2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

How Much Can Putter Technology Really Change?

snowmangolf

I know this argument can be made about any club in the bag, but thought it would be fun to hear what people think. 

I started golfing about 5 years ago and I’m slowly getting off the “everything new must be better” train. I know I know, probably about 5 years too late. 

I understand that there are certain style putters out there today that are using new materials/designs but at the end of the day… it’s getting hard to convince me that it really makes much of a difference. 

While I do believe that modern drivers and woods are definitely better than 10-20 year old clubs, I’m struggling to see that to be true with irons and putters. 

Thoughts?

Driver:           45" Titleist TSR3 Fujikura Ventus Velocore+ Blue 6X 
Fairway:        Titleist TSR2 3 Wood Mitsubishi 1K Black 75g X
Hybrid:          Titleist TSR2 4 Hybrid Mitsubishi 1k Black 85g X

Irons:             Mizuno Pro 243 Modus 105x
Wedges:       Blue Mizuno T24 50/56/60 
Putter:           LAB Golf Blue 37" CB DF3 w/ White Accra Shaft

Ball:               Pro V1/MaxFli Tour
Bag:               VESSEL Grey Player III Stand   

Like many other things multi-material construction to move the weighting seems to be the biggest thing in a lot of large OEM's are going after since MOI is still a big thing for putters. Add on face/groove technology plus more brands are looking into better shafts.

They're doing as much as possible while still making a putter look semi decent, yes a lot are ugly but there are a lot of people who set them down and feel like they could roll a golf ball through an eyelet on a needle. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

I'd say most every style has been tried over the years.  Slight refinements have helped (inserts, milled faces, user replaceable weights, etc.) but the basic designs that work survive.  For the past 30 years or so I've only used the Anser style models (various Pings and Scotties, and a few Taylor Mades).  Currently in the bag now is a 25-year-old Ping Scottsdale Anser in Nickel.  Works and feels great.  

Edited by cristphoto
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, cristphoto said:

I'd say most every style has been tried over the years.  Slight refinements have helped (inserts, milled faces, user replaceable weights, etc.) but the basic designs that work survive.  For the past 30 years or so I've only used the Anser style models (various Pings and Scotties, and a few Taylor Mades).  Currently in the bag now is a 25-year-old Ping Scottsdale Anser in Nickel.  Works and feels great.  

That’s kind of where I guess I was going with it! Blades in particular.. there’s really not much they can do that would be innovative at this point. 

I just picked up a good condition Anser 2 Scottsdale TR at Golf Galaxy today for $40. Last week I bought the new Odyssey Tri-Hot 5k Seven S mallet and right now I’m leaning towards playing the $40 Ping this season haha 

• Like 1

Driver:           45" Titleist TSR3 Fujikura Ventus Velocore+ Blue 6X 
Fairway:        Titleist TSR2 3 Wood Mitsubishi 1K Black 75g X
Hybrid:          Titleist TSR2 4 Hybrid Mitsubishi 1k Black 85g X

Irons:             Mizuno Pro 243 Modus 105x
Wedges:       Blue Mizuno T24 50/56/60 
Putter:           LAB Golf Blue 37" CB DF3 w/ White Accra Shaft

Ball:               Pro V1/MaxFli Tour
Bag:               VESSEL Grey Player III Stand   

I think "traditional shape" technology wise, the Tri-hot 5k is pushing it close to the limit. There was an LA Golf prototype that seems to be interesting on that front to.

And odd shape... hmm LAB is definitely doing something interesting. Never used one seriously enough to judge tho.

Paradym 9 + Vanquish

Stealth 2+ 3w + Ventus Blue

Callaway UT 2024 Tour Issue 18 + KBS PGH

Mizuno 923 Tour 4-P + ProjectX LZ

Cleveland RTX 6 50 55 60

Toulon Design Vista + BGT Tour Stability

I will add for a lot of people the best thing for some putters is a proper loft, lie and length for the player and if the putter is made well ie milled to spec and sits perfect at address that can make a world of difference for a lot of people.

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

Some companies really do put effort into the technology side. 

Cleveland, for example, has their Frontline series. They have moved the COG way up to the front of the putter by having strategically placed weights in the face. Then their insert has their SOFT grooves which also help distance control on mishits.  They have removable weights on the sole. They also offer their UST All In shaft on the HB series. 

So...in short...there are developments being made all the time. 5 or 10 years ago, it would be difficult to find multiple tech features on one putter. 

PING G400 Max 
Maltby STi2  Fairway

Maltby STi2 Hybrid 

Maltby STI2 Irons 
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50 54 58

BBFandCo Roulette
MannKrafted Carbon Rattler XL
TP Mills Stainless Softtail
Krew Blade

Mannkrafted HotRod

3 hours ago, cristphoto said:

Sometimes for some folks it is all about the feel---- Your statement echos that and I agree 110%

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

Technology isnt just for performance, as some technology aims to improve feel. 

Whether that improvement in feel yields performance gains for a player, thats up to the player. 

Any technology that claims to make a difference in performance for the player, not the ball, is obviously false as no technology can make a player a better putter by itself. 

But if such putter can improve on the player's setup, alignment, stroke, or confidence, then I would say the technology has helped the player play better. 

• Like 1

I think they’re still advancements to be made in face tech and definitely in shaft tech.  Pretty soon every manufacturer will offer an upgraded low torque shaft in every putter.   I think there’s some advancements in face milling tech that could be done to negate some of variance in strike location on the putter face.  I work in a shop with multiple 5 axis cnc’s and my brain is still trying to wrap itself around everything that’s possible with those machining centers.  

Edited by Phabs

Cobra Aerojet 9* - LAGP A Series X Mid 

Cobra LTDX 3W - Tensei 1K 75 TX 

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 105X / Cobra LTDX 5w - Tensei Black 85 TX

Artisan HM's / Custom Nike VR Pro Blades - 6.5 Project X Blackouts

Mizuno T22 Copper 50/54 - Project X Blackout 7.0 Spinners

Vokey 58 T Grind - Project X 6.5 Blackout

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

2 hours ago, jomatty said:

LAB Golf and Axis one have real technology that changes the way a putter performs.  It’s not something that is going to be better for every single player, imho, but it is real technology that changes the way a putter looks and performs.  

I have modified several putters to be lie angle balanced as LAB calls it.  A balanced putter seems to be a game changer for me as my stroke is much better and my tendency to open the face through the ball is pretty much gone.  Kind of yip cure for me I guess.  As you mentioned it does not seem to be for everyone though.

• Like 1

Although I think we're on the precipice of something I'm not sure you'll see revolutionary changes as the laws of physics and the tastes of the buying public put putters in a pretty tight box. I don't think the governing bodies will allow much of anything to happen to faces of putters. I also think the buying public has spoken regarding head shapes and sizes (Doc17, ER Zero, Lab). Sure you see them here and there but you still see derivations of heel/Toe weighted blades and mallets that are seldom more than 5" from face to back skirt. Just a few years ago pushing weight away from the face was state of the art, Kombi, Sabertooth, Rings of Saturn and now.... put as much weight on the perimeter but also place it as forward as we can get away with for MOI. Putters have far more constraints than striking clubs as the ball is in near constant contact with the playing surface and friction from turf and gravity have more direct effect on the ball, especially at the speeds of putts. I think multi material putters will aid in putting a resistance to twist in the club and use of softer feeling but stiffer materials in the shaft will aid as well. Putter improvements will likely come at the fitting level as hi-res hi-speed visual confirmation fitting will show golfers what 1° and a few milliseconds of skid is really doing. 

• Like 1

Yeah, tech wise not much going on with putters, though getting a good fitting session on your putter can make a night and day difference. My putter was modded to a 74 degree lie and a 4 degree loft with a 35.75 length, which is not something you can pick off from a shelf.

Cobra LTD Pro *8.5 Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 75-TX

Mizuno ST190 3w Aldila 6S

Titleist 917 5h w/ a SR shaft need to be changed

Srixon ZX5 5~7 KBS C-Taper 130

Srixon ZX7 8~P KBS C-Taper 130

Titleist Vokey SM5 50* DG S200

Cleveland RTX 6 56* w/ 10* bounce TT Spinner

Mizuno t22 60* w/ 6* bounce TT S400

L.A.B Mezz Max Broomy 48" Accra

Titleist AVX

Here is an article that may help:

https://pluggedingolf.com/when-should-you-replace-your-golf-clubs/

A few years back I played with one of those copper putters that had 'patent applied' on it - I looked up the number and it was from 1965. Had nice weight and played as well as anything much newer I have used. I think largely putter tech is over rated. Weight only for me is important.

• Like 1

Set 1: Inesis 100 set: D, 4h, 6/7i, 8/9i, pw, sw, P + Cleveland 52o and 60o wedges

Set 2: Srixon ZX 2h, Cobra One Length 3 utility (set to 4i), MD 7i & 9i, TM RSi 50o, Cleveland RTX full face 54o & 58o, Wilson Putter

For me, a putter that suits you and you’re confident with is worth any amount of money. Whether that’s a bargain bin special or a limited Scotty, ping, etc.

It’s your most used club, so that’s more important than tech for me.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 10 set at 11 Hzrdus Red CB
Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei Blue

Ping G 17.5 set at 18.5 tour 
Titleist ts3 21 Hzrdus Smoke
Taylormade 2023 p790 5-PW kbs tour lite
Titleist Vokey SM9 50°/12° SM8 56°/14° and SM9 60°/10°
Taylormade MySpider Tour X
Titleist pro v1

[i]Remember there are no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]

5 hours ago, Ghostwedge said:

Does it matter ? Take the most technically advanced blade putter made and a $40 used beat to H Anser to the practice green. If you roll in  more putts with the Anser then that's your putter. Savor it and cover it. 

It matters if you roll more putts in with the most technologically advanced putter and have to ask yourself if you want to spend a small fortune on it.  At that point it comes down to how much better is it?  If the Anser is best than you are in luck and don’t have to make a decision!

• Like 1

Putter itself I agree not much to improve tech wise, but the faces... The varying groove thickness idea like evnroll I can appreciate, transfer more energy to the off center strikes which can tend to not travel as far as a center strike, sound logic. And the SIK face, with the 4 different lofts milled in, so when your strike varies and is more up or down at the ball, the idea is you'll still present the same loft.

Those are the 2 that stand out to me as actual game improving tech. And I guess the 3D printed putters as well where you can really throw the weight out towards the toe and heel, has to improve MOI..... what real measurable effect that has.... I don't know. 

• Like 1

TM SIM Max 9*  Tensei blue AV 65-S

Mizuno ST180 3w 15* Tensei blue-S

Cobra BioCell 5w 19* Matrix RedTie-S

Ping G30 4h 22* TFC 419-R

Wilson FG Tour V4 4-PW DG Pro S300

Cleveland CBX 52* 58* DG 115-W

Mannkrafted rebar Rattler 

I'd say it depends on how you define "Tech".  Today, there is such a wide variety of putter options (shapes, weights, faces, alignment lines, etc.).  I think the term Tech often gets confused for meaning something new or innovative  Used as more of a marketing term.  There is only so much you can do with a putter.  If a 30 year old putter fits and you have confidence in it, you have no reason to change.  However, that would not make for a good marketing slogan.

A few tech moments in the last 10 years. At least, this is how I remembered. 

- Grooves are all the rage in early 2010s. When Tiger switched from his Scotty to the Nike putter, it felt the sky is falling.

-  Ping's variable depth grooves in mid 2010s. Bobby Grace also did something similar earlier. 

- Odyssey's Versa alignment. If I remember correctly, Odyssey guys said the whole Versa color scheme is an accident. They were experimenting multi material construction. To highlight the different material, they paint the putter different color during the presentation to executives. The multi material did not move forward, but the different color scheme got a lot of love. And Versa was born. (God, I hope I did not make this up. This is almost 10 years ago)

• Like 1

Roll a LAB and you'll understand "old" technology vs "new".

• Like 2

Vessel XV Cart White
Ping G430 Max 12* Ventus TR 5R

Ping G430 Max 3W Ventus Red 6R

Ping G425 4/5/6 Hybrid Regular 
Ping I525 7-U Alta Slate Stiff+1/4 Blue Dot Dot
Ping Glide 4.0 52/56/60 Steelfiber F3 +1/4 Blue Dot
LAB DF 2.1 Blue 35.5 67* 

Titleist Pro V1 and Srixon Z-Star

On 2/9/2023 at 9:08 PM, 5hort5tuff said:

Some companies really do put effort into the technology side. 

Cleveland, for example, has their Frontline series. They have moved the COG way up to the front of the putter by having strategically placed weights in the face. Then their insert has their SOFT grooves which also help distance control on mishits.  They have removable weights on the sole. They also offer their UST All In shaft on the HB series. 

So...in short...there are developments being made all the time. 5 or 10 years ago, it would be difficult to find multiple tech features on one putter. 

Odyssey did the same thing between their 10 and 11 series. The 10's had weight way back and the 11's have weight way forward. 

Assuming these companies employ actual engineers, and own all the latest testing and analysis gear, the idea that they suddenly discovered that a completely opposite approach to weighting was the way to go is pretty funny to me. I'm sure it didn't go down that way. More likely the guys in marketing said "the 10's didn't sell enough, we need something different this year."

• Like 1

On 2/10/2023 at 3:06 PM, Medson said:

A few tech moments in the last 10 years. At least, this is how I remembered. 

- Grooves are all the rage in early 2010s. When Tiger switched from his Scotty to the Nike putter, it felt the sky is falling.

-  Ping's variable depth grooves in mid 2010s. Bobby Grace also did something similar earlier. 

- Odyssey's Versa alignment. If I remember correctly, Odyssey guys said the whole Versa color scheme is an accident. They were experimenting multi material construction. To highlight the different material, they paint the putter different color during the presentation to executives. The multi material did not move forward, but the different color scheme got a lot of love. And Versa was born. (God, I hope I did not make this up. This is almost 10 years ago)

When I think grooves from 10 years ago, yes!  If the first one that pops in my head.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2023 at 8:45 AM, HighHooks said:

Been using Axis1 for about 4 years when Justin Rose switched, and after stumbling across this video. Their CG patents separate them from everyone else.  Basically proves what they claim in this video about point of zero twist being exactly where the line is on the putter and having consistent ball speeds through out the entire face...They've been talking about Perfect Balance / Torque free for over a decade. Others have tried to copy. They also have the patents to put the CG on the Center of the striking face and others (Odyssey, Cleveland, TaylorMade) are now talking about moving CG forward. 

There's a ton of interesting ideas in the putter world, but so many times the best tech results in a design that a lot of golfers just refuse to imagine themselves using. 

Here's another one that might work incredibly well but is just too odd-looking for most of us:

BioMech AccuLock ACE Putter… A More Natural, Efficient Putting System – BioMech Golf

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have tried;

-torque balanced

-stability shafts

-sik face

-Evnroll face

-SeeMore rst 

These all haven’t helped me that much

Odyssey stroke lab weighting and Sacks Parente ultra low balance point have helped me a lot more.  When I can feel the head more I can create a tempo with proper pace. Sacks Parente heads are all high moi for off center strikes and cg in the right place to avoid sidespin. 

We've been conditioned to choose between a gecko with a British accent, an emu or some middle-aged woman with a ray gun to buy car insurance.

Why? Because they're all about the same.

There is no objective testing to measure putter performance. There is no evidence that putter A is better technology than putters B, C or D. Why? Because subjective branding, marketing and influencer effect is better for sales. It's easy to say something is high MOI without a shred of evidence to show it. Especially if measured testing might show isn't any better.

Just one example is that you can measure the effect of MOI by measuring ball dispersion with robot testing of impact at different locations on the face. That would clearly show which putters have the highest MO and be very useful to people, but here, watch this emu.

There are other measurable tests to compare performance and technology, such as how much bounce and skid, distance until true roll, how much backspin off the face, etc. Never see it, do you? They are real indicators of performance, but here, watch this gecko.

The only thing tested is the size of marketing budgets. You want us to test your putter? Pay us X thousand dollars, and we'll have some people write their feelings and put you on the "Hot List."

Many golfers are like women and handbags. Ooooh, Tiger has this brand; Kim Kardashian has this brand. And they'll rationalize their decision until death that it's better.

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key