playing for second.   It's just smart golf.

I don’t believe that laying up and chipping  From 65 yards and putting it in has better odds then hitting the green in two  and making a putt

we see way more par five greens hit in two from the rough , than  we ever will see hole out from the fairway from 65 or 70 yards.

Edited by bladehunter
  • Like 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

2 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

I don’t believe that laying up and chipping  From 65 yards and putting it in has better odds then hitting the green in two  and making a putt

Not when you make it that simplistic.  Obviously, it would be better to hit the green in two and make a putt.   The question is, was the shot he would have to make to get on the green so much of a longshot that it didn't make sense relative to chipping in.

• Like 1

Just now, chigolfer1 said:

Not when you make it that simplistic.  Obviously, it would be better to hit the green in two and make a putt.   The question is, was the shot he would have to make to get on the green so much of a longshot that it didn't make sense relative to chipping in.

I don’t think so.  We see par 5s hit from farther away from the rough every day.  Rare to see a hole out. Maybe 1 on average a tournament? 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I thought the conversation between Oosty and caddie made it pretty obvious.  Oosty clearly said he cannot get there.  You can be sure, there was much discussion and they looked for anyway possible to hit a shot he can commit to and get over the water or one right.  There wasn't one there.  Maybe a stronger player could do it, but have to trust Oosty knows his own game.  Maybe the line / traj (thanks Azinger) with the lie in the rough called for a shot he simply did not have.

We saw that tee shot result from a few players yesterday, did any of them go for the green?  Make it?  I don't think so.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bladehunter said:

I’m on the side of I couldn’t live with myself if I didn’t even try.

Same. 

If he dunked it in the water, what's the worst that would have happened? Chip up from the drop and save par and still finish 2nd? Bogey and finish tied for 2nd?

Or pull off a miracle and have an eagle putt to force a playoff? 

This is what separates the greats from the not-greats. You think Tiger would have pitched out in that situation? No freakin way. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

7 hours ago, Pleasedwith3putts said:

That's a shame. He basically turns up and takes about 12 big divots before starting a routine when he places the ball immediately in front of the bare patch of earth he has created. He then sticks the club in the ground on his second practice shot, which is what the commentators said he was worried about as could damage his risk. He the starts attacking the area again with a wedge, then kicking it up with his shoe before Greller steps in to start digging too with the wedge. This screen grab will give you an idea.

image.png.abf52d2aceb18aee0ba1df960af26eb0.png

Can't imagine what people would be saying if Bryson did this.

5 minutes ago, aenemated said:

Same. 

If he dunked it in the water, what's the worst that would have happened? Chip up from the drop and save par and still finish 2nd? Bogey and finish tied for 2nd?

Or pull off a miracle and have an eagle putt to force a playoff? 

This is what separates the greats from the not-greats. You think Tiger would have pitched out in that situation? No freakin way. 

Again, the question is what miracle had better odds, getting it over the water, and putting in, or chipping.   Some of you guys make it sound like he was deciding between going for the green with a chance to win it, or lay up so that he could secure second or third.  That wasn't the thought process at all.

And, the worse that could happen is he puts it in the water and loses any chance of tying.  He couldn't care less about coming in 2nd or third lol

Edited by chigolfer1

1 minute ago, chigolfer1 said:

Again, the question is what miracle had better odds, getting it over the water, and putting in, or chipping.   

And, the worse that could happen is he puts it in the water and loses any chance of tying.  He couldn't care less about coming in 2nd or third lol

Obviously he knows his game better than some random internet dude but it's not like he's regarded as some stellar wedge player. 

Last Chance Saloon, man - rip it outta there with all you got out to the right with some right to left spin and hope for the best. It's the US Open and you HAVE to make eagle, man. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

17 minutes ago, CasualLie said:

I thought the conversation between Oosty and caddie made it pretty obvious.  Oosty clearly said he cannot get there.  You can be sure, there was much discussion and they looked for anyway possible to hit a shot he can commit to and get over the water or one right.  There wasn't one there.  Maybe a stronger player could do it, but have to trust Oosty knows his own game.  Maybe the line / traj (thanks Azinger) with the lie in the rough called for a shot he simply did not have.

We saw that tee shot result from a few players yesterday, did any of them go for the green?  Make it?  I don't think so.

And that’s fair.  It maybe the disconnect, stronger player vs not.    

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

1 minute ago, aenemated said:

Obviously he knows his game better than some random internet dude but it's not like he's regarded as some stellar wedge player. 

Last Chance Saloon, man - rip it outta there with all you got out to the right with some right to left spin and hope for the best. It's the US Open and you HAVE to make eagle, man. 

ok?  what do you think he was trying to do?

The crazy thing is Luis saying in the interview that he would play 17 the same way again.  For some crazy reason he thought the situation demanded he get as much out of his tee shot as he can on 17 so he can have wedge in and go for birdie?  What???  I am sure he has made birdies before with 8i or 9i in hand!  Find the fairway, or blast it right, but you cannot be aggressive and put the hazard in play...never.

An even crazier strategic blunder was DeShambles 2nd shot on 13.  His stock 8i is 190.  Why take an aggressive line and try to maximize distance on a 2nd shot par 5???  Something wrong with 100 yards to the center of the fairway?  And he says he didn't go off the rails?  Ok buddy, whatever.  This from the guy who says afterwards "...I don't really care as much. I've already won it."  

You know these guys were seriously off the rails when they made Rahm look like a calm, composed, and patient professional.  Rahm looked like the past major winner just biding his time.  it was a bit like Tiger.  You guys done playing now?  Excuse me while I drain a couple of birdies and put this to bed.

Edited by CasualLie

9 minutes ago, CasualLie said:

The crazy thing is Luis saying in the interview that he would play 17 the same way again.  For some crazy reason he thought the situation demanded he get as much out of his tee shot as he can on 17 so he can have wedge in and go for birdie?  What???  I am sure he has made birdies before with 8i or 9i in hand!  Find the fairway, or blast it right, but you cannot be aggressive and put the hazard in play...never.

An even crazier strategic blunder was DeShambles 2nd shot on 13.  His stock 8i is 190.  Why take an aggressive line and try to maximize distance on a 2nd shot par 5???  Something wrong with 100 yards to the center of the fairway?  And he says he didn't go off the rails?  Ok buddy, whatever.  This from the guy who says afterwards "...I don't really care as much. I've already won it."  

You know these guys were seriously off the rails when they made Rahm look like a calm, composed, and patient professional.  Rahm looked like the past major winner just biding his time.  it was a bit like Tiger.  You guys done playing now?  Excuse me while I drain a couple of birdies and put this to bed.

huh?  that is weird.  Why did he think he needed to birdie 17 when he had a very birdiable 18 coming up?  

3 hours ago, grm24 said:

Actually closer to 300 million.

Only 300 million?! Sheesh. Surprised NBC even needed to sell advertising! 😂  

Seriously though. My original post about the price NBC paid to air the Open was in response to someone complaining about all the commercials and another member responding to that with “USGA must really need $$$”. So whether it was one billion, 500 million or 300 million… NBC paid a lot for the rights to broadcast the tournament. Therefore they have to sell a lot of advertising was my point. 

Edited by TiScape

2 hours ago, bladehunter said:

I don't think he could keep the ball on the green out of the rough from that distance & felt like a shortish pitch from the fairway was a better chance to hole it than a pitch from the thick stuff behind the green to a downhill slope.

• Like 1