Driver Thoughts - Callaway Epic Flash vs. Cobra F9

123457»

Comments

• DrSchteeveDrSchteeve Scottsdale, AZMembers Posts: 3,451 ✭✭
    edited Jun 16, 2019 8:54pm #182

Took the F9 straight to the course, never hit it before, and it was as long (or longer) as original Epic and much more consistent. Did not get along with the Flash with Evenflow blue shaft, but that was probably the shaft.

Honma TW737 460 10.5* Vizard Type Z 50 regular
    Honma TW737 13*  Vizard Type A 50 stiff
    Cobra F9 2 hybrids 17*, 21*, 24* Atmos regular
    Titleist 818 H1 27* set to 28* upright 1* Red Tie HQ3
    Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos regular
    Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
    TM Spider Tour Day
    OUUL stand bag
    Titleist Velocity or Bridgestone E12
  • gioguy21gioguy21 NJMembers Posts: 7,714 ✭✭

had both and after extensive play -- it's the epic flash sz, bar none, hands down, etc.

Epic Flash SZ / 9* (set N/S) / Fuji Pro 2.0 TS 6X tipped 1.25"
    Epic Flash SZ / 3+ (set -1/N) / HZRDUS Smoke Black 75g 6.5 tipped 2"
    Epic Flash / 5 (set N/S) / BF 90TX Tipped 1.75"
    718 T-MB 2I / PX Flighted 7.0
    785 / 3-PW / PX 7.0
    RTX4 / 52, 59 / DG S400
    Piretti Tour 801R / 35.5"

• KmacKmac Members Posts: 742 ✭✭

Same for me - F9 had a month or so and then went to the EFSZ and its still in the bag. I could not get the consistency and dispersion like I am from the EFSZ from the F9.

• MobMob Just Another Lefty Members Posts: 3,484 ✭✭

I played 27 yesterday, 18 with the EFSZ and 9 with the F9. I was swinging pretty well yesterday and had a good round. I hit a bunch of fairways with the EFSZ, so I thought the F9 was on it's way out. I then hit 6/7 fairways with the F9 as well. Dispersion was slightly better yesterday with the F9, but the EFSZ has had better dispersion over the past few weeks. Distance was a wash, but sound and feel go to the F9. My impression is that every company makes a good driver these days, and they are all fairly comparable in results. One head may suit someone better than another and brand loyalists should be comfortable knowing that they are all pretty similar in performance. I was leaning towards the EFSZ until playing the F9 yesterday afternoon; now I am back at square one in trying to decide which one to game. Very hard to figure out considering how much rain we have gotten here in the midwest over the past 2 months.

Epic Flash Subzero with Tensei Pro Orange 60S shaft vs. Cobra F9 Tour length with Tensei Pro Orange 60S shaft
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 degree with GD Tour AD IZ 75 stiff
    Callaway Rogue 2 and 4 hybrid with GD Tour AD IZ 85 stiff hybrid shaft
    TM P790 5-A with Fujikura Pro 95i shaft stiff tour spec
    Callaway Forged 56 degree wedge and PM19 62 degree wedge
    TM Spider X Navy Blue 35 inch with white racing stripe
  • KmacKmac Members Posts: 742 ✭✭

@Mob said:
    I played 27 yesterday, 18 with the EFSZ and 9 with the F9. I was swinging pretty well yesterday and had a good round. I hit a bunch of fairways with the EFSZ, so I thought the F9 was on it's way out. I then hit 6/7 fairways with the F9 as well. Dispersion was slightly better yesterday with the F9, but the EFSZ has had better dispersion over the past few weeks. Distance was a wash, but sound and feel go to the F9. My impression is that every company makes a good driver these days, and they are all fairly comparable in results. One head may suit someone better than another and brand loyalists should be comfortable knowing that they are all pretty similar in performance. I was leaning towards the EFSZ until playing the F9 yesterday afternoon; now I am back at square one in trying to decide which one to game. Very hard to figure out considering how much rain we have gotten here in the midwest over the past 2 months.

I was sort of in the same boat but it seemed the more I played the EFSZ the better it got and the more confident I swung it. Its like you just have to commit to one and sell the other one. LOL @ commit here on WRX, huh? I'm as guilty as anyone. But I sold my F9 and have been hitting the EFSZ great, so no regrets. I also agree that ALL of the new drivers are **** good. Pretty sure I could make just about all of them work for me outside of Ping drivers which I just never get along with.

• jjfcpajjfcpa Driver - Tour Edge EXS 10.5 Omaha, NEMembers Posts: 428 ✭✭

I read somewhere that the EFSZ is better suited to slower swing speeds? I'm probably under 100 so just wondering if that's the one I should get fitted for?

• woods991woods991 believelandClubWRX Posts: 2,384 ✭✭

@jjfcpa said:
    I read somewhere that the EFSZ is better suited to slower swing speeds? I'm probably under 100 so just wondering if that's the one I should get fitted

It all depends on your spin, the only real difference between the non SZ and the SZ are the spin rates. You will see both are being played on the tours (the non SZ just won the LPGA US Open) so it all comes down to your swing. I would hit both of them and see where your numbers fall. Lastly, it also depends on what shaft you get fitted for. For me I liked the non SZ with a project x HC Red and had better numbers than the SZ and my swing speed was at 102 (on average).

Signature of Solon CC
    Ping G400 max 10.5 TPT 16/ LKP / MT / SW 45”
    Titleist TS2 15* Diamana RF 70s 43”
    Titleist 917 f2 18* Diamana  Thump 70s
    Titleist 718 Ap2 5~PW Steelfiber i80s 
    Bridgestone Tour B X Hi 4 iron KBS Tour Hybrid Prototype 85s
    Taylormade 50*, 55*, 60* Milled Grind Wedge Tour Only Nippon NS Pro WV 125S
    Evnroll ER9 Superstroke ultra slim 1.0p 33”
  • MobMob Just Another Lefty Members Posts: 3,484 ✭✭

I've been playing the F9 for the past few weeks and really liking it. I find it to be fade biased, and it has taken the right side out of play for me (I am left handed). It feels great when I hit the sweet spot, but unfortunately, I seem to catch it low on the face more than I would like. My only complaint of this driver, would be that the "playable" face seems to be small, and it would be perfect if the face was little deeper/taller. It is staying in the bag for now, but the EFSZ has performed quite well also, and could easily come back out from time to time.

Epic Flash Subzero with Tensei Pro Orange 60S shaft vs. Cobra F9 Tour length with Tensei Pro Orange 60S shaft
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 degree with GD Tour AD IZ 75 stiff
    Callaway Rogue 2 and 4 hybrid with GD Tour AD IZ 85 stiff hybrid shaft
    TM P790 5-A with Fujikura Pro 95i shaft stiff tour spec
    Callaway Forged 56 degree wedge and PM19 62 degree wedge
    TM Spider X Navy Blue 35 inch with white racing stripe
  • JustsomeguyJustsomeguy Members Posts: 1,121 ✭✭

@Mob said:
    I've been playing the F9 for the past few weeks and really liking it. I find it to be fade biased, and it has taken the right side out of play for me (I am left handed). It feels great when I hit the sweet spot, but unfortunately, I seem to catch it low on the face more than I would like. My only complaint of this driver, would be that the "playable" face seems to be small, and it would be perfect if the face was little deeper/taller. It is staying in the bag for now, but the EFSZ has performed quite well also, and could easily come back out from time to time.

I've found the need to tee it up just a **** higher than expected. Maybe something about the aero makes it rise through swing and catch low? Maybe something in the design.
    Love this driver.

Cobra F9 10.5* Project X Evenflow Blue 65 R - CAMO!
    Cobra F9 15* 5w Project X Evenflow Blue 65 R
    Titleist 915H 20* Diamana S+ Blue 70, R
    Titleist 716 AP1 4-W52, Kuro Kage Tini 65, S
    Cleveland CBX, 56*/12, Rotex Graphite Wedge Flex
    Cleveland Smart Square Blade
  • dlygrissedlygrisse KansasMembers Posts: 13,328 ✭✭

@NoFancyUsername. said:
    There is plenty on Youtube in regards to Driver A vs Driver B.

At the end of the day it has to suit your eye, and have the right shaft in it.

That and the cog needs to suit your style. The Cobra is more of a low forward cog, the Epic is a bit higher and farther back. Ping drivers tend to be higher and really far back. The epic sub zero will be closer to the Cobra, all great clubs but they all work different.

Ping G400
    Callaway Epic Flash 3w, Ping G410 7 wood
    Ping G 4-U
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54, Vokey M Grind 58
    Grips NDMC +4
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Jones Utility
    ProV1x
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3