New Odyssey Stroke Lab putters

Comments

• CDLgolfCDLgolf Members Posts: 834 ✭✭
    Whats the difference between the stroke lab oversize and the stroke lab pistol grip ?

Is the oversize non tapered ? Is the pistol standard or midsize ?
    Cobra F8
    Ping G25 3 wood
    Ping G25 20 & 23 hybrid G30 26 hybrid
    Ping i e1 6- uw
    Ping Tour Gorge 56 & 60
    Odyssey
  • Green in RegGreen in Reg Members Posts: 443 ✭✭
    Had a chance to roll these today... definitely pulling the trigger when they’re available. Insert felt awesome, balance was good, and I loved the grip!
    Taylormade M5 9*- Speeder Evo
    Taylormade M6D 16*- Accra
    Callaway Apex hybrid 19* 
    Taylormade P760 4-PW
    Titleist Vokey 50* 55* and 60*
    Spider X 33.5"
  • Scotty1140Scotty1140 Members Posts: 4,442 ✭✭

Had a chance to roll these today... definitely pulling the trigger when they’re available. Insert felt awesome, balance was good, and I loved the grip!

Was it the standard size grip of the larger?
  • TheMoneyShotTheMoneyShot ***FIGJAM/Twirl of Doom*** Members Posts: 30,472 ✭✭
    edited Feb 1, 2019 10:47pm #335
    Can you order one of these at 38 inches? I’ll make my own tank version.
  • Green in RegGreen in Reg Members Posts: 443 ✭✭
    Scotty1140 wrote:

Was it the standard size grip of the larger?

Larger midsize. It felt great to me. It’s probably about 1.20” in diameter and non taper.
    Taylormade M5 9*- Speeder Evo
    Taylormade M6D 16*- Accra
    Callaway Apex hybrid 19* 
    Taylormade P760 4-PW
    Titleist Vokey 50* 55* and 60*
    Spider X 33.5"
  • boycer11boycer11 ClubWRX Posts: 3,461 ClubWRX
    I thought that the grip was to big. They were ok. I will wait to try the exo and toulon versions.
    Ping G400 max tensei orange pro
    Callaway epic flash sz 3 wood
    Ping g400 5 wd rogue black 7s
    ping g410 tensei hybrid
    Epon 705 5-aw limited black kbs flt matte black/Callaway Apex 2019 combo
    miura limited black tour 2018 54/58
    taylormade jdm itsy bitsy spider
    ping hoofer
    tp5x
  • KonkliferKonklifer Thinkin' of a master plan... location, location.Members Posts: 7,810 ✭✭
    Are these in store today?
    PING G400 Max 10°
    PING G400 16.5°
    PING G400 hybrid 19°
    PING i25 hybrid 22°
    Callaway XHP 5-AW
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth, 54° SS, 58° ES
    Kevin Burns 9306
    Snell MTB Red Optic Yellow
  • boycer11boycer11 ClubWRX Posts: 3,461 ClubWRX
    Konklifer wrote:

Are these in store today?

Golf galaxy I went to had demo #7 and the anser style out to test.
    Ping G400 max tensei orange pro
    Callaway epic flash sz 3 wood
    Ping g400 5 wd rogue black 7s
    ping g410 tensei hybrid
    Epon 705 5-aw limited black kbs flt matte black/Callaway Apex 2019 combo
    miura limited black tour 2018 54/58
    taylormade jdm itsy bitsy spider
    ping hoofer
    tp5x
  • sandtrapsandtrap Members Posts: 820 ✭✭
    I think you can buy them on froday
  • mmowen01mmowen01 MichiganMembers Posts: 293 ✭✭
    I was in a store in today and they were putting the out on the shelf.
  • phil75070phil75070 Members Posts: 1,888 ✭✭
    The whole idea of the Stroke Lab technology is the balance, removing weight from the shaft and adding it back in at the head and grip end. Changing the weights in the head with a weight kit would alter that balance and defeat the purpose, wouldn't it?. The Stroke Lab putters feel different to me than any other putter, seemingly promoting a much smoother, more consistent stroke and I've used counter balanced weights in putters before. The #3, which has more toe hang than the #1, has been money for me.
  • Byrdman2230Byrdman2230 Members Posts: 308 ✭✭
    phil75070 wrote:
    The whole idea of the Stroke Lab technology is the balance, removing weight from the shaft and adding it back in at the head and grip end. Changing the weights in the head with a weight kit would alter that balance and defeat the purpose, wouldn't it?. The Stroke Lab putters feel different to me than any other putter, seemingly promoting a much smoother, more consistent stroke and I've used counter balanced weights in putters before. The #3, which has more toe hang than the #1, has been money for me.

To me, it seems like stroke lab is a modified counterbalance. The overall weight isn’t as heavy but it still retains the same principle.
  • double or triple?double or triple? Members Posts: 1,970 ✭✭

phil75070 wrote:

To me, it seems like stroke lab is a modified counterbalance. The overall weight isn’t as heavy but it still retains the same principle.

problem isn't really that it's a modified counterbalance but that's it not really a counter balance at all. The head weight doesn't change and the grip weight doesn't change. Both are set so that the overall putter is balanced, not lighter. With normal counter balance design, the goal is to make the product lighter for more material to be added in the head or at a shorter than normal length. The SL design stays the same at whatever length you play it at.
  • sbjinxsbjinx Orange CountyMembers Posts: 2,423 ✭✭
    I’m really looking forward to trying this out. 2 more sleeps right?

Callaway Epic SZ - Project X Smoke
    TM M2 15* - Diamana S Ltd
    Callaway Apex - 19*
    Bridgestone J15 - 4-PW
    Titleist SM7 - 52* & 58*
    Spider X

• OldboyOldboy Members Posts: 2,386 ✭✭
    Roger Dunn here in socal has them. Honestly I couldn’t notice a major difference that made me go wow with the shaft tech. But that was just a few putts. Ymmv
  • dmeeksDCdmeeksDC ClubWRX Posts: 2,193 ClubWRX

phil75070 wrote:

problem isn't really that it's a modified counterbalance but that's it not really a counter balance at all. The head weight doesn't change and the grip weight doesn't change. Both are set so that the overall putter is balanced, not lighter. With normal counter balance design, the goal is to make the product lighter for more material to be added in the head or at a shorter than normal length. The SL design stays the same at whatever length you play it at.

The Edel approach to counterbalancing is to make the overall build heavier with a heavier head, but then balance it out with a heavier grip plus another weight in the shaft under the bottom hand, to smooth out the stroke. Edel standard for that weight is 30 grams and up or down from there. The goal is to not make the putter feel head heavy or light, but balanced and smooth.

David Edel is a genius of the physics of putting and his fitting system is really cool. The Stroke Lab approach is essentially the same concept, only Odyssey reallocates weight from a redesigned, lighter shaft, while Edel uses standard putter shafts. I don’t know if the Stroke Lab shaft itself makes a difference, but I can say the balanced builds Edel does feel nice to putt with as I own an Edel wide blade. Mine is 375 gram head, 100 gram grip, 30 grams in the shaft. Puts a nice roll on the ball.
    Ping G400 9 degrees, Ping Tour stiff shaft, 65 grams
    Callaway XHot2 Pro 5 wood, 17 degrees, Aldila Tour Blue stiff shaft
    Titleist 915F fairway, 21 degrees, Diamana Blue 70 stiff
    Srixon 565 4 iron, Nippon 980GH stiff shaft
    Adams CMB irons, 5-PW, KBS C Taper regular shafts (110g)
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50 degree, F grind, Dynamic Gold S200 shaft
    Callaway Mack Daddy 2 54-degree wedge, S grind, DG wedge shaft
    Ben Hogan TK wedge, 59 degree, KBS black wedge shaft
    TaylorMade TP Chaska putter, sliver, 34 inches
  • hardcaliberhardcaliber Members Posts: 706 ✭✭
    edited Feb 6, 2019 7:36pm #348
    Had a chance to hit these today and sadly I wasn’t a fan. Whatever they are doing with the balance made the putter feel super head heavy in my hands, not a smooth stable feel to me.
  • BenzoBenzo Members Posts: 1,546 ✭✭
    I am excited to try the double wide, r ball, and trusty #7
    Titleist Ts2 10.5* GD DI 6x
    Titliest 915 5w 18* GD DI 7x
    Callaway Apex 23*h Oban Devotion 
    Callaway Apex 26*h GD DI 85x
    Srixon 785 6-PW Nippon 105 Modus
    Titleist SM7 50*, 54*, 58* Nippon 115 Modus 
    Odyssey #7 Plumber Neck 
    2018 Taylormade tp5

https://www.instagram.com/benzoducky/ 

edited Feb 6, 2019 11:36pm #350
    I had a chance to roll them today and really liked the balance of the putter. I would say there is a huge difference in feel between the standard pistol and the larger size grip. With the larger grip the balance of the putter feels mostly in your hands, similar to using a counterbalanced putter, which I’m not a fan of. With a standard grip I could feel the head more and the overall club felt more balanced out between the head and grip. I’m going to sleep on it but I’ll prob pick up the turtle or #1.

Callaway Apex - 19*
    Bridgestone J15 - 4-PW
    Titleist SM7 - 52* & 58*
    Spider X

• Scotty1140Scotty1140 Members Posts: 4,442 ✭✭
    I love the feel of these. Nice click to it.

The weighting is nice it doesn’t feel any different than a steel shaft with a weight in grip end to me.

I hated the stock oversize grip. I’m not a fan of Winn grips or grips if that style in general. The “stroke lab” label on the top of the grip is smooth while the rest of the grip has a texture to it. The contrast was a bit distracting. And the massive “Odyssey” lettering was a bit obnoxious looking.

Headcover is nice. Overall very nice release.
  • MaximilianMaximilian Members Posts: 1,372 ✭✭
    They should just rename it to Turtle. Everyone's calling it Turtle anyways, would just be less confusing.
  • KonkliferKonklifer Thinkin' of a master plan... location, location.Members Posts: 7,810 ✭✭
    Maximilian wrote:

They should just rename it to Turtle. Everyone's calling it Turtle anyways, would just be less confusing.

Beat me to it.
    PING G400 Max 10°
    PING G400 16.5°
    PING G400 hybrid 19°
    PING i25 hybrid 22°
    Callaway XHP 5-AW
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth, 54° SS, 58° ES
    Kevin Burns 9306
    Snell MTB Red Optic Yellow
  • Long ShotLong Shot Members Posts: 505 ✭✭
    Received my V-Line CS a few days ago, and I have had the chance to use it on our winter greens here in NY. I usually play a mid-size grip (Matador Medium on my Cameron Select 2.6 CS, and a mid-size on my O-works 2M CS). I like the Stroke Lab oversized grip. Feels like they got it right. Over Feel of the face is slightly softer than the O-works, but I didn't notice any difference in the roll (both get the ball rolling nicely). The true test will be next week when I get down to Florida and get several rounds in the books.

I include some pics and a ruler for reference, I think some were asking about the size of the grip.

• t4t3rt4t3r Members Posts: 2,700 ✭✭
    edited Feb 7, 2019 2:34pm #355
    The two-tone of the V-Line is nice, kind of a cleaner and more sophisticated looking versa.

Those weights are straight off a set of BBS CH. Love those wheels just not a fan of them on a putter. At least it’s the bottom which you never really see.
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ Triple Diamond 10.5* - Aldila Rogue Black 110MSI 60TX
    Callaway Alpha 816 DBD 14* - Diamana D+ 70x
    Titleist 913H 21* - Matrix Altus X
    Callaway 2013 X-Forged 5-PW - Nippon Modus 130
    Titleist Vokey SM7 Raw 52.08F
    Titleist Vokey SM6 Raw 56.08M
    Callaway MD4 Raw 60.08C
    Taylormade Spider X
  • jah7838jah7838 Members Posts: 1,032 ✭✭
    I tried the #1 and the #7 at my local Golf Galaxy, and I liked the feel of the mallet more. Didn't like the balance of the #1 at all. Won't be switching to it. I'm waiting to see how the new Toulon putters feel.
    WITB
    Driver: 9.5* M3 Attas Elements MK 7s
    Fairway: Cobra F6 Baffler set to 16* with Nventix Nunchuk
    Hybrids: 19* Adams XTD Super Hybrid Black Tie 95g S / 18.5* RBZ Stage 2 S300, 23* Adams Super 9031 S300
    Irons: 5-PW Fly Z+ DGTI S400
    Wedges: 50*& 54* TM Milled Grind Standard Bounce, 58* Mid RTX 4. All wedges have DGTI S400
    Putter: Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can Finish
  • Sean289Sean289 Members Posts: 902 ✭✭

Had a chance to hit these today and sadly I wasn’t a fan. Whatever they are doing with the balance made the putter feel super head heavy in my hands, not a smooth stable feel to me.

I will keep an open mind but I believe that I will feel the same way about this line after I have rolled them.
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Driver: PING G400 Max[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]3 Wood: PING G30[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]5 Wood: PING G30[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]3 Hybrid: Taylormade M3[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]4-9: PING G Series[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]PW: Titleist Vokey SM5 48[/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]SW: Titleist Vokey SM5 52[/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]LW: Titleist Vokey SM5 60[/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Putter: PING Anser Tr 1966[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Ball: Titleist ProV1x[/font]
  • Radeon962Radeon962 ClubWRX Posts: 1,937 ClubWRX
    Tried the double wide and V-line at Carl's today on my way home. Felt very nice but I would prefer a White Hot Pro face.

Balance and overall feel was excellent and grip was fine even though I have been using a Flatso for the past 2 seasons
  • dmeeksDCdmeeksDC ClubWRX Posts: 2,193 ClubWRX
    Rolled these today. Really like the heads and the face. With the oversized Odyssey grip, the putter felt too light to me. I did not care for that. I think I may like the head but not the stroke lab part of it. A different grip may help the balance. I thought it was too much in the hands with the big Steelers/Hawkeyes massive yellow and black coloring.
    Ping G400 9 degrees, Ping Tour stiff shaft, 65 grams
    Callaway XHot2 Pro 5 wood, 17 degrees, Aldila Tour Blue stiff shaft
    Titleist 915F fairway, 21 degrees, Diamana Blue 70 stiff
    Srixon 565 4 iron, Nippon 980GH stiff shaft
    Adams CMB irons, 5-PW, KBS C Taper regular shafts (110g)
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50 degree, F grind, Dynamic Gold S200 shaft
    Callaway Mack Daddy 2 54-degree wedge, S grind, DG wedge shaft
    Ben Hogan TK wedge, 59 degree, KBS black wedge shaft
    TaylorMade TP Chaska putter, sliver, 34 inches
    dmeeksDC wrote:

Rolled these today. Really like the heads and the face. With the oversized Odyssey grip, the putter felt too light to me. I did not care for that. I think I may like the head but not the stroke lab part of it. A different grip may help the balance. I thought it was too much in the hands with the big Steelers/Hawkeyes massive yellow and black coloring.

Try it with the std pistol. It’s still an ugly grip but when I tried both grips i felt the balance was way better with the std size.

Callaway Apex - 19*
    Bridgestone J15 - 4-PW
    Titleist SM7 - 52* & 58*
    Spider X

• lspky_muskielspky_muskie Members Posts: 903 ✭✭
    I really really liked these today. Marksman was my favorite. Held off on buying because they didn’t have the 7 yet.