who has actually played with a legit scratch golfer/pro level player?

15678911»

Comments

  • GolfChannelGolfChannel Orlando, FloridaMembers Posts: 1,643 ✭✭
    Golfjack wrote:


    Good golfers are just amazing. I'd feel like I'm doing well being 1 under through three holes, and for them it's what they do pretty much every 3 holes, give or take a birdie or occasional bogey. The skill level is just massive. However I think comparing scratch guys to pro guys (even mini tour or even college guys) they probably feel the same. They'll see how that pro hits the shot closer than them seemingly every time. And when they miss the green their chip lands very close to the hole, and they'll par it anyway. Seriously how you do you even beat that unless you can say your own game resembles the same?




    I mean just think of what that freedom from fear alone does to your scores.
    Driver: He who shall not be named...
    3 Wood: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Blue Evenflow 75
    5 Wood: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Blue Evenflow 75
    Irons: Ping iBlade Nippon AWT 2.0 Stiff
    Wedges: Callaway MD3 50, 54, and Honma TW737 Forged 62
    Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
    Ball: Srixon Z-Star 2018 (Yellow)
  • Matt JMatt J Members Posts: 8,668 ✭✭
    Every time I see this thread pop up on my feed, I think.... "who hasn't played with a scratch ?!?"



    Honestly, not being snide at all, if you haven't and you can easily afford it and love this game, go out and hire a teaching pro in your region with the best reputation as a "player." If you don't know, then ask around a little, there will be one or two that have a reputation for going low in the local Pro Am's.



    Ask him for a playing lesson, 18 holes, and then tell him you want all your strokes, if he's a plus which he should be add them to your handicap and bet him a dollar nassau. Tell him that you want him to withhold his comments on your course management until after the round and go out and play him net.



    Best money you could spend if you want to get better at this game. He may not be a good teacher, and you may not want to take his swing advice or course management advice, but you should learn enough by just watching him take your local course apart to pay for the lesson.
  • ObeeObee ClubWRX Posts: 3,665 ClubWRX
    Matt J wrote:


    Every time I see this thread pop up on my feed, I think.... "who hasn't played with a scratch ?!?"



    Honestly, not being snide at all, if you haven't and you can easily afford it and love this game, go out and hire a teaching pro in your region with the best reputation as a "player." If you don't know, then ask around a little, there will be one or two that have a reputation for going low in the local Pro Am's.



    Ask him for a playing lesson, 18 holes, and then tell him you want all your strokes, if he's a plus which he should be add them to your handicap and bet him a dollar nassau. Tell him that you want him to withhold his comments on your course management until after the round and go out and play him net.



    Best money you could spend if you want to get better at this game. He may not be a good teacher, and you may not want to take his swing advice or course management advice, but you should learn enough by just watching him take your local course apart to pay for the lesson.




    That, right there, is some of the best advice ever written on this forum.



    The journey has to start somewhere. And this is a great way to start that journey.
    PING G400 Max - Tour 65 S
    Callaway Rogue 15* 3W
    Titleist H1 19* Diamana S+ Blue 70hy
    Titleist H1 23* Diamana S+ Blue 70hy
    Adams Idea Tech V4 5H 25* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Adams Idea Tech V4 6H 28* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Adams Idea Tech V4 7H 32* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S
    Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
    Don Wood Custom Grind 47* PW
    Don Wood Custom Grind 51* GW
    Titleist "Vokey Design" 56* K Grind
    Mizuno S18 60/7 LW
    Odyssey Works Versa Tank 1W (bent to 78.5*)
  • FergusonFerguson Executive Member VAMembers Posts: 4,449 ✭✭
    If you find yourself not improving, chances are you could benefit greatly from playing with better players.
  • MidwestGolfBumMidwestGolfBum Corporate Golfer Extraordinaire MSN/MKE/DSMMembers Posts: 1,284 ✭✭
    Obee wrote:

    Matt J wrote:


    Every time I see this thread pop up on my feed, I think.... "who hasn't played with a scratch ?!?"



    Honestly, not being snide at all, if you haven't and you can easily afford it and love this game, go out and hire a teaching pro in your region with the best reputation as a "player." If you don't know, then ask around a little, there will be one or two that have a reputation for going low in the local Pro Am's.



    Ask him for a playing lesson, 18 holes, and then tell him you want all your strokes, if he's a plus which he should be add them to your handicap and bet him a dollar nassau. Tell him that you want him to withhold his comments on your course management until after the round and go out and play him net.



    Best money you could spend if you want to get better at this game. He may not be a good teacher, and you may not want to take his swing advice or course management advice, but you should learn enough by just watching him take your local course apart to pay for the lesson.




    That, right there, is some of the best advice ever written on this forum.



    The journey has to start somewhere. And this is a great way to start that journey.




    Having played with Tour Pros to high level ams and everything in between them, this can NOT be any better advice.



    Seeing how somebody who is a great player gets around the course, manages their game and their misses, and just plain thinks while they are out playing, especially with something on the line (even if it's a small amount), will teach you more than you can ever learn from hitting balls.
    Titleist TS3 9.5* Mitsubishi Tensei White 70TX
    Titleist 917F3 15* Graphite Design AD-DI 7X black
    Titleist T-MB 2i Graphite Design AD-95X Utility/Driving iron
    Titleist 714 MB 4-9 True Temper TI X100 or Cally RazrX MB 4-9 True Temper TI X100
    Vokey SM7, 52.08, 56.10, 60.08 True Temper TI S400
    Byron DH89 or Piretti Proto

    The bag is always a work in progress.
  • Matt JMatt J Members Posts: 8,668 ✭✭
    A second best approach, and a budget approach, might be to read Ray Floyd's book on course management, The Elements of Scoring. It has been widely recommended on this forum and I am very grateful some of the members recommend it, as it has helped me tremendously.



    To improve we have to practice what we do poorly. Keeping our statistics and realizing our mistakes is the key to improving.



    Best wishes, fellas.
  • GolfChannelGolfChannel Orlando, FloridaMembers Posts: 1,643 ✭✭
    Matt J wrote:
    A second best approach, and a budget approach, might be to read Ray Floyd's book on course management, The Elements of Scoring. It has been widely recommended on this forum and I am very grateful some of the members recommend it, as it has helped me tremendously.



    To improve we have to practice what we do poorly. Keeping our statistics and realizing our mistakes is the key to improving.



    Best wishes, fellas.




    Just purchased from Amazon, thanks.
    Driver: He who shall not be named...
    3 Wood: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Blue Evenflow 75
    5 Wood: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Blue Evenflow 75
    Irons: Ping iBlade Nippon AWT 2.0 Stiff
    Wedges: Callaway MD3 50, 54, and Honma TW737 Forged 62
    Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
    Ball: Srixon Z-Star 2018 (Yellow)
  • jonnymc44jonnymc44 Manchester UKMembers Posts: 67 ✭✭

    Matt J wrote:
    A second best approach, and a budget approach, might be to read Ray Floyd's book on course management, The Elements of Scoring. It has been widely recommended on this forum and I am very grateful some of the members recommend it, as it has helped me tremendously.



    To improve we have to practice what we do poorly. Keeping our statistics and realizing our mistakes is the key to improving.



    Best wishes, fellas.




    Just purchased from Amazon, thanks.




    I've just picked up a used copy for £2 from Amazon. Wish me luck!

    Picked up a copy of From 60 Yards In: How to Master Golf's Short Game as well. Also £2!
  • BB28403BB28403 Members Posts: 3,139 ✭✭
    edited Mar 13, 2019 12:50pm #310
    CSkipR wrote:
    Over my working career I played with a number of PGA pros with our manufacturer partners. Retired in 06. David Toms, Scott Simpson, Anika Sorenson, Tom Shaw, Joe Durant, Tommy Jacobs, Loren Roberts, Fulton Allen, Chip Beck, J C Snead, Cathy Gehring, Frank Beard, Ralph Terry, Tom Lehman & David Frost

    All were enjoyable and pleasant to golf with. Played with Anika and David Toms a couple of times. Got my only hole in one with Cathy Gehring.




    What is Anika like? Impressive game? I have read vision 54 books and she is their model for the whole system.
  • I’ve played with myself so the answer is yes.
  • BNGLBNGL Members Posts: 1,561 ✭✭
    I’ve played with myself so the answer is yes.




    Because no one will play with you...lmfao





  • jambox107jambox107 Members Posts: 62 ✭✭
    I have and their shots just look and sound different from the low to mid handicapper. We can all hit good shots but the consistency a scratch has is impressive and lag putting. They miss too, but ability to recover and not try hero shots allows them to score.
  • BNGL said:
    I’ve played with myself so the answer is yes.




    Because no one will play with you...lmfao





    Hey now ! You’re welcome anytime you wanna drive out to Wellington ! 
  • mizuno playermizuno player Mizuno player Members Posts: 1,302 ✭✭

    I've been lucky to play with a few. One of.my best friends kids was a D1 SEC player. Played minis for awhile. Had/had the best looking swing. Couldn't make enough birdies. But wow his swing.
    Then in a local tournament played with a guy who a fee years later would win the US Senior Amateur. Just consistent.

  • SoloShot84SoloShot84 Members Posts: 320 ✭✭

    @Matt J said:
    Every time I see this thread pop up on my feed, I think.... "who hasn't played with a scratch ?!?"

    Honestly, not being snide at all, if you haven't and you can easily afford it and love this game, go out and hire a teaching pro in your region with the best reputation as a "player." If you don't know, then ask around a little, there will be one or two that have a reputation for going low in the local Pro Am's.

    Ask him for a playing lesson, 18 holes, and then tell him you want all your strokes, if he's a plus which he should be add them to your handicap and bet him a dollar nassau. Tell him that you want him to withhold his comments on your course management until after the round and go out and play him net.

    Best money you could spend if you want to get better at this game. He may not be a good teacher, and you may not want to take his swing advice or course management advice, but you should learn enough by just watching him take your local course apart to pay for the lesson.

    No offense but pure curiosity: how could this be different than watching pros shot by shot on TV/YouTube vs in-Person?
    Does this mean one can benefit from watching Pro's playing in person at PGA tournament?

  • 3jacker3jacker Members Posts: 997 ✭✭

    It's like the difference between actually having **** and watching it on the computer.
    Or maybe not. Forget I said that.

    Callaway XR16 SubZero Aldila Rogue I/O 70X
    TM V-Steel 4wd Protopype 80X
    Callaway UT 18* KBS C-Taper X
    Callaway Apex MB 4-PW KBS C-Taper X
    Cleveland 52*/58* CG10 KBS C-Taper X
    Sizemore XB-1
  • Matt JMatt J Members Posts: 8,668 ✭✭

    I'd say this ^^^^ is fair. Pros on tv are like cartoons playing on cartoon courses. They hit it 500 yards and the greens are like a baby's butt. Or not. Watching a human play great golf in person is inspiring.

    You wanna know the things pga pros do that impress me the most? Lag putt.

    99% of spectators are thinking "**** he missed." I'm thinking **** his speed is absolutely impeccable.

15678911»
Sign In or Register to comment.