2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Aldila VS Proto - I wish I knew how to quit you

anth

On a whim I purchased the new Qi10 in 10.5 with a Graphite Design AD IZ 5 Stiff. I took a gamble with both the head - was thinking I need the Max version - and the shaft, having never played GD shafts before.

I chose these specs based on my current set up, knowing that I need launch and spin to keep the ball in the air to max out my distance.  I swing around 100 mph but may have slowed a little as I’m in my late forties.

The first few range sessions and round have been just so so.  Granted I wasn’t swinging well but I found that the toe miss with this setup was resulting in those low spin hooks - no fun at all.  And I seemed to be venturing towards the toe too often for my liking.

At this stage I’m thinking I need to try the Max head, but just for fun I threw an old VS Proto 60 S in the head that I had from when I last played a TaylorMade driver. It’s half an inch shorter than the GD and plays at 44.5. It’s also a little heavier (feel more comfortable in the 50g weight range as I get older).

Anyway if you’ve read this far you know how the rest of the story goes - finding the middle much more frequently, hitting a medium draw that seems to be travelling (crappy range balls), and even the occasional toe miss seems to result in a better outcome.

Needless to say that the VS Proto is staying for now. I want to see how it performs on course with my usual ball, but I’m curious as to why this shaft just seems to work for me, and why the IZ doesn’t.  I don’t know enough about shaft profiles but I do think these 2 aren’t that far apart, and I’m not prepared to abandon the GD experiment just yet.  To be clear I really like the feel of the IZ - it’s more the lack of performance.

You’re the expert - what do you suggest? Is it the weight? The length? Something about the profile?

TaylorMade Qi10 Designer Series (Black Out) 10.5* 
Callaway BB Alpha 816 16*
Srixon Z H45 Hybrid 19* 
Srixon ZX Utility 23*
Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-AW

Callaway Jaws Raw Black 54 & 58
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black / Mizuno M.Craft OMOI #1
Bridgestone Tour RX

Can’t really answer your question but following a similar path as the other day I saw I could pick up a brand new Aldila Green NV NXT 65X for next to nothing so currently waiting for the epoxy to cure to give that a go in my TSR3 as winter winds down in the upper Midwest. I was actually torn between this and a 55X VS Proto that was only slightly more. 

I've tried just about every Graphite Design shaft and I can't get along with any of them. A friend of mine got fitted at The Kingdom (he works in the golf industry) a few weeks ago and when he asked about trying GD shafts, the fitter (he didn't say who it was, but said he fits lots of tour pros) said "why even bother with the Graphite Design? It's inferior to the Velocore you already have". 

While I do think GD is obviously an upgrade from a stock shaft, I've never found any of them to be insanely impressive. 

Stick with whatever is working for you. 

• Like 1

Driver:           45" Titleist TSR3 Fujikura Ventus Velocore+ Blue 6X 
Fairway:        Titleist TSR2 3 Wood Mitsubishi 1K Black 75g X
Hybrid:          Titleist TSR2 4 Hybrid Mitsubishi 1k Black 85g X

Irons:             Mizuno Pro 243 Modus 105x
Wedges:       Blue Mizuno T24 50/56/60 
Putter:           LAB Golf Blue 37" CB DF3 w/ White Accra Shaft

Ball:               Pro V1/MaxFli Tour
Bag:               VESSEL Grey Player III Stand   

There should be a group that gathers once a year somewhere for all those like you and I that can't kick some old Aldilia driver shaft out of the bag.  I've been down this same road.  I have a Rogue MAX 75X that was the stock shaft in a 917 that somehow or another always finds its way back.  The info on it is sparse, they stopped making it a few years ago, apparently there's one that's Low Launch and another that's Mid and i'm not even sure which one the one I have is.

I battled TSR3 when i first got it, Ventus TR Red, nope.  AD-DI, nope.  1k Black, nope. HZRDUS Black, nope.

Aldilia Rogue M.AX "This is the best driver I've ever owned".  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Lol, so the VS Proto and Rogue MAX are my two all time favorite "comfort" shafts for fairways/hybrids/etc!  Maybe someone with a better knowledge than I have of shafts profiles can explain why that might be? 

Anyway, I say don't force it, love it and live it!!!

• Like 2

AI Smoke TD 9° w/HZRDUS Yellow

Epic Flash 12.5° w/Voodoo VS

'24 Apex UW 19° w/Rogue Silver

Epic Flash 20° w/VS Proto 
'19 Apex Pro 5-9 w/DG

MD2 47° & 52° + PM 1.0 58° & 64° w/DG
Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball Frankenstein (Fowler style)
[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

9 hours ago, anth said:

IMG_0738.jpeg

Perfect response!!

BT

• Like 1

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

9 hours ago, anth said:

Needless to say that the VS Proto is staying for now. I want to see how it performs on course with my usual ball, but I’m curious as to why this shaft just seems to work for me, and why the IZ doesn’t.  I don’t know enough about shaft profiles but I do think these 2 aren’t that far apart, and I’m not prepared to abandon the GD experiment just yet.  To be clear I really like the feel of the IZ - it’s more the lack of performance.

Not an expert... but understand your dilemma regarding VS Proto working and IZ not working.   It doesn't take a great deal to make a difference.  It could be as simple 3.2 tq of 63g over 4.4 tq 56g, and bend profile.

I have enjoyed playing a Ventus Velo TR Blue S 58g series in TSR2 10' at 44.75" since TR was introduced; hit is well and long, but on those cold ugly days we didn't know each other.   I suspect the mid-bend profile was more noticeable, but not sure.

Anyway, last week, impulsively I pulled my trusty Tour issue Fujikura Fuel Tour Spec 60 (65g) "S" shaft out, playing length is 44.5 and surprised myself.  Though it's a much stiffer "S", high bend, and heavier, butt stiff shaft, I was smacking it well.  Even my playing buddies commented on my distances in damp fairway, and chilly weather. 

For the foreseeable future, it's back in the bag. 😎  Go figure.

• Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo Red 59S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17 2i° Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S Wedge 113
  • SM10 F52/12, T58/4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

In my opinion the answer to your question is weight and timing. it seems like that shaft works with your timing. I seem to do well with Hzrdus shafts and the Mitsubishi Diamana D+ limited edition 70 x and 80x just seem to suit my weight needs and timing.

• Thanks 1

WHATS IN THE BAG 2024

DRIVER - TAYLORMADE M5 9* PROJECT X HZRDUS SMOKE BLACK 70 6.5

3WOOD- TAYLORMADE M6 15* PROJECT X HZRDUS SMOKE BLACK 80 6.5

2UDI- TAYLORMADE SIM UDI #2 MITSUBISHI DIAMANA THUMP HYBRID 100 XSTIFF

3-PW- MIZUNO MP-53 DYNAMIC GOLD S300

WEDGES- TITLEIST VOKEY SM6 53*S /58*S DYNAMIC GOLD WEDGE

PUTTER- PING G2 ANSER 33.5"  PING PP58 MIDSIZE 

BALL- 24 TAYLORMADE TP5 / 23 SRIXON Z STAR

GRIPS- GOLF PRIDE TOUR VELVET PLUS 4 STANDARD

4 hours ago, Dan Drake said:

Lol, so the VS Proto and Rogue MAX are my two all time favorite "comfort" shafts for fairways/hybrids/etc!  Maybe someone with a better knowledge than I have of shafts profiles can explain why that might be? 

Anyway, I say don't force it, love it and live it!!!

Both Aldila blue type profiles: stiff handle, softer/hinge-ish midsection, stiffer tip section.

Others like this are the ATX Blue, Aldila Synergy Blue, Rogue Black, and Rogue White (non-TX) is with some counterbalance thrown in.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

1 hour ago, Shanks2424 said:

In my opinion the answer to your question is weight and timing. it seems like that shaft works with your timing. I seem to do well with Hzrdus shafts and the Mitsubishi Diamana D+ limited edition 70 x and 80x just seem to suit my weight needs and timing.

I suspect you may be right. As much as I want to go lighter 60g weights probably just give me that level of control.

• Like 1

Srixon Z H45 Hybrid 19* 
Srixon ZX Utility 23*
Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-AW

Bridgestone Tour RX

54 minutes ago, bcflyguy1 said:

Both Aldila blue type profiles: stiff handle, softer/hinge-ish midsection, stiffer tip section.

Whereas the GD IZ is said to be more one piece / no hinge?

Srixon Z H45 Hybrid 19* 
Srixon ZX Utility 23*
Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-AW

Bridgestone Tour RX

1 minute ago, anth said:

I suspect you may be right. As much as I want to go lighter 60g weights probably just give me that level of control.

I cant hit GD shafts. I always release them early now I might try the new VF shaft that Tiger is playing.

• Like 1

WHATS IN THE BAG 2024

DRIVER - TAYLORMADE M5 9* PROJECT X HZRDUS SMOKE BLACK 70 6.5

3WOOD- TAYLORMADE M6 15* PROJECT X HZRDUS SMOKE BLACK 80 6.5

2UDI- TAYLORMADE SIM UDI #2 MITSUBISHI DIAMANA THUMP HYBRID 100 XSTIFF

3-PW- MIZUNO MP-53 DYNAMIC GOLD S300

WEDGES- TITLEIST VOKEY SM6 53*S /58*S DYNAMIC GOLD WEDGE

PUTTER- PING G2 ANSER 33.5"  PING PP58 MIDSIZE 

BALL- 24 TAYLORMADE TP5 / 23 SRIXON Z STAR

GRIPS- GOLF PRIDE TOUR VELVET PLUS 4 STANDARD

Some good responses here. Will stick with the VS Proto as discussed.

At some stage I will shorten the IZ to the same playing length, at the very least to rule that out as a factor

• Like 1

Srixon Z H45 Hybrid 19* 
Srixon ZX Utility 23*
Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-AW

Bridgestone Tour RX

2 hours ago, anth said:

No, the IZ isn’t all that different. However, when you find a shaft you love you need to play it as long as you can. When you find a fit that good, any move away will be lateral at best.

• Like 1

WITB Link

Not a shaft expert, but I have a similar love for the VS Proto. I still use one in my  3 wood and hybrid.

What I love about the Proto is that it has a very low torque relative to other driver shafts and produces, at least for me a medium/lower ball flight. I did recently replace the Proto in my driver with a Ventus TR Blue, also low torque and get very similar performance but a little better feel. I tried a TR blue in my hybrid but didn’t get the same results.

• Like 1

Same here.  I am still gaming an Aldila NV.  The profile just fits me.  The feel is the best of any shaft I have ever tried.  I have tried probably over 50 shafts since I started gaming this shaft 7-8 years ago.  None of the GD shafts have come close for me and none of the newer shafts have been as good for distance, consistency and feel.  Tried all 3 Ventus Velecore colors and not even close.  I am not sure why but I am not complaining that a $50 shaft is the best for me and I don't need to shell out hundreds of dollars.

If it fits and results are good stick with it  I know its hard,

I have two of them as fairway shafts that just flat out work. Have had many versions of them in hybrids in the past, but my swing is too shallow to get along with hybrids anymore. If someone needs some old hybrid shafts pm me. 

Callaway Rough SZ 8.0* Fuji Evo 757x / Fairway 15* Shaft TBD

Cleveland 588h 18* Speeder 904hb / Srixon ZU85 23* 4u

King Cobra Forged CB 5-Pw Nippon Modus 120x

Mizuno T20 50s Modus 120x, SM4 55.12 / Callaway MDf 60* DG Spinner 

Odyssey O-Works Black 1WS

Aldila Tour Green addict here.  Have backup bags in my buddy's house in NJ and my dad's in Jacksonville.  Both have drivers with Tour Green 65-S in them.

Current gamer (LA Golf OLYSS) is a variation on the Tour Green profile.  So is the Rogue Silver 125 in my 4W.

OP, when you find something that works, stick with it. Your wallet will thank you later...

Titleist TSR3 10*: LA Golf Olyss 65S

Titleist TSi2 16.5*: Aldila Rogue Silver 125 70S

Titleist TSR3 19*:  LA Golf Ozik Black Tie 105S

Titleist TSi2 22*: Aldila Tour Blue 105TX

Grindworks PR-202 6-PW: Nippon Modus3 120X

Edel SMS 48*V / 60*T:  Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Grindworks Barrett 52* / 56*: Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Fastback

On 2/22/2024 at 3:24 AM, anth said:

You’re the expert - what do you suggest? Is it the weight? The length? Something about the profile?

Length, shaft weight, swing weight, or profile - or any combination of those.

Only way to figure it out is to change only one thing at a time.  You can come close to doing that with the following if you're really itching to know.  It will take some time and effort but it shouldn't be too bad.

Take the IZ and add some lead tape to the center of the shaft to get it the same weight as the vs-proto - then put it on the club and go test it choking up to the same length as the club with the vs-proto.    If the results are not similar than you know the profile plays at least a part in those differences.   Then 2) you can "undo" (remove) the lead tape and re-test (still choking up).   Then 3) Put the lead tape back on and re-test with the heavier shaft weight but without choking up to get the original playing length.   That should cover all the different permutations and give you an idea of how influential each change might have been.

Edited by Stuart_G
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

OP checking in.

The oncourse results with the Aldila weren’t much better. It’s absolutely me and not the shaft - I am struggling with my game lately. Have not been feeling great with the arthritis playing havoc with my neck and shoulders.

That led me back to the GD because it’s lighter and easier for me to manage, especially towards the end of the round.

Have had some big drives with this setup, but again, the miss is punishing. Anything that ventures too far towards the toe gives you that lowing diving left ball. And even on flush shots I feel like I’m not getting the most out of my drives because the ball is not staying in the air as long as it should.

Think I need the Max head to take advantage of the extra launch and spin

Srixon Z H45 Hybrid 19* 
Srixon ZX Utility 23*
Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-AW

Bridgestone Tour RX

On 2/22/2024 at 2:06 PM, anth said:

Yes.  IZ is firm from tip to handle and feels very linear.  VS Proto has a softer mid and there's a pronounced kick in that area.  That's probably what you feel and are more comfortable with.  I'm the opposite of you.  The only Aldila shaft that was in the realm of ok for me was the Rogue Silver 125.  Currently have the VF in my bag and it's been money in terms of feel and ball speed.  Still struggle with dispersion though when my swing is off. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

On 2/22/2024 at 7:15 AM, snowmangolf said:

I've tried just about every Graphite Design shaft and I can't get along with any of them. A friend of mine got fitted at The Kingdom (he works in the golf industry) a few weeks ago and when he asked about trying GD shafts, the fitter (he didn't say who it was, but said he fits lots of tour pros) said "why even bother with the Graphite Design? It's inferior to the Velocore you already have". 

While I do think GD is obviously an upgrade from a stock shaft, I've never found any of them to be insanely impressive. 

I have a problem with what your fitter friend said about GD shafts vs Ventus, however, the number of Ventus users on tour don't lie.  I guess I'm stupid according to him for ditching my TR Black in favor of the VF recently, lol. 

• Like 2

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

On 2/22/2024 at 8:15 AM, snowmangolf said:

Sounds like Trottie; he doesn’t use them himself but I noticed how many of the wood fits he posts walk out with Ventus shafts. To be fair, the Ventus line is much more straightforward to work with as a fitter, and obviously the performance and quality are there.

WITB Link

There is NOTHING wrong with Aldila shafts.
Back in the early-mid 2000's they had a insane lineup.

For my game their hybrid lineup is the best by a country mile.

• Like 2

Taylormade QI10LS 10.5 (@9.5) Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore+ 6S 
Taylormade Stealth 2+ 15 (@14.50) Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.1S Tipped .5"
Callaway Apex "21" 19/3H Aldila Rogue Black TS95 Tipped .5"
Taylormade SLDR 4i DGSLS300S
Taylormade P750 7-PW P770 5i-6i DG AMT White S300
Taylormade MG2 52 DGTIS400, MG4TW 56/12 DGTIS400, & Tour Issued MG3 Hi Toe 60/09 DGTIS200 115
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 2 34.5"
Bridgestone Tour B XS (Testing New TP5x)