New Callaway Chrome Soft XLS 22 Ball

youngwaldo

New Ball Callaway staffers like Xander Scauffele, Marc Leischman, and Sam Sounders are already playing. 
It produces  higher ball speed with reduced spin and low launch.  Have to try it and compare it to my PROV1 and TP5. 

WK

18B1C5A5-112D-4728-B48A-4D91483A90BD.jpeg

074A0AEF-5AB5-4E05-9737-66275E0BF74C.jpeg

D018FB4C-F723-466C-8AFE-971BA440FE64.jpeg

Edited by youngwaldo
  • Like 1

Titleist TSR3 Diamana White Stiff

TM Stealth2 Plus 3Wood Ventis Black Velicore S

Titleist T200U 3 and 4 iron Mitsubishi Tensei Whte 8S 

Titleist T100 5-PW AMTWhite S

Vokey SM10 50, 54, 58  AMT White

Scotty Tour Rat

PROV1 Left Dash

Is this a 2022 ball or the 2021 released Chrome Soft X LS? I thought for 2022 the name Chrome Soft went away. 

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Mizuno OMOI Type 3

Titleist Pro V1x

I’m wondering if that’s a tour only version of last year’s ball. I do not know for a fact, just speculating

Twitter: @Ed_Settle        My WITB
Driver:           Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9.0 +2 GD Tour AD HD 6X
Fairway:        Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 3W/15*  Tensei Wht AV 70S

Utility W:         Callaway UW 19* HZRDUS Black RDX 6.0 S
Hybrid:          Callaway Apex Pro 4/21* KBS Hybrid 85S

Irons:             Callaway X Forged Star 5-PW Modus 105 S
Wedges:       Callaway Jaws Raw 48S/53W/58Z DG S200 
Putter:           2022 Toulon Design Small Batch Austin 34" 

Ball:               2022 Callaway CSX LS
Bag:               VESSEL Blk Lux Cart Bag 14 way   

Yeah, the CS and 22 make me think this could the new ball in disguise. Too early to reveal the new ball name. 

• Like 1

Mizuno OMOI Type 3

Titleist Pro V1x

1 hour ago, GHIN n Juice said:

The number 1 reason I’ll never play a ball from Callaway.  Every few years they randomly change the name and then I have no idea where to start.  Pick a name and stick with it.

Kinda hard to blame Callaway in this instance when the term “soft” has been characterized as slow in ball speed, lacking distance and bad manufacturing by golf chat sites and their golf ball competition. I highly doubt you’ll have a hard time picking a parallel ball from the new line considering the new balls will share some characteristics of the outgoing balls. 

• Like 1

Mizuno OMOI Type 3

Titleist Pro V1x

On 11/19/2021 at 1:53 PM, noodle3872 said:

Is this a 2022 ball or the 2021 released Chrome Soft X LS? I thought for 2022 the name Chrome Soft went away. 

New for 2022

Wk

Titleist TSR3 Diamana White Stiff

TM Stealth2 Plus 3Wood Ventis Black Velicore S

Titleist T200U 3 and 4 iron Mitsubishi Tensei Whte 8S 

Titleist T100 5-PW AMTWhite S

Vokey SM10 50, 54, 58  AMT White

Scotty Tour Rat

PROV1 Left Dash

Apparently they're sticking with the Chrome Soft name but revamped the ball. New core, construction etc. etc.

D - TSR3 | Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W - Stealth+ | Ventus Blue 7X

5W - TSR2 | AD DI 8X

4H - TSR2 | AD DI 9X

5-PW - MP-223 | PX LZ 6.5

50/55/60 - MG4 | DG TI S400

P - Studio Stainless NP2 350g

B - ProV1x

B - Linksmaster

On 11/19/2021 at 2:16 PM, GHIN n Juice said:

The number 1 reason I’ll never play a ball from Callaway.  Every few years they randomly change the name and then I have no idea where to start.  Pick a name and stick with it.

Personally, I think it's worse when they don't change the name, but change the characteristics, and you have to try to track the model years based on different side stamps.  It's easier if the name were merely different.

• Like 3

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

On 11/19/2021 at 12:16 PM, GHIN n Juice said:

Lol.

• Confused 1

TSR3 9° Tensei Black 65X
TSi2 15° ATX Green 75TX
917F 18° ATX Green 85X
ZX5 MkII 4-5 / ZX7 MkII 6-P  Modus 120X
ZipCore 50° Modus 120X

Vokey SM9 54S/60M Modus 125 Wedge
Nike Neo

ZStar

On 11/23/2021 at 4:51 PM, kwainio said:

Apparently they're sticking with the Chrome Soft name but revamped the ball. New core, construction etc. etc.

Exactly! I reached out to Jason Finley and he confirmed the model name Chrome Soft isn’t anywhere. 

Mizuno OMOI Type 3

Titleist Pro V1x

13 hours ago, cardigan said:

I still haven't seen anything besides the one thread someone started back in September that would indicate a name change.  Even though he seemed very certain that he had credible information, I'd need to see some other sources say the same thing before I put any stock in it.

When Jason Finley, head of Callaway's ball department, says Chrome Soft is still the name, take it to the bank.  

• Like 1

Mizuno OMOI Type 3

Titleist Pro V1x

I finally found my ball after the 15 Prov1X. I have been searching over and over and settled on the 21 CSX. I hope they do not mess with it too much, fixing the cover though would be great. The ball spins enough for me and flights my wedges lower which for a picker is awesome.

• Like 1

PING G430 10K Max 9 degree (digitally lofted) DI VF 6X tipped .5". 44.5" D5 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

JAILBIRD CRUISER 38"

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

2024 TP5X (as of now)

I played and stocked up on the 21 LS so I am hoping that the 22 is improved. The only thing that bugged me about the last one was the durability. Flushed wedge shots would literally fold the cover onto itself causing massive cracks and scrapes. From what I've heard this shouldnt be a problem anymore. But time will tell. I'll be ordering some first thing when they are launched. 

D - Callaway Paradym TD 10.5 @ N/S w/ Mitsubishi Kai'Li Red 60tx

2H - Ping G430 w/ Accra TZ5 90H M5, FLAT

4H - Ping G430 w/ Aldila Rogue Black 95tx

DI - Ping iCrossover 4iron w/ Tensei CK PRO Orange 90tx

5&6 Edel SMS, 7-PW Edel SMS Pro w/ Accra TZi 105

Wedges - Callaway JAWS RAW 52W @ 51, 56W @ 54, 60X @ 60, 60Z @ 62 w/ Accra iSteel Wedge 120, Z Grind Gamer has a BGT ZNE 130 

Grips - SuperStroke S-Tech Cord (White) 2+2 

Putter - My TaylorMade TP Soto w/ Mitsubishi MMT & SuperStroke Tour 3.0 17 @ 38.5" 

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

SuperStroke TXR1000 Rangefinder, Ping Tour Glove, UnderArmour 

12 minutes ago, jmorrow020 said:

The only thing that bugged me about the last one was the durability. Flushed wedge shots would literally fold the cover onto itself causing massive cracks and scrapes.

I'm a Bridgestone ball guy, but someone gave me a dozen CSX a few weeks back so I tested them out last week mainly just out of curiosity. I literally went through 3 balls in the first 5 holes due to durability alone. Two I had to toss after they cover shredded from a greenside bunker shot, and the third I had to toss after the cover shredded following a 3/4 gap wedge approach into a green. I went back to my Bridgestones after that.

Overall I thought the ball was fine. It launched slightly higher than I would want and spun a bit more than I'd like, but man that durability issue is a serious problem. No was I could play that ball regularly. If I did I'd be going through half a dozen each round without actually losing any...

1 minute ago, Abh159 said:

I'm a Bridgestone ball guy, but someone gave me a dozen CSX a few weeks back so I tested them out last week mainly just out of curiosity. I literally went through 3 balls in the first 5 holes due to durability alone. Two I had to toss after they cover shredded from a greenside bunker shot, and the third I had to toss after the cover shredded following a 3/4 gap wedge approach into a green. I went back to my Bridgestones after that.

Overall I thought the ball was fine. It launched slightly higher than I would want and spun a bit more than I'd like, but man that durability issue is a serious problem. No was I could play that ball regularly. If I did I'd be going through half a dozen each round without actually losing any...

The only ball that came close for me last year was the Srixon Z Star XV. But it was a little too spinny on iron shots for me, and off the tee just a tad shorter. The CSXLS was just perfect. It was so predictable. The cover just sucks. I've got a rejects bucket at home with probably 3 dozen balls that I wouldnt play in a round, but they are nice to have as a shag bag for short game practice, or balls that I hit on the range before I get to the first tee box so I can see what's actually going on vs. a range ball. Really hoping the '22 version is a better cover. that's my only complaint about them. 

D - Callaway Paradym TD 10.5 @ N/S w/ Mitsubishi Kai'Li Red 60tx

2H - Ping G430 w/ Accra TZ5 90H M5, FLAT

4H - Ping G430 w/ Aldila Rogue Black 95tx

DI - Ping iCrossover 4iron w/ Tensei CK PRO Orange 90tx

5&6 Edel SMS, 7-PW Edel SMS Pro w/ Accra TZi 105

Wedges - Callaway JAWS RAW 52W @ 51, 56W @ 54, 60X @ 60, 60Z @ 62 w/ Accra iSteel Wedge 120, Z Grind Gamer has a BGT ZNE 130 

Grips - SuperStroke S-Tech Cord (White) 2+2 

Putter - My TaylorMade TP Soto w/ Mitsubishi MMT & SuperStroke Tour 3.0 17 @ 38.5" 

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

SuperStroke TXR1000 Rangefinder, Ping Tour Glove, UnderArmour 

• 2 weeks later...

I had a sleeve of these and left them at the shop and someone made off with them.  Oh well.

Ping G400 MAX 9° Motore Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec S

Mizuno ST-3 15° 3W Ventus Blue Velocore 70S

Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 19° 3H HZRDUS Smoke Black 80X
                                                  PXG 0211 XCOR2 Xtreme Dark 5-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80S
Edison 55°/59° DG 115 S200 Tour Issue
Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

Curious to try this vs the dot next season provided they're both readily available. As a high spin player off all clubs it's great to have these options showing up more. 

The original as said above was good, but going through a sleeve or more a round due to wear and tear when I rarely lose a ball is kind of a bugger.

• 1 month later...

Looks like the Chrome Soft '22 balls are out now. Ordered a box of CS XLS yesterday. Spy is saying that the new ball is 5 points softer in compression and now similar to CS X. Also hearing they worked on addressing the cover durability issue. Tour adoption suggests that the new XLS is a solid ball. Last Callaway ball I played was Hex Black. Will be trying this ball out against BX and - V1x. 

Edited by cw1209
  • Like 2

Cobra Aerojet LS 10.5* - Hzrdus Black Gen 4 60 6.5 / Aerojet LS 3 - AD TP 7X / SZ Tour 5 - AD TP 8X / Apex 21 4H - AD IZ 95X / Cobra Tour 5-P, RTX6 50 M KBS $ Taper HT S+ / 56F - KBS 610S / 60M KBS Hi Rev 2.0 S/ White Hot OG #7 CH / Maxfli Tour

Currently gaming last year's model.  I alternate between the CSX LS, MTB-X and left dash.  CSX LS is def low launch and spin and very firm.  Doesn't spin enough with irons at times for me, but checks every other box. 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Want to get a bit more time on these, but picked up a dz of both the CSX and the XLS to compare against the TP5.

Got a round in today and played XLS on front 9, CSX on back. Putter feel for all three felt pretty similar to me. Off driver, I really felt like the XLS gained a bit distance-wise. I am a high launch player, and this one seemed to fly same height as TP5, but never felt like it ballooned at all. Short game was not amazing outside of holing out a 26 yd pitch (with the XLS) but spin felt a bit more prominent than my TP5. On the 26 yd hole out, the XLS went high traj, one hop and hit stick and dropped in. On a clean struck short game shot, the XLS does feel really good.

I will say the durability is still a concern to me and why I've never seriously stuck with a Chrome soft. The XLS held up but had noticeable black marks from contact with club face, and a bit of the triple track paint chipped off from point of contact. I'm not one to ditch a ball just because of this, unless it's really scuffed up but I've not had that type of condition after a few holes with the TP5. The Chrome Soft X durability felt even worse. Had multiple cuts that fold over on itself from wedge shots. Tough pill at $50/dz.

Right now, partly due to how I played front vs back, the XLS seems to be the standout for me. Combined with the CSX crappy durability, it seems like it works well. Hoping to get more rounds with them and get on a monitor to see actual numbers.

Edited by jml4
  • Like 1

my CSX LS are showing up today and I have an hour on the Quad on Thursday booked. Can't wait to see how they perform vs last gen X and X LS. Really hoping for more durability!

Driver - Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 8° w/ Fujikura Ventus Blue 6X

3 Wood - Ping G425 14.5° w/ Fujikura Ventus Black 7X

Hybrid - Ping G425 17° w/ Accra TZ SIX 85H M5

Hybrid - Ping G430 20.5° w/ Accra TZ6 Proto 85H M5

5 Iron - Mizuno JPX 923 Hot Metal Pro w/ Nippon Modus 120S

6-GW - Mizuno JPX 923 Forged w/ Nippon Modus 120S

Sand Wedge - Callaway JAWS Full Toe Raw Black 53° w/ Nippon Modus 125

Lob Wedge - Callaway JAWS Full Toe Raw Black 58° w/ BGT ZNE 130

Putter - Odyssey Ai-One Double Wide DB 32.5" w/ Garsen Max Grip

Ball - Callaway Chrome Tour Triple Track

10 hours ago, jml4 said:

Want to get a bit more time on these, but picked up a dz of both the CSX and the XLS to compare against the TP5.

Got a round in today and played XLS on front 9, CSX on back. Putter feel for all three felt pretty similar to me. Off driver, I really felt like the XLS gained a bit distance-wise. I am a high launch player, and this one seemed to fly same height as TP5, but never felt like it ballooned at all. Short game was not amazing outside of holing out a 26 yd pitch (with the XLS) but spin felt a bit more prominent than my TP5. On the 26 yd hole out, the XLS went high traj, one hop and hit stick and dropped in. On a clean struck short game shot, the XLS does feel really good.

I will say the durability is still a concern to me and why I've never seriously stuck with a Chrome soft. The XLS held up but had noticeable black marks from contact with club face, and a bit of the triple track paint chipped off from point of contact. I'm not one to ditch a ball just because of this, unless it's really scuffed up but I've not had that type of condition after a few holes with the TP5. The Chrome Soft X durability felt even worse. Had multiple cuts that fold over on itself from wedge shots. Tough pill at $50/dz.

Right now, partly due to how I played front vs back, the XLS seems to be the standout for me. Combined with the CSX crappy durability, it seems like it works well. Hoping to get more rounds with them and get on a monitor to see actual numbers.

That's disappointing to hear about the durability. Which felt softer off the putter face - CSX or CSX LS?

Thanks!