2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Ping Glide 4.0 wedges - 2022 The American Express

Alright y'all, I got some time to mess around with these today, a 56S and 58W. I am coming from a couple years playing the Glide 2.0 50SS, 56WS, and 60SS. It wasn't really a direct comparison, as obviously the sole and loft combo didn't exactly match any of my wedges, and also I play my 2.0s in DGs (I think the 120s? Either S400 or X100, I can't remember. Irons are X100), 1/2" longer than standard, one degree upright (blue dot), and a midsize golfpride 2G wrap. The 4.0s were black dot (standard lie), standard grip (felt skinny in my hands) and a stock Ping Z-Z115 Wedge, which felt lighter than the shaft in my club, and standard length, which obviously felt short to me. So not a true direct comparison, but I think I learned enough to give a good review:

Looks: 4.0s have a NOTICEABLY smaller profile than the 2.0s. Like kind of shocking how much more compact the profile is in the same lineage of clubs. In comparison, 2.0s feel almost like high-handicap, game improvement clubs, while 4.0s look pure TOUR. I am not surprised Tour guys are playing these. Small, compact profile. Loved that smaller profile and preferred it to 2.0s on the short game shots and 35 yard pitches. By comparison my 4.0s kind of felt clunky and unwieldy. Didn't love the small profile of the 4.0s as much for the more full shot swings. I kind of like the more confidence inspiring larger profile of 2.0s on longer shots, but that's just me. People freaking about the rounded leading edge and round shape need to quit, cause these things are gorgeous.

Feel: It seemed the 4.0s did have a more solid, softer, meaty feel than the 2.0s on both pitches and fuller swings. Felt really good. Not a huge difference, though, and nothing that would make me buy the 4.0s while the 2.0s still have life. But definitely an improvement in feel over 2.0s.

Trajectory: It seemed like on the 35 yard pitches it was maybe easier to flight the 4.0s down, and they wanted to come out lower, but I couldn't really tell, given the lack of direct comparison mentioned above. Really hard to tell on fuller swings, as I think those differences had more to do with shaft length, weight, and flex than the head of the wedge. 

Overall Performance: I'd say I maybe slightly preferred the 4.0s greenside and picthing, but I think that was outweighed by how much I preferred the 2.0s for longer shots. But again, that may not be fair to the 4.0s because the specs were quite different than what I'm used to and the 4.0s just felt too light due to shaft difference. 

Final Takeaway: I MAY order a 56 in my specs to do a fair comparison to the 2.0s. I would say that if I was definitely in the market for new wedges this year, I would be all in on these 1,000%, and just get used to the smaller profile on longer shots. Probably the coolest looking and feeling wedge I've ever tried. Butttt, I think the 2.0s still have life and I think it's more important to be familiar and comfortable with your wedges than any performance benefits, which I think would probably be a wash here. The 35 yard pitches did feel real nice though and had a great penetrating flight. Man, I don't know. I might pick these up in a couple years if the 2.0s really wear out on me. Hard to walk away from these, but I think I will for now. Just getting into that sweet spot of knowing my 2.0s inside and out. 

Hope that helps you all out!

Edited by bobbyclampett!!
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Driver - TM Mini BRNR 11.5, HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5

2i- Ping Blueprint

3i-PW - TM P7MB, KBS Tour X

Wedges - Vokey SM9 (52, 56, 60) all M grinds

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

Maybe not the right forum - but I got fitted in the 3.0’s at ping with the project x lz 6.0’s to exactly match my i210’s. Fitter didn’t put too much effort in to the shafts just said he preferred set match. I didn’t end up getting them as the season was winding down. I see on the 4.0’s it’s a ~$28 up charge for that shaft. Has anyone hit the stock options and/or have a preference?

Edited by bnfrost

6 hours ago, bnfrost said:

Maybe not the right forum - but I got fitted in the 3.0’s at ping with the project x lz 6.0’s to exactly match my i210’s. Fitter didn’t put too much effort in to the shafts just said he preferred set match. I didn’t end up getting them as the season was winding down. I see on the 4.0’s it’s a ~$28 up charge for that shaft. Has anyone hit the stock options and/or have a preference?

Go to a better fitter and try out different options. The shafts in your wedges are too important to just go with what matches your irons. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ping G430 10K w/ Black Tour 2.0 65X, 75X, or GDBB 6X

Ping G425 LST 3W Atmos Black 7X

Ping iCrossover 2 Atmos Black 9X or G425 5W GDBB8X/Atmos Black 8X or G425 2H Atmos Black HB 9X 

Ping iCrossover 3 (20º) AMT White S300 or ZZ65 or Atmos Black 9X

Ping i230 4-6 green dot, Blueprint S 7, Blueprint T 8, 9  AMT White S300

Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 46ºSS, 50º SS, 54º ES, 58º ES TI S400

Putter - depends on the phase of the moon

Caddy - Snacks the Wheaten

1 hour ago, jdubya13 said:

Go to a better fitter and try out different options. The shafts in your wedges are too important to just go with what matches your irons. 

What he said… Don’t understand why some fitters are so nonchalant about wedge fittings. Even worse is that very few companies even offer fitting wedges where you can try different shafts. Honestly these clubs need to be able to hit a huge variety of shots off different lies and different speeds. They aren’t 7 irons! Generally there are two popular schools of thought on wedges:

1 Use a heavier weight shaft in your wedges than in your irons.

2 Use the same shaft as your irons, just go up one flex and have it softstepped once. (This is what works for me)

Try to find a good fitter in your area where you can try different shaft and grind setups.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

2 hours ago, hammergolf said:

What he said… Don’t understand why some fitters are so nonchalant about wedge fittings. Even worse is that very few companies even offer fitting wedges where you can try different shafts. Honestly these clubs need to be able to hit a huge variety of shots off different lies and different speeds. They aren’t 7 irons! Generally there are two popular schools of thought on wedges:

1 Use a heavier weight shaft in your wedges than in your irons.

2 Use the same shaft as your irons, just go up one flex and have it softstepped once. (This is what works for me)

Try to find a good fitter in your area where you can try different shaft and grind setups.

This is so spot on!  OEM’s have gotten really good with the grinds offered but shafts are such an after thought. 

On 4/3/2022 at 6:59 AM, animalgolfs said:

This is the way - grind is much better

Ping-Glide-Forged-Pro-Face.jpeg

I remembered your comment, and our club had a demo available. Happy accident, so I took this out. FAR better.

The old school shape of the ES things on the standard Glides were always weird for me. This GFP59 is 180º different. That's a lovely wedge and the high toe does the right things here. It's better out of the sand, and it's better out of fluffy grass. This will be my next lob wedge. Yes, it's small and compact, but it's definitely a good option. With as little as I use my current 58, I expect that my 54 will continue to be my workhorse with this 59 filling in a lot of quirky situations.

Great point AG.

• Thanks 1

Ping-logo-283444624.jpeg 410LST 9º (TourX) RogueST 3D (ADDI 6X) [OMG what?], 425 3w 14.5º (TourX), 430 3h 19º & 4 iCross (HZRDUS Red 6.0), i230 5-U, G4 54º, GFP 59º (DART105F4). 2021 Fetch (BGT Tour Black).

"Golf is just a dance with a stick, and a ball tells you how good a dancer you are."  LCP150mm in your fairway should be a full-time rule.

Have any left handers received their wedges yet? I ordered the day after release and no sign of them yet...

9.5* Callaway Rogue ST Max / MR Tensei Blue 55

15* TaylorMade SIM Ti / MR Diamana Limited FW 75

17.5* TaylorMade GAPR Hi / KBS Hybrid

21* Callaway Mavrik Max TC / MR Kuro Kage Black TiNi

5-GW Cobra Forged Tec X / KBS Tour Lite

52, 58* Ping Glide 4.0 / ZZ 115

Odyssey White Hot Sabertooth

3 hours ago, Section ThirtyOne said:

Have any left handers received their wedges yet? I ordered the day after release and no sign of them yet...

I received mine on the 7th.  They came in before the 7th too.  I preordered mine in March. 

PING G425 9* Tour 65 X - PING G400 Stretch 13* HZRDUS Yellow - PING G425 17* Hybrid Tour 85 X
PING I210 4-U Project X 6.5 - PING Glide 2.0 Stealth 55 & 60* Project X 6.0
PING VALOR CB 35"

17 minutes ago, jamie said:

I received mine on the 7th.  They came in before the 7th too.  I preordered mine in March. 

Thanks! Good to know there are some out there in the wild. Hopefully they get to mine soon. :classic_blink:

7 minutes ago, Section ThirtyOne said:

Thanks! Good to know there are some out there in the wild. Hopefully they get to mine soon. :classic_blink:

What shafts did you order?  I ordered my wedges with the regular Project X 6.0's.  

PING G425 9* Tour 65 X - PING G400 Stretch 13* HZRDUS Yellow - PING G425 17* Hybrid Tour 85 X
PING I210 4-U Project X 6.5 - PING Glide 2.0 Stealth 55 & 60* Project X 6.0
PING VALOR CB 35"

36 minutes ago, jamie said:

What shafts did you order?  I ordered my wedges with the regular Project X 6.0's.  

Nothing fancy, just AWT 2.0 to match my irons. Stock Tour Velvet grip as well.

The order was for a 54* SS and a 58* ES.

Wedges arrived on Thursday and look great. Taking them out for a round tomorrow.

Playing partners are asking me what wedges I'm using now. Our greens are very hard right now and I am stopping pitch shots like a pro. Of course it was wet yesterday so that may have been why they were so good. They wanted to know if they were illegal. I have a brand new set of SM8s that I grabbed to play this year and decided on these instead. There is no comparison and both sets of wedges are new. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, awtryau89 said:

Playing partners are asking me what wedges I'm using now. Our greens are very hard right now and I am stopping pitch shots like a pro. Of course it was wet yesterday so that may have been why they were so good. They wanted to know if they were illegal. I have a brand new set of SM8s that I grabbed to play this year and decided on these instead. There is no comparison and both sets of wedges are new. 

Very interested in your take

I have been in rtx for awhile .....these really intrigue me 

What is so compelling about them for you?

On 4/17/2022 at 10:34 PM, Byrdman2230 said:

I ordered a 54 SS and 58 E with the AWT wedge shaft. I liked it in the 2.0 and I feel like the zz115 is a little light. I’m waiting for them to arrive. 

I tried 3 times to do this and Golf Galaxy couldn't do it for me. The first order came in with the regular AWT 2.0's, not the wedge version. Went back twice to get the right shaft and because they weren't an option in their online ordering system it was like a deer in the headlights... they couldn't get them ordered for me. I called Ping and they said they could do it. Golf Galaxy.... zzzzz can't figured it out. Returned my 50-54-60 Glide 4.0's and walked out with SM9's. I'm so frustrated and a bit nervous (whether or not I'll like them). 

• Like 1

I hit both the 4.0’s and the SM9 today on a monitor. Stock shafts in both clubs and for my swing I saw an average of 600 rpm more spin with the SM9. Could be the difference in shafts, could be how I deliver the club, I don’t know; but I was surprised with the results after hearing about high spin numbers from the ping wedges. 

37 minutes ago, JamesWA said:

Saw the 4.0s today and the last of the 3.0s (at a 33% discount.)

If, like me, you play the G425s, the Glide 3.0s look far more compatible. 

Can you expand a bit? I play i500's but still keen to know the difference between these wedges as i haven't had a chance to compare.

G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Ping G425 19* hybrid Accra TZ6
Tour Edge XCG 24* hybrid Altus
Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
Ping Stealth 2.0 50*SS, S159 54/58*SS
TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

5 hours ago, JamesWA said:

Saw the 4.0s today and the last of the 3.0s (at a 33% discount.)

If, like me, you play the G425s, the Glide 3.0s look far more compatible. 

I agree that the 3.0 is a great wedge and blends better with the 425s. The 4.0 is a little more compact and blends well with the latest iron releases. 

11 hours ago, Byrdman2230 said:

The 4.0 is made out of 8620 carbon steel so it will feel a little different and it is noticeably more compact than the 3.0. 

Cheers for that. 

G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Ping G425 19* hybrid Accra TZ6
Tour Edge XCG 24* hybrid Altus
Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
Ping Stealth 2.0 50*SS, S159 54/58*SS
TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

On 4/27/2022 at 10:26 PM, High Draw said:

I hit both the 4.0’s and the SM9 today on a monitor. Stock shafts in both clubs and for my swing I saw an average of 600 rpm more spin with the SM9. Could be the difference in shafts, could be how I deliver the club, I don’t know; but I was surprised with the results after hearing about high spin numbers from the ping wedges. 

Were you hitting full shots?  If so, 600 additional rpm's are not always a good thing.  I haven't gone with the last few versions of the Vokey wedges for that very reason, launch and spin were too high for me.  

Titleist TSr4 10.0*  Mitsubishi WB 63 tx  
TaylorMade BRNR Mini 13.5* Kai'li white- tx
Srixon ZX5 (4-6) ZX7 (7-pw) KBS tour 130-x
Mizuno T20 51* TT x-100

Callaway Full Toe 54*, 60* TT x-100
Callaway PM Grind 64*
Toulon First Run Las Vegas DB

Pro V1

14 hours ago, getair23 said:

Were you hitting full shots?  If so, 600 additional rpm's are not always a good thing.  I haven't gone with the last few versions of the Vokey wedges for that very reason, launch and spin were too high for me.  

This was both on half and full shots. Half shots were around 7000 to 7600. Full shots were 8600 to 9200. To me the vokey felt softer also. This very well could have been from the shaft and grip combo as I use DG shafts in my wedges and golf pride grips. I don’t remember the stock shaft in the 4.0’s but I do know it had a lampkin grip.  

Again, I think the glide is a fine wedge. I think it looks nice too, but just didn’t care for the stock feel, and more surprisingly, spin rate difference. 

I went with the vokey based on that I don’t swap out wedges very often. I will have these several years and wanted to start with the most spin for my dollar. As a bonus, they cost less than the glides anyway. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, High Draw said:

This was both on half and full shots. Half shots were around 7000 to 7600. Full shots were 8600 to 9200. To me the vokey felt softer also. This very well could have been from the shaft and grip combo as I use DG shafts in my wedges and golf pride grips. I don’t remember the stock shaft in the 4.0’s but I do know it had a lampkin grip.  

Again, I think the glide is a fine wedge. I think it looks nice too, but just didn’t care for the stock feel, and more surprisingly, spin rate difference. 

I went with the vokey based on that I don’t swap out wedges very often. I will have these several years and wanted to start with the most spin for my dollar. As a bonus, they cost less than the glides anyway. 

Sounds like a great fit. Enjoy your new wedges. 

Titleist TSr4 10.0*  Mitsubishi WB 63 tx  
TaylorMade BRNR Mini 13.5* Kai'li white- tx
Srixon ZX5 (4-6) ZX7 (7-pw) KBS tour 130-x
Mizuno T20 51* TT x-100

Callaway Full Toe 54*, 60* TT x-100
Callaway PM Grind 64*
Toulon First Run Las Vegas DB

Pro V1

I put these against my current wedges found in the signature on Trackman 4 indoors using my gamer ball with a dot.

I found that they performed about the same for me, but  I was so surprised to see my 1,5 season old Glide Forged lob wedge still gives me 10 000 + rpm of backspin, it was actually spinning more then the brand new Glide 4.0, but it could also be due to the ball actually wearing out along the 45 minute session.

image.png.d20bc314ff9f605e70333fdcdbada2ba.png

But anyway I  I found the 4.0:s shape really nice, but was expecting a bit smoother feels..

No need for me to update to these but when I do, I'll keep them in mind. It's a shame these can't be ordered in S400 TI shafts from Ping..

Edited by Hedgehog
added pic

G430 Max 10K Hzrdus RDX Red 60 / Ping G430 Max 5fw KBS TD 70 / Titleist TSi2 4Hy  Tensei CK Pro Orange 80HY 

Ping iBlade 4-PW Modus3 120 / Cleveland RTX2.0 50° DG S200 / Ping Glide3.0 56° DG TI S400 / Ping Glide4.0 60° DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Phantom 7.5 Stability Tour / Titleist ProV1x