Old School Shafts

jholz

When I was in grad school, Proforce V2's were all the rage. Never had the chance to hit one in the day.

But, my brother still plays one in his 909 D3. I swung it. Feels fabulous. Ordered one. $75. Hopefully get in play this weekend or the next.

But this got me to thinking...

We all know of those classic shaft profiles that are still available out there - Aldila NV, ProLaunch Blue, and the venerable Proforce V2, among others.

Do you think these shafts are giving up much against the Velocores, GD DI's, and other exotics? Anyone else using these "classics"?

All I can say is that I'm expecting a lower ballflight and some tighter dispersion from the V2. Hard to beat the price. We will see how it goes...

• Like 3

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

I still have a ProLaunch Red that I will put into play from time to time. Might just be for nostalgia for me. The Proforce V2 is still offered as a new shaft, just a different paint scheme. I've had members of mine have success with it recently. Both the standard and the HL version. I also still keep a Speeder VC 9.2 in a Callaway Apex UT that I'll hit from time to time. Don't feel like I lose anything with it.

• Like 2

Ping g430 LST 9* - HZRDUS Hulk 6.5 65g
Ping g430 LST 14.5* - Project X Smoke Black 70x
Ping g430 17* - Project X Smoke Black 6.5 or TM P70UDI 2 with same shaft
Ping i59 4-PW - DG AMT White X100
Callaway Jaws Raw Black 50*, 54*, 60*- DG TI S400
Odyssey O-Works Black Jailbird Mini w/ Stability Tour
Taylor Made TP5 PIX

Different feel and a little more stability for me old school vs. newer shafts. 

• Like 2

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM Qi10 Tour 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

9 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

Have a few NV75, an NV105 in a wood,

I’ve been looking to get a 7W shaft that’s in the 90-105g range since I play my 7W at 40”, how is the NV 105? 

I like the more stiff butt, firm to soft tip…… with some kick to it! 

If a profile fits, it’s worth keeping👍

id much rather pay $100 for a 4-5y old high modulus shaft, than >$350 for a new offering anyways, and sometimes the made for shafts work better than the high dollar ones. 

I prefer the Tensei Orange CK 75x in a 5 wood over the Pro Orange, the higher torque and softer tip is just a better fit for me in that club ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Edited by Drivingrangehero
  • Like 1

Manufacturing process, tolerances and materials used have all greatly improved.  That said if an older shaft fits your swing then there is no reason to change.  The UST V2 has always been one of my favorites.  While I might try other shafts, the V2 keeps going back in the bag.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Drivingrangehero said:

I’ve been looking to get a 7W shaft that’s in the 90-105g range since I play my 7W at 40”, how is the NV 105? 

I like the more stiff butt, firm to soft tip…… with some kick to it! 

If a profile fits, it’s worth keeping👍

id much rather pay $100 for a 4-5y old high modulus shaft, than >$350 for a new offering anyways, and sometimes the made for shafts work better than the high dollar ones. 

I prefer the Tensei Orange CK 75x in a 5 wood over the Pro Orange, the higher torque and softer tip is just a better fit for me in that club ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

I've found it to play fairly similar to the 75 and 85 versions, aside from the obvious weight difference.  It's been a while since I've hit it.

Going to be hard to find a 105.  😐

Another one I've used with nice effect is the RIP Beta 90.  Found a couple new, thought they would be a nice add to the 3w slot.  Like them more than I thought I would.  Again, hard to find one, the seller I got mine from doesn't have any more of them.

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Thanks 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I just picked up a couple Attas 5 Gogo shafts, 6S for driver, and 7S for my 4 wood. $120 for both. The driver is probably going to beat out the AD-IZ that I have. That IZ has been tipped and I don't like the feel. (Thanks Taylormade). Both clubs had Proforce V2's in them when I got them, and were very good. But a WRXer gonna Wrx.

• Like 1

Srixon ZX5 LS MK II 9.5° - Attas 11 70S
Honma TW747 3HL (16.5°) - Tour AD-IZ 7S

Honma TW747 7 wood - Attas 5 GoGo 7S

Honma TW-X 3 iron - Vizzard 85S (alternates with LW)

4-PW 2015 OnOff Forged Kuro - AMT Tour White X100 SSx2

50°-08 - Fourteen RM-4 - AMT X100
56°-10 - Fourteen RM-4 H grind - AMT X100
64°-10 - Callaway Jaws Full Toe Black - Dynamic Gold Spinner (alternates with 3 iron)

Piretti Cottonwood II, 375g - KBS GPS, P2 Aware Tour

Grips - Star Sidewinder 360

Maxfli Tour Yellow

Vessel Player III - Iridium

17 minutes ago, knudson81 said:

I know a guy who still RIPS the UST V2 and plays it religiously to this day. He has tried other shafts but just comfortable with the V2. I on the other hand have tried some older Diamana and Matrix shafts that I have laying around and never found the old magic they once had. It is a bummer because I REALLY wanted the Diamana 93x to work in a 7w!

The V2 is a unique animal.  Seems like the guys who get along with it have a hard time finding something that has a similar feel.  Feel means so much.  I love seeing players gaming these old shafts.  Just reinforces newer is not always better.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cgasucks said:

Tom Wishon said that the bend profile of graphite shafts has changed very little in the past 30 years.  The only thing that is different now with the shafts of today is that they're made better with more exotic materials which translates into higher prices. 

When I started golf in 2000 a tour quality shaft was like $50.  Now it's $500.

Totally agree and that increase has not translated into an equal decrease in handicaps.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, ProV9 said:

I still put the old diamana blue board into play every now and then. Feels almost as good as my Velocore. 

I have one as well and it does feel as smooth as silk, I just can't hit it anywhere near as consistent on the range or course. 

1 minute ago, Stuart_G said:

If they are good fit, you wont loose a thing.  Might even gain something if they are better fit.

Personally I was a big fan of the PFv2, I just liked the Aldila VS-proto a tiny bit more.

I tried like heck to get that shaft to work when it first came out! Tried it in just about every driver, fairway, and hybrid head I could get my hands on but it just didn't work for me. I was so bummed because that was the hottest thing in the shop around 15yrs ago!

• Like 1

CJPSignatureV3.png.c58dade69e39827f99ae02c309fb82e2.png

Instagram  |  iTunes  |  SoundCloud  |  Spotify | YouTube

3 hours ago, knudson81 said:

I know a guy who still RIPS the UST V2 and plays it religiously to this day. He has tried other shafts but just comfortable with the V2. I on the other hand have tried some older Diamana and Matrix shafts that I have laying around and never found the old magic they once had. It is a bummer because I REALLY wanted the Diamana 93x to work in a 7w!

IMHO if that Diamana 93 X had worked for you in a 7 wood that would have been a little pocket rocket. Me no way today with my back would I consider it

• Like 1

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

4 hours ago, golfinbrad said:

Manufacturing process, tolerances and materials used have all greatly improved.  That said if an older shaft fits your swing then there is no reason to change.  The UST V2 has always been one of my favorites.  While I might try other shafts, the V2 keeps going back in the bag.

There's nothing significant in the manufacturing process of the original V2's that is improved upon now.  If the bend profile, weight, and torque fit you, it's a great shaft.  Among a lot of others from many years ago

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Stuart_G said:

If they are good fit, you wont loose a thing.  Might even gain something if they are better fit.

Personally I was a big fan of the PFv2, I just liked the Aldila VS-proto a tiny bit more.

I never had the chance to try the VS-Proto. But do still have a classic Aldila NV 75s in my DOT "Stenson Special" 13* FW.

I still put that club in the bag for certain courses. Tough to beat the head. Tough to beat the shaft.

That's why I keep playing it.

Although, I absolutely love hitting my current 15* G30 with the AD-DI 7X.

It's tough to go wrong with the options out there, and I'm always loath to blame the equipment.

As such, I've always had a frankenstein bag when it comes to shafts. I buy best available at a price I can afford.

Edited by jholz
  • Like 2

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

1 hour ago, knudson81 said:

I tried like heck to get that shaft to work when it first came out! Tried it in just about every driver, fairway, and hybrid head I could get my hands on but it just didn't work for me. I was so bummed because that was the hottest thing in the shop around 15yrs ago!

Sounds like a similar thing I went through with the original Grafalloy Blue.  Except I only tried it in one club before giving up on it and going to (really stumbling upon) the pro-lite.

Edited by Stuart_G
  • Like 2

The YS6+ is still one of my favorite driver shafts of all time. The YS+ hybrid shaft ain't no slouch either. I actually just opened a 905T with YS6+ that I bought off Ebay for $45. Getting ready to head to the course with my early to mid 2000's vintage bag. 904F fairways and MP 30 irons round out the set.

• Like 1

PING G400 Max 10.5° GD YS Nano Reloaded 6X                                            

TaylorMade SIM2 Max 16.5° 3HL Mitsubishi Diamana Kai'Li 70 X                                                       

Callaway V-Series 19° 5 wood Mitsubishi Diamana Kai'Li 80 S                                                         

PING G410 22°, 26° & 30° Hybrids KBS Steel Hybrid Shaft X                                               

Adams A4 Forged 7-PW Dynamic Gold AMT X100 D4                                                                        

Cleveland CBX 50°, 55° Dynamic Gold S400

Cleveland CBX Full Face 60° Dynamic Gold Tour Spinner

Odyssey 2-Ball Blade w/Triple Trac

Vice Pro Plus Lime

About six weeks ago I put an Aldila ATX Tour Blue 85g hybrid shaft in a Mavrik Pro 23 degree head and it’s perfect. Fantastic performance. Stable but not boardy, penetrating mid-flight. Can pick up new ones for cheap these days. I always liked the ATX version and it still competes. Like it so much I may put a 75g fairway shaft in an og Rogue 7 wood head I got refinished. 

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

3 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

I remember the ProForce shaft being not much over $30.

I remember the OG purple and yellow ProForce being about $70 from Golfsmith back in the day.

Srixon ZX5 LS MK II 9.5° - Attas 11 70S
Honma TW747 3HL (16.5°) - Tour AD-IZ 7S

Honma TW747 7 wood - Attas 5 GoGo 7S

Honma TW-X 3 iron - Vizzard 85S (alternates with LW)

4-PW 2015 OnOff Forged Kuro - AMT Tour White X100 SSx2

50°-08 - Fourteen RM-4 - AMT X100
56°-10 - Fourteen RM-4 H grind - AMT X100
64°-10 - Callaway Jaws Full Toe Black - Dynamic Gold Spinner (alternates with 3 iron)

Piretti Cottonwood II, 375g - KBS GPS, P2 Aware Tour

Grips - Star Sidewinder 360

Maxfli Tour Yellow

Vessel Player III - Iridium

2 hours ago, Stuart_G said:

Sounds like a similar thing I went through with the original Grafalloy Blue.  Except I only tried it in one club before giving up on it and going to (really stumbling upon) the pro-lite.

That super stiff middle section is a unique beast.  Made the shaft feel a bit dead to me.  I also preferred the Pro-Lite

• Like 2

1 hour ago, drumdude96 said:

The YS6+ is still one of my favorite driver shafts of all time. The YS+ hybrid shaft ain't no slouch either. I actually just opened a 905T with YS6+ that I bought off Ebay for $45. Getting ready to head to the course with my early to mid 2000's vintage bag. 904F fairways and MP 30 irons round out the set.

One of the very best shafts that has a soft overall bend profile through the tip.  Regardless of price

3 hours ago, JCAG said:

Aldila NV 55, A Flex SST Pured still my go to driver shaft.

I still have a Graman UL440 regular that goes as good for me as all the shafts I have tried since.

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

About 20 years ago I had a UST Pro Force Gold 65 in an Orlimar HipTi driver that I just bombed and hit straight.   For some reason I never looked at it that close.  One day I did, and realized I had an R shaft.  I couldn't possibly be an regular shaft guy, so  I swapped it out for a stiff, never hit it nearly as good as I did the R......

• Like 3

WITB
TaylorMade Qi10 9.0 Tensei AV Limited Black 65 S 

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 3 and 5 wood, Tensei AV Limited Blue 75

Matlby TS3 4-5, Matlby TS4 6-GW, Recoil Dart V 105 F4

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 54, 60

Spider Tour X L-Neck 35

Srixon-Z Star XV