I Think I Might Be Done Hoing...

drumdude96

I have bought several clubs this year, and some of them have been awesome, most notably a Callaway Alpha 816 3 wood and a couple Rogue hybrids with AD DI 95 X shafts. I will be buried with those clubs. However, I have tried several sets of irons, and nothing has been able to beat my ol' reliable PING G25's. I reshafted the 5 and 6 (was using G25 hybrids in their places) with the same Tour V 120's as the rest of the set, and they are just so good. I know they are kinda ugly to some people, but I'll take performance over looks any day (to an extent, LOL). I did try a Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal with Steelfiber i110 and did really like it, but Mizuno is out of stock so I can't even get those now. So, I think I might actually be done hoing trying to find something better. There just might not be anything better for me than my G25's. It's taken a long time and a lot of money to come to that realization, but I think I will just focus on playing now and not trying to find the next best thing. I didn't think I'd ever get to this point since I love buying and trying new stuff, but here I am. Unless someone has a set of left-handed JPX 919 Hot Metals with Steelfiber i110 stiff that they want make me a deal on, lol.

PING G400 Max 10.5° GD YS Nano Reloaded 6X                                            

TaylorMade SIM2 Max 16.5° 3HL Mitsubishi Diamana Kai'Li 70 X                                                       

Callaway V-Series 19° 5 wood Mitsubishi Diamana Kai'Li 80 S                                                         

PING G410 22°, 26° & 30° Hybrids KBS Steel Hybrid Shaft X                                               

Adams A4 Forged 7-PW Dynamic Gold AMT X100 D4                                                                        

Cleveland CBX 50°, 55° Dynamic Gold S400

Cleveland CBX Full Face 60° Dynamic Gold Tour Spinner

Odyssey 2-Ball Blade w/Triple Trac

Vice Pro Plus Lime

Kinda undercut yourself with the last sentence there, eh? ?

• Like 2

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

Hey, I said MIGHT be done hoing, lol. Most likely, but that could be the one set of irons I would dish out some cash for, if a good enough deal.

Vice Pro Plus Lime

I never understood the going thing, but who am I to judge on things that bring joy to others. For me, golf is a game of precision and managing misses, the only way you can really be good at both is taking equipment out as the variable. I hate changing clubs and try to do it as little as possible. Once I have my clubs fit and dialed in, I can go out and practice/play knowing that the clubs will not play any sort of variable into the shot, it’s just a matter of me making a good swing.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

I'm definitely starting to lean this way, but I would like to have two full sets that I hit equally as well, or reasonably close. Right now I have a bunch of Callaway stuff and a bunch of PING stuff, and have a mixed bag that is working the best. I tried having a full PING bag and a full Callaway bag, but the Callaway fairways and hybrids work better along with the G25 irons. I'm going to just try to score as low as possible with whatever clubs are the best for me and not worry about brand so much. Whatever gives me the most confidence is staying in the bag.

Vice Pro Plus Lime

I agree with this on irons, putters, hybrids and fairway woods... find what works and stick to it... wedges wear out and need replaced every couple of years and drivers are fun to tinker with... no big deal for me to change drivers, though I usually just swap shafts... that said, if I find a winner, I’ll play it til the face cracks.

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

From roughly 2001 through 2008 I had a set of Titleist irons, Vokey wedges of 50, 54 (bent to 55) and 60 (bent to 61) degrees, a Teardrop Zebra putter and a series of three drivers (Cleveland Launcher, Titleist 975, Taylormade R-something Draw) that I played for over 1,000 rounds. I was constantly tinkering with fairway woods during that time and had brief flings (month or two) with a couple other putters. The wedges would wear out every other year and I'd just order another set of Vokeys with the same specs.

But mostly I just showed up and played golf. I remember when we'd go to the beach a couple times a year I'd go into one of the golf stores and either buy a 5-wood or a "Rescue" club or maybe a putter or sometimes I'd just look around and not buy anything. Shopping for golf equipment was something I'd do for a special treat once in a while, not a constant part of my life.

I can't in all honesty say that the hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars I've spent obsessing on golf gear since about 2010 has made my game any better or added anywhere near enough enjoyment in my life to justify what it has cost. It is simply a habit that I come back to every time I try walking away from it. It's really kind of depressing to think of and I'm being complitely serious in saying that.

• Like 1

I’m with you, been playing g25 for 10 years and can’t find anything better. I’m waiting on some PXG 0211 irons that are being restarted right now, but still love my g25’s. I’ve tried them all but nothing can beat them.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

Maybe those irons would be magic with different shafts in them, wizard level, just sayin’

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

Ping & Callaway a good mix ,,, see my sig

• Like 1

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

I use to think like that and now I don’t blame guys at all. It’s a very slippery slope. Ive switched to modern irons and went OCD on gapping the yardages to long irons and wedges.

The irony today, I struck the ball better and was 2 shots worst albeit it was windy and soggy.

The joy is in the ride not the destination.

I will add if I may, I finished runner up 3 times in my men’s league which made it priceless because I am a hack compared to the club champion.

d4b2b64b-4ea7-4992-82fd-fc53c7335631.jpeg

5bc85b83-b562-4488-b939-f7ba3e440246.jpeg

Believe me, I've thought about putting some Steelfibers in them. The Tour V is so freaking good, though.

Vice Pro Plus Lime

My God, those Wilson Staff wedges are gorgeous! They'd go nicely with my FG Tour F5 irons. Hopefully they don't make them left-handed. Must resist the temptation...........

Vice Pro Plus Lime

Congrats on settling in on the G25's DD. Great set of irons.

I was actually wanting to start a thread like this, after recently having the same realization that you described. Many clubs and too numerous $$$ to count I've come to the same conclusion. My combo set of Stenson Legacy Black 5-7. Blueprint 8-PW have been hard to beat for me. Iv'e sold off a ton of iron sets that I have collected. The Blueprints have been worth their weight in gold for me in more ways than one. We shall see how long this lasts.

I'm still laughing as I type this. That's freaking comedy gold, right there.

• Like 1

Vice Pro Plus Lime

You will have to stay off this site, at least the equipment forum. Banned for life or until you completely replace everything again.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

I’ve had a lot of clubs in my bag that I thought would stop the buying and selling. Then I sold them and bought new clubs. Rinse repeat.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: PXG 0311XF Gen 5 4 Wood; Smoke iM10 Green 70 TX D6

Irons: PXG 0317X; PXG 0311T Gen 5; 5-GW DG 105 X D7

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

I knew this was going to be a great thread. Imagine what our games would be if we put the time spent hoing into practice.

Callaway Epic Flash 9 degree with Hzrdus Smoke 70 stiff
Callaway Epic Flash 5 wood (-1) with AD-TP 7S
Callaway Epic 3 and 4 hybrid with Graphite Design AD-DI 85S
Callaway X-Forged with Nippon Modus 105X 
Edel 51, 56, 60 wedges with KBS 610 stiff shafts
Scotty Cameron NP2
Ball: Titleist ProV1x

I've made peace with the fact that I will tinker around, buy and sell over the winter months, as there is no real golf to play. Helps scratch the itch, and there are worse things to waste money on. Happily, the wife has made peace with this state of affairs too!

The only thing I'm aiming for right now is to try and have a bag mostly set before the actual golf playing season starts. Then try and stay with that bag through the fall, and focus on playing and getting better. Does not always work, but that's my goal for now.

The fairways and hybrids I'm certain will be in the bag for a long while. And I'm at least done hoing irons for the rest of the year (unless I get a steal of a deal on some 919 Hot Metals with Steelfiber i110's, lol). When you find a great 3 wood, you don't mess with it. Same with the hybrids. Honestly, I'm pretty dang happy with my bag top to bottom right now. No reason to change anything. The driver gives me fits sometimes, so I guess it's not 100% safe, but it's definitely the Indian and not the arrow in this case.

Edit: Oh, and my SIG has changed so much this year I quit even trying to keep it current. At the moment, it's certainly not current. Maybe I'll get around to fixing it soon, but IDK.

Vice Pro Plus Lime

I just did a thread like this and then I on a whim bought a sim fairway with a similar shaft to my fairway and my bag changed again. It’s too fun to have new clubs.

Driver:  TSR3 8 Ventus Red TR 8X 

Fairway: TSR3 16.5 Ventus Blue 8X 

Hybrid:  Sim2 Tensei Orange 90TX Or Srixon ZX 2 Iron 105X

Irons:Black T200 4-5 T100S 6-AW MMT 125TX

Wedges: MG4 54 MMT 125TX and Vokey SM9 58.04T MMT 125TX

Putter: Lajosi DD201

Pro V1X Left Dash

My fairways aren't going anywhere. I know I will either hit a nice draw, or at worst a straight ball with either my 3 or 5 woods. They never slice or fade on me (unless I want them to), same as my hybrids. Knowing what your ball is going to do every time is also fun.

Vice Pro Plus Lime