Why do you buy new clubs?

kacerkacer Members Posts: 126 ✭✭

I have been thinking about this for a long time. As someone who plays high level amateur golf competitively, I need equipment that will get the job done time and time again. I've always been a guy who likes to tinker, and try the latest and greatest. But after hooking up with a good club maker/fitter who knows his stuff really well, I'm beginning to look at equipment buying a lot differently.

I've never been so comfortable with every club in my bag right now. Every club I have confidence in, and does exactly what I expect it do every time I swing it.

I'm buying strictly for performance from now on. That means keeping what I have in the bag now for a really long time unless something is noticeably better for my game.

That being said, what motivates you to buy new equipment? Do you like having the latest and greatest? Do you like to tinker? Or if you found 14 clubs that you absolutely loved, would you be less inclined to change?

I'm curious to what the forum says on this topic. I believe that we tinker to find something that's better but once we've found it, what happens?

Comments

• DFS PFDDFS PFD Members Posts: 944 ✭✭

Tinkering for the sake of tinkering, but when something fits, it stays for a long time. My M2 Tour FW won't be going anywhere and neither will the new Flash SZ TD.

Epic Flash SZ 9* <> <> <>  HZRDUS Smoke Hulk 6.5TX 60g 
    M2 Tour 15* Kuro Kage DC 70TX
    790 UDI Tensei Pro White 100TX
    4-PW Apex Pro 19 DG X7's
    50* MG Raw Tour issue S400
    55* MG Raw Tour issue S400
    60* Hi-Toe Tour Issue S400
    TOULON Garage Atlanta
  • flip flappyflip flappy Members Posts: 924 ✭✭

kacer, I'm like you. When I have something that is working I stick with it. After playing used irons for a few years I got fit 4 years ago for Ping i E1 irons and still play them. I finally decided in December of '18 to go to a Ping G400 Max over my less forgiving 913 D3 which I had played for several years. My Cobra 3 wood has been in the bag for I'm guessing 5 years. With all this being said, I would probably switch around more if I was like I was in my early 30's. Single with no children and business was great. Not as much money at the end of the month as there used to be.

Ping G400 Max 10.5
    Cobra Baffler T Rail 3 wood
    Ping i-e1 4-U Nippon 105 Stiff
    Cleveland 588 RTX CB 52, 56&60
    Ping B65 Cadence
  • NDGolfer13NDGolfer13 Members Posts: 1,217 ✭✭

@gbartwrx said:
    Gots to chase the dragon! It's a sickness for sure.

This. I change even when things are working. However, it brings me enjoyment. If I devoted time to practice and lessons and fitting could I be scratch???? Maybe close but that’s not what drives me. I enjoy messing with gear.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ Tensei Pro Orange
    Cobra LTD 4/5 Lowest Setting Tour AD BB 70X
    Srixon F65 5 Wood
    Rogue 2H Proforce V2 (new one)
    Ping G410 Steel Fiber i95 stiff 5-SW/Callaway XForged 19 PX 6.0 3-P
    James Patrick 54/58 or Ping Glide 2.0 50/56/60
    Cameron Newport Flowneck Rebar

FOR NOW...........
    All Clubs subject to change relative to my last bad round of golf......
  • ChipNRunChipNRun Members Posts: 1,313 ✭✭

@kacer said:

I've never been so comfortable with every club in my bag right now. Every club I have confidence in, and does exactly what I expect it do every time I swing it.

I'm buying strictly for performance from now on. That means keeping what I have in the bag now for a really long time unless something is noticeably better for my game.

I'm not playing as well as you are, but I'm of the same attitude as you. I may buy a used club if I think it might help, but I trade it in if it doesn't work.

What's In The Bag *...

Driver: Calla XR16 Pro 10.5° (set open) / Fuji Evolution II TS Speeder 665 R-flex 63 gr.
    FWs: Tour Edge XRail 4W + 7W / GraphiteDesign G60 R-flex 60 gr.
    or Calla Alpha 815, set 16° + 20° / Fuji Motore Speeder 665 R-flex 62 gr.
    Hybrid: Cobra FlyZ 3H 19° + 4H 22° / Matrix VLCT Altus Lite flex 73 gr.
    Irons: Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i - PW** / KBS Tour 90 R-flex 101 gr. (As of 21 Nov 2018)
    Wedge: Calla MD3 48°/8.SS + 54°/12.WS +
    MD.PM 60°/10  | KBS Tour R-flex 110 gr. |
    Putter: Slotline Inertial SL-583F / 34" w. SuperStroke 2.0 MidSlim grip
    Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag
    Ball: Calla SuperSoft
    * Either 7W or 3H left out, depending on course.
    ** Wedges: 46°and 48°are competing for bag space.
  • Zengolfer36Zengolfer36 Columbus, OHMembers Posts: 59 ✭✭

I buy new clubs because I like to tinker. I know that deep down they arent going to suddenly transform my game but its fun to try new clubs.
    Im kind of to the point now where I dont tinker as much. I know what works for me and what I like, so I see little reason to change.

• Millhill88Millhill88 Members Posts: 491 ✭✭

Cause I can...

Driver: Srixon Z585
    4 Wood: Titleist TS2
    Hybrid: Titleist 818 H1
    Irons: Srixon Z585, 5-AW
    Wedges: Cleveland RTX4 @ 52, 56 & 60
    Putter: Cleveland Huntington Beach 11
  • Big A HGBig A HG Members Posts: 601 ✭✭
    edited Jun 11, 2019 10:15pm #9

I buy when I feel I'm making more than just a tiny improvement. However, this can snowball a bit. Last fall I finally replaced my Cobra L4V driver which was at least 10 years old with a Rogue Sub Zero. My irons became 10 years old this winter and are still in the bag with no plans of going anywhere (Mizuno MP-62s). My fairway wood and hybrid (Titleist 909F and 909H) are also that old. Once my driver was replaced, I had the wrong feels going on with my fairway wood and hybrid, so I ordered a new fairway wood recently after a demo day (Epic Flash Sub Zero). Also, my 60 degree SM5 Vokey hasn't been as spinny lately, so ordered a new pair of new Cleveland RTX 4 wedges (56 and 60). Most of this will be in my bag another decade or so, though.

• KC13KC13 31st StateMembers Posts: 358 ✭✭

I think its the allure of potentially having the best bag possible.

Driver: TaylorMade M5 9° - Fuji Speeder Evo V 661x
    3 Wood: TaylorMade V-Steel 15° - TM Fuji Speeder 77x
    Driving Iron: Mizuno MP-H5 (2i/18°) - KBS TGI 110
    Irons: Mizuno MP-25 (4-Pw) - KBS Tour Black Nickel 125 S+
    Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM7 (50,54,58) - KBS Tour 120 S
    Putter: Scotty Cameron - Teryllium Newport 
    Ball: 18' Pro V1

• mchamden1mchamden1 Members Posts: 483 ✭✭

I tell people I have two hobbies...golf and golf equipment

TM M1 2017 8.5*
    Titleist 915f 3W HL 16.5*
    Ping G25 Hybrid 20* 27*
    Mizuno 919 Forged 5-GW
    SM7 56* 60*
    Black Lab BL-1 / Mid Slim 2.0
  • mokedaddymokedaddy Members Posts: 1,262 ✭✭

Because shiny new stuff is cool.

TM M3 9 GD Tour AD GP6x
    TM M3 15 GD Tour AD TP7x
    TM M3 19 GD Tour AD MJ8x
    Ping I200, IBlade 4-P KBS TOUR V 125
    Ping Glide 2.0 50, 55, 60 KBS TOUR V 125 - Heel grind, WRX grind
    Byron Morgan DH89 350g
    Bettinardi BB1 332g
  • jvincentjvincent Members Posts: 604 ✭✭

@kacer said:
    That being said, what motivates you to buy new equipment? Do you like having the latest and greatest? Do you like to tinker? Or if you found 14 clubs that you absolutely loved, would you be less inclined to change?

I'm curious to what the forum says on this topic. I believe that we tinker to find something that's better but once we've found it, what happens?

I am also a tinkerer. I buy new clubs for three reasons:
    1. I need to because they are showing signs of wear or are damaged.
    2. I want to because I am tired of what I am playing and want the new shiny.
    3. Something new has come out that I am interested in trying.

Putter is the most stable. I haven't changed that in years. I usually keep irons in play for about 7 seasons or so. Wedges get replaced more frequently because of wear and tear. Driver and FWY has been a bit of a revolving door for the last few years.

I am an unapologetic shaft HO. I will try new shafts a lot. Sometimes they make it into the bag, sometimes they end up in the shaft graveyard in the work room.

Cobra F9 9* : Tour AD TP 7-S
    Cobra LTD set at 16* : Tour AD TP 8-S
    Cobra 3U set at 19.5* : Nippon Modus3 130-S
    Wishon 565MC 4-PW : Nippon Modus3 130-S
    Cleveland RTX3 50, 54, 58 : Nippon Modus3 130-S
    Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

• JustsomeguyJustsomeguy Members Posts: 1,029 ✭✭

Because golf is fun and the universe is a cosmic joke.

Cobra F9 10.5* Project X Evenflow Blue 65 - CAMO!
    Titleist 915F 15* Diamana S+ Blue 70, R
    Titleist 915H 20* Diamana S+ Blue 70, R
    Titleist 716 AP1 4-W52, Kuro Kage Tini 65, S
    Cleveland CBX, 56*/12, Rotex Graphite Wedge Flex
    Cleveland Smart Square Blade
  • BubbtubbsBubbtubbs Members Posts: 420 ✭✭
    edited Jun 12, 2019 12:23am #15

I only change stuff when I have to, because it no longer fits my swing, flex change, want to loft up/down, etc
    I had an R15 TP I was never fit for and a fitting showed that the TS3 - while barely longer on flush drives - was almost 20 yards longer on mishits and the dispersion was much, much more predictable.

I'm still rocking a 5 year-old 3w, 10 year-old 3h and 9 year-old irons. This probably won't change for a good while, though I'm due for new wedges next year.

• matthewbmatthewb Members Posts: 1,678 ✭✭

Why does anyone have a fetish?

• MuskieCyMuskieCy Members Posts: 369 ✭✭

Simple,....I probably don't need it,....but I want it.

Plus, buy last years stuff. 25% the cost, 99%+ the same as the latest.

• longballjslongballjs New JerseyMembers Posts: 1,495 ✭✭

For almost 20 years I played titleist 962b’s. For 10-15 I used a studio select Newport. For a decade I played a titleist 905s and 906f. I never really felt I was losing out on much until my practice time and round total diminished as a result of career, family, etc. then I sought more forgiveness, got ap2s, an r15 then a subzero, now an m5, an Evnroll er5 which does rotate with the studio select when they misbehave. I’ve gotten more new clubs in the last 4 years than I did in the last 20. That said, my handicap is as low as it ever was, playing once a week and no practice. I’m happy with everything now...until I’m not.

Titleist ProV1 Experience 7/12/17-7/13/17

TaylorMade M5 with speeder 667 xstiff
    Titleist 915 Fd 15 with diamana d+80 xstiff
    Titleist 909h 19* with voodoo stiff
    Titleist ap2 716 4-gw with Amt x100
    Vokey sm6 54, 58 with Amt x100
    Odyssey 2ball blade dfx
  • dubbelbogeydubbelbogey Members Posts: 436 ✭✭

I don't like to tinker with my own bag. It's not that I think I've found the optimal set, but that I've found a set that I can trust and be predictable, so I stick with it. All my gear stays in the bag a very long time. But that said, I'm virtually certain I could change up the product mix pretty dramatically, and I'd adjust just fine provided the general fit (loft, lie, length, weight) and club blend were in the right ballpark.

I do like to have fun hitting other clubs at demo days or when my buddies let me hit their sticks, but it's always just out of curiosity and never that I'm looking for something with that next bit of "edge" to help.

• DivinDaveDivinDave Longview TexasMembers Posts: 538 ✭✭

I change clubs, or something about my clubs purely based on Feel.
    If everything is going great with my game, all is well. If it aint, I usually will do some tinkering on some level. It might be a simple a changing my grips, or getting the lofts and lies checked, or a whole new driver, (which I did in Feb).... Like right now, Im feeling I might need different shaft in my irons. Ive been fighting the urge to reshaft them for a while.

Experience - What's leaned just after you needed it most
  • BubbtubbsBubbtubbs Members Posts: 420 ✭✭

@MuskieCy said:
    Simple,....I probably don't need it,....but I want it.

Plus, buy last years stuff. 25% the cost, 99%+ the same as the latest.

That's a serious discount. They're still selling the F8 and M3/4 for 3-400 CAD here, not quite 50% off.

• RainShadowRainShadow Tucson AZ (for now)Members Posts: 3,737 ✭✭

All alone on the road to perfection- Warren Zevon

Ping G400 10.5 Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.0
    Rogue 17* Atmos Blue TS
    G 410 19* Tour 85 R
    Apex  23 & 26 Kuro Kage S
    Cobra Forged Tec Black 6-GW Modus 105s (In Play) / Srixon Z765 6-GW Modus 105s (Standing By)
    MackDaddy4 Black 54 S and RTX 3 Raw 58* 
    '17 Studio Stock 8
    Some kind of 3 or 4 piece urethane covered soft feeling ball
  • JStangJStang Members Posts: 2,450 ✭✭

This site is to blame. I never had a problem until I became more active here.

'16 M2 Rogue Fairway | 915H 2 & 3 | Apex Pro Dot's | Vokey SM6 52, 58 | Studio Stainless Newport 2
  • Frisco KidFrisco Kid Members Posts: 163 ✭✭

I don’t change often but when I do, it’s usually all in in a specific OEM. I was a Callaway guy when I first got serious about golf. Then I was a Titleist fanboy for years...shot my best score of even par with their gear. Then last year I went all Ping. I haven’t sniffed par but have consistently shot lower scores and my index is down to a 12. I wish I could just try a piece of gear from a mfr here, would be a lot cheaper but my OCD is all or nothing.

Ping G30 Driver Tour 65 R
    Ping G30 3 Metal TFC419 R
    Ping G30 5 Metal TFC419 R
    Ping I200 4-P Modus 105 R
    Ping Glide 2.0 50SS, 54SS, 58SS CFS
    Ping G Sigma Tyne Putter
    Ping DLX Cart Bag
  • edgeratedgerat ClubWRX Posts: 237 ClubWRX

@BM5D said:
    I hate money.

you stole mine but, yes.

• jll62jll62 ClubWRX Posts: 2,042 ClubWRX

I also play competitive amateur golf at a high level, but I still love to put new stuff in the bag. Part of the enjoyment I get from the game is playing new gear, so I have no problem putting it in the bag if the performance is at least the same as what's in there. For the past few years I tried to stick with the same gear (clubs that fit very well), but I found this backfired and I actually bought more equipment than I might have otherwise done.

At the end of the day, I invest a lot of time and effort into my game and want to have great competitive results, but I simply like to play new gear. It's a delicate balance, but I can't do one without the other.

TaylorMade M5 9.0, Tensei Orange V2 70TX, 44.5"
    TaylorMade M5 Rocket 14, Tensei Blue 70 X, 42.5"
    TaylorMade P-790 UDI 2, Aerotech SteelFiber i95 S
    TaylorMade P-750 3-4, KBS C-Taper S+ (soft-stepped 1x)
    TaylorMade P7TW 5-PW, KBS C-Taper S+ (soft-stepped 1x)
    TaylorMade Milled Grind 52 Raw, DG S400 Tour Issue
    TaylorMade Hi-Toe 58, DG S400 Tour Issue
    TaylorMade Itsy Bitsy Proto, 34"
    TaylorMade TP5x #12

jll62's WITB
  • bogeyprobogeypro The Original Bogeypro ALClubWRX Posts: 3,253 ClubWRX

i buy new clubs because I like new clubs.... duh I play the all about the same (if properly fitted). Too much good stuff to not try it all.

Titleist TS3 8.5 
    Titleist TS2 15* 
    Mizuno JPX 850 2 hybrid
    Mizuno MP 18 SC 3-pw
    Taylormade hi-toe 52-9 and 58-10 wedges
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5m
  • RogerinNewZealandRogerinNewZealand Members Posts: 2,390 ✭✭

Titleist to blame.
    If they release the 620 i will get fitted and keep 5 plus years.Its Consumers Choice and there is a lot of Great Product out there !

2019 May

Ping [email protected] 10.5
    Tee 16.5
    Tm V Steel @ 18

Mizuno MP 63 DGR300 at D4

Vokey SM5 50 08 F Old SM at 54 and SM6 58S 10

Titleist Scotty Mid Slant Pro Platinum at 34 and a Half!