The things I see at the driving range

Kent01putt

I work at a driving range in my retirement for fun. My Dad taught me how to manage my game and have good golf course management. This is a conversation I had with a women who came in the door last week.                                 

Me - Is that the only club you are practicing with?(with a smile)   She has a driver only                       Her - Yeah it is the only one I have trouble with

Me -  Have you ever taken a lesson before?

Her - Yes I have

Me - what club did he/she start you working with

Her - a 7 iron

Me - The reason he used a 7 iron is because, whatever you are doing with the 7 iron you are magnifying the same issue with the driver because it goes further.

Her - no way I just need to work with the driver

She took a large bucket, hit 90 balls and left with the same problem she came with.    

I see many people that just have no idea how to practice. We will get into course management later. That is even worst.

My Dad told me for every hour I hit balls, spend 2 hours chipping and putting.  

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

It’s certainly true but I also feel like us wrxers are not the typical person. If she wants to let the big dog eat for an hour on the range and break 100 next round she might be happier than any of us lol.

I had a similar thought on the range though. Was next to a guy that got 25% of his balls airborne and was a regular there. Just makes you wonder how he can justify coming to bang balls all the time with no improvement when a couple lessons would undoubtedly have him playing better golf. 

• Like 1

I think the thing I see most of is people who are clearly rehearsing some kind of position or move before they hit a ball - one that is grooving something guaranteed to hit a bad shot.  

• One guy who who rehearsed something (not really sure what he was trying to achieve) and every other shot (literally) was a shank.  So I just thought to myself, "you're halfway there!"
  • Another guy who was rehearsing that exagerated move that Justin Rose used to do (not sure if he still does it) in his pre-shot.  I think he was trying to make sure he was slotting the club but in all the time I've watched him I've never seen him hit one solid shot.  And after each shot he reviews phone video of himself for like 5 minutes.

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

Everyone hits the range for different reasons. I generally am there to try to improve some aspect of my game, but there are also days when I go to the range at lunch just to blow off some office stress or simply zone out. I may do nothing but rake and swing with a 4 iron for an hour or alternate shots between driver and sand wedge for an entire bucket, but it doesn't mean I'm not following some sort of macro plan overall. It's fun to just swing away.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, southpaw72 said:

It’s certainly true but I also feel like us wrxers are not the typical person. If she wants to let the big dog eat for an hour on the range and break 100 next round she might be happier than any of us lol.

I had a similar thought on the range though. Was next to a guy that got 25% of his balls airborne and was a regular there. Just makes you wonder how he can justify coming to bang balls all the time with no improvement when a couple lessons would undoubtedly have him playing better golf. 

I've had similar thoughts, but overheard a person much like who you describe say that this was their exercise for the day.  He was retired and wanted to do this as some activity instead of watching people move around.  From that day on, as long as they aren't hitting at me - I hope they are having fun.

• Like 3

ya thats great, but most people just want to have fun and not grind to get better, let them do it. If anybody asks for the advise feel free to give it to them, if they don't let them have fun.

I played for years with a guy who broke 100 once in a while, when I tried to step in and help he got mad, he didn't want to get better, his game was fine for him, just liked the act of playing didnt want to work or change to get better, that is his decision and nothing I should judge him for 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Kent01putt said:

I work at a driving range in my retirement for fun. My Dad taught me how to manage my game and have good golf course management. This is a conversation I had with a women who came in the door last week.                                 

Me - Is that the only club you are practicing with?(with a smile)   She has a driver only                       Her - Yeah it is the only one I have trouble with

Me -  Have you ever taken a lesson before?

Her - Yes I have

Me - what club did he/she start you working with

Her - a 7 iron

Me - The reason he used a 7 iron is because, whatever you are doing with the 7 iron you are magnifying the same issue with the driver because it goes further.

Her - no way I just need to work with the driver

She took a large bucket, hit 90 balls and left with the same problem she came with.    

I see many people that just have no idea how to practice. We will get into course management later. That is even worst.

My Dad told me for every hour I hit balls, spend 2 hours chipping and putting.  

I think it was nice of you to offer help. I know I have been on range and struggling only to watch someone else stripe the ball. The whole time wondering what I am doing wrong. With that being said, some people will take help wherever it comes from and some people want no help as they think they already know it all. 

-Erik

• Like 2

Taylormade Stealth 2 Driver
Taylormade SIM2 3HL
Taylormade Dual Rescue TP 4H
Mizuno JPX923 HMP 5i - GW
Mizuno T24 52* & 56*
Cleveland H.B. Soft Premier 11S 

2 hours ago, Greenie said:

I'll add to this^^. I go to a range that has a section of mats then a nice big section of grass. I'll go all the way to the end of the grass range that is a fair walk to get to. The whole grass range is empty. This guy feels the need to come all the way over to where I am, set up, and starts talking to me. I say hi and move my stuff all the way to the beginning on the grass range. A few minutes later he comes over to where I am and sets up again. I say I gave you that area over there why are you beside me again. The guys says oh I thought you wanted someone to talk to. WTF

Many can’t imagine that there are people who like solitude 

• Like 2

It is really tough to cure stupid. 

It's not a struggle in vain - but you gotta pick your battles and approach every point of contact with a ton of logistical work. Come prepared. 

Simple truth. 

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

I'm new to the game and hitting about 1,500 balls a week at the range. I have had a handful of lessons now and a good sense of what I want to work on. I am making very radical changes to my swing sometimes and am okay with hitting a number of shanks trying to understand certain actions or otherwise. I've had a couple of people try to give me advice, one a random and one an employee - at first I was polite, but now I just tell them I'm not looking for advice but appreciate them offering it. Easy!

Edited by iodje123
  • Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5° w/ Ventus Red 6S
  • Ping G425 3H w/ Ventus HB Blue 7S
  • Srizon ZX MKII 3i w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Tour 115 S
  • Mizuno Pro 223 4i-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Tour 115 S
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 - 50°12F 54°12D 58°12D w/ DG S200
  • Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5 2022

Her rationale for working specifically on driver is actually a sound one because driver is struck at a completely different location along the swing arc when in comparison to a ball being hit off the ground.  The more balls she hits in a row with that given club will hopefully teach her that distinction. The swing motion is the same for all clubs, but the orientation in relation to low point of the swing arc for all clubs being hit off a tee, with a positive angle of attack, is different depending on tee height, while all clubs being hit off the ground have the exact same low point orientation. 

Note: Low point of the swing arc is denoted by the pencil mark on the trash can lid. 

Ball Struck prior to low point of the swing arc, negative angle of attack. Same low point orientation for all clubs. 

image.png.969565d5a61d5b87357eea95656dd68c.png

Ball struck after low point of the swing arc, positive angle of attack. Low point orientation varies depending on tee height. 

image.png.5c8438027be7abdb9f49f4678f7f3cb3.png

This is the lesson that she must either be told, or learn on her own by hitting a ton of balls and that is a better message to convey to a new golfer in my opinion as it literally gets to the root of her issue and helps her to begin to learn impact.    

• Like 1

@Kent01putt

You gave the confused emoji to me saying let someone at the driving range practice without feeding them advice?

Im sure most people would prefer to be left alone to practice, for a number of reasons?

Driver: Taylormade M2 (set at 8.5); Graphite Design AD DI5-X

3 Wood: PXG GEN 3 0341X 15.5; HZRDUS Yellow 70 6.5

Hybrid: PXG GEN 5 0311XF 19; HZRDUS Black 6.5

Irons: Titleist T100s 4-PW; Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: PXG 0311 Forged 50, 54, 58; Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Putter: Odyssey Pro 9 White Hot

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x 

Much respect to anyone who can hit 90 drivers in one practice session. 

Edited by Bye
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Taylormade Sim 2 Max - 10.5 Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TSR3 - @15.75 Tensei 1K Black 75X
Titleist TSR3 Hybrid - @20 Tensei 1K Black 85X

Titleist 620 CB  - 4 iron - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist 620 MB - 5-pw - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 - 52.08, 56S  & 60M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Taylormade Spider Tour X - X3
Titleist - Pro V1

20 hours ago, kekoa said:

I go to the range not only to practice, but to decompress.  The absolute worst thing that happens is the guy who starts talking to you for no apparent reason.  This quickly turns into an unsolicited lesson or him bragging about knowing Joe Blow on the PGA tour and used to be a +7 back in the day.  

OT, but I knew very slightly a guy who caddied for Tom Lehman way, way early in TL's career.  That was a topic he enthusiastically beat to death at every opportunity.

19 hours ago, edwelly said:

I think it was nice of you to offer help. I know I have been on range and struggling only to watch someone else stripe the ball. The whole time wondering what I am doing wrong. With that being said, some people will take help wherever it comes from and some people want no help as they think they already know it all. 

-Erik

So much just comes down to observation. Does the person LOOK like they are frustrated? I'm always friendly to people around me, and I can definitely be a bit of a chatter (not obnoxiously so, but I'm an extrovert), but friendliness and presumption are two entirely different things. If anything, I would simply ask an unassuming question that might reveal if they are there to just unwind or if they are actually working on their game. "Looks like you enjoy being out here. Do you spend much time on the range?" If they say 'no' then I'm out of there as it likely means they are just out for fun/activity. If they indicate 'yes,' then I might pursue the conversation to see if they are up to some thoughts. 90% of the time, I'm keeping my mouth shut about their game even if I'm engaged in friendly chit-chat. If I would happen to offer any thoughts, it would simply be a, "You know I've been there, and something that I found helped me was..."

• Like 1

I agree with the OP. 

As a beginner at 40yrs old, I spent huge amounts of time at the range, hitting 1400 +/- balls per week, did that for five years.  Anyway, each morning of the week had a defined practice agenda.  The day that was the most fun was wedge day, when I hit 250 balls at multiple telephone polls 20' apart, along the side of the range, and hola-hoops laid out every 10–12 yards to 120yds.  That practice regime is why, at my age, I still hit the ball well.

Two things still stand out from self-learning using 3 golf authors: One, be creative in how you practice wedges: Two, learn how to control ball spin, and trajectory.  At the time, each of those authors played blades on tour, so, as a purist, I switched to blades, and glad I did.

During those range days, like the OP, I saw a lot of people "banging" balls.  They appeared to have no direction or purpose, other than to hit balls.  Because I was learning too, it wasn't my place to inject help.  However, as my blade ball striking improved, and my practice regimes were noticed by nearby people, sometimes they'd sit and watch me with curiosity, and some people asked questions.  I answered their questions as best I could, but never felt it was appropriate to volunteer advice. 

To this day, when I infrequently hit the range, it seems nothing has changed.  With all the technology that's out there compared to 30+yrs back, golf is still hard to learn, even for a person that has all the prerequisites.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

I probably wouldn't have said anything about the clubs or club she had with her, but if I saw her struggling to hit the ball squarely and thought I could help, I'd probably throw out some unsolicited advice, which she could then throw out as well.   Some of that advice might have included to at least warm up with a 7 iron.  As for bringing just the driver, I've done that, as I can slice the crap out of my driver but rarely slice a 7 iron.   But I've also gone with a full set and worked through a variety of clubs.  I'm happy to say that, in either case, it didn't help my game at all.   So one thing no one will see at the driving range any more is me.

Nonetheless, I don't think you deserve some of the slamming you've received here, as I'm sure your intentions were good.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1