2021 US Open

MattyO1984

1 hour ago, bscinstnct said:

For a player of Rory’s stature, he choked big time.

He was at -4 after 10. 

Then, he hits the middle of the green on 11. Lags to like 3 feet….putt misses the hole. Completely.

Ok, he’s still at -3, still right there on 12. He drives it into the bunker but in a good lie. 200 yard to the green but the pin is right in the middle. Totally misses the green and puts it in the bunker, terrible leave, double.

So now he’s -1, but birdies 13, back to -2, then bogeys 16. 

Im thinking it’s a choke on the back 9 on Sunday at a major. Had he been in the lead, there would have been no question.

Rahm was grinding, bearing down, keeping his card clean (just one bogey) and scoring with clutch putts. 

Even Louis managed to shoot par. 

If we don’t say Rory choked then we have to say, dang, he’s just not an elite player anymore. 

Is it a choke if you make mental mistakes?  Seriously asking, not sure where you draw the line on that.  Because in Rory's case, I don't call it a choke in terms of hitting bad shots.  I call it pressing.  He was trying to force the issue instead if sticking to the game plan and staying patient.  He should have kept going to the safe part of the green and wait for a true green light situation instead of going into attack mode for the back 9.

Granted, the putting is still a problem,  but overall he actually has been putting better in last few months.  He made many putts over the weekend that not long ago were automatic misses.

2 hours ago, CCTxGolf said:

Everyone thinks Bryson’s meltdown was so great but I think Koepkas was just as well deserved.

Rahms karma comments apply equally to those two. More to Bruce IMO

edit: I know Brooks wasn’t full on meltdown but by his Sunday major standards it certainly was pathetic

Kudos to you. 👍

It's not very often a hater admits to the incredibly high bar the hatee has established for himself.

I surely agree he wasn't quite as good as he should(?) have been but,,,,,,,,,,,,, T4 with a 2 under 69 in the final round of a major and he was "pathetic". hysterical.gif

• Haha 2

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

46 minutes ago, Ferguson said:

Rory's problem is not putting.   I truly believe he focuses too much on his weaknesses.   His problem is "constructing his rounds" and "capitalizing on consistency."   All the greats build their rounds by stabilizing after a poor hole, and capitalizing on a well-played hole.  Rory's entire demeanor changes after a good hole.  It also changes after a poor hole.   He needs to build a new foundation, maybe with a pre-shot routine that stabilizes his thoughts and works from his strengths.  He has so much talent. 

True. He does ride the emotional highs and lows to their peaks.  

but putting plays into this too.  If he could just learn to let them go no matter the outcome.  Let it go and execute the next.  Cant put much worse really. He has to have lost 4-5 shots to the best putter in the field yesterday.  

• Like 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

1 minute ago, bladehunter said:

That’s all I’m saying.  I personally cannot putt with one. I’ve tried and tried. Why ? The perceived benefits.  I’m good on ping putts and trash up close.  No confidence at all.  Yet I’m averaging 28 per round currently with an anser shape.  Why ?  I think it’s combo of sound , lack of sight lines , and toe hang. Mine is nearly toe down.  That’s hard to find in a putter today.  

Most likely the shape of your stroke.  I have a moderate gate stroke and have found the best putting for me is with a blade.  I’ve tried a variety of mallet styled putters and every one didn’t work.  I use a Ping Zing/My Day styled putter and this style simply outperforms any mallet I’ve ever used.  

Take the endorsement contracts and money out of the equation and it would be interesting to see who putts with what.  

• Thanks 1

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

Thought at the time that Rory just needed to stay solid and stay at -4 (easier said than done), then try to birdie 18. It wouldn’t have been enough in the end but on a lot of days it would have been good enough for a playoff but for Rahm’s heroics. Rahm himself did just that, hit the greens on the back 9 and got his tap in pars. Then won it on the last 2. Rory put himself out of the tournament with very bad mistakes, he can’t seem to avoid them no matter what he does.

• Like 1

I wanted Rahm to win all along & am so glad he did it in such a grand way!  Those I would've been happy to see win.....Rory, Morikawa, Xander, Wolff, Justin Thomas, even Louie.  I almost felt guilty for not rooting for Louie near the end, but I really wanted Rahm to win.  Most of all I was glad to the the circus show of Bryson & Brooks end.  Sorry, Bryson just irritates the heck out of me, always has, and he's finding ways to make it worse.   And I'm tired of watching Cupcake strut around like he's God's gift. 

I happened to have had a bad case of "regular" flu this past week, so watching golf on TV was what I did the most (& sleep).  I think I'll try to come back to the living today & the rest of the week.....my golf course is calling, maybe I'll be up to it by about Wednesday (hopefully).  I know one thing....I'll never, ever want to play Torrey Pines.  🤣

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CasualLie said:

Is it a choke if you make mental mistakes?  Seriously asking, not sure where you draw the line on that.  Because in Rory's case, I don't call it a choke in terms of hitting bad shots.  I call it pressing.  He was trying to force the issue instead if sticking to the game plan and staying patient.  He should have kept going to the safe part of the green and wait for a true green light situation instead of going into attack mode for the back 9.

Granted, the putting is still a problem,  but overall he actually has been putting better in last few months.  He made many putts over the weekend that not long ago were automatic misses.

Agree. Choke is what Louis did on the tee of 17 all the way to the layup on 18.  And I love the guy.  But you’ve got 8 miles right on 17.  Play for par knowing birdie will come on 18.    But once in a do or die situation I don’t know how you don’t try to hit 3 or 7 wood from the rough to try to tie.  Maybe $ came into mind ? If so I guess , but I just assumed he wasn’t hand to mouth.  Not that I’m judging that. I’m just saying I’d understand it if it were true.  

rory didn’t collapse.  He just faded away.  

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

5 hours ago, TiScape said:

Ok. So they’re paying “only” 500 million. My point was they paid a sh*t load of $. So there are gonna be A LOT of commercials! 🤪

Its kinda funny how they went commercial-free during the USWO yet seemed to have just as many commercials this weekend just like it was a regular tour event.  

However, this is the drawback to having a major during prime time on a major TV network on a Sunday night.  Its the most watched time of the week.  There's no way there was NOT going to be a lot of commercials.  

As far as the tournament goes, it was a nice tournament.  Good to have a major on a Sunday where it wasnt really clear until the final two holes who was going to win.  I will say though that Torrey Pines just doesnt do it for me.  I mean, its a beast of a course and all, but there's nothing about it that excites me as opposed to some of the other Open courses that are in the rota.  

4 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

True. He does ride the emotional highs and lows to their peaks.  

but putting plays into this too.  If he could just learn to let them go no matter the outcome.  Let it go and execute the next.  Cant put much worse really. He has to have lost 4-5 shots to the best putter in the field yesterday.  

Strokes gained putting Rahm vs. Rory. Unfortunately the last round gives away who is who.

But hardly "can't putt much worse" ? Hmmmmmm

1226002927_WRXUSOPENSGP.png.31d0572c6dda58f8905c56d651622487.png

Titleist Pro V1X

7 minutes ago, CasualLie said:

Yes, maybe there are different ways to see it.

But here is the putt on 11. It’s not even 4 feet. It’s uphill. And there’s nothing to it.

This is like dropping a pass thrown right in your bread basket from 10 yards in the end zone. In the Super Bowl.

Its like missing an unguarded layup to take the lead in the NBA finals.

Its like a missing an easy ground ball to end the inning and letting the tying run score in the World Series. It’s not like Buckner but it’s in that realm!

54015446-A698-4141-8078-A033BAE4B96B.jpeg

• Like 3

I'm not a Rahm fan, but the apparel switch from Nike to TM was one of the best "fashion" moves in years...with his physique, the body hugging Nike looked awful (and uncomfortable too!)...TM looked really nice on high sturdy build...nice colors and patterns, as opposed to all the tie dye inspired shirts other manufacturers are producing.

As for Louis...Rahm has shown repeatedly the ability to make big shots during the high pressure moments.  Louis just sort of fades away or is stuck in neutral...gotta be mental, right?

12 minutes ago, Frankensteins Monster said:

Thanks. Unfortunately not available to view in the US.

That's a shame. He basically turns up and takes about 12 big divots before starting a routine when he places the ball immediately in front of the bare patch of earth he has created. He then sticks the club in the ground on his second practice shot, which is what the commentators said he was worried about as could damage his risk. He the starts attacking the area again with a wedge, then kicking it up with his shoe before Greller steps in to start digging too with the wedge. This screen grab will give you an idea.

image.png.abf52d2aceb18aee0ba1df960af26eb0.png

• Like 1

No doubt the putting mess on 11 was pretty bad for a top player.  And he knew it.  It was like something snapped him out of his game face when he missed that putt and then #12 was a loss of focus.  

Obviously we cannot speak for Rory, but just listening to him over the years I am not sure he even knows what he wants.  The last story is about him seeing his buddy Tiger only keeps the major trophies around, so now Rory is focused on majors.  A big change from when he tried to tell us that the was going to treat the Masters / majors like any other 72 hole tournament.  And before that told us he didn't like golf as much as he did as a kid, told us he would never work/focus on golf to a Tiger level, etc...

We know he is super talented so a high bar is set.  Blame Tiger.  The super talented of this generation, whether it be Cupcake, Brooksy, Rahm, Xander, even DJ, etc...they will never reach half the heights of Tiger, but we still want it.  We still look for it.

I still like watching Rory any time he tees it up.  And I think he will figure it out.  Majors are hard to win...period.  So he may not get another as the field is quite deep.  But I think he will.  I see that putting getting a little better and he gets over the hump at Augusta to get his career grand slam.  And won't be surprised to see him pick up another US Open and PGA.  He's supposed to be the constant favorite for the Open, but that tournament is so random it takes more than your fair share of luck to win it in a normal year.  

I still have confidence in Rors if for no other reason than, if Phil can do it, why can't he???

• Like 2

I keep replaying the putts Rahm made on #17 & #18. Those were nasty: big breaking left to righters. Making one of them would have been huge, making both to win the US Open by a shot is absolutely epic! Anyone know the length of them? I thought they were both 20ish feet or a little shorter.

That's how you win a US Open. I hope some other guys who were in contention take note.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jonsnow said:

My impression of Rory for some time has been that he is a frontrunner all the way. When he is on & in full flight, he can be breathtaking to watch. But he doesn't have much of the grinder in him; a bad shot or break when he's in contention & his body language completely changes. The year he & Reed were in the final group Sunday at the Masters, you could tell he was done when he missed the shortish eagle putt on #2.

Tend to agree.  I feel like he will have three out of four good rounds.  It is hard to predict when the clunker will come and what the impact will be.  I have seen him have three rounds in a row that were great and then have a dud final round. 

He has had the dud round on the first or second day, make the cut on/near the number, have an outstanding third round to get back in contention and then a still pretty good fourth that comes up short.

Just a Rory observation of mine.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pleasedwith3putts said:

That's a shame. He basically turns up and takes about 12 big divots before starting a routine when he places the ball immediately in front of the bare patch of earth he has created. He then sticks the club in the ground on his second practice shot, which is what the commentators said he was worried about as could damage his risk. He the starts attacking the area again with a wedge, then kicking it up with his shoe before Greller steps in to start digging too with the wedge. This screen grab will give you an idea.

That's weird.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

Strokes gained putting Rahm vs. Rory. Unfortunately the last round gives away who is who.

But hardly "can't putt much worse" ? Hmmmmmm

1226002927_WRXUSOPENSGP.png.31d0572c6dda58f8905c56d651622487.png

Who putted best of the field ? 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

23 minutes ago, manku said:

I'm not a Rahm fan, but the apparel switch from Nike to TM was one of the best "fashion" moves in years...with his physique, the body hugging Nike looked awful (and uncomfortable too!)...TM looked really nice on high sturdy build...nice colors and patterns, as opposed to all the tie dye inspired shirts other manufacturers are producing.

As for Louis...Rahm has shown repeatedly the ability to make big shots during the high pressure moments.  Louis just sort of fades away or is stuck in neutral...gotta be mental, right?

Adidas not Nike

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

47 minutes ago, CasualLie said:

You say he didn’t choke but go on to say he made mental mistakes and lost patience. Aren’t those elements of a choke?

23 minutes ago, Pleasedwith3putts said:

Must have had a reason and the USGA has likely more than compensated the City/course for whatever damage was really done.

One of the things I noticed yesterday was how composed Rahm was at 18.  It was a higher risk shot to go at the pin from the bunker where he was short sided. Instead he plays above the hole and uses the slope knowing he can't get it close but guaranteeing a par.  He could still make the putt, which he did, but it removed losing the tournament by blowing the riskier shot at the pin.  Meanwhile, Louie is on 17 and hits driver in the only place he can lose the tourney while he still had 18 to play while only one back on the 17th tee.  If you dialed back the years it was like watching Tiger and Phil all over again.  Rahm played to make sure he gave himself a chance for a playoff at worst.  Louie played like he had to win it in 72 holes no matter what.  Of course he has lost both playoffs he's been in in majors.

It pains me to say it, but Oosthuizen needs a blonde wig and a big red Spalding bag.

He's essentially this millenium's Greg Norman.

• Haha 4

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Pal

14 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Who putted best of the field ? 

:classic_laugh: 

Not "best of the field" isn't "can't putt much worse".

But you already know that. :classic_wink:

Titleist Pro V1X

4 minutes ago, Hawkeye77 said:

Must have had a reason and the USGA has likely more than compensated the City/course for whatever damage was really done.

Apparently the ground is really hard and the club digs in so players were worried about wrist injuries. He chunked his second practice shot which triggered a load more turf being removed including kicking up with his heel before then continuing to try to hit shots with the ball in front of the bare earth so there was nothing catching the club on the follow through. 

1 minute ago, Pleasedwith3putts said:

Apparently the ground is really hard and the club digs in so players were worried about wrist injuries. He chunked his second practice shot which triggered a load more turf being removed including kicking up with his heel before then continuing to try to hit shots with the ball in front of the bare earth so there was nothing catching the club on the follow through. 

Don't blame him a bit.

11 minutes ago, dalehead said:

You say he didn’t choke but go on to say he made mental mistakes and lost patience. Aren’t those elements of a choke?

It's a fine line.  Hence, I started framing as a question.  I can see others calling it a choke, it's another perspective.  But for me, not quite.  Choke to me always has some element that the pressure drove a physical / mental reaction that one just cannot help it.  Rory made that classic mental mistake many make on a golf course by trying to make up for a bad bogey too fast.  Choke is a little harsh, he knew what he was doing.  Stubborn mule might be the better description.  But again, not going to begrudge anyone calling it a choke.