2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Hit a 43.75" driver (LST 425) today-wow!

RoyalMustang

I like life experiences like this. It was the same for me going to 44.25 and 44.5 inch drivers . Both were far better numbers than a 45.5 and 45.75 inch drivers. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

1 hour ago, NoTalentLefty said:

I like life experiences like this. It was the same for me going to 44.25 and 44.5 inch drivers . Both were far better numbers than a 45.5 and 45.75 inch drivers. 

Same experience with me... Now I play a 44.5" and I'm longer and more accurate. 

I've wanted to try 43.5" but no where to demo that because you need about 10-15 grams more in the head. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RoyalMustang said:

I didn't have more accuracy with the LST; I still had a couple of snap hooks...

I don't think a snap hook is a good example of whether or not the shorter shaft is helping you make better contact.  At least for me, a snap hook is from when I get out of position and there's pretty much no shaft length that is going to save me from that.

If you want to see if the shorter shaft is helping out, using some foot powder spray on the face to keep track of impact location will show you if you are making more consistent contact.

• Like 3

Titleist TSR4, 7.25*, Aldila Rogue Black 95 MSI 70 S
Titleist TS3, 14.25*, Speeder VC 8.2 Tour Spec X
Titleist 818 H2 17*, Speeder VC 8.8 HB Tour Spec S
Mizuno MP H5, 3 iron, C Taper Lite X
Mizuno MP H5 (4&5), MP 5 (6-PW), DG X100 SSx1
Cleveland RTX6 54/12 (bent to 53*) Raw & 58/10 Black, DG Spinner
Piretti Potenza 1.5
Ball - Titleist AVX Yellow

1 hour ago, grochol17 said:

I don't think a snap hook is a good example of whether or not the shorter shaft is helping you make better contact.  At least for me, a snap hook is from when I get out of position and there's pretty much no shaft length that is going to save me from that.

If you want to see if the shorter shaft is helping out, using some foot powder spray on the face to keep track of impact location will show you if you are making more consistent contact.

Yeah, for me the snap hook is a symptom of overswinging and therefore not being in sync, which happens more often on a club I am having trouble controlling.  But I did use sunscreen today, and the strikes on the 43.75" were slightly better the 44.75".  I had more fairway swings and better tempo overall: it got me out of the mentality of trying to hit it a mile each time.  Plus, the shorter club keeps me feeling like I am staying centered over the ball, as I have a tendency to drift back on the takeaway and then try to correct.  

As this is a used club, the weight of the head must be a lot heavier than stock, either by manufacturing or by added weight.  Otherwise, I would be looking at something like C4.  

It is interesting though; I am 5 foot 9 and a pretty athletic guy at 170lbs with 10% body fat.  I do wonder, if in fact the best length for me ends up being shorter than 44", why the general public isn't offered this length as stock and the "stock" 45.25" isn't the "extra long" version. 

I was only able to test this as I ordered a pre-built, trade in driver from one of the used golf club distributors. The reason I wanted to try it is that I had a lot of success hitting the TM Mini 300, also 43.75".  However, the other poster is right: it is extremely tough to find these to test, and nobody wants to take a flyer on a $500 club that might not work out.  

Seems like a club maker would realize this at some point-they would sell more clubs by tending to actual needs! 

1 hour ago, RoyalMustang said:

It is interesting though; I am 5 foot 9 and a pretty athletic guy at 170lbs with 10% body fat.  I do wonder, if in fact the best length for me ends up being shorter than 44", why the general public isn't offered this length as stock and the "stock" 45.25" isn't the "extra long" version.

I think the length creep was because of people chasing distance on a launch monitor in a golf shop.  With the longer shaft it is possible to swing faster and since the average golfer pays attention to the one that they caught on the screws (and not the 10 slices that would end up in someone's living room) they get fooled into thinking that a 45.75" driver is better for them because ball go far.

I'm 6' and have recently moved to a 44.5" driver.  It isn't obvious that I center it any more than a 45" driver, but I feel more comfortable over the ball and, like you, I'm hoping that will help me swing more in sync.  I've got a 44" driver on order just to see how that works out on the course (whenever the weather gets better). 

One of the people on here that has done a lot of fitting might have some insight, but I'm curious what length driver actually makes sense as the stock length... like you said, something like 44" or 44.5" seems more reasonable as the starting point since it is easier to go up or down from there, rather than starting at 45.5" and trying to cut off an inch or more.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR4, 7.25*, Aldila Rogue Black 95 MSI 70 S
Titleist TS3, 14.25*, Speeder VC 8.2 Tour Spec X
Titleist 818 H2 17*, Speeder VC 8.8 HB Tour Spec S
Mizuno MP H5, 3 iron, C Taper Lite X
Mizuno MP H5 (4&5), MP 5 (6-PW), DG X100 SSx1
Cleveland RTX6 54/12 (bent to 53*) Raw & 58/10 Black, DG Spinner
Piretti Potenza 1.5
Ball - Titleist AVX Yellow

6'3 here and play my drivers at 44". 100% diminishing returns after that length and plenty long with today's tech!

• Like 1

Driver: TaylorMade QI10 9 degree Ventus TR 6X
Fairway: TaylorMade RBZ Tour 14.5 w/Tensei CK White 70TX

Hybrid: TaylorMade Rescue 11 18 degree X flex
Irons: New Level 623 CB w/Modus 105X
Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zip Core 52, 58 KBS 610 S+ 
Putter: Makefield
Ball: 2024 Chrome Tour X

I play at 44" and make centred contact far more often than I did playing at 45.5. Sure you lose a couple of mph head speed but the better ball speed makes up for it.

I know why drivers have gone that long but I'm not sure it's lead to an overall improvement in how most people play.

10.5* TM M5 Tour - Evenflow Riptide 70

15* Mizuno ST200 - Diamana S+ 70

19* (@20*) Mizuno CLK - Tensei CK Pro 70

5-PW Mizuno MP-20 MMC - Project X

50/08 & 54/11 Wilson Staff Model Wedge - DG 120

60/10 Cleveland RTX Zipcore - DG TI Spinner

Scotty Cameron SS Newport 2

Srixon Z Star

1 hour ago, Highlander 24 said:

Question if I do shorten the shaft length 1 inch should I tip a half inch and butt trim a half inch or take the full inch off the butt?

If you like where your launch is trim the butt for the whole inch.  If you want to lower your launch and stiffen the shaft up some tip trim. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cobra Aerojet 9* - LAGP A Series X Mid 

Cobra LTDX 3W - Tensei 1K 75 TX 

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 105X / Cobra LTDX 5w - Tensei Black 85 TX

Artisan HM's / Custom Nike VR Pro Blades - 6.5 Project X Blackouts

Mizuno T22 Copper 50/54 - Project X Blackout 7.0 Spinners

Vokey 58 T Grind - Project X 6.5 Blackout

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

Great post and timing, I am 6’6”, cut one of my shafts down to 44.5 from 45” last week, only one round in so far , but really liked it, 915 D2 head….

Edited by toddba11
  • Like 1

[i][b]In the Bag:[/b][/i]
Driver - Ping 430 Max 10.5 Degree - Tensei 1K 70g  45"

Fairway Woods: Wilson Dynapower (2023) 5 and 7 woods
Irons: 6 - PW trade between Titleist T200 Steel Fiber i110s, and Wilson Staffs +1" - Shafts Project X LZ 5.5
Hybrids: Ping G425 26 degree Titleist TSi2 17 and 23 degree…..Shaft Project X 90 Hyb +1"
PW: Wilson Staff Custom 52 SW: Cleveland CBX Full Face 56 10 bounce
Putter: Jon Rham Limited Naked Rossie 
Ball: Wilson Staff, Pro V or Callaway Chrome Soft
Bag: Datrek 

Cart: Bagboy Quad

I noticed This topic comes up on here about once a year. It’s funny cause it’s really moving against tides of lengthening driver shafts. Perhaps the responses of people on this thread is biased towards those who’ve had success with the shorter length, but there’s clearly something to this notion, especially with amateurs. 45.75” is clearly too darn long. 44.5” seems to be a nice sweet spot. 

• Like 2

I have a 43" shaft and hit it much more accurately and haven't noticed any loss in distance. 

Titleist TSR2 8° | TPT Power 16 Lo                                   Taylormade Stealth 9° | LinQ Purple F5                              Cobra Radspeed 9° | GD AD DI-6X 
Mizuno TS ST190 15° | GD AD-VR 7X                               Ping G425 Max 14.5° | GD AD-VR 7X                                  Wilson Dynapower 15° | Diamana D+ 70S

Taylormade Sim Ti 19° | LA Golf Trono 75x                      TEE CBX119 19° | Evenflow Black Handcrafted 85 6.0      Mizuno HMB MP20 | UST Recoil F4 95

PXG 0341X Gen4 22° | Speeder Evo2 80x                       Itobori 3-PW | NS Pro Modus 105S                                     Epon SUS316 4-PW | KBS Tour 120S

Proto Concept C01/C03 5-PW | LA Golf L-Series S        Callaway MD5 50-54-56 | TT Gold Spinner                       Vokey SM5 | TT Gold Spinner

Bettinardi HLX3.0 50-54-60 | TT S400                            Swag Handsome Too Glitch | UST All-In                           Scotty Cameron 6M | Stability Carbon / Never Compromise Dinero

Toulon Garage Tour San Diego

A little over a year ago I went to a 44” driver shaft on accident. Loved it. 

A month ago I went down to Bandon and decided stop it the 45. Whatever in the bag for the 1st round. 2 fairways hit and no distance gains at all, actually lost yardage because of off center hits. Next morning woke up and put steady Eddie back in. 10 fairways on Pacific in the morning and 11 on Bandon in the afternoon. Not switching up again. 

for those that want to try a shorter shaft just buy a stock shaft off eBay or something off Callaway Preowned and cut it down. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, RoyalMustang said:

15 hours ago, grochol17 said:

I think the length creep was because of people chasing distance on a launch monitor in a golf shop.  With the longer shaft it is possible to swing faster and since the average golfer pays attention to the one that they caught on the screws (and not the 10 slices that would end up in someone's living room) they get fooled into thinking that a 45.75" driver is better for them because ball go far.

It's entirely because distance sells, especially in the USA.  Hit it 300 yds, how far does this 7 iron go, etc.  It's all the same.

The OEMs don't want the general public to be educated on these sorts of topics.  That lack of knowledge helps their sales.

Personally, big fan of shorter drivers.  Anything over 44.25", maybe 44.5", and the ball goes everywhere for me, not in a good way.  That said, my best length is under 44", possibly as low as 43".  My swingspeed peaks around 43" to 43¼", direction is much better.  

My index rose 2+ shots in 2021 largely due to my stupidly trying drivers at 44.5" and 45" for 4-6 weeks.  More punch outs, penalty strokes, general ugliness.  Back to shorter sticks and down came the scores.

• Like 3

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

3 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

It's entirely because distance sells, especially in the USA.  Hit it 300 yds, how far does this 7 iron go, etc.  It's all the same.

The OEMs don't want the general public to be educated on these sorts of topics.  That lack of knowledge helps their sales.

Personally, big fan of shorter drivers.  Anything over 44.25", maybe 44.5", and the ball goes everywhere for me, not in a good way.  That said, my best length is under 44", possibly as low as 43".  My swingspeed peaks around 43" to 43¼", direction is much better.  

My index rose 2+ shots in 2021 largely due to my stupidly trying drivers at 44.5" and 45" for 4-6 weeks.  More punch outs, penalty strokes, general ugliness.  Back to shorter sticks and down came the scores.

Ha!  Such a cynical view, and likely right on the mark.  

Struggle with a 45"+ driver, blame the driver, buy another one, repeat.  

Oddly enough, as others have said, I don't see distance gains with a longer shaft unless it is the one swing where everything comes together, which is basically is as likely as Bartolo Colon hitting his first home run (which did happen, eventually).  

The only driver I have swung well with a 45.25" shaft was a TS3 with a Diamana BF TX 60 shaft. But something about that shaft encouraged easy swings, and I wasn't hitting it that far.  Maybe 260 carry at the most.  

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, RoyalMustang said:

Ha!  Such a cynical view, and likely right on the mark.  

Struggle with a 45"+ driver, blame the driver, buy another one, repeat.  

Oddly enough, as others have said, I don't see distance gains with a longer shaft unless it is the one swing where everything comes together, which is basically is as likely as Bartolo Colon hitting his first home run (which did happen, eventually).  

The only driver I have swung well with a 45.25" shaft was a TS3 with a Diamana BF TX 60 shaft. But something about that shaft encouraged easy swings, and I wasn't hitting it that far.  Maybe 260 carry at the most.  

A reference to the legendary Bartolo Colon home run....  it's starting out to be a glorious day.  LOL

edited to add:

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Like 3

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

23 hours ago, RoyalMustang said:

Today, I had the opportunity to check out (30-day return policy) a 43.75" Ping LST with a Tensei AV 65 White TX shaft.  I expected accuracy to be up and my ball speed to be off. boy, was I wrong! 

I compared it against my ST200 w/Atmos 6X Black, playing at 44.75", both on the range and on the course.   I have my "normal" distances on the Mizuno when struck well: typically carry 265-280 with ideal ball flight.  

I didn't have more accuracy with the LST; I still had a couple of snap hooks, but I was able to dial in a bit more of a "finish left for a controlled fade" swing later on.  The swing weight on that club is around D2.  I need more swings to really determine how accuracy is going to work out.  

I did have better distance; I don't think it was hitting the club better, as I tend to get very good strikes on the Mizuno when I swing well.  I just had a bit more carry on the LST. Without a launch monitor it is impossible to say, but it felt like with the smaller club, I was able to control my sync a bit better and generate more clubhead speed.  The loading, setting, and generating pressure from the feet all seemed to work a bit better.  

On the course, in similar conditions, I was a good 12-15 yards past where I normally hit my Mizuno when I get all of it.  Again, I don't think it is the head (as I had a 425 LST and sold it); it has to be the length of the club, or perhaps the AV white TX, which I have never played before.  I have hit a ton of drivers over the past few weeks, and nothing even came close to knocking off the Mizuno, but this one just might. 

So, FYI, I wouldn't automatically discount a shorter club as being shorter on the course.  Perhaps you will find that it gets you more in sync with your swing and refines your tempo a bit.  For me, it is all about being in the fairway, but that requires a swing that is synced up well and in balance.  Perhaps the shorter club does the trick for me.  

Also, the AV 65TX does not feel stout in any way.  It may be the shorter shaft again allowing me to load it properly

It's amazing how far a driver goes when you hit the center of the face isn't it?

• Like 1

Years ago I messed with the Rogue shaft from Cally Alpha fairway in an XR Pro head hot melted to 208g (from a member).  I immediately felt like I was on to something...so added an extender to get to 44 or 43.75....and probably never hit the ball longer.  I always had this sense of swinging freer.  Those were fun times.  Just added an extra weight screw to my SIM to mess around again....

• Like 1

Titleist TSi2 9*

Titleist U505 2i

Titleist U510 4i
PXG 0311P 7-8-9
Vokey SM8 48F-54S-60K

Lab DF 2.1

7 minutes ago, PhlashPhace said:

It's amazing how far a driver goes when you hit the center of the face isn't it?

I think some golfers actually swing faster and more confident with a shorter length. 

I was on the sim with my buddy yesterday and he was swinging his 42.5" 5w at 140mph and his 46.25" driver at 136mph.

You could just see the confidence go way up with the shorter shaft. 

• Confused 1

34 minutes ago, Feelingofgreatness said:

I think some golfers actually swing faster and more confident with a shorter length. 

I was on the sim with my buddy yesterday and he was swinging his 42.5" 5w at 140mph and his 46.25" driver at 136mph.

You could just see the confidence go way up with the shorter shaft. 

When I did a monitor session last year, the fitter noted that my ball speed was 157 with my 4 wood and 162 with my driver.  He said I wasn't getting my arms involved as much; the 4W just looked more fluid. He noted that anyone with a 157 4-wood speed should be able to do more than 162 with a driver, but it wasn't happening at the time.  My carry is up 20 yards since then (technique mostly) but I also find fluidity with my driver on occasion.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, toddba11 said:

Great post and timing, I am 6’6”, cut one of my shafts down to 44.5 from 45” last week, only one round in so far , but really liked it, 915 D2 head….

I’m 6’7 and always wondered about this topic as well. The Driver shafts I’ve been using this year have been mostly 45.75” stock length, which feels long even for me.

No idea how guys under 6’2-6’3 are supposed to use Driver shafts that length…doesn’t make sense.

• Like 3

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Black Smoke 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Rogue St Max OS (21*) / Tensei AV Blue 75 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

4 minutes ago, BallerNate said:

I’m 6’7 and always wondered about this topic as well. The Driver shafts I’ve been using this year have been mostly 45.75” stock length, which feels long even for me.

No idea how guys under 6’2-6’3 are supposed to use Driver shafts that length…doesn’t make sense.

Logic tells me, the longer the shaft, the flatter the plane of the swing and the further the ball is from you... thus making center contact more difficult. The closer the ball is to your body, the easier the ball should be to hit with the center of the club, within reason.  I know with irons there seems to be a sweet spot.

• Like 2

I'm 5'7" and am still using my Sim at stock length.  I feel like I have to stand super far from the ball, swing flatter and struggle to make contact with the center of the face. 

I'm considering taking some length off the butt end but how much weight would I need to add to the head to make up say an inch to keep the swing weight the same?