2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Hogan Closed Again

Bad9

Just now, JungleJimbo said:

@BIG STU If this is the Article you were referring to ... then JB = founder of that website?

i.e. not a 'regular member'.

https://www.thehackersparadise.com/news-ben-hogan-golf-closing-doors/ 

image.png

No he is not a founder of that site that I know of and I was there darn near at the start

• Like 1

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

1 minute ago, BIG STU said:

No he is not a founder of that site that I know of and I was there darn near at the start

@BIG STU Noted ... i will defer to you on this, i.e. probably i'm mistaken!

But JB = is now listed as co-owner.

https://www.thehackersparadise.com/the-thp-team-new/ 

Edited by JungleJimbo

1 minute ago, JungleJimbo said:

@BIG STU Noted ... i will defer to you on this, i.e. probably i'm mistaken!

But JB = is now listed as co-owner.

https://www.thehackersparadise.com/the-thp-team-new/ 

Oh we are on 2 different wavelengths here---- I was not talking about hackers paradise I was talking about the other one that is not supposed to be mentioned here---- I have never been a member of Hackers

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rgk5 said:

Your Hogan Special PW is very rare and a fabulous PW. Trevino won many of his events with a Hogan Special SW. I had one back in the late '70s and loved it

That is a good wedge indeed. Even though I am a dyed in the wool Mac guy I have always liked Hogan wedges and have quite a few. I am speaking of Hogan wedges back when Hogan was really Hogan. Now I do have a Ft Worth 15 50* that I ended up with. It hits and feels good but I have distance control issues with it. That Special PW I carried in the late 70s through most of the 80s and it is darn near worn out-- I was also a big fan of the real Apex shafts-- I have one set of Mac VIPs set up with Apex shafts and one set of Muirfields set up the same way. In classic circles they are known as Mac Hogans and no I did not invent that it was a popular conversion in the 70s. IMHO at that time Mr Hogan and his people knew a little something about shafts no one else knew. I was always under the impression it was a Carolinas thing but have since found out on here it was done all over

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ShakeyT said:

Not sure what other forum you got this from, but they need to fire whoever is in charge of proof reading for grammar.

Shockingly it’s the owner of the site.  Not the brightest bulb in the light. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

4 hours ago, grm24 said:

Have you reviewed the entire thread? The website "issue" was addressed early. Appears they are truly DOA.

too bad, I’ve been seeking some graphite shafted irons and was thinking I’d buy theirs a week or so ago. I knew something was up when I’d check daily and there was no “website engineering” fix.

Mizuno ST-Z 220 10.5* - Tensei Blue Raw AV 65S

Ping G425 5w 16.5* - Alta CB 65S, Ping G425 7w 19.5* - Tensei Orange AV Raw 75S

Mizuno CLK 22* & 25* - Tensei CK Blue 70S

Mizuno 919 HMP 5i-PW - Recoil 95 F4, Mizuno T22 54 & 58 - Recoil 95 F4

Odyssey 2 Ball Ten White Hot Tour Insert

I won one of their wedges in a giveaway on here a little over 4 1/2 years ago.  It was a nice, soft feeling wedge.  So much so, I wanted to get a couple more from them.  Even back then they were having apparent supply chain issues.  It took quite awhile for it to get to me, but it was winter and I was in no hurry.  But when I wanted to order more it was such and such loft wasn't available, such and such shaft wasn't available, check in a couple of months, etc. and I lost interest.  It didn't seem like that was unusual based on things you could gather looking at their site or checking on here from time to time.  If they are out of business, I'm sorry to see them go - many liked their irons and if they were as well made as the wedge I can understand why.  It's a tough business for "niche" makers, I'm sure tougher now.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, gator022 said:

too bad, I’ve been seeking some graphite shafted irons and was thinking I’d buy theirs a week or so ago. I knew something was up when I’d check daily and there was no “website engineering” fix.

Probably a good thing you didn't buy some a few months back. I'm sure the bottom will fall out of the value of their clubs now that they're not a going concern. 

Shame to see them go, but I agree with some other posters, it is not really a surprise.  Callaway couldn't keep them afloat, and at the time was one of the most popular names going as they were hot off their X-14/X-16 product, the first multimaterial titanium driver releases, the launch of Odyssey putters and the 2-ball, etc.  They were on top of their game and even that couldn't keep the Apex name going.  I know Callaway mainly bought them for the TopFlite ball patents but they did release an Apex/Icon blade and forged CB around that time that were absolutely stunning --- and it languished on the shelf.  Unfortunately, Ben Hogan golf died when Mr. Hogan died, really.  I suspect we can expect a similar fate when Nicklaus passes on as well (although you could argue the Nicklaus brand is too niche to really even have any market share to begin with).

• Like 2

Callaway Paradym 9 -- Accra TZFive 60

Callaway Paradym 15 & Paradym TD 18  -- Accra TZFive 70

Cobra King Tec 22 & 25 -- MMT 80

Ping i525 6-PW, UW -- Modus 120

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore 54 & 58 -- DG Spinner 

Bettinardi Hive Custom -- Stability Black

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track Yellow; Lamkin Sonar Midsize + grips

Interesting that it coincides with the 25th anniversary of the death of the man himself.

• Like 1
PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60, KBS CT Tour, 35"
Maxfli Tour Yellow

Sad to see if this is true.  I've been playing Icons since last fall and like them better than anything since my 712 MBs.  

The golf club market itself is inherently risky from a financial standpoint.  Even the big boys struggle with margin levels despite large marketing budgets.

Hopefully it's just a pause while the supply chain catches up.

I feel like the DTC market in general (less so in this community)  is targeted toward the younger consumer. The other DTC brands seemed to develop more buzz, probably just smarter marketing through unique channels (like GolfWRX, instagram, etc). Ben Hogan has clout but to maybe the prior generations, the ones that are more likely to shop in a big box store and less from DTC companies, in my opinion. 

Sad to see them go, always heard great things about the recent products

• Like 1

Taylormade SIM2 - Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 70 6.5

Cobra LTD 3w - Project X Evenflow Black 85 6.0

Cobra LTD 5w - Project X Evenflow Black 85 6.0

PXG 0311x 4 DI - Mitsubishi MMT 90s

New Level 902 OS 5-PW - Mitsubishi MMT 105s
New Level 902 OS 50 - Mitsubishi MMT 105x

Fourteen DJ-5 54 - Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Scratch Forged SS 60 - Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Custom MackMade Putter

Vice Pro

1 hour ago, forrester_fire said:

I can't say that I'm shocked.  I've never seen a Hogan iron out in the wild.  Heck, I've never seen a modern Hogan club in person.

I have had my PTxPros and Equalizer II wedges (50* and 54*) for about 14 months now and have played close to 50 rounds in that time and I have never encountered another person with Hogan clubs from the last 2-3 years' product cycles. And I always look at other people's bags (hence why I spend so much time on this site). That said, the build quality is excellent, the clubs are beautiful and for me they flat out perform. I kept them as a demo for 3 weeks and hit them against (off real grass turf on a range with trackman over 4-5 sessions) Mizuno MP-20 MMCs, Cobra MIMs, Sub 70 639 CBs, New Level 902 Forged, Titleist T100, Apex Pros, TM P-770, Srixon ZX-7 and, for me, they were the best fit. Even still, I didn't "trust" their woods so I never even considered Demo'ing them. Not sure why they felt the need to try to get into the Driver space. 

4 hours ago, me05501 said:

I'm sure the bottom will fall out of the value of their clubs now that they're not a going concern. 

So this is the topic I am very interested in, can I get a deal on any of their remaining inventory? Would love to get a UiHi 4 iron or even a set of the Icons in Black (by the way, their black finish holds up VERY well as I have the equalizer II wedges in black and they barely have any wear on them after 20 rounds). Sounds like it came down to the fact that they were equity firm backed and just couldn't produce returns fast enough. Would have loved to see what additional iron designs they would have come out with but as for the woods...nah. Maybe I have been tricked by the marketing hype of the big OEMs but that is the one place I am not sure DTCs can quite keep up. Would love to be wrong (and I might very well be!). As for irons, I think DTCs can more than compete. In fact in my testing, the Sub 70 639 CBs felt the best on a pure center strike and that was against some absolute HITTERS in Mizuno and Srixon. 

• Like 3

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red (S)

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue (S)
Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi 21.5* - Project X U-Steel 6.0

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW 1*flat  - Axiom 125X

Ben Hogan Equalizer II 54* 1*flat - KBS Tour 120S

Ben Hogan Carnoustie 60* 1*flat  - KBS Tour 120S

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

1 hour ago, forrester_fire said:

I can't say that I'm shocked.  I've never seen a Hogan iron out in the wild.  Heck, I've never seen a modern Hogan club in person.

Their product lines were geared toward the player's market.  The Icon is a true MB and the PtX Pro weren't exactly game improvement.  Most of the Icons (which are a great iron by the way) I've seen in the wild were old guys like me that drift toward the clubs similar to what we've played for decades.  Too much tech available nowadays for younger golfers to utilize. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, vandyfan said:

Maybe I have been tricked by the marketing hype of the big OEMs but that is the one place I am not sure DTCs can quite keep up. Would love to be wrong (and I might very well be!). As for irons, I think DTCs can more than compete. In fact in my testing, the Sub 70 639 CBs felt the best on a pure center strike and that was against some absolute HITTERS in Mizuno and Srixon. 

I think the quality of forged heads varies some but likely not as much as the marketing dept's would have players believe. The designs are similar enough. If the raw materials are the same then the differences can't be all that great. 

Edited by me05501
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, vandyfan said:

I have had my PTxPros and Equalizer II wedges (50* and 54*) for about 14 months now and have played close to 50 rounds in that time and I have never encountered another person with Hogan clubs from the last 2-3 years' product cycles. And I always look at other people's bags (hence why I spend so much time on this site). That said, the build quality is excellent, the clubs are beautiful and for me they flat out perform. I kept them as a demo for 3 weeks and hit them against (off real grass turf on a range with trackman over 4-5 sessions) Mizuno MP-20 MMCs, Cobra MIMs, Sub 70 639 CBs, New Level 902 Forged, Titleist T100, Apex Pros, TM P-770, Srixon ZX-7 and, for me, they were the best fit. Even still, I didn't "trust" their woods so I never even considered Demo'ing them. Not sure why they felt the need to try to get into the Driver space. 

So this is the topic I am very interested in, can I get a deal on any of their remaining inventory? Would love to get a UiHi 4 iron or even a set of the Icons in Black (by the way, their black finish holds up VERY well as I have the equalizer II wedges in black and they barely have any wear on them after 20 rounds). Sounds like it came down to the fact that they were equity firm backed and just couldn't produce returns fast enough. Would have loved to see what additional iron designs they would have come out with but as for the woods...nah. Maybe I have been tricked by the marketing hype of the big OEMs but that is the one place I am not sure DTCs can quite keep up. Would love to be wrong (and I might very well be!). As for irons, I think DTCs can more than compete. In fact in my testing, the Sub 70 639 CBs felt the best on a pure center strike and that was against some absolute HITTERS in Mizuno and Srixon. 

Not long ago, I sold a fairly new set of the ICON blacks as well as a UiHi 3 iron on ebay. I had mentioned here at the time, but no interest shown.  The irons were excellent but I opted for an older set of Titleist MB's for eccentric reasons that probably would not make sense to anyone else. 

• Like 1

"Non rinunciare mai quello
che desideri...."
Go with what you know!

Driver: Titleist 913D

Fairway: Tour Edge XCG 7

Hybrids: Bobby Jones(Jesse Ortiz) Blackbird 3,4,5,6

Irons: 3-PW Titleist 710 MB (Rifle Project X 6.0 Flighted)

Wedges: Tour Edge 52, 56 deg, Cleveland RTX 50 deg 

Putter: Odyssey Custom Metal X 7

The Hogan brand is a revolving door for a reason and it has nothing to do with Koehler.  Perry Ellis owns the Hogan brand and licenses it out to Walmart and a host of other people that try to revive the brand name in golf clubs.  Perry Ellis will recoup every last nickel through licensing deals which is not a great model for golf clubs that have smaller margins than soft goods and other products like cologne ect..   

• Like 1

Callaway Ai Smoke Triple  8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

TM Qi10 15* / Project X HZRDUS Black 8X        

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel ARRAY F3 w/ 3 line alignment

2 hours ago, boggyman said:

Thought Alker  played New Level? 

He does, the post you quoted was quoting another post that metnioned New Level and other DTC clubs.   

Vokey

8 minutes ago, boggyman said:

Gotcha fine. I went back to beginning of thread and see that now. My bad! 

It was easy to do, the conversation took a couple turns in different directions 🙂

• Haha 1

Vokey

1 hour ago, vandyfan said:

Never tried the driver or fairways but the hybrid was REALLY good. Very Adams like in appearance and performance but with a better feel off the face IMO. Every club I demoed was high quality and outperformed many OEMs I've tried. Seems like they really were trying to stay true to Mr. Hogan's vision and offer a great product that appealed to the better player. I would have considered the woods based off of my experience. 

• Like 2

Sad to see the Hogan brand go belly up again. My kid is getting ready to transition to adult OEM clubs soon and I was looking forward to having him try out the PTx Pros.  Their wedges looked really great as well.  Had no plans to give their driver or fairways a look. Also, no plan to look at their putters as I have three (3) Hoganardi BHB5-SS's in my possession that I planned to let him try (2 playable, 1 a collector that was never used).

Icons are a beauty:

Ben Hogan Icon Irons | MyGolfSpy

PTx Pros great looking:

FIRST LOOK: Ben Hogan PTx PRO Irons | MyGolfSpy

Ahhhh those wedges....

Hogan Equalizer II Wedges: A Hogan Throwback | MyGolfSpy

• Like 4

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.