P7TW Can a higher handicappers play them?

LowAndLeft32

If you're the 18 cap that's a "good" ball striker but has a crappy short game, then sure why not, lol.  In all seriousness, the P7TW aren't Miura Baby Blade small, but they're not oversized blades like my 623-M.  I found mishits out on the toe and high on the face to be exceptionally punishing.  If you can find the center to heel side, you'll be ok to play these.    

Edited by phizzy30
  • Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

It’s certainly true no club will make you a better ball striker.

Some clubs (those designed to “help” people with slow swing speeds who add loft “launch” the ball) will make it harder for you to learn to be better ball striker.  Most high handicappers are not good enough to play such clubs.

As to golf clubs being “punishing,” I just have to laugh.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LowAndLeft32 said:

Wondering if any higher handicappers have given these irons a go. I would be interested to hear how they performed. Can a higher handicappers play these? Thanks. 

They will perform as long as you can hit it on the sweet spot.

• Like 1

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

I know high handicappers with blades, I know low handicappers with shovels. Play what you want to play, it’s your money and life and only you know how you enjoy your golf.

All I will say from my own experience is whenever I’ve played blades or smaller irons I need to play more often to play well with them. When I was playing four times a week in my late teens and early twenties I dropped from 15-6 using MP32s, but that was a product of lots of practice. The minute I stopped practicing as much the MP32s went as I couldn’t hit them as consistently.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 10 set at 11 Hzrdus Red CB
Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei Blue

Ping G 17.5 set at 18.5 Ping tour shaft.
Titleist TS3 hybrid 21 Tensei Blue
Taylormade 2023 p790 5-PW kbs tour lite
Vokey SM9 50°/12° SM8 56°/14° and SM9 60°/10°
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport two
Taylormade TP5x

[i]Remember there are no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]

You can play whatever you want, but realistically, playing a club that requires more precision may be a frustrating experience for those that struggle with their irons. Knowing that, do what floats your boat.

I also think that the perception of blades being hard to hit is not as bad as it is often portrayed, although there is a difference. In recent years I have been playing a lot of hickory and classic golf (blades) and went back to a MB in my modern clubs for fun. The sky did not fall and my scores have remained in my normal range and most importantly I am having fun. 

My advice is if you struggle in your iron play, stick with irons that give you a little more leeway. Whatever you choose, make sure that you get clubs that have the appropriate flex and are properly fitted. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, aenemated said:

I played the P7TWs for almost two years. I learned as a kid with blades, when my game was at its absolute peak in my late teens/early 20s, I was playing MP14s. After my long layoff, when I felt my game was coming back, I went back to them and have stuck with them - and defended them a lot for several years on this very board. 

I love those irons. They feel tremendous (on a pure strike) and are incredibly workable. And when everything was on - which would happen every so often - I'd put up some solid scores with them.

But over the last several months, I really started to just come around to reality. After a ton of work on my short game; the biggest weak spot in my game became my iron play. I put in as much work as I could but the simple fact is I'm not an 18 y/o with all the time in the world to play golf anymore. So after a couple months of research and checking out all the options to fit what I hoped to find; settled on the Callaway Apex Pros. Considered the TCBs but figured if I was gonna get some help, let's get all we can in an appealing package. That turned out to be the Apex Pros. 

Ordered them last Sunday (1° flat, Steelfiber i95s) and they were crazy fast at my doorstep Wednesday. Took 'em over to the club today finally and after about half an hour on the range; went out for a quick 9. 

Shot 38 in the wind - which as anyone who's played TPC Vegas will tell you; that ain't an easy track when there's no wind. The 3 greens I missed were poor club selection (short once, long twice) because I had no idea how far anything was gonna go with the new lofts and forgiveness, especially in said wind. Had four makeable looks at birdie and made one of them. (Funny thing about my earlier "rarely 3 putt" part ... 3 putted #2 after banging it 10 feet past the cup like an idiot) I realistically should have hit every green as all shots were the right line, just the wrong club. 

One shot stood out though. #5, wound up in the first cut off the tee with one of those funky sidehill/uphill lies so common at that course. Terrible strike from there, another 1/2" and it'd been a shank but ... instead got to the green anyway and I two putted for par. 

That wouldn't have happened with the P7TWs. Same strike, I'd have been down in that awful valley to the left with a crazy tough pitch up to the green. Bogey for sure and double would definitely be in the picture.

In my mind, I wanna think "Oh, I'd have done mostly the same thing with the blades." But I've played there enough in the 3 months we've been over there to also know ... yeah bro, but you haven't.

So why this long post about this?

CAN you play them? Yes. Will your scores suffer? Also yes. 

I've said a lot about how I don't care about my handicap or my score - and I still don't - but I still want to play well if that makes sense. I want to hit greens, I want to make birdies. I like to hit shotmaker shots and I think I can still do that with the Apex and the little bit of help covers my incompetency. Unless you have the time to dedicate to refining your swing to the point of not only being able to hit the dead center of the clubface every time but with all the other stuff of the swing firing perfectly as well; you're gonna have a bad time. I never bought into the whole "Oh it makes you focus more" or whatever is the most often justification ... for me, it was just what I played when I played my best. But those days were 25 years ago. 

But also; it's your life and your game, man. Do what you want. 

Great story. Thanks for sharing. So what made you choose the apex pros? 

Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5*

I've used the Nike version of these irons (the VR Pros) for 4 years now, and as ever with these questions my answer would be....it depends. It depends entirely on where your mishits are with an iron. If you catch them out the middle they are buttery smooth and one of the best feelings in golf, yet if you catch them a bit thin they are remarkably forgiving and still give you the same distance - albeit with less carry - than a well struck shot. If you miss near the hosel they are no different to any other iron. 

However.

If you catch them out of the toe they can be a bit unpredictable - sometimes going full distance but left, sometimes dropping short and right. Even worse is if you catch them high up the face, then they will go absolutely nowhere. 

I very rarely catch it off the toe and don't use a tee on Par 3s so the above issues don't really affect me, however your game may differ. 

For reference I'm a 9 with a shockingly unpredictable long game. 

• Like 1

The Dee Three - Titleist TS4 9.5 deg, EvenFlow White 6.5 65g, A1 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85x, B2 Setting

The Interloper - TaylorMade P770 3 iron, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5inch +1 deg loft

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - AW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Sand Iron - TaylorMade MG2 TW-12 Grind, 56 degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Flopper - TaylorMade MG2 TW-11 Grind, 60 Degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Putter - Nike Method 003 from The Oven

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

I agree with most in the thread that you technically can use them, but it's probably not a good idea or will be very fun for you.

With that being said, if you're that curious about them, I'd consider buying a 7 iron demo club to use as almost a training aid at the range. That can give you plenty of reps with it, build up the skill of hitting blades, and not deal with the on-course struggles from their learning curve.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, LowAndLeft32 said:

Great story. Thanks for sharing. So what made you choose the apex pros? 

They were able to pack a lot of tech into a tiny head that looks great at address and they have the feel that works for me. Really all it came down to. The last part being where the T100s lost me - which, believe me, I WANTED to love because I don't think there's a better looking iron in that category. I just can't jive with the feel of Titleist irons and I've never been able to; going back to the OG DCI days.

Which is weird because I love everything else they make. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody can play anything. Whether you should play something that demands a skill level that you don't possess is a different story. 

• Like 1

Cleveland Launcher HB Driver 10.5 degree

Cleveland Launcher Halo Hybrids 16, 19, 22 degree

Cleveland Launcher HB Irons 5-SW

Cleveland CBX 2 Wedge 60 degree

All with graphite shafts, JumboMax Ultra Lite size S

Taylor Made Daddy Long Legs putter, Winn Dri-Tac Jumbo Lite Pistol Putter Grip

Callaway Supersoft

I’m a low single digit handicap and my iron play is the strength of my game; I play Apex pro 19s. Yesterday I had 193 into a par 5 with the ball sitting up in the rough; I took 6 iron. I didn’t control my arc depth well enough and caught the ball a bit high on the face, and the ball goes very high and lands 10 yards shorter than anticipated on the front edge of the green. With a blade, that strike probably loses another 10 yards and curves more, leaving me in the front left bunker. The up & down probability just halved.

the question is what makes you happier, getting better results from misses and shooting lower scores or looking at (real) blades? valid either way, but you don’t get them both.

• Like 3