Cobra's new King F9 Speedback Driver, Woods, Hybrids and Irons (NO BUY SELL TRADE POSTS)

Comments

• ian-500ian-500 Members Posts: 698 ✭✭

@KGilma said:
    Man, find the right shaft for this head and it is unbelievably accurate and long. Of course, the perfect one for me after trying 15 different shafts, would be a $400 Tensei CK Pro Orange. The results compared to the others just wasn't even remotely close. Longer carry, way less spin, higher smash factor, higher ball speed. The fitter wasn't even going to show it to me, because he didn't think I could swing it. I guess I fit myself, then lol. Have keep an eye out of BST for a used one, now.

For a cheaper alternative and a similar counter balanced design, try a Fujikura Speeder Pro xlr8. I'm testing a 63 Tour-X and it is accurate and very long. My Tour AD IZ gamer might be replaced....

Cobra F9 7.5* + Fuji Speeder Pro XLR8 63tx.
    Taylormade R15 12* + Diamana R80x.
    Adams XTD 19* + Matrix White Tie x.
    Adams Pro 23 Tour Issue + Tour AD UT95x
    Adams DHY Pro 27 + Irod 105x.
    Adams XTD Forged Tour Issue 6i - GW + Recoil Prototype 125F5.
    Adams XTD Forged SW/LW + KBS Hi-Rev x.
    SeeMore SB1, Accra FX300, Garsen.
  • KGilmaKGilma Members Posts: 144 ✭✭

@ian-500 said:

@KGilma said:
    Man, find the right shaft for this head and it is unbelievably accurate and long. Of course, the perfect one for me after trying 15 different shafts, would be a $400 Tensei CK Pro Orange. The results compared to the others just wasn't even remotely close. Longer carry, way less spin, higher smash factor, higher ball speed. The fitter wasn't even going to show it to me, because he didn't think I could swing it. I guess I fit myself, then lol. Have keep an eye out of BST for a used one, now.

For a cheaper alternative and a similar counter balanced design, try a Fujikura Speeder Pro xlr8. I'm testing a 63 Tour-X and it is accurate and very long. My Tour AD IZ gamer might be replaced....

That was one that I tried last night also, as well as the Tour AD IZ. I personally didn't care for the Speeder. The tour AD IZ came in a distant 4th behind the Ventus 5s, and the Accra TZ5 55 M4. I really liked the Accra and could easily game that shaft, If the PO numbers weren't so far better, I would be looking for that shaft, right now. Still might, too.

Cobra King F9 9* 
    Cobra King F9 3w 14.5*
    Cobra King F6 Baffler 5w 17.5*
    Cobra King Utility 3/4 21*
    Cobra King F6 irons 5-GW
    Titleist Vokey SM7 56*
    Scotty Newport 2
  • ian-500ian-500 Members Posts: 698 ✭✭

That was one that I tried last night also, as well as the Tour AD IZ. I personally didn't care for the Speeder. The tour AD IZ came in a distant 4th behind the Ventus 5s, and the Accra TZ5 55 M4. I really liked the Accra and could easily game that shaft, If the PO numbers weren't so far better, I would be looking for that shaft, right now. Still might, too.

You tried a Fuji Speeder Pro xlr8 at a fitters? Didn't think these would still be available as they're discontinued....

Cobra F9 7.5* + Fuji Speeder Pro XLR8 63tx.
    Taylormade R15 12* + Diamana R80x.
    Adams XTD 19* + Matrix White Tie x.
    Adams Pro 23 Tour Issue + Tour AD UT95x
    Adams DHY Pro 27 + Irod 105x.
    Adams XTD Forged Tour Issue 6i - GW + Recoil Prototype 125F5.
    Adams XTD Forged SW/LW + KBS Hi-Rev x.
    SeeMore SB1, Accra FX300, Garsen.
  • KGilmaKGilma Members Posts: 144 ✭✭

@ian-500 said:

You tried a Fuji Speeder Pro xlr8 at a fitters? Didn't think these would still be available as they're discontinued....

No, you're right I didn't, I read it quickly and just saw the Fuji speeder. It was a Fuji speeder TR.

Cobra King F9 9* 
    Cobra King F9 3w 14.5*
    Cobra King F6 Baffler 5w 17.5*
    Cobra King Utility 3/4 21*
    Cobra King F6 irons 5-GW
    Titleist Vokey SM7 56*
    Scotty Newport 2
  • nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user FloridaMembers Posts: 5,582 ✭✭

@mulliganman30 said:
    Anyone know where to see official driver sales for 2019? I'm only asking because I got an email from Discount Dan's saying the F9 is the top selling driver of 2019 but I haven't seen any sales figures anywhere...

THE top selling driver or A top selling driver ( i.e. Just another advertising email) ?

I ask because just the other day I asked one of the salesmen at the PGATSS by me and he said "Epic Flas" by a long shot, TM M5/M6 2nd, followed by Titleist and then Ping (Ping being released much later than the others). Cobra F9 ? Not a blip on the radar.

Based on what I've seen on their racks since the New Year, sounds about right to me. They only ever had about a dozen F9s at the same time. The others ? Dozens and dozens of them.

Please don't shoot the messenger. LOL

Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X Hzrdus Yellow 63 gr, 6.0
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, 20*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300
    Cleveland RTX-4 48, 52, DGS300
    Ping Glide Forged 56* DGS300
    Cleveland RTX-3, 64 DGS300

Evnroll 1.2 (Today - always subject to change LOL)
    Titleist AVX
  • Krt22Krt22 Members Posts: 6,433 ✭✭

This is what is in the email from DD

"COBRA F9 SPEEDBACK DRIVER
    TOP SELLING DRIVER OF 2019
    ALL CUSTOM OPTIONS AVAILABLE!"

I bet they are speaking about just their sales

• GT7212GT7212 Members Posts: 343 ✭✭

Flowerband whiteboard 73x in my F9 has been heavenly fairways. The OG triple OG whiteboard continues to deliver

[font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Yonex 380 VA RaiJin
    U65 18* VA RaiJin
    [/font]

Don White 4-W TI S400
    Jeff McCoy 52 58
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]TeI3 Newport 2 [/font]
  • GT7212GT7212 Members Posts: 343 ✭✭

HC HZRDUS black and HC HZRDUS yellow soon to be on the market

[font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Yonex 380 VA RaiJin
    U65 18* VA RaiJin
    [/font]

Don White 4-W TI S400
    Jeff McCoy 52 58
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]TeI3 Newport 2 [/font]
  • WarrickWarrick ClubWRX Posts: 10,327 ClubWRX

Sorted out a set up flaw with the driver today, F9 is back, and loving it with the Atmos 7s, Tour 3/5 also, done tinkering for the spring

TM Mini 11.5 Smoke 70
    F9 Tour 3w\13.5 - Smoke 70
    F9 Tour 5w\17.5- Smoke 70
    Epic hybrid - 22* Pro White 90
    Mizuno 919 combo 5-P - PX LZ 6.0
    Mizuno T7 - 48-53-58 - PX LZ 6.5
    Custom V-Line Fang
    TM TP5X
  • mulliganman30mulliganman30 Members Posts: 1,060 ✭✭

@Krt22 said:

@Krt22 said:

I sure read it like ALL driver sales, not just theirs..

• balls_deepballs_deep Members Posts: 551 ✭✭

@Warrick said:
    Sorted out a set up flaw with the driver today, F9 is back, and loving it with the Atmos 7s, Tour 3/5 also, done tinkering for the spring

What was it? I find I heel this driver when my usual miss was out the toe. Centre contact just fires missiles though. I can't believe how much distance I've picked up over my old stick. Just working out the kinks but I'm in love.

Cobra F9 Speedback 9° Tour Spec Atmos Black 6x
    Titleist 917F2 15.75° Aldila Rogue Black 70s
    Titleist 816H1 20° & 23° Accra FX200H M4
    Titleist 716 T-MB 4-5 (.5 long 2 flat) Modus 120x
    Titleist 716 CB 6-PW (.5 long 2 flat) Modus 120x
    Vokey SM7 50F 54S 58D S200
    Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 350g 34.5"
    Pro V1x

Currently - 8.7
  • Krt22Krt22 Members Posts: 6,433 ✭✭

@mulliganman30 said:

@Krt22 said:

@Krt22 said:

How would Discount Dans have access to the internal sales numbers of the major OEMs and all other retailers? They wouldn't...

• WarrickWarrick ClubWRX Posts: 10,327 ClubWRX

@balls_deep said:

@Warrick said:

What was it? I find I heel this driver when my usual miss was out the toe. Centre contact just fires missiles though. I can't believe how much distance I've picked up over my old stick. Just working out the kinks but I'm in love.

Had my front shoulder way open, and was swaying as opposed to turning. I closed it up, forces me to make an actual turn. It’s only been the driver this spring. Played 36 yesterday, not difficult courses, but 76-74

TM Mini 11.5 Smoke 70
    F9 Tour 3w\13.5 - Smoke 70
    F9 Tour 5w\17.5- Smoke 70
    Epic hybrid - 22* Pro White 90
    Mizuno 919 combo 5-P - PX LZ 6.0
    Mizuno T7 - 48-53-58 - PX LZ 6.5
    Custom V-Line Fang
    TM TP5X
  • balls_deepballs_deep Members Posts: 551 ✭✭

@Warrick said:

@balls_deep said:

@Warrick said:

Had my front shoulder way open, and was swaying as opposed to turning. I closed it up, forces me to make an actual turn. It’s only been the driver this spring. Played 36 yesterday, not difficult courses, but 76-74

That sounds a lot like me. Thanks. Playing the next few days hopefully I can get it all working.

Cobra F9 Speedback 9° Tour Spec Atmos Black 6x
    Titleist 917F2 15.75° Aldila Rogue Black 70s
    Titleist 816H1 20° & 23° Accra FX200H M4
    Titleist 716 T-MB 4-5 (.5 long 2 flat) Modus 120x
    Titleist 716 CB 6-PW (.5 long 2 flat) Modus 120x
    Vokey SM7 50F 54S 58D S200
    Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 350g 34.5"
    Pro V1x

Currently - 8.7
  • Lord HelmetLord Helmet Members Posts: 8,681 ✭✭

@Warrick said:

@balls_deep said:

@Warrick said:

Had my front shoulder way open, and was swaying as opposed to turning. I closed it up, forces me to make an actual turn. It’s only been the driver this spring.

Im so fighting that right now too.

Cobra F9 - Atmos TS Black 6x
    Cobra F9 3w - Atmos TS Blue 7x
    718 TMB 19* - DG AMT White s300
    Srixon 565/765 Combo 5-PW - Project X 5.5hs
    SM5 50,54,58,62 - F,K,S Grinds - Rifle 6.0
    Bettinardi Inovai 3.0 CS
    Pro V1x

@Krt22 said:

@mulliganman30 said:

@Krt22 said:

@Krt22 said:

How would Discount Dans have access to the internal sales numbers of the major OEMs and all other retailers? They wouldn't...

I don't know. I'm simply saying how I read their email.

• gioguy21gioguy21 NJMembers Posts: 7,354 ✭✭

@GT7212 said:
    Flowerband whiteboard 73x in my F9 has been heavenly fairways. The OG triple OG whiteboard continues to deliver

they're still some of the best shafts you can buy (if you can find them) -- flowerband blueboards and whiteboards are just...primo.

Epic Flash SZ / 9* / DRIVER SHAFT TBD
    Epic Flash SZ / 3+ / DF 70TX tipped 1.50"
    Epic Flash / 5 / BF 90TX Tipped 1.75"
    785 / 3-PW / PX 7.0
    RTX4 / 52, 59 / DG S400
    SC Kombi-s / 35.5"

• JonnyKrasnodarJonnyKrasnodar Members Posts: 1,825 ✭✭

Well after FINALLY deciding on a replacement for my ST180 fairway, three weeks after placing the order Cobra have been in touch to say that the 3 wood head and Evenflow shaft won't be back in stock until July!?
    So...do I wait or do I go with the M6 or ST190 instead?!

• rjr25rjr25 Members Posts: 254 ✭✭

Couple rounds in on the season now and I must say I am pretty happy. I was hitting it pretty poorly on the indoor sims to end my winter season, but its been all good outside. I have the 9 degree with the Atmos Black 6s. Little light compared to my LTD so I have 7 grams of lead tape added (I like a heavier driver, also I feel like I am loading the shaft better now with the weight). So far my distance seems to be on par with normal but the kicker is its very wet here in the north east and I am not getting any roll, so should be longer once it dries up. My dispersion has been great, fairways or just a few feet off. Playing it with a nice fade, which is my preferred flight off the tee. Very excited for the season with the driver.

My 2019 Experiment
    Cobra F9 - 9 degree - Atmos Black TS 6S
    Cobra F6 Baffler 17.5
    Cobra F8 Hybrid 19
    Cobra King Utility Black OL 21
    Cobra F7 OL 5&6
    Cobra Forged Tec Black 7-GW
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54SS & 58ES
    TaylorMade TP Black Copper Ardmore 3 - 34
  • jabwind51jabwind51 Members Posts: 142 ✭✭

I wanna rehash the higher spin part of this thread. Is anyone still seeing a little more spin than expected? For me the driver is great and I have a very tip stiff shaft and +AOA but noticing it going far but sort of floating down at the end of the flight and not getting too much roll. Probably about 3000rpms based on my launch monitor experience. Can’t seem to get that elusive 2200-2500 ideal number (if that really is true)

Have driver with 18/6, 44.25 length, Atmos 7X TX black tipped one inch and been slowing the swing down to about 115mph but good tempo

Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

• Hookasaurus RexHookasaurus Rex Purveyor of fine turf Members Posts: 1,062 ✭✭
    edited May 18, 2019 2:51pm #2632

@jabwind51 said:
    I wanna rehash the higher spin part of this thread. Is anyone still seeing a little more spin than expected? For me the driver is great and I have a very tip stiff shaft and +AOA but noticing it going far but sort of floating down at the end of the flight and not getting too much roll. Probably about 3000rpms based on my launch monitor experience. Can’t seem to get that elusive 2200-2500 ideal number (if that really is true)

Have driver with 18/6, 44.25 length, Atmos 7X TX black tipped one inch and been slowing the swing down to about 115mph but good tempo

What loft are you set at? I’m at 8* with 10/14, pro orange 60tx, and 44.75. I might see a high spin ball on a gross mis hit, but for the most part, my drives are running out a lot. I’m getting a mid flight, with what appears to be pretty low spin. Given what I’m seeing on the course, I’d guess my swing speed is in the 108-112 range. I’d bet my good drives are carrying 270ish, but I’m seeing a fair amount of drives end up in 290-300 total distance range, so I’m getting run out. Also seeing a pretty shallow landing angle, which is nice, because I play in a lot of wind. I noticed dropping the loft to 8* had a much more pronounced effect on limiting spin then having the weight forward. The best of both worlds for me is heavy weight back and low loft. It’s a great combo, especially if a good launch window can be attained at 7.5-8* of loft...

Cobra King F9 Avalanche 9* Tensei CK Pro Orange 60TX
    Cobra King LTD 3-4w Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.0
    Titleist 913h 19* Aldila Tour Green 85hs
    Cobra Forged Tec Black 4-GW Nippon Modus 3 105x
    Cobra King Black 54*, 58* Modus Wedge 115
    PXG Bat Attack 35” 400g

@Hookasaurus Rex said:

@jabwind51 said:

What loft are you set at? I’m at 8* with 10/14, pro orange 60tx, and 44.75. I might see a high spin ball on a gross mis hit, but for the most part, my drives are running out a lot. I’m getting a mid flight, with what appears to be pretty low spin. Given what I’m seeing on the course, I’d guess my swing speed is in the 108-112 range. I’d bet my good drives are carrying 270ish, but I’m seeing a fair amount of drives end up in 290-300 total distance range, so I’m getting run out. Also seeing a pretty shallow landing angle, which is nice, because I play in a lot of wind. I noticed dropping the loft to 8* had a much more pronounced effect on limiting spin then having the weight forward. The best of both worlds for me is heavy weight back and low loft. It’s a great combo, especially if a good launch window can be attained at 7.5-8* of loft...

Interesting. Thanks for the info. I’ll try today turning down the loft to 8-9. I had it at 7 degrees when I was swinging 120+ and cranked it to 10 degree draw setting the last few weeks with a slow swing. Typically I see about a 280 carry with a slower more controlled swing. Trying to hit fairways at 60-70% speed.

👍

@jabwind51 said:

Most reviews I have seen I believe it was 200 rpms higher or so. I think that even showed up on the spy reports.

• molecularmanmolecularman Joplin, MOMembers Posts: 46 ✭✭

Got to try the F9 - I was not swinging well, but not hitting my current driver too bad. The F9 was snap hook city. Between the small grip, the heavier weight being in the back (according to Cobra that makes if more draw biased) and the face not being open.. I was pull hooking everything. Just no forgiveness at all for me. I didn't see any numbers, so I have no clue if it was better in terms of distance. Super disappointing - hopefully I can try it again with a better swing and more adjustments.

• calfan36calfan36 Members Posts: 152 ✭✭

I haven't read thru the entire thread, but I'm interested in people who switched from King LTD. I get great numbers with it, is the F9 an improvement in any way?

• DatSliceDoeDatSliceDoe Camerons & Cobras One fairway overMembers Posts: 2,233 ✭✭
    edited May 18, 2019 5:47pm #2637

@calfan36 said:
    I haven't read thru the entire thread, but I'm interested in people who switched from King LTD. I get great numbers with it, is the F9 an improvement in any way?

For me, I should never have played the LTD with a HZRDUS Red 6.0. At least that's according to a fitting I just got back from for the F9. +20 yards on F9 at 13* with the Atmos black 6S. I need loft. And a swing change.

• FredWombleFredWomble Members Posts: 504 ✭✭
    edited May 18, 2019 6:26pm #2638

I picked up the F9 avalanche 9 with stock Fuji Atmos 6s, first full round today. Set at +1.5 with 14g weight front and 2g back. The F8+ with Even Flow blue 5.5 has been the best and longest driver I've played, as the King LTD was before it... with that said, all I can say is WOW. F9 is a monster, lol. I crushed it today, medium ball flight with roll, roll, roll (granted, fairways were short grass and dry). At least 3 drives my swing felt like crap on the downswing, you know the feeling when you just know it's going to be a bad tee ball. Each one, though, was mashed. The feel, sound and results are clear. On a good day, I might pound one 260. Today I had one 300+ (never happens), 4 275-285 and the rest were 250-65. This combo is a magic match for me.

Cobra F9 9, Fujikura Atmos 6s
    Cobra F8 with Aldila NV Blue 70 S
    Cobra King Utility 20.5 Elements Chrome S 20.5
    Mizuno MMC Fli-Hi 5-6, MMC 7-P Aerotech Steelfiber i80 S
    Scratch 1018 KBS 53 and 56
    Nike Engage Toe Sweep 60
    Yes! Mollie, Nicky 

• DandyDonDandyDon Members Posts: 196 ✭✭

I have been very happy with the F9 driver, playing it at 9 degrees with the Tensei Blue shaft, cut down a half inch...I thought I might lose a bit of distance since it is cut a half inch, but it certainly does not appear to be the case...I have always played a 10.5 degree driver, but the 9 degree driver gives me plenty of elevation....

@jabwind51 said:

@Hookasaurus Rex said:

@jabwind51 said:

Interesting. Thanks for the info. I’ll try today turning down the loft to 8-9. I had it at 7 degrees when I was swinging 120+ and cranked it to 10 degree draw setting the last few weeks with a slow swing. Typically I see about a 280 carry with a slower more controlled swing. Trying to hit fairways at 60-70% speed.

👍

Tried 9 degrees and draw setting and much better. Granted, I have a two way miss and the driver has been the momentum killer in many of my good rounds since always but impressive distance on off center...and there is no driver out there in 2019 that feels as good as this one on dead sweet spot strikes...and I’ve tried them all

Poked a couple over 310-315 with some solid roll but flight was nice and mid height. Have to say 8 degrees may be even better but I worry since I’m So inconsistent that 9 should be OK for now.

I’m going to be 1. Getting more lessons 2. Comparing this in the exact shaft setup in a M5 and will report back.

• DatSliceDoeDatSliceDoe Camerons & Cobras One fairway overMembers Posts: 2,233 ✭✭

Looks like the Atmos TS Black 6 in stiff is not an option to order? I was just fit into that today, anything close or should I spring for the X flex? Or look into an alternate shaft (100 SS, inefficient strikes).