Driver Thoughts - Callaway Epic Flash vs. Cobra F9

123457»
7

Comments

  • DrSchteeveDrSchteeve Scottsdale, AZ 3575WRX Points: 272Handicap: 8 from 6000 and 13 from 6500 (estimate only)Members Posts: 3,575 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  edited Jun 16, 2019 #182

    Took the F9 straight to the course, never hit it before, and it was as long (or longer) as original Epic and much more consistent. Did not get along with the Flash with Evenflow blue shaft, but that was probably the shaft.

    Posted:
    Callaway Rogue Draw Tour AD G senior
    Honma TW737 13*  Vizard Type A 50 stiff
    Cobra F9 hybrids 17*, 21*, 24* Atmos regular
    Titleist 818 H1 27* set to 28* upright 1* Red Tie HQ3 regular
    Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos regular
    Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
    TM Spider Tour Day
    OUUL stand bag
    Titleist Velocity
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • gioguy21gioguy21 NJ 8091WRX Points: 1,343Handicap: +1.6 (1194646)Members Posts: 8,091 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #183

    had both and after extensive play -- it's the epic flash sz, bar none, hands down, etc.

    Posted:

    Epic Flash SZ / 9* (set D/S) / Fujikura Pro 2.0 TS 6X tipped 1.50"
    Epic Flash SZ / 3+ (set -1/N) / HZRDUS Smoke Black 75g 6.5 tipped 2"
    Epic CF17 3i / Tensei PW Hybrid 100TX
    Apex MB Chrome / 3-PW / Modus 130 X
    MD4 Chrome / 52, 56, 60 / DG 115 S200 (for now)
    Piretti Tour 801R / 35.5"

  • KmacKmac  820WRX Points: 169Members Posts: 820 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #184

    Same for me - F9 had a month or so and then went to the EFSZ and its still in the bag. I could not get the consistency and dispersion like I am from the EFSZ from the F9.

    Posted:
  • MobMob Just Another Lefty Indianapolis 3526WRX Points: 205Handicap: 5.5Members Posts: 3,526 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #185

    I played 27 yesterday, 18 with the EFSZ and 9 with the F9. I was swinging pretty well yesterday and had a good round. I hit a bunch of fairways with the EFSZ, so I thought the F9 was on it's way out. I then hit 6/7 fairways with the F9 as well. Dispersion was slightly better yesterday with the F9, but the EFSZ has had better dispersion over the past few weeks. Distance was a wash, but sound and feel go to the F9. My impression is that every company makes a good driver these days, and they are all fairly comparable in results. One head may suit someone better than another and brand loyalists should be comfortable knowing that they are all pretty similar in performance. I was leaning towards the EFSZ until playing the F9 yesterday afternoon; now I am back at square one in trying to decide which one to game. Very hard to figure out considering how much rain we have gotten here in the midwest over the past 2 months.

    Posted:
    Cobra F9 Tour length with Tensei Pro Orange 60S shaft
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 degree with GD Tour AD IZ 75 stiff
    Callaway Super Hybrid 17 degree with Tensei Pro Orange 80 stiff shaft
    Callaway Super Hybrid 23 degree with Tensei Pro Orange 80 stiff shaft
    TM P790 5-P with Fujikura Pro 95i shaft stiff tour spec
    Ping Glide 2.0 raw 50 and 54 degree wedge 
    PM19 60 degree raw wedge
    TM Spider X Navy Blue 35 inch with white racing stripe
  • KmacKmac  820WRX Points: 169Members Posts: 820 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #186

    On -, @Mob said:

    I played 27 yesterday, 18 with the EFSZ and 9 with the F9. I was swinging pretty well yesterday and had a good round. I hit a bunch of fairways with the EFSZ, so I thought the F9 was on it's way out. I then hit 6/7 fairways with the F9 as well. Dispersion was slightly better yesterday with the F9, but the EFSZ has had better dispersion over the past few weeks. Distance was a wash, but sound and feel go to the F9. My impression is that every company makes a good driver these days, and they are all fairly comparable in results. One head may suit someone better than another and brand loyalists should be comfortable knowing that they are all pretty similar in performance. I was leaning towards the EFSZ until playing the F9 yesterday afternoon; now I am back at square one in trying to decide which one to game. Very hard to figure out considering how much rain we have gotten here in the midwest over the past 2 months.

    I was sort of in the same boat but it seemed the more I played the EFSZ the better it got and the more confident I swung it. Its like you just have to commit to one and sell the other one. LOL @ commit here on WRX, huh? I'm as guilty as anyone. But I sold my F9 and have been hitting the EFSZ great, so no regrets. I also agree that ALL of the new drivers are **** good. Pretty sure I could make just about all of them work for me outside of Ping drivers which I just never get along with.

    Posted:
  • jjfcpajjfcpa Driver - Tour Edge EXS 10.5 Omaha, NE 742WRX Points: 248Handicap: 12Members Posts: 742 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #187

    I read somewhere that the EFSZ is better suited to slower swing speeds? I'm probably under 100 so just wondering if that's the one I should get fitted for?

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • woods991woods991 believeland 2540WRX Points: 177Handicap: 12ClubWRX Posts: 2,540 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #188

    On -, @jjfcpa said:

    I read somewhere that the EFSZ is better suited to slower swing speeds? I'm probably under 100 so just wondering if that's the one I should get fitted

    It all depends on your spin, the only real difference between the non SZ and the SZ are the spin rates. You will see both are being played on the tours (the non SZ just won the LPGA US Open) so it all comes down to your swing. I would hit both of them and see where your numbers fall. Lastly, it also depends on what shaft you get fitted for. For me I liked the non SZ with a project x HC Red and had better numbers than the SZ and my swing speed was at 102 (on average).

    Posted:
    Signature of Solon CC
    Mizuno st200 10.5 w/Diamana Blue Ltd 60
    Titleist TS2 (tour issue)15 Aldila Blue NV 70 42.75”
    Mizuno Jpx 919 Hot Metal Nippon Modus3 Pro 105 4-pw 
    Ping Glide 3.0 50 TT s400 tour issue
    Ping Glide 3.0 54 (Eye2) sole, Modus3 Pro 105
    Ping Glide 3.0 60 (Eye2)sole Modus3 Pro 105
    Axis 1 Rose black 33.75
  • MobMob Just Another Lefty Indianapolis 3526WRX Points: 205Handicap: 5.5Members Posts: 3,526 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #189

    I've been playing the F9 for the past few weeks and really liking it. I find it to be fade biased, and it has taken the right side out of play for me (I am left handed). It feels great when I hit the sweet spot, but unfortunately, I seem to catch it low on the face more than I would like. My only complaint of this driver, would be that the "playable" face seems to be small, and it would be perfect if the face was little deeper/taller. It is staying in the bag for now, but the EFSZ has performed quite well also, and could easily come back out from time to time.

    Posted:
    Cobra F9 Tour length with Tensei Pro Orange 60S shaft
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 degree with GD Tour AD IZ 75 stiff
    Callaway Super Hybrid 17 degree with Tensei Pro Orange 80 stiff shaft
    Callaway Super Hybrid 23 degree with Tensei Pro Orange 80 stiff shaft
    TM P790 5-P with Fujikura Pro 95i shaft stiff tour spec
    Ping Glide 2.0 raw 50 and 54 degree wedge 
    PM19 60 degree raw wedge
    TM Spider X Navy Blue 35 inch with white racing stripe
  • JustsomeguyJustsomeguy  1201WRX Points: 216Handicap: 15Members Posts: 1,201 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #190

    On -, @Mob said:

    I've been playing the F9 for the past few weeks and really liking it. I find it to be fade biased, and it has taken the right side out of play for me (I am left handed). It feels great when I hit the sweet spot, but unfortunately, I seem to catch it low on the face more than I would like. My only complaint of this driver, would be that the "playable" face seems to be small, and it would be perfect if the face was little deeper/taller. It is staying in the bag for now, but the EFSZ has performed quite well also, and could easily come back out from time to time.

    I've found the need to tee it up just a **** higher than expected. Maybe something about the aero makes it rise through swing and catch low? Maybe something in the design.
    Love this driver.

    Posted:
    Cobra F9 10.5* Project X Evenflow Blue 65 R - CAMO!
    Cobra F9 15* 5w Project X Evenflow Blue 65 R
    Titleist 915H 20* Diamana S+ Blue 70, R
    Titleist 716 AP1 4-W52, Kuro Kage Tini 65, S
    Cleveland CBX, 56*/12, Rotex Graphite Wedge Flex
    Cleveland Smart Square Blade
  • dlygrissedlygrisse Kansas 13825WRX Points: 1,363Handicap: 8-ishMembers Posts: 13,825 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #191

    On -, @NoFancyUsername. said:

    There is plenty on Youtube in regards to Driver A vs Driver B.

    At the end of the day it has to suit your eye, and have the right shaft in it.

    That and the cog needs to suit your style. The Cobra is more of a low forward cog, the Epic is a bit higher and farther back. Ping drivers tend to be higher and really far back. The epic sub zero will be closer to the Cobra, all great clubs but they all work different.

    Posted:
    I pick 14 of the following:
    Ping G400
    Callaway Epic Flash 3w 
    Ping G410 5 and 7 wood
    Callaway Apex 23*
    Ping G 4-U
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54, 58 SS or Vokey M Grind 58
    Grips NDMC +4
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Jones Utility
    ProV1x-mostly
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
  • MobMob Just Another Lefty Indianapolis 3526WRX Points: 205Handicap: 5.5Members Posts: 3,526 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #192

    Well it took several months, but I have finally landed on the F9 over the EFSZ. I have gone back and forth many times, and finally decided that the F9 was a slightly better match for me over the EFSZ. I wish I had been able to figure this out several months ago, but at least I am finally committed. EFSZ will now go on the BST.

    Posted:
    Cobra F9 Tour length with Tensei Pro Orange 60S shaft
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 degree with GD Tour AD IZ 75 stiff
    Callaway Super Hybrid 17 degree with Tensei Pro Orange 80 stiff shaft
    Callaway Super Hybrid 23 degree with Tensei Pro Orange 80 stiff shaft
    TM P790 5-P with Fujikura Pro 95i shaft stiff tour spec
    Ping Glide 2.0 raw 50 and 54 degree wedge 
    PM19 60 degree raw wedge
    TM Spider X Navy Blue 35 inch with white racing stripe
7

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.