New Callaway Chrome Soft XLS 22 Ball

youngwaldo

22 hours ago, Viper4225 said:

That's disappointing to hear about the durability. Which felt softer off the putter face - CSX or CSX LS?

Thanks!

They are both pretty much the same feel wise off putter IMO.  If I remember correctly, one of the members here explained to me that the compression is the same for both balls but that the outer cover is slightly different. 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

On 1/31/2022 at 6:29 AM, Viper4225 said:

That's disappointing to hear about the durability. Which felt softer off the putter face - CSX or CSX LS?

Thanks!

They both felt very similar softness off the putter. Maybe a barely noticeable touch more from the CSX, but nothing clicky

15 minutes ago, jml4 said:

Unfortunately that I don't know as I've been playing TP5. To be honest, I don't think I've ever steadily played Pro V1s so not sure what's wrong with me haha

That only shows your level of good taste.

• Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/31/2022 at 7:06 AM, KhiloD said:

my CSX LS are showing up today and I have an hour on the Quad on Thursday booked. Can't wait to see how they perform vs last gen X and X LS. Really hoping for more durability!

Report?  Wrxrs gotta know! 

🤖 A.I Smoke TD 10.5 w/ GD VF 5S

Sim 2 Ti 5W w/Diamana TB 70S

2024 Apex UW w/Tensei 1K Pro Blue 70S

Apex Pro 4-5 Nippon Modus 105S 

Apex CB 6-PW Nippon Modus 105S 

Jaws Raw 50S, 54W, 58Z

DF3

Chrome Tour X

20 minutes ago, Avidswampthing66 said:

Report?  Wrxrs gotta know! 

I have used them twice now for a couple of hours. Enjoy them off the driver but the irons wedges leave a lot to be desired for me. 

I think I'm going back on the search unfortunately. 

• Thanks 1

Driver - Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 8° w/ Fujikura Ventus Blue 6X

3 Wood - Ping G425 14.5° w/ Fujikura Ventus Black 7X

Hybrid - Ping G425 17° w/ Accra TZ SIX 85H M5

Hybrid - Ping G430 20.5° w/ Accra TZ6 Proto 85H M5

5 Iron - Mizuno JPX 923 Hot Metal Pro w/ Nippon Modus 120S

6-GW - Mizuno JPX 923 Forged w/ Nippon Modus 120S

Sand Wedge - Callaway JAWS Full Toe Raw Black 53° w/ Nippon Modus 125

Lob Wedge - Callaway JAWS Full Toe Raw Black 58° w/ BGT ZNE 130

Putter - Odyssey Ai-One Double Wide DB 32.5" w/ Garsen Max Grip

Ball - Callaway Chrome Tour Triple Track

On 2/1/2022 at 9:07 AM, phizzy30 said:

They are both pretty much the same feel wise off putter IMO.  If I remember correctly, one of the members here explained to me that the compression is the same for both balls but that the outer cover is slightly different. 

Is it true that the LS launches higher? I read that while they are super long and low spin, you will also hit them to the moon and Im looking for something that is lower launch that is LS (if that even exists)

On 12/2/2021 at 3:58 PM, Abh159 said:

I'm a Bridgestone ball guy, but someone gave me a dozen CSX a few weeks back so I tested them out last week mainly just out of curiosity. I literally went through 3 balls in the first 5 holes due to durability alone. Two I had to toss after they cover shredded from a greenside bunker shot, and the third I had to toss after the cover shredded following a 3/4 gap wedge approach into a green. I went back to my Bridgestones after that.

Overall I thought the ball was fine. It launched slightly higher than I would want and spun a bit more than I'd like, but man that durability issue is a serious problem. No was I could play that ball regularly. If I did I'd be going through half a dozen each round without actually losing any...

lol.....the old "durability" post.....i love these

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 2/17/2022 at 8:57 AM, akronswitness said:

Is it true that the LS launches higher? I read that while they are super long and low spin, you will also hit them to the moon and Im looking for something that is lower launch that is LS (if that even exists)

The 2021 version of the LS will launch lower than the regular CSX.  Not sure how the 2022 versions compare to each other. 

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

The pro at my course gave me a couple of the CS X triple track balls to try out.  I played 27 holes with the same ball and didn't notice any of the durability issues noted above.  I usually play prov1s and really like the feel and performance of the CS X and the triple track is nice for putting.  I'm going to buy a dozen and may try some of the CS X LS.  So far I'm really liking the ball.  

• Like 2

Ping G400 max
Ping G410 5 wood
Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

Titleist T350 irons
54* & 58* Sub70 JB Wedges
PXG Operator H w/ BGT stability tour shaft or  SIK FLO C with LAGP shaft

Bought a dozen of these and think I'll give them a whirl today. Been trying the new AVX and they seem good; I also like the '22 Chromesoft, got a couple of sleeves of those as a freebie to demo. 

Ping G400 MAX 9° Motore Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec S

Mizuno ST-3 15° 3W Ventus Blue Velocore 70S

Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 19° 3H HZRDUS Smoke Black 80X
                                                  PXG 0211 XCOR2 Xtreme Dark 5-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80S
Edison 55°/59° DG 115 S200 Tour Issue
Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

9 hours ago, TJ83 said:

Tried this ball today for the first time. Been playing prov1x left dash.

Ill start by saying I'm a +1 cap, high speed m, high spin player. The left dash has been a great ball for me, only gripe is it is pretty clunky feeling (to me haha) off the putter. And perhaps the left dash launches pretty high for me as well. Spin control is great through. 

Chromesoft X LS was great today, its always windy here. Wind was blowing about 20mph with gusts to 35mph. CSX LS was wonderful at holding its line. Trajectory was also excellent launching initially lower than the left dash. Distance off the tee was a wash with the left dash. My wedges and irons distance wise were thr same as left dash, however it seemed the CSX LS stopped a bit quicker.

Short game: around and on the green is where this ball really surprised me. It spins quite easily, never had issues with the left dash but damn this CSX LS can stop on a dime if you want it to. Also it was noticeably softer off the putter which I prefer. 

Sorry for the kinda lame write up haha. But I'm seriously thinking about switching to the CSX LS and that's saying something because I don't care for the chromesoft or the chromesoft x at all. 

Last thing, cover of the ball was plenty durable. I did hit a cart path today and it scuffed but was still playable. Other than the cart path I had zero issues with cover durability. 

I agree with all of this. The LD has been so good for me but I feel like the CSX LS may give me a little more help in the wind and more options with wedges.  I also recently started appreciating the benefits of yellow a bit more. I wasn't sure how I'd feel about the triple tracks but do line my ball up with most putts and liking it so far. Throw in the buy 3 get one free and it ended up being a fairly easy decision.   

• Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke TD 9 Mitsubishi Kai'li white 70TX 

Titleist TSI 16.5 Mitsubishi PD 80TX

Titleist TSR 2 24 Fujikura Ventus Black 9x

Ping i230 U-4 x100

Ping s159 55 H x100

Vokey LBK s400 

On 2/17/2022 at 10:57 AM, akronswitness said:

You need to try the Titliest AVX it is defiantly a low spin, low launch ball. 

• Like 1
  • Driver - Ping G430 SFT 10.5 Graphite Design VR 5 R1
  • Wood - Taylormade Sim TI 5 wood 19* (17.5) Diamana 65R
  • Wood - Callaway Epic Speed 7 wood 21* HZRDUS 60-5.5
  • Hybrid - Ping G430 22* R 
  • Hybrid - Ping G425 26* @ 25* R
  • Irons - Ping i210 6-PW Modus 105 R 
  • Wedge - Ping Glide 2.0 50* AWT 
  • Wedge - Callaway  MD3 Milled 56/10 TT Elevate MPH 95 R
  • Putter - Odyssey White Hot OG #7 Bird 34” 
  • Ball - Maxfli Tour 

This iteration of the LS is now my gamer.  I loved the distance that the last iteration had, however I hated the lack of spin around the greens.  I got accustomed to some check from my ball on chips and shorter pitches, and I was not getting that with the old LS.  With this new LS I am getting that control again.  I swear they took the 2020 Chrome Soft X, and placed LS at the end of it.  This ball is fantastic.

I’ve played 7 rounds with this and really like it. Played Left Dash exclusively last year, didn’t care much for Gen 1 X LS. The new ball is outstanding in the wind. We’re in that time of year where the weather flip flops between 35 and 55 degrees depending on the day, so it’s quite windy when weather changes. These hold their line through the wind as well as anything I’ve ever played. Short game spin seems to be up vs Gen 1. Distance and spin off the driver seem to be pretty similar. 

Stealth Plus+ 10.5* || Ventus Blue TR 7x

SIM2 Rescue 17* || Ventus Blue HB 8x

X-Forged UT 18* || MMT UT 105tx

TSi2 21* || Ventus Black HB 10tx

T100/620MB 5-9 || DG X7

SM9 47 || DG X7

SM9 51, 55, 59 || DG X1

BB8 Tri Wiz Cu Insert || BGT Stability Tour

Bettinardi BKS #1

On 3/6/2022 at 3:07 AM, TJ83 said:

Tried this ball today for the first time. Been playing prov1x left dash.

Ill start by saying I'm a +1 cap, high speed m, high spin player. The left dash has been a great ball for me, only gripe is it is pretty clunky feeling (to me haha) off the putter. And perhaps the left dash launches pretty high for me as well. Spin control is great through. 

Chromesoft X LS was great today, its always windy here. Wind was blowing about 20mph with gusts to 35mph. CSX LS was wonderful at holding its line. Trajectory was also excellent launching initially lower than the left dash. Distance off the tee was a wash with the left dash. My wedges and irons distance wise were thr same as left dash, however it seemed the CSX LS stopped a bit quicker.

Short game: around and on the green is where this ball really surprised me. It spins quite easily, never had issues with the left dash but damn this CSX LS can stop on a dime if you want it to. Also it was noticeably softer off the putter which I prefer. 

Sorry for the kinda lame write up haha. But I'm seriously thinking about switching to the CSX LS and that's saying something because I don't care for the chromesoft or the chromesoft x at all. 

Last thing, cover of the ball was plenty durable. I did hit a cart path today and it scuffed but was still playable. Other than the cart path I had zero issues with cover durability. 

Are you gaming this year or or last year's version?  I have been using last year's version which is firmer and spins less than this year's.  I also have a couple boxes of left dash which I've been testing.  I like both and use the CSX LS when it's windy and the left dash when conditions are benign. 

54 minutes ago, MPAndreassi said:

I’ve played 7 rounds with this and really like it. Played Left Dash exclusively last year, didn’t care much for Gen 1 X LS. The new ball is outstanding in the wind. We’re in that time of year where the weather flip flops between 35 and 55 degrees depending on the day, so it’s quite windy when weather changes. These hold their line through the wind as well as anything I’ve ever played. Short game spin seems to be up vs Gen 1. Distance and spin off the driver seem to be pretty similar. 

What didn't you like about last year's version?  I still have a box left of 1st gen and it's been great for me.  I actually prefer a low spin ball with irons as too much spin wreaks havoc with distance control. I wasn't too thrilled when I found out that this year's version spins more with irons. 

Edited by phizzy30

11 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

What didn't you like about last year's version?  I still have a box left of 1st gen and it's been great for me.  I actually prefer a low spin ball with irons as too much spin wreaks havoc with distance control. I wasn't too thrilled when I found out that this year's version spins more with irons. 

I guess it's more appropriate to say I just liked the Left Dash more so I stuck with that. I haven't really noticed that much more iron spin, with the new one versus the one from last year if that makes you feel any better. The only increase in spin I noticed are with the half speed or low speed shots around the green. 

• Thanks 1

Stealth Plus+ 10.5* || Ventus Blue TR 7x

SIM2 Rescue 17* || Ventus Blue HB 8x

X-Forged UT 18* || MMT UT 105tx

TSi2 21* || Ventus Black HB 10tx

T100/620MB 5-9 || DG X7

SM9 47 || DG X7

SM9 51, 55, 59 || DG X1

BB8 Tri Wiz Cu Insert || BGT Stability Tour

Bettinardi BKS #1

Just now, MPAndreassi said:

I guess it's more appropriate to say I just liked the Left Dash more so I stuck with that. I haven't really noticed that much more iron spin, with the new one versus the one from last year if that makes you feel any better. The only increase in spin I noticed are with the half speed or low speed shots around the green. 

Ah ok.  If that's the case, then I'm ok with that.  I should probably stick with just one ball, but I love to tinker with golf balls. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phizzy30 said:

Are you gaming this year or or last year's version?  I have been using last year's version which is firmer and spins less than this year's.  I also have a couple boxes of left dash which I've been testing.  I like both and use the CSX LS when it's windy and the left dash when conditions are benign. 

I think it might be last years version looking at the box lol. I have a tournament this weekend so I'll stick with the left dash because I know that ball already. I'll have to check the shop I went to to see if they have the new model coming in and try that one. I really love the left dash but wish it felt better off my putter and perhaps launched a little lower, but im nit picking haha. Perhaps the left dot is the ball I'm looking for but im not paying the ridiculous prices for those things, helpfully they bring it to retail! 

• Thanks 1