2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

2021 US Open

MattyO1984

3 hours ago, iBanesto said:

What is this?

I've done that drill.  It's called the I've got no freaking clue WTH is going on with my swing right now drill 🙂

Either he was trying to work on a feeling through impact, he wanted to work from an area where there was more relief through the ball because the poana grass was super grabby / into the grain, or he just saw the ants that follow Bryson's golf ball from course to course and decided he would put an end to them. 

I think it was the second one. 

Edited by jons1
  • Like 1

----------------
Golf Jobs
Driver: Titleist TS3 9.5 w/ Tensei Blue 55 S
3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S
3H: Titleist 915H 21 w/ Diamana D+ 90 S
Irons: 4-GW Titleist T100 w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Wedge: Vokey SM8 54.10S TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Wedge: Vokey SM8 60.04L TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Ball: 2021 Titleist ProV1

spacer.png

8 hours ago, iBanesto said:

What is this?

This is the start of the footage I referred to earlier in the thread but only have a link that doesn't work in the US. After he chunks his second pitch both Spieth and Greller have a proper attack at removing turf which in all takes about 90 seconds

15 hours ago, JaNelson38 said:

Yes, the guy who held the trophy last fall "will never learn anything".

It IS golf.  Everyone has bad rounds, bad parts of rounds, bad stretches of play.  Dustin Johnson won the Travelers last year, then went 80/80 at the Memorial, followed that up with a WD after shooting a 78 the next week, then proceeded to go T12, T2, 1, 2, and 1 his final 5 events of the year to win the FedEx Cup.  All in the span of 7 weeks.

Bryson was +4 after 21 holes and was the leader with 9 to play.  Outside of Rahm's back 9 on Sunday, Bryson's stretch from the start of his second round until his final 9 was probably the best of the tournament by anyone....he went 30 holes without a bogey on a US Open course.

Thanks for the history lesson but the point went way over your head....

16 hours ago, woodriff said:

What does everyone think Bryson will take from his back 9 ? Will he learn anything? 

I saw the NBC coverage of his meltdown when they rolled a compilation of his worst shots, but yesterday I went to the USGA app and watched their "condensed final round" coverage which was supposedly a couple of hours showing every televised shot from Sunday. The last shot of DeChambeau they showed was him putting out on 12 until they also showed him putting out on 18. They left out all the carnage from 13 onward. Shame, USGA! Perhaps they give special treatment to former US Open champions in the midst of a mental meltdown.

Ah well, we all have our biases, even among the distinguished contributors here at GolfWRX, who think every player who fails to win an event "choked" (the strange fixation with that word here is almost deserving of its own forum), who thought Rory's "grape creamsicle" outfit on Sunday came out of nowhere and somehow failed to notice it was in the colors used on his TaylorMade 1970s retro golf bag, and who criticize the galleryites using the dreaded "Baba Booey" and "mashed potatoes" shouts on tee shots yet feel they are clever as all get-out referring to a multi-major champion as "Bruce" on here.

15 hours ago, jpbouffard said:

I think by saying "it's just golf," he meant that sometimes, no matter how hard you try, how good you are, how well you prepare, sometimes you just suck. 

I get it but everyone knows how arrogant he is and he came off very bad during his presser....

Two years ago, im at a tournament and he drives the ball into the rough and the ball stops 3 feet from me.....the female volunteer comes over to mark his ball but at the same time has to keep the crowd back from getting too close. He arrives at the location looking for his ball and she politely says "your ball is right here".  She didnt have time to put the little flag down in the grass so he could see it and then he lashed into her telling her she isnt doing her job and he says "I could have stepped on it".  He never apologized to her and just walked off like an arrogant word not allowed. The people who were there gace it to him as he walked away. He is a classless, wannabe bully who found it acceptable to berate a female volunteer in front of 50 people.  The guy is a complete tool and the more he opens his mouth the more he sounds like a complete Jerk. I am not a Koepka fan but I hope he busts DeChambeau in the mouth some day.   Dechambeau is an arrogant Word not allowed and he came off like a jery in his presser IMO. 

• Like 2

At the time he plays the hole, Rahm in his mind absolutely has to birdie the 18th hole.  He played relatively quickly but Azinger was not looking for him to play away, almost, almost it seemed ready to second guess, there was even a muted "boo" from the crowd.  He made the putt, tough putt, and it made him look really smart for "taking his medicine" and making the play he made.  

Had he missed the putt and ended up losing and Louis cruised in and managed a win?  Come on now, there would be all sorts of second guessing on here because it looked on TV like just a little bunker shot, etc., etc.  

He evaluated the situation and made the shot he felt was the % play, no "go for broke". But he needed that birdie in his mind no less than Louis needed eagle.

Louis the same.  He saw the lie, he knows what he can and can't do with it and apparently gave himself the best % chance in his mind to pull off what was always going to be a very unlikely 3.

Just IMO, but I think it is ironic Rahm is the Nicklaus-like genius (after the fact) for not playing the hero shot and Louis is picked on to the extent that he is.  But there would be no interest in sports if we couldn't claim what we would have done and how it would be better or different, or know better what the player was facing.  Again, just ironic, second guess all you want, it's part of it all.

Now the drive on 17 . . .  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, TiScape said:

Only 300 million?! Sheesh. Surprised NBC even needed to sell advertising! 😂  

Seriously though. My original post about the price NBC paid to air the Open was in response to someone complaining about all the commercials and another member responding to that with “USGA must really need $$$”. So whether it was one billion, 500 million or 300 million… NBC paid a lot for the rights to broadcast the tournament. Therefore they have to sell a lot of advertising was my point. 

NBC paid $xxx for the remnants of the Fox deal. We have no idea how they allocate that cost over the life of the deal but likely it is simply the price paid by the number of years to charge so much per championship. Then they have their production costs and all other costs associated with producing the coverage. Offsetting that is their advertising revenue. Now, it must make sense financially or they (all broadcasters/streamers, not just NBC) would not be doing these deals with rights holders. But I suspect, based upon my knowledge and experience in the corporate world, that the decisions about how many commercials to run, how many and which on-air people to use, and the type of coverage to produce is all about maximizing their bottom line and little else. They DO NOT CARE about what the good posters of GolfWRX or the TV critics may think of their commercial placement or on-air talent in that moment. As long as they have an Azinger or Hicks or Roberts or Begay or (God forbid) Paige MacKenzie under contract and are forced to pay them, they will use them until that contract expires. They do not care how they are received here and elsewhere until the time comes to renew or walk away from those contracts.

Not having any inside info, I nevertheless am getting the sense that NBC Sports is being spread too thin and is suffering from bean-counter disease. Not just on golf coverage and the evisceration of the Golf Channel, but when you look at the other sports they cover, especially higher-profile ones like NASCAR, their coverage is generally inferior to the competition. Most recently they replaced their veteran NASCAR host with Zac Collinsworth, son of Cris, because (I presume) they were already paying him and needed something for him to do. It surely wasn't due to his deep NASCAR knowledge and roots.

13 hours ago, chigolfer1 said:

Again, the question is what miracle had better odds, getting it over the water, and putting in, or chipping.   Some of you guys make it sound like he was deciding between going for the green with a chance to win it, or lay up so that he could secure second or third.  That wasn't the thought process at all.

And, the worse that could happen is he puts it in the water and loses any chance of tying.  He couldn't care less about coming in 2nd or third lol

I have to think he felt he just couldn't get it over the water? I thought the announcers made a good point, if he could get it into the bunker that would probably give him a better chance at holing out than a pitch from back in the fairway.

Even a chip out of the rough would have seemed better to me if you're really trying to make eagle.

34 minutes ago, tsecor said:

Thanks for the history lesson but the point went way over your head....

What IS your point?

If your main point is that Bryson DeChambeau is an arrogant jerk, I have a news flash: you'll be surprised at how "arrogant" a lot of these guys are.  They're pretty much all arrogant.  Bull-headed.  Pretty selfish when it comes to their profession.  They do things their way.  They expect things to be done for them at a certain level of expectation from tournament officials, volunteers, fans, etc.  Some have more professional tact than others, but the facts are when you're playing for a seven-figure check each week, a good share of them act like like that.  Even the ones that have the 'nice-guy' persona from fellow players and the media. 

When things go wrong with their games, they all act the same way - they all say they just have to work harder.  Why?  Because that's how they're wired to think.  They didnt get to the top professional level by not believing in themselves or how they do things.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jdl said:

I have to think he felt he just couldn't get it over the water? I thought the announcers made a good point, if he could get it into the bunker that would probably give him a better chance at holing out than a pitch from back in the fairway.

Even a chip out of the rough would have seemed better to me if you're really trying to make eagle.

Yeah, that's a different question but wonder about that myself.  He could have just bailed out right and tried to get as close to the green as possible.  Again, I'll assume he just did the math and decided he had better chance from fairway.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tsecor said:

I get it but everyone knows how arrogant he is and he came off very bad during his presser....

Two years ago, im at a tournament and he drives the ball into the rough and the ball stops 3 feet from me.....the female volunteer comes over to mark his ball but at the same time has to keep the crowd back from getting too close. He arrives at the location looking for his ball and she politely says "your ball is right here".  She didnt have time to put the little flag down in the grass so he could see it and then he lashed into her telling her she isnt doing her job and he says "I could have stepped on it".  He never apologized to her and just walked off like an arrogant word not allowed. The people who were there gace it to him as he walked away. He is a classless, wannabe bully who found it acceptable to berate a female volunteer in front of 50 people.  The guy is a complete tool and the more he opens his mouth the more he sounds like a complete Jerk. I am not a Koepka fan but I hope he busts DeChambeau in the mouth some day.   Dechambeau is an arrogant Word not allowed and he came off like a jery in his presser IMO. 

When I lived in Las Vegas, the head pro at TPC Summerlin told me that of all of the pros that played in the Shriner's that year, Bryson treated ALL of the staff better than anyone else during the tournament. He was especially considerate of the locker room people and the waitresses. He clearly isn't a jerk all of the time and opinions about him vary considerably. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JaNelson38 said:

What IS your point?

If your main point is that Bryson DeChambeau is an arrogant jerk, I have a news flash: you'll be surprised at how "arrogant" a lot of these guys are.  They're pretty much all arrogant.  Bull-headed.  Pretty selfish when it comes to their profession.  They do things their way.  They expect things to be done for them at a certain level of expectation from tournament officials, volunteers, fans, etc.  Some have more professional tact than others, but the facts are when you're playing for a seven-figure check each week, a good share of them act like like that.  Even the ones that have the 'nice-guy' persona from fellow players and the media. 

When things go wrong with their games, they all act the same way - they all say they just have to work harder.  Why?  Because that's how they're wired to think.  They didnt get to the top professional level by not believing in themselves or how they do things.  

They dont all act the same way......many guys are actually nice and humble....many are not......idc how driven you are, when you act like a JO, especially to people who support you,  you are in fact....a JO.  i used to be in the sports business and interviewed many an athlete and saw both sides of the coin...so not all are like that....i just think he is a special kind of JO and have seen it first hand, so his flippant arrogant attitude after he choked was not a shock....

14 minutes ago, NevinW said:

When I lived in Las Vegas, the head pro at TPC Summerlin told me that of all of the pros that played in the Shriner's that year, Bryson treated ALL of the staff better than anyone else during the tournament. He was especially considerate of the locker room people and the waitresses. He clearly isn't a jerk all of the time and opinions about him vary considerably. 

can only go by what i witnessed and experienced. I wish he at least apologized for berating that female, but he didnt....

1 hour ago, chigolfer1 said:

Yeah, that's a different question but wonder about that myself.  He could have just bailed out right and tried to get as close to the green as possible.  Again, I'll assume he just did the math and decided he had better chance from fairway.

Although I have to say, based on his answer about #17, starting to question his decision making abilities lol

• Like 1

19 hours ago, RobotDoctor said:

I would put Norman's collapse slightly behind Jean Van De Velde and the 1999 Open Championship.  Needing a double bogey to win Van De Velde proceeded to make a triple bogey to get into a 3 way playoff only to lose to Paul Lawrie.  I think Jean Van De Velde's collapse is the biggest in major championship history.

Phil Mickelson of the 2006 US Open comes close and Monty in the same tournament was just as bad. He had a 7 iron, and as good of a ballstriker he is, he totally mishit it.  Had Monty hit it like he regularly does, he would have won. 

Edited by ChrisL52188

I want to point out the irony, that after a weekend of wrx criticizing the course for being boring, uninteresting, and with lots of room and without significant trouble, the tournament was incredibly exciting and hinged upon a pair of contenders finding significant trouble on 17. (although Bryson had arguably already de-contendered himself by then)

The course to me was no better or worse than any of a handful of interchangeable northeastern CC's (Winged Foot, Oak Hill, Baltusrol, Oakmont, Congressional, etc.) just different. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, James the Hogan Fan said:

I want to point out the irony, that after a weekend of wrx criticizing the course for being boring, uninteresting, and with lots of room and without significant trouble, the tournament was incredibly exciting and hinged upon a pair of contenders finding significant trouble on 17. (although Bryson had arguably already de-contendered himself by then)

The course to me was no better or worse than any of a handful of interchangeable northeastern CC's (Winged Foot, Oak Hill, Baltusrol, Oakmont, Congressional, etc.) just different. 

The scenery that comes through on TV definitely adds a lot.  I realize that doesn't really impact the actual golf but just from an entertainment/watching perspective, it makes it more interesting

Edited by chigolfer1
  • Like 1

On 6/22/2021 at 10:56 AM, NevinW said:

I heard from someone who went to a tournament this year to find Bryson was the only player signing autographs for kids. Apparently the PGA tour has rules against autographs and handshakes. I have alot of respect for BD still signing autographs for kids - Its the right thing to do and Arnold Palmer would have done the same.

23 hours ago, James the Hogan Fan said:

We could have a an exciting competition at TopGolf.  Set up was very, very good for the course.  The course was not however, very, very good.  I think it may have literally been the best TP South has ever been presented or set up for tournament golf.

23 hours ago, James the Hogan Fan said:

Hmm.  I don't want to argue about opinions because they aren't arguable but that is quite the stretch and I think you would find yourself in a very sparse minority.  Congressional is not interchangeable with the others in terms of locale, pedigree and design, ime.

William Bell, Sr. < A.W. Tillinghast, Devereaux Emmet, Donald Ross