Srixon Cleveland one company

rkelso184 ·  
rkelso184rkelso184 Members  320WRX Points: 167Posts: 320 Greens
Just wondering why they don't just merge everything to one name? I feel there market footprint would be better by having it all under one umbrella?
Posted:

Comments

• erock9174erock9174 North Canton, OHMembers  4139WRX Points: 243Handicap: 10.5Posts: 4,139 Titanium Tees
    Brand recognition perhaps. Cleveland more well known in the US and for wedges. Srixon more known for balls especially overseas.
    Posted:

Callaway Epic Flash 12*

Exotics Xrail 3h | 4h | 5h

Cleveland  588 Altitude 6-PW

Cleveland CBX 50*/56*/60* - Callaway Sure Out 64*

Ping Sigma 2 Tyne 4 Platinum

Titleist ProV1x Yellow

Handicap: 8.5

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • pkn17003pkn17003 Members  26WRX Points: 32Posts: 26 Bunkers
    Like erock9174 said; brand recognition.

The question you should ask yourself then is why are Callaway using Odyssey or Toulon to brand their putters, or why Titleist uses Scotty Cameron for example. Same principle isn't it?

I doubt Srixon/Cleveland would do better if only sold under one brand name.
    Posted:
    Taylormade M1 2016 9.5* Miyazaki C.kua 39 S
    Srixon F65 5W 19* Miyazaki Kuala Mizu 6 S
    Callaway Rogue X 5H 23* Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 S
    Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 7 & 9 iron True Temper XP105 S300
    Nike Engage Toe Sweep 54 & 58 degree DG Wedge flex
    Scotty Cameron Select Big Sur Long 49"
  • cgasuckscgasucks Members  2497WRX Points: 407Posts: 2,497 Platinum Tees
    Same reason why Footjoy and Titleist or Addidas and Taylormade (before they were split apart) have kept their names separate. Brand Recognition.
    Posted:
    10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft
    1999 Ben Hogan Apex Blades (3-PW) with stock Apex 4 Steel Shafts
    Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts
    Taylormade ATV wedges in 54 and 58 degrees with stock steel shafts
    Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter
  • hahanicehahanice Members  392WRX Points: 116Posts: 392 Greens
    Yeah Cleveland clubs have the perception in America as being a budget brand. Perception is hard to break. A company like Wilson would do well to use this model imo
    Posted:
  • Golf64Golf64 Go Habs Go! Ontario, CanadaMembers  8247WRX Points: 396Handicap: ScotchPosts: 8,247 Titanium Tees
    Add XXIO to the brands of Srixon and Cleveland too. image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
    Posted:
    Ping Traverse
    Ping LST 3W Tour S
    Ping 4H Tour S
    i210 5-PW, UW Modus 105S
    Glide 3.0 56* Modus 105S
    Putter-TM Soto
    Tour Response yellow

Super Bowl LII Champions
    Fly Eagles Fly!
  • MattM97MattM97 Members  967WRX Points: 416Posts: 967 Golden Tee
    I think so many people know they're the same company. Also it's not uncommon in golf and other sporting goods either. You have the ones mentioned above but don't forget Callaway, Odyssey and OGIO are all under the same company.
    Posted:
    WITB - Lefty
    Driver: Ping G410 Plus - 9° Draw - Tour 65S
    Fariway: Cobra F7 - 15.5° Draw - Tensei Blue 65S
    Hybrid: Ping G410 - 19° - Alta CB 70R
    Irons: Srixon Z585 - 4i to 7i - Z785 - 8i to PW - AMT Tour White S300
    Wedges: Callaway MD3 51° - Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 56° - Ping Glide 60°
    Putter Rotation: Edel E-3 - Miura KM-006LH - Toulon San Diego - and many more.
    Balls: TaylorMade TP5X
    Bag: Ping Pioneer

Advertisement
  • ShilgyShilgy PhoenixMembers  12288WRX Points: 1,419Handicap: 3.2Posts: 12,288 Titanium Tees
    hahanice wrote:

Yeah Cleveland clubs have the perception in America as being a budget brand. Perception is hard to break. A company like Wilson would do well to use this model imo
    Budget brand? If you said niche brand known mostly for wedges it would be easy to agree. They have never been a budget brand as I recall.
    Posted:
    WITB
    Tools for the job!

To paraphrase Dr Seuss: Don't cry because the round of golf is over-smile because it happened . :)

Game is recovering from total ankle replacement. Getting there and glad to be pain free!
  • Stevens24Stevens24 Members  152WRX Points: 87Posts: 152 Fairways
    Cleveland has been one of the most well known wedge brands that is would be silly to give that up.
    Posted:
  • VNutzVNutz Members  6649WRX Points: 608Posts: 6,649 Titanium Tees
    Because Cleveland has brand name recognition in wedges that they could never recover under Srixons name. But as a club company otherwise they got no recognition with great items, something that Srixon has been able to do in a fairly short period of time.
    Posted:
  • mantanmantan Members  2667WRX Points: 249Handicap: 13.5Posts: 2,667 Titanium Tees
    Shilgy wrote:

hahanice wrote:

Budget brand? If you said niche brand known mostly for wedges it would be easy to agree. They have never been a budget brand as I recall.

For better or worse, their irons have gotten to the point where they are thought of a budget/gimmicky. It's a bit of a shame. The TA5s and TA7s were fantastic game improvement irons. (The TA6's were sneaky good as well.) They had a really good players offering in the TA3 (I believe) Then it felt like they lost their way across the board. They went into hibore hybrid sets and other gimmicky irons. It seemed like the wedge market got a bit more crowded at that time and their overall brand image wasn't as strong. It's hard to be a premium wedge company when your other offerings aren't premium.
    Posted:
    WITB (as of 2/18/20)
    PING G400 Max 10.5*
    PING G400 5-Wood
    Cleveland Launcher Turbo 22* Hybrid
    Srixon Z565 5-PW
    Cleveland CBX 2 50*
    Cleveland CBX 2 54*
    PING Glide ES 58*
    Cleveland Frontline Elevado
    Bridgestone Tour B RX/RXS
  • LaymanMLaymanM Cincinnati, OHMembers  2211WRX Points: 302Handicap: 7Posts: 2,211 Platinum Tees
    I wish srixon had branded wedges and putters. Other than that I am fine with the seperation of brands....love my z785 irons
    Posted:
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Taylormade M6
    Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
    Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
    Titliest SM7 50f, 54s, 58d
    SC Phantom X 5.5

Advertisement
  • Adam CAdam C Members  720WRX Points: 398Handicap: 4Posts: 720 Golden Tee
    mantan wrote:

Shilgy wrote:

hahanice wrote:

For better or worse, their irons have gotten to the point where they are thought of a budget/gimmicky. It's a bit of a shame. The TA5s and TA7s were fantastic game improvement irons. (The TA6's were sneaky good as well.) They had a really good players offering in the TA3 (I believe) Then it felt like they lost their way across the board. They went into hibore hybrid sets and other gimmicky irons. It seemed like the wedge market got a bit more crowded at that time and their overall brand image wasn't as strong. It's hard to be a premium wedge company when your other offerings aren't premium.

They also lost their golden goose when Roger Cleveland moved to Callaway. I think that may have been the biggest hit to the image.
    Posted:
  • carlococarloco Members  96WRX Points: 22Posts: 96 Fairways
    I would never buy a srixon wedge or a Cleveland z star ball. Sounds and already feels horrible.
    Posted:

2017 Taylormade M2 Driver 9.5*
    2018 M4 3 Wood 15*

2018 M4 5 wood

TM 5HL or 4i depending on how I’m feeing

2016 Srixon Z545 5-PW
    2018 Srixon Z585 AW 50*
    2017 Cleveland CBX 56* and 60*
    2017 Cleveland Huntington Beach #4 Putter

• 95124hacker95124hacker Rare putter collection Members  1352WRX Points: 170Posts: 1,352 Platinum Tees
    Considering the parent company for both is Sumitomo Rubber, let’s just keep it separate!
    Posted:
    TS3 9.5*, Tensei AV Blue 55R, Draw setting
    '16 M1 3HL (17*), Fujikura Pro 70S
    King F7 2-3 (19*), Fujikura Pro 75h, S
    R15 Black 4h (21*), Fujikura Speeder Evolution 77, R
    PXG 0311 Gen1 4-iron, Steelfiber 95S
    Fourteen TC770 Forged, 5-PW, Roddio Pentacross I-8, SR
    Cobra Trusty Rusty 51* & 57*
    Odyssey WHP CSM 400g
    Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX / XS
  • chris975dchris975d GeorgiaClubWRX  2033WRX Points: 241Posts: 2,033 ClubWRX
    Shilgy wrote:
    hahanice wrote:

As a Srixon/Cleveland retailer, pretty much ever since Sumitomo acquired Cleveland, they've positioned Cleveland as their budget or "value" brand. And this is basically their own wording. Except for Cleveland wedges, which really makes it a bit weird as a retailer. We are selling/marketing Cleveland as budget/value in every other category aside from wedges.
    Posted:
    TaylorMade 9* M5 w/GD AD-IZ 6
    TaylorMade M5 3-wood
    TaylorMade M5 5-wood
    Srixon H85 4
    Srixon 5-PW, AW Z585 w/Project X LZ 6.0
    Cleveland RTX4 54*, 58*
    TaylorMade Spider X Copper
  • MarkripMarkrip Boss fan 62 Members  1774WRX Points: 315Posts: 1,774 Platinum Tees
    chris975d wrote:

Shilgy wrote:
    hahanice wrote:

As a Srixon/Cleveland retailer, pretty much ever since Sumitomo acquired Cleveland, they've positioned Cleveland as their budget or "value" brand. And this is basically their own wording. Except for Cleveland wedges, which really makes it a bit weird as a retailer. We are selling/marketing Cleveland as budget/value in every other category aside from wedges.

I went to one of their demo days last week and that’s what their rep said. He was showing me the CBX irons and then he brought me a Srixon iron ( I don’t remember the model ). He said they were basically the same except the Srixon was forged. The Srixon definitely felt much softer. My results were pretty similar with both. There was a pretty big difference in price.
    Posted:
    Driver - Cobra F7
    3w- Adams Tight Lies 2 16
    Hybrid - Cobra F8 19
    Irons- Sub 70 739 5-PW
    Wedges- Tour Edge CB Pro 50, 54 , 58
    Putter- Tour Edge HP Series 01

Advertisement
  • mantanmantan Members  2667WRX Points: 249Handicap: 13.5Posts: 2,667 Titanium Tees
    Markrip wrote:

chris975d wrote:

Shilgy wrote:
    hahanice wrote:

I went to one of their demo days last week and that’s what their rep said. He was showing me the CBX irons and then he brought me a Srixon iron ( I don’t remember the model ). He said they were basically the same except the Srixon was forged. The Srixon definitely felt much softer. My results were pretty similar with both. There was a pretty big difference in price.
    j

You can definitely see where they are related. They both use the same v-sole and have similar designs. On another board, a lot of guys talk about pairing CBX wedges with their Srixon irons...especially the gap wedge.

But the feeling is what makes the Srixons so great. Cleveland has a tough job of finding place in a crowded market of very good cast GI irons. They just aren't on the top of people's mind anymore when they are shopping for irons.
    Posted:
    WITB (as of 2/18/20)
    PING G400 Max 10.5*
    PING G400 5-Wood
    Cleveland Launcher Turbo 22* Hybrid
    Srixon Z565 5-PW
    Cleveland CBX 2 50*
    Cleveland CBX 2 54*
    PING Glide ES 58*
    Cleveland Frontline Elevado
    Bridgestone Tour B RX/RXS
  • dunndunn Members  6362WRX Points: 163Handicap: 5Posts: 6,362 Titanium Tees
    Srixon/XXIO was for Asian market

Cleveland for US

not exclusively but generally, things have changed now

Same as Tourstage/Bridgestone

And others people gave mentioned, its marketed that way for either profits, management or some other benefit to the company I am sure

Posted:
  • ChipNRunChipNRun Members  2137WRX Points: 468Posts: 2,137 Platinum Tees
    Cleveland has a distinctive name and reputation for wedges - don't muddy the brand name. Srixon currently relies on Cleveland for specialty wedges.

Pre-2010, Srixon had a line of specialty wedges such as the WG-504 and WG-706. Not since then. Even within iron models, the Z785 and Z585 offer a PW and GW, but nothing higher. The Z965 stopped at PW, as most players iron models do.

The Golf Channel interviewed the S-C-X CEO at the 2019 PGA Show. CEO Mike Powell explains the distinctions between the three brands: https://www.golfchan...eland-golf-xxio

Note: In 2015, Srixon came out with its Z355 (GI) and (SGI) Z155 irons. This was a shortlived bid to reach the full spectrum of golfers. Not sure what happened with the Z155, but the Z355 survived about three years; Srixon, however, never upgraded the Z355 model - it was discontinued. So, Srixon will focus on elite/competitive...

Then boom! Cleveland reentered the mainline club market with new woods and its irons, the GI Launcher CBX and the SGI Launcher HB. I hit the CBX at the St. Louis Golf Expo, and it is a decent iron, with crisp businesslike head design and solid launch feel (...although I would opt for a shaft a bit heavier than the stock one.)

I talked to a top St. Louis area clubfitter who has been able to move the Launcher CBX model. He said several Callaway and TayorMade fans walked in for a fitting, and then after side-by-side tests opted for the Launcher CBX instead.
    Posted:
    What's In The Bag *...

Driver: Calla XR16 Pro 10.5° (set open) / Fuji Evolution II TS Speeder 665 R-flex 63 gr.
    FWs: Tour Edge XRail 4W + 7W / GraphiteDesign G60 R-flex 60 gr.
    or Calla Alpha 815, set 16° + 20° / Fuji Motore Speeder 665 R-flex 62 gr.
    Hybrid: Cobra FlyZ 3H 19° + 4H 22° / Matrix VLCT Altus Lite flex 73 gr.
    Irons: Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i - PW** / KBS Tour 90 R-flex 101 gr.
           4i refitted with SteelFiber 780 HLS Hybrid shaft R Flex 75 gr.
    Wedge: Calla MD3 48°/8.SS + 54°/12.WS + MD.PM 60°/10  | KBS Tour R-flex 110 gr.  | Note: MD4 58°/8.C-grind may replace MD/PM
    Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) / 34" w. Ping Pistol PP60 grip (stock)
    Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag
    Ball: Calla SuperHot - orange
    * Either 7W or 3H left out, depending on course and season.
    ** Wedges: 46°and 48°are competing for bag space.
  • rkelso184rkelso184 Members  320WRX Points: 167Posts: 320 Greens
    I completely understand why FJ and titlesit are separate or Callaway and ogio as someone may have a club contract but this way can still wear FJ apparel.

I also understand putters as again people may sign a 13 club contract and by playing a putter without a big club branding isn't as bad as a full ping bag with a Callaway putter.

I'm just stumped on the Cleveland srixon deal as some say Cleveland are budget but why can't srixon just have a broader range of products including starter packs like the Cleveland.

In Aus right now a launcher driver is $399 whilst a srixon z585 is $499

Why not just have a z385 for 399, a z585 for 499 and a z785 for 579.

I understand the issues with having consumers try something new and the transition would be hard but imagine every cleaveland and srixon club, bag, product out there having the one label it would have the affect of there being so much more and so much more popular i feel.
    Posted:
  • rkelso184rkelso184 Members  320WRX Points: 167Posts: 320 Greens
    VNutz wrote:

Because Cleveland has brand name recognition in wedges that they could never recover under Srixons name. But as a club company otherwise they got no recognition with great items, something that Srixon has been able to do in a fairly short period of time.

But by just having a Cleveland wedge line would this not fix that issue?

Have your standard srixon wedges

Then have a srixon Cleveland rtx5.0 for example
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • grm24grm24 Western PAMembers  4276WRX Points: 1,383Posts: 4,276 Titanium Tees
    Golf64 wrote:

Add XXIO to the brands of Srixon and Cleveland too. image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
    And Miyazaki shafts. These 4 brands are under the Dunlop Golf Club Corporation name which in turn is owned by Sumitomo Rubber Industries (SRI). image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Posted:
  • MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers  29429WRX Points: 2,361Handicap: 0.0Posts: 29,429 Titanium Tees
    It's definitely one of the weirdest multi-brand strategies i can think of. I understand the Callaway position of using Odyssey as a strictly "putter" brand for example. Or what Titleist does with Footjoy and Cameron being very similar...

This is strange because Cleveland is 2 things that dont jive....they are a tour caliber wedge-maker, but are basically a "value" brand for everything else.

I can't imagine this continuing for too much longer. Would imagine they do a re-branding of some sort next few years
    Posted:
    Cobra F9 Driver w/ Fujikura Atmos TS Black 7
    Cobra F9 3 wood w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Ping G400 Crossover 20 w/ KBS Hybrid Prototype 85
    Ping G410 4-SW w/DG 300
    Callaway Mack Daddy 2.0 PM 60
    SGC NorthWood CS 400g 
  • doctorjedidoctorjedi Bringing Sexy Back! Members  1096WRX Points: 88Handicap: 10Posts: 1,096 Platinum Tees
    I think srixon should come out with a forged line of wedges similar in shape to the clevelands and see how the market reacts.
    Posted:
    2018 TM M3 9.5 Accra Concept M3 tipped 1 inch
    FW: Callaway Epic 3 Wood Elements Chrome 6F4
    FW: Callaway Epic heavenwood Elements Chrome 6F4
    Irons: 4i U45 Nippon stiff 5-aw P770 KBS TOUR FLT 110
    Wed: SM5 56.14F SM 7 60.12D
    PT: 2014 Scotty Newport 1/500 custom
  • LaymanMLaymanM Cincinnati, OHMembers  2211WRX Points: 302Handicap: 7Posts: 2,211 Platinum Tees
    doctorjedi wrote:

I think srixon should come out with a forged line of wedges similar in shape to the clevelands and see how the market reacts.

YES PLEASE!!!!!!
    Posted:
    Taylormade M6
    Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
    Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
    Titliest SM7 50f, 54s, 58d
    SC Phantom X 5.5
  • ChipNRunChipNRun Members  2137WRX Points: 468Posts: 2,137 Platinum Tees
    rkelso184 wrote:

VNutz wrote:

But by just having a Cleveland wedge line would this not fix that issue?

Have your standard srixon wedges

Then have a srixon Cleveland rtx5.0 for example

This would be needless duplication - you would lose economies of scale which you achieve by having just one specialty wedge brand with multiple models.

doctorjedi wrote:

Pre-2010, Srixon had a line of specialty wedges such as the WG-504 and WG-706. Not since then. Reviews on the WG series noted they were a rather ho-hum offering.

Golf manufacturers commonly have marketing split-outs into multiple brands.

Examples of budget clubs would be some of the lower-end boxed sets: Callaway owns TopFlite, and Tour Edge has three levels of club brands.

• SGI: Launcher HB (4-AW) = about $900
    • GI: Launcher CBX (4-AW) = about $900

These are clearly not budget models. These offer more general-purpose irons as compared to the Srixon Z-family.
    Posted:
    What's In The Bag *...

Driver: Calla XR16 Pro 10.5° (set open) / Fuji Evolution II TS Speeder 665 R-flex 63 gr.
    FWs: Tour Edge XRail 4W + 7W / GraphiteDesign G60 R-flex 60 gr.
    or Calla Alpha 815, set 16° + 20° / Fuji Motore Speeder 665 R-flex 62 gr.
    Hybrid: Cobra FlyZ 3H 19° + 4H 22° / Matrix VLCT Altus Lite flex 73 gr.
    Irons: Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i - PW** / KBS Tour 90 R-flex 101 gr.
           4i refitted with SteelFiber 780 HLS Hybrid shaft R Flex 75 gr.
    Wedge: Calla MD3 48°/8.SS + 54°/12.WS + MD.PM 60°/10  | KBS Tour R-flex 110 gr.  | Note: MD4 58°/8.C-grind may replace MD/PM
    Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) / 34" w. Ping Pistol PP60 grip (stock)
    Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag
    Ball: Calla SuperHot - orange
    * Either 7W or 3H left out, depending on course and season.
    ** Wedges: 46°and 48°are competing for bag space.

Advertisement
  • grm24grm24 Western PAMembers  4276WRX Points: 1,383Posts: 4,276 Titanium Tees
    ChipNRun wrote:

Examples of budget clubs would be some of the lower-end boxed sets: Callaway owns TopFlite,
    Dicks Sporting Goods has owned the Top-Flite brand name since 2012 when they purchased it from Callaway.
    Posted:
  • Luke'sdadLuke'sdad Lukes's dad Members  102WRX Points: 19Handicap: 10Posts: 102 Fairways
    I'm ok with Srixon placing Cleveland as their value brand. Lower prices, high quality, name recognition in the states. What's not to like? Save more than a few hundred bucks on a set of irons works for me.
    Posted:
  • Tim SherwoodTim Sherwood Members  403WRX Points: 122Handicap: HighPosts: 403 Greens
    Clevelonxio
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • jonfleshjonflesh Members  321WRX Points: 56Posts: 321 Greens
    The launcher cbx are awesome irons. They are smaller in person than I thought they would be and have a progressive head shape.
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.