Equipment contract changes for PGA Tour Pros 2017/18

ronster

Sounds like Jonathan Wall has a list compiled of players signing equipment deals, but he is staying tight lipped about them until they become official.

Then what's the point? I'll come out with my own list once it becomes official.

Because unlike you, he is a paid media person and if you burn your souces you're dead! I get told a lot of things that I never repeat but then I am paid to take photos.

Greg

GolfWRX.com
twitter @gdm43pga

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like Jonathan Wall has a list compiled of players signing equipment deals, but he is staying tight lipped about them until they become official.

Because unlike you, he is a paid media person and if you burn your souces you're dead! I get told a lot of things that I never repeat but then I am paid to take photos.

Greg

I’m more referring to the people who say, “I knew _____ was going to sign with ________ ahead of time,” but tell us after the fact. A scoop isn’t a scoop if you tell people once the world knows. What good are these sources to getting scoops ahead of time if you can’t use them?

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Greg

I’m more referring to the people who say, “I knew _____ was going to sign with ________ ahead of time,” but tell us after the fact. A scoop isn’t a scoop if you tell people once the world knows. What good are these sources to getting scoops ahead of time if you can’t use them?

It’s a crazy thing that a lot of the media doesn’t quite grasp these days, It’s called accountability. He was asked not to share so he doesn’t. I know... MIND BLOWING!

A bag of left-handed junk.
Driver: SIM Max 10.5 Blue Smoke RDX 6.5
Apex UW 19* Black Smoke RDX 6.5
4-PW: Callaway Prototype PX 6.5 LZ
60, 56, 52: Callaway Mack Daddy, KBS Tour S
Cameron Select Newport 2

Greg

It’s a crazy thing that a lot of the media doesn’t quite grasp these days, It’s called accountability. He was asked not to share so he doesn’t. I know... MIND BLOWING!

Then why tell him anything if he can’t use it? Burning a source doesn’t hurt you if your source won’t let you use anything unless that source will share scoops on smaller club/component changes that you can take pictures of.

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Then why tell him anything if he can’t use it? Burning a source doesn’t hurt you if your source won’t let you use anything unless that source will share scoops on smaller club/component changes that you can take pictures of.

Some people hear things because they’re ingrained into a certain circle. They’re asked not to repeat it, and they don’t. Seems pretty simple to me.

A bag of left-handed junk.
Driver: SIM Max 10.5 Blue Smoke RDX 6.5
Apex UW 19* Black Smoke RDX 6.5
4-PW: Callaway Prototype PX 6.5 LZ
60, 56, 52: Callaway Mack Daddy, KBS Tour S
Cameron Select Newport 2

Greg

I'm more referring to the people who say, "I knew _____ was going to sign with ________ ahead of time," but tell us after the fact. A scoop isn't a scoop if you tell people once the world knows. What good are these sources to getting scoops ahead of time if you can't use them?

Jonathan will be , if not the 1st, one of the 1st to announce any equipment changes. So your "scoop" will still be a scoop.

Greg

GolfWRX.com
twitter @gdm43pga

Greg

I'm more referring to the people who say, "I knew _____ was going to sign with ________ ahead of time," but tell us after the fact. A scoop isn't a scoop if you tell people once the world knows. What good are these sources to getting scoops ahead of time if you can't use them?

It's a crazy thing that a lot of the media doesn't quite grasp these days, It's called accountability. He was asked not to share so he doesn't. I know... MIND BLOWING!

Exactly, integrity!

Greg

GolfWRX.com
twitter @gdm43pga

Greg

Jonathan will be , if not the 1st, one of the 1st to announce any equipment changes. So your "scoop" will still be a scoop.

Greg

Oh good!

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

The big talk after the main Australian events is Adam Scott to PXG. Makes sense to grow in Asia and leverage his popularity off the back of his Uniqlo sponsorship.

Would be weird not to see him playing Titleist though!

Very weird. I cannot see that happening. Last I saw he had new 718's in his bag.

But money talks.

The big talk after the main Australian events is Adam Scott to PXG. Makes sense to grow in Asia and leverage his popularity off the back of his Uniqlo sponsorship.

Very weird. I cannot see that happening. Last I saw he had new 718's in his bag.

But money talks.

Maybe Scott goes to PXG, but Adam has never been a guy who has gone after big $ deals just for the money

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

This one would shock me. They dont make a "blade" iron.

I'm thinking the same way you're Santiago. Can't see him fitting into their iron selection and I just can't picture Adam Scott playing something other than Titleist. Would be weird to see if true.

TaylorMade Stealth 2 9.0 Fujikura Ventus Black 6X
TaylorMade Stealth 2 Plus 3 Wood Fujikura Ventus Black 7X
TaylorMade P790 UDI 2 Iron HZRDUS Black 6.5

TaylorMade P790 3 Iron Dynamic Gold X100

TaylorMade P770 4 Iron Dynamic Gold X100
TaylorMade P7MC 5-PW Dynamic Gold X100
TaylorMade MG Raw 52 & Hi-Toe 3 Raw 58 Dynamic Gold TI S400
TaylorMade Spider X Hydro Blast Slant Neck
Taylormade TP5x

I'm thinking the same way you're Santiago. Can't see him fitting into their iron selection and I just can't picture Adam Scott playing something other than Titleist. Would be weird to see if true.

This is why the Zach Johnson switch never made much sense to me either because the ap2 is so much different than the 0 3 1 1 t that he is now playing and 03111 would be to much game improvey.

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

This is why the Zach Johnson switch never made much sense to me either because the ap2 is so much different than the 0 3 1 1 t that he is now playing and 03111 would be to much game improvey.

Zach’s “SG approach to the green” stats have been far worse since leaving Titleist

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Luke Donald and S W Kim changing clothing sponsor...come on world of golf, give us something more interesting than this please!

In people sticking where they are, Jonathan Wall had Justin Thomas saying that his only equipment change going into 2018 will be trying out SM7's. There had been suggestions that his deal with Titleist was due for renewal. Good bit of business from Titleist if they have resigned him.

Maybe not as much equipment related, but it looks as if Kellum Kraft is wearing Greyson, Morgan Hoffmann's brand, this year. Which is less notable than Luke Donald also being in the same picture next to Morgan at the Greyson Christmas party. While not huge news, would be notable if Luke parted ways with Ralph Lauren. And a typically stylish pick up for Greyson

When I think Luke Donald, I think RLX and Mizuno. Seems to have been with them for ever, it will be different not having him in Ralph Lauren any longer but really, it feels like the only time we ever see him these days is at the RBC Heritage.

Greyson is better than RLX at this point. Their lead designer was RLX's in their prime. Great to see them add 2 more pros

Scott isn't leaving Titleist....sometimes I don't understand where these rumors come from.

Taylormade Stealth + 10.5 (Mitsubishi Kai'li White 60S)

Titleist 913F 15 (Mitsubishi Diamana S+ 70)

Titleist 712U 2I (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist 680 MB 4-W (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist Vokey SM5 50,54,58 (True Temper Dynamic Gold S200)

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 SS

ProV1

Scott isn't leaving Titleist....sometimes I don't understand where these rumors come from.

Over the years all of the people here that seem to have own personal tour reps (aka golf store employees) throw stuff out there in the Hail Mary hope that it's true to say "I told you" if it actually happens. So much guaranteed info gets posted that when it doesn't take place those people seem to fade away.....

There have been so many alleged sure fire 1000% correct "inside" scoops/posts made on WRX over the last 12+ years on tour gear changes that have been incorrect if WRX management deleted them all the WRX servers would be at least 10x faster than they are now. GIGO ;)

Over the years all of the people here that seem to have own personal tour reps (aka golf store employees) throw stuff out there in the Hail Mary hope that it's true to say "I told you" if it actually happens. So much guaranteed info gets posted that when it doesn't take place those people seem to fade away.....

There have been so many alleged sure fire 1000% correct "inside" scoops/posts made on WRX over the last 12+ years on tour gear changes that have been incorrect if WRX management deleted them all the WRX servers would be at least 10x faster than they are now. GIGO ;)

Not saying it’s 100% correct, just saying what was said by more than a few pro’s at the two big events here. Not going to fade away if it isn’t correct...

WRX management should use GoDaddy servers!!! The sexiest servers on earth baby

Cobra F9, 8 Hzrdus Yellow
Tee CBX119 13, Tee EX10 Beta 18. Hzrdus Yellow
M2 Hy, 22 with AD DI 85S
M2 Hy, 25 with S+ 90S
P790 6-AW, Nippon 105S
Mizuno 56/14, 60/07
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 Black Oxide
Titleist -ProV1 balls

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1152161-linkerpans-wtib-2015-edition/"]WITB Link[/url]

WRX management should use GoDaddy servers!!! The sexiest servers on earth baby

lovedoctor's "Rory to sign w/Callaway in 2017" guarantee FTW

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

Breaking news, Sergio is going to Callaway :D

On a serious note these players are dealing with contractual agreements and could face legal action if they break them. Not worth costing yourself $$$ so Golfwrx knows the scoop lol

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

Justin Thomas's deal with Titleist is up...I could see some big money being thrown at him

Titleist doesnt work that way never has. he wont make more than spieth. same guys that left Tiger,Phil, Ernie and Rory walk when their demands were high. they dont need them, they laugh all the way to the bank on ball sales alone..

I agree with that. Making a new ball model every year is what keeps them in the positive. Not to mention the fact that some of the guys use older model balls/clubs.

45]

Following

More

Looks like Chris Kirk is no longer on staff with PXG. Travis Mathew bag and playing mixed setup of Titleist, TaylorMade, Mizuno and Ping.

Will GrayVerified account @WillGrayGC 4m4 minutes ago

More

Will Gray Retweeted Jonathan Wall

Was 49th in OWGR when he signed with PXG in Jan 2016. Currently 152nd.

PXG and Kirk mutually agreed to part ways. A bit of chicken and egg here as a reference was made to his drop in the OWGR last year. I'm sure some would be happy to blame the PXG clubs in his bag as the cause while others will point the finger at Kirk.

I would blame both, PXG makes good irons but they are likely different than Kirk is used to playing and their woods imo are lacking compared to the other manufacturers.

Have any PXG staffers gone up in the rankings since they signed?

Charles Howell lll

Christie Kerr

James Hahn

Ryan Moore

Pat Perez

Brittany Lang

Ryan Armour

…..have all improved on their OWGR since going with PXG.

WRX management should use GoDaddy servers!!! The sexiest servers on earth baby...PERIOD.

You forgot the last word, fixed it for you.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

With Callaway seemingly catching up to TM in the driver game I wouldn't be surprised to see plenty of guys go leaving TM for Cally in the next few years. Have always had the impression guys loved the woods but not as much with everything else. Plus with Adidas not being affiliated anymore I would bet the money isn't as big signing with just TM instead of TM/Adidas.

45]

Following

More

Looks like Chris Kirk is no longer on staff with PXG. Travis Mathew bag and playing mixed setup of Titleist, TaylorMade, Mizuno and Ping.

Will GrayVerified account @WillGrayGC 4m4 minutes ago

More

Will Gray Retweeted Jonathan Wall

Was 49th in OWGR when he signed with PXG in Jan 2016. Currently 152nd.

PXG and Kirk mutually agreed to part ways. A bit of chicken and egg here as a reference was made to his drop in the OWGR last year. I'm sure some would be happy to blame the PXG clubs in his bag as the cause while others will point the finger at Kirk.

I would blame both, PXG makes good irons but they are likely different than Kirk is used to playing and their woods imo are lacking compared to the other manufacturers.

Have any PXG staffers gone up in the rankings since they signed?

Charles Howell lll

Christie Kerr

James Hahn

Ryan Moore

Pat Perez

Brittany Lang

Ryan Armour

…..have all improved on their OWGR since going with PXG.

Kerr isn't with PXG.

With Callaway seemingly catching up to TM in the driver game I wouldn't be surprised to see plenty of guys go leaving TM for Cally in the next few years. Have always had the impression guys loved the woods but not as much with everything else. Plus with Adidas not being affiliated anymore I would bet the money isn't as big signing with just TM instead of TM/Adidas.

I wouldn’t necessarily use the terminology “catching up” when referencing the Callaway v TM usage changes on Tour.

For many years TM paid “tee up money” to players not contracted to use their clubs so as to increase the number of their drivers used on tour.

Yes it was solid product (for the most part, SLDR & R11 were not great IMO) but the numbers put in play were influenced by the “pay to play” influence.

Callaway has made really good product for some time (But they haven’t offered tee up money for players to use it), the Epic is extremely well received not on Tour and at a retail level and I think as testament to how good the Epic is, players are using it without “tee up money”

I’m a Callaway guy, the product is exceptional and so is the G400 and Mizuno ST180.

Performance wise I still think Callaway has an edge on the competition, and it is noticeable so players are keen to put it into the bag.

Justin Thomas's deal with Titleist is up...I could see some big money being thrown at him

I can't see him moving away from Titleist. They have been good to him from his junior days on, so all 6-8 years or so.

The list of world class players that left Titleist after gaining fame is quite long!

I can't disagree with that, but theres the fact that JT's father and grandfather either were or are active Titleist staffers and I would guess that the brand loyalty runs pretty deep there. I mean, money certainly talks, but it's not really like JT is really in need of the added money that he would get from some big contract with another OEM. Spieth stayed, and, in case you haven't heard, they are good buddies, so I'm guessing they talk about that kind of thing.

He’s also good buddies with Rickie, and a Cobra deal would allow him to still play titleist balls. Just a thought.

I wouldn’t necessarily use the terminology “catching up” when referencing the Callaway v TM usage changes on Tour.

For many years TM paid “tee up money” to players not contracted to use their clubs so as to increase the number of their drivers used on tour.

Yes it was solid product (for the most part, SLDR & R11 were not great IMO) but the numbers put in play were influenced by the “pay to play” influence.

Callaway has made really good product for some time (But they haven’t offered tee up money for players to use it), the Epic is extremely well received not on Tour and at a retail level and I think as testament to how good the Epic is, players are using it without “tee up money”

I’m a Callaway guy, the product is exceptional and so is the G400 and Mizuno ST180.

Performance wise I still think Callaway has an edge on the competition, and it is noticeable so players are keen to put it into the bag.

For good players that could achieve consistent impact the SLDR was a great driver , one that was ahead of its time tech wise & a driver imo that created the “Arms Race “

Just my opinion