2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Scotty Cameron Custom Shop being a pain

lawst4days

I sent in a Futura 5 Dual Balance that I had cut down to 33 inches and had the grip changed out. 

The work I was asking to do was to simply put a new matador grip on it, new shaft band and add a new headcover.  It already had a matador grip on it. 

I was also getting paint fill done and replacing the weights and a new alignment line added to the top line. 

The custom shop called me and said they wouldn't work on it because the shaft had been cut down. I told them that was BS as I wasn't asking them to do anything to the shaft. Keep in mind I ordered paint fill, screw in weights, a headcover, shaft band and a grip.  None of this has anything to do with changing the lie, the length, loft.  They just simply wouldn't do cosmetic changes because the shaft length. 

It cost me 50 dollars to ship it across the US and probably another 50 for them to ship it back. I am now out probably 100 dollars because the "custom shop" didn't like that I like my putters cut to 33 inches and the head to be a little heavier than the stock Futura. 

Am I the only one who finds this to be completely ridiculous? 

I have owned four Cameron putters in the last 10 years.  Along with many other custom putters.   I will 100% not be purchasing another one ever again.  I wanted to write this as a warning to anyone sending their putter to the "custom shop".  Everyone knew it was a money grab before, but I also think the custom shop aspect is also a major scam.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 3

Wow that's pathetic

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Srixon ZX5 10.5° - Diamana TB 6TX

Ping G410 17.5° - Atmos TS Red 7S

Ping G430 21° - Atmos TS Red 8S

Ping Blueprint S 4-PW - PX LZ 6.0

Mizuno T22 50S, 54D - S400 TI

Vokey SM9 60T - S300

Gamer Putters Son of a GOAT - 326g, 34"

Bridgestone Tour B X

I talked to a guy who brought his putter into the custom shop for a simple re-grip. They took off his old grip and told him that they couldn't put on a new one because, unbeknownst to him, the putter had been extended a quarter inch. They also won't just sell you a loose grip.

I get that they want to have control over their product, but my god how ridiculous.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5 deg.

Cobra LTDx LS 5 wood

Srixon ZX 3 hybrid

Ping S55 4-PW

Ping Glide 3.0 wedges

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

20 minutes ago, MaineMariner said:

I talked to a guy who brought his putter into the custom shop for a simple re-grip. They took off his old grip and told him that they couldn't put on a new one because, unbeknownst to him, the putter had been extended a quarter inch. They also won't just sell you a loose grip.

I get that they want to have control over their product, but my god how ridiculous.

They sound as bad as Ferrari not that I have one it's just more of a headache to deal with them than not to. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

This is interesting, if you get a restoration they dont even require you to send it in with a shaft (they encourage you to remove the shaft and send in the head only as it reduces shipping cost). They say every restoration includes a new shaft/grip

From the website
"Another putter packing tip that can save shipping costs is to simply send us the putter head in a small box. If you're getting a full restoration or reshaft, we use a brand new shaft anyway.  Please note that all putters must leave the Custom Shop fully assembled with shafts and grips installed. If sending in an unshafted putter head, be advised that a shaft and grip must be assembled and installed when a putter leaves the Custom Shop."

I wonder if they would work on it if you told them to just do a restoration/reshaft it. You can get a 33" shaft from the shop. Still going to cost you more than you expected to do that though.

Edited by NDefer

On 8/24/2022 at 7:13 AM, bladehunter said:

Yep. Send in just the head and they do whatever you want.  It’s insane. But that’s the workaround.  

Not only a workaround but if you send in just the head then you pay for the new shaft and the custom shop will not charge you for whatever grip you want, it is included in the new shaft price.  

Custom shop has turned into a complete clown show.  Nothing custom about it, just another money grab for the “prestige”

Edited by Phabs
  • Like 2

Cobra Aerojet 9* - LAGP A Series X Mid 

Cobra LTDX 3W - Tensei 1K 75 TX 

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 105X / Cobra LTDX 5w - Tensei Black 85 TX

Artisan HM's / Custom Nike VR Pro Blades - 6.5 Project X Blackouts

Mizuno T22 Copper 50/54 - Project X Blackout 7.0 Spinners

Vokey 58 T Grind - Project X 6.5 Blackout

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

After all the stories I've heard I would never use the custom shop. NorCal or Embrace, plus many more are much more reasonable to work with, and on price.

I ordered an Embrace copper insert for my Detour Newport 2 and he was super helpful with all my questions before and after ordering.

On 8/23/2022 at 8:53 AM, MaineMariner said:

That happened to my son, took his Scotty in to get a new grip put on and because he had an aftermarket grip on it they wouldn't touch it or sell him a loose grip. Pretty stupid policy IMO

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond S  8.5* (Tensei 1k Pro Blue)

Fairway: Titleist TSR 3W (Tensei 1k Black)

Fairway: Titleist TSR 5W (Tensei 1K Pro Black)

Fairway: Titleist TSR 7W (Tensei 1K Pro Black)

Irons: PXG 0317T Xtreme Dark 5-PW (Dynamic Gold120 X100)

Wedge: Titleist SM9 48*

Wedge: Titleist SM9 54*

Wedge: Titleist SM9 58*

Putter: Scotty Cameron Champions Choice

3 hours ago, peter15walsh said:

After all the stories I've heard I would never use the custom shop. NorCal or Embrace, plus many more are much more reasonable to work with, and on price.

I ordered an Embrace copper insert for my Detour Newport 2 and he was super helpful with all my questions before and after ordering.

I just got my Scotty back today from the Custom Shop. Only took 4 weeks, I sent two putters to NorCal and one took 5 months and the other 8.5 months. He does great work but his customer service skills suck. He refinished one putter wrong and the other forgot to do the smooth face milling because he didn't pay attention to my order form's. You'd think my putters would go to the front of the line bc he F'd up. Nope not all, went to the back of the line and took another 3 months. I'll never send him another putter even though the work is beautiful, just not 8.5 months beautiful. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond S  8.5* (Tensei 1k Pro Blue)

Fairway: Titleist TSR 3W (Tensei 1k Black)

Fairway: Titleist TSR 5W (Tensei 1K Pro Black)

Fairway: Titleist TSR 7W (Tensei 1K Pro Black)

Irons: PXG 0317T Xtreme Dark 5-PW (Dynamic Gold120 X100)

Wedge: Titleist SM9 48*

Wedge: Titleist SM9 54*

Wedge: Titleist SM9 58*

Putter: Scotty Cameron Champions Choice

On 8/22/2022 at 2:19 PM, lawst4days said:

I sent in a Futura 5 Dual Balance that I had cut down to 33 inches and had the grip changed out. 

The work I was asking to do was to simply put a new matador grip on it, new shaft band and add a new headcover.  It already had a matador grip on it. 

I was also getting paint fill done and replacing the weights and a new alignment line added to the top line. 

The custom shop called me and said they wouldn't work on it because the shaft had been cut down. I told them that was BS as I wasn't asking them to do anything to the shaft. Keep in mind I ordered paint fill, screw in weights, a headcover, shaft band and a grip.  None of this has anything to do with changing the lie, the length, loft.  They just simply wouldn't do cosmetic changes because the shaft length. 

It cost me 50 dollars to ship it across the US and probably another 50 for them to ship it back. I am now out probably 100 dollars because the "custom shop" didn't like that I like my putters cut to 33 inches and the head to be a little heavier than the stock Futura. 

Am I the only one who finds this to be completely ridiculous? 

I have owned four Cameron putters in the last 10 years.  Along with many other custom putters.   I will 100% not be purchasing another one ever again.  I wanted to write this as a warning to anyone sending their putter to the "custom shop".  Everyone knew it was a money grab before, but I also think the custom shop aspect is also a major scam.  

Nope.  I posted in another forum that SC has the worst Customer Service I ever dealt with, especially for a company selling a product they view as "premium" .  They even consider paintfill  as "modifying the putter".  It is literally paint.  I was told if I do my own paintfill and later send the putter in to the Custom Shop that they will charge me for paint even if they do nothing regarding the paint itself  (for example, if I sent it in to have lie adjusted, they would charge me for paint). That along with an issue when I asked about getting a grip built up completely turned me off on them. 

To make matters worse, some of the folks who work in their "wrongly named) "customer service" department act like they are doing you a favor by even giving you the privilege to buy  a Scotty Cameron.  Yes, I am dripping with sarcasm.

Edited by Anser3
  • Like 1

Custom shop ain't special like they think they are.  Prices are way way.... to high with very few options.  I wouldn't even consider them.

Titleist TSR2 GD UB 6S
TEE CB5 4 wood Fubuki Tour
Srixon ZX7 5-pw Nippon Modus 120
Miura custom raw 50 54, 56 Nippon WV 125

David Mills SG Dale Pencil flowneck
David Mills Custom torched Heritage SS flow neck
David Mills Custom Carbon flow neck Hertitage V2 with Nitride finish
David Mills Carbon Ming V3 pencil flow neck
Byron Rincon DH89

What is worse, if your putter has TOUR engraved, like say studio select, exact putter you would but off the rack but it says TOUR, it will now cost you $750 for the refinish. It is bad enough that their service and quality is down the drain, now they raise prices too. They are not keeping up with the boutique makes and can't keep up with the instagram refinishers.

Why would they encourage you to remove the shaft yourself but not allow you to cut a shaft down? Seems like you would be much more likely to damage the putter or bend it out of spec trying to remove a shaft vs cutting it down. 

I could maybe understand if they made you replace the cut down shaft with their own 33" shaft if they said it was a better weight balance or a performance difference.... but they already have the damn thing i would be very upset if they sent my putter back without a grip on it and refused the work. 

• 2 months later...
On 8/29/2022 at 8:48 PM, EVandy said:

Am I the only one that thinks the custom shop is a good option because you can get a baby t or full cord grip and not pay $150 for it on ebay?

Bingo. Buy a grip, pull it and sell it. Buy a head cover and sell it and your restoration is basically covered. 

TSR3 TSi3 3 Wood | G430 3 Hybrid |  ZX7 MKII 4-PW Vokey SM9  50, 54, 58 |  Ping PLD Anser 2D

• 2 months later...

Sent my 08 Newport 2 in for a reshaft, new grip, headcover, paint fill, and stamping. Received by the shop on Dec 2nd. and Returned to me the 18th of January. This is right on schedule of what I expected with the holiday timing. First and only Scotty Ive ever owned. Didnt know what to expect exactly but I am hyped with the results. 

PS - Not a Vikings fan I just love purple and yellow

69577608668__68ECE592-07A4-473B-B974-FBE255B0B1B5.jpg

69577610689__0E84770F-8E4B-40A2-8F3F-2F451986EF20.jpg

69577617969__017DA280-269F-4F33-BE5B-D6C75C9E8910.jpg

• Like 3