2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

2 Roads for Patrick Reed

2over

I would say it's the history of cheating, treating others shabbily, and the unapologetic brashness/denial about it all which makes most people dislike Patrick Reed and had the fans at Augusta cheering against him, and giving the lamest golf clap for his disappointing win at the end. But those aren't the only things. Reed's win was highly disappointing for most of the sports world because golf thrives when there are talented, charismatic, appealing characters at the top of the heap. Tiger and Phil may well be jerks off-screen (only the small circle of their friends and family really knows that), but in front of the camera, they bring charisma and style and a ton of talent that makes watching them fun--plus they've always played the game with integrity. Reed brings a fairly well-documented history of cheating, obnoxiousness, and tone-deafness as to how he sounds to the table. Also, most of us want to see guys who can hit shots mere mortals like us simply cannot hit. Rory brings that, as do DJ, J. Day, Tiger, Phil, Jack, Freddie, et. al. Hogan-esque Grinders like Zach Johnson (and Spieth falls in this category to an extent, though his putting is pretty spectacular at times) can be fun to watch, but only if they bring a ton of integrity, grit, fortitude, multiple major wins, and good sportsmanship to the table (which I think Zach Johnson and Spieth most certainly do--I'm a fan of those guys and think both are great for golf). Reed, however is a grinder who also often acts like a jerk, seemingly neither honest nor likable, with an ugly swing to boot (the club pointing at the sky finish annoys) and when a guy like that wins a major, it just makes you hang your head and go, "Oh. Darn." for all the reasons cited above.

While we're at it, does Reed not have the time/money to hire a trainer and get himself in shape? I know golf is really a game not a sport, but we appreciate it when the stars help us maintain the sporting illusion. Because if golf is a sport and we play it, therefore we are athletes! Rory got in killer-shape, and has been much more popular for the effort (golf is show business, after all). Beef Johnson and Shane Lowry pull off the bubba-beer-league look magnificently (I'm a big fan of both) because they're appealing characters with charm, nice combo of modesty+swagger, a gracious appreciation for the life they've been fortunate to live, lovely golf swings, and most of all an attitude of "I'll give you my best game, play fair and square, and look you in the eye and shake your hand and say "Well done" (and mean it!) if you beat me". They are good 'ol boys made good and that works too. Reed has none of those things (did I mention how tough his swing is to watch?).

I see two ways (I'm sure there are more) that Patrick Reed could go that would flip a disappointing script: 1) hit the gym, get thoroughly jacked, and throw yourself 100% into the villain, bad guy role. 2) Confess your sins, make amends, reconcile as best you can with the people you've harmed by your selfish behavior, and change your tone and way of treating people. That's a far tougher switch to flip than #1, but I suspect Zach Johnson could probably get Reed into the tour bible study, which would be a great start down road #2.

Either option would work best though if maybe Reed could find Butch Harmon's number and start working with him, too?

I hope Reed will choose option 2, otherwise we'll continue the one clap cheer for his accomplishments which probably will be few and far between in the future anyway.

Unbelievable, just unbelievable. I appreciate differences of opinion but yours is scary. Give the guy a break. Wow!

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear GOLFWRX friends:

Please, please...do not mistake 15Over for 2over.

Thank you,

15Over

Everyone knows he's just your lower handicap alt.

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

While we're at it, does Reed not have the time/money to hire a trainer and get himself in shape? I know golf is really a game not a sport, but we appreciate it when the stars help us maintain the sporting illusion.

I don't even think he would need a trainer - just eat less. I don't see how any pro golfer keeps on excess weight with as many miles as they walk per week. He must be really overeating to stay so overweight.

All these replies about Patrick's supposed extra weight should require the poster to share a pic of themselves. Just who are all of you folks?

I don’t really think his weight affects his golf swing much. He golfed the heck out of his ball. I personally love the helicopter fade. I enjoy his mixed bag of clubs and that he plays whatever he wants. I guess you can count me as a Patrick Reed fan and hope he continues to play well.

Ping Rapture 14 Stiff Saishin (sp)
Ping Rapture 21 vs Proto Stiff
Ping Zing 4-SW Stiff
Ping Eye 2 Plus LW
Ping Cadence B65

My take on this. I actually like Reeds golf swing. Not sure why people say its ugly? Seems to work fairly well.

I like the fact that he doesn't pour over his green reading book that much or at all really and correct me if I'm wrong here, I didn't see him use his caddy much to line up putts.

There are obviously things that annoy and he cant help they way he looks, but chubby head small mouth just gets me.

He has something every golf fan in the world wants as well.

I think Patrick Reed will do OK. I think that he might win another major.

I sincerely doubt that his personality will change.

Deal with it.

The good news is if/when Red does win another major he will qualify for this from the op.....

" but only if they bring a ton of integrity, grit, fortitude, multiple major wins,"

Which leads to a question... How do you get to "multiple major wins" without getting the first?

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

LOL!!

OP is demanding that Reed get in shape if he wants to be a proper villain or join bible study and kiss everyone’s butt and pretend to like them.

Hysterical. The audacity.

I’d pay money to see him issue his demands to Reeds face and then watch Reed look him deep in the eyes, slowly raise his hand, and very deliberately extend his middle finger, and tell him with the greatest conviction..... to go f#ck himself.

Am I the only one who likes Patrick? Everyone talks about his Sunday round, but was it not classic Tiger on a Sunday? Does his great play Friday and Saturday not count for anything? Didn't know a mere mortal has the ability to win the Masters.

Dear Patrick,

I like your golf. I like the way you balance aggression with calmness and I love it when you're passionate, determined and inspired! As far as life's trials and tribulations go, I hope things work out for the best. And with regards to you personally, I hope you grow as a golfer and as a human being, always looking to make tomorrow better than yesterday. Enjoy your win and keep it going.

Dear Jordan and Rickie,

You both should play like your chasing more often. Good stuff :-)

David

I have no doubt that PR is in fine golf shape. Go walk 5-6 miles a day on grass, hit balls for an hour or two, you may not be ready for competitive gymnastics, but you will be in fine shape for golf. Duf lost a bunch of weight and his game suffered. David Duval got into being a fitness freak, lost a bunch of weight, his health and game went south. Maybe this is a troll thread we've fallen into?

Am I the only one who likes Patrick? Everyone talks about his Sunday round, but was it not classic Tiger on a Sunday? Does his great play Friday and Saturday not count for anything? Didn't know a mere mortal has the ability to win the Masters.

Dear Patrick,

I like your golf. I like the way you balance aggression with calmness and I love it when you're passionate, determined and inspired! As far as life's trials and tribulations go, I hope things work out for the best. And with regards to you personally, I hope you grow as a golfer and as a human being, always looking to make tomorrow better than yesterday. Enjoy your win and keep it going.

Dear Jordan and Rickie,

You both should play like your chasing more often. Good stuff :-)

David

I'll fan up.. Dude play outstanding golf through 3 and held off 3 of the "fittest" best golfers of the week on the 4th.. Well done Patrick!

Honma TR20 Vizard RED S

Callaway Fusion 3 Wood Recoil S

PXG 6-Gap TT Elevate S

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Scotty Phantom X 5.5

I can only find the incident of Patrick Reed supposedly attempting to play the wrong ball in college. Other than that he is a loner at tournaments and a little abrasive. Tiger on the other hand in his heyday would not autograph equipment for other pros charities, would spit lugees after bad shots or putts, throw clubs, was often limited to the “F” word after bad shots (a trait shared with Patrick), was not friendly to the better golfers in his prime only the ones he beat like a “rented mule”. Was extremely rude and annoyed by the media that was responsible for his golden child image. Of course nobody says anything but Tiger regularly marks his ball like Lexi did...carelessly from the side, not directly behind it. Of course I’m sure the reason is he doesn’t want to step on his opponents line by stepping directly behind the ball.. Patrick appears to be a slightly more pleasant version of VJ Singh.

Interesting read (no pun intended) https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/golf/like-it-or-not-masters-champion-patrick-reed-isn’t-going-anywhere/ar-AAvGzqL?ocid=spartandhp

The second section regarding his practice at Augusta the week before is interesting.

Also the last section is something I never heard before on round at Hero World Challenge.

a) if Nike calls on contract players to wear something other than red on Masters's Sunday, is Reed exempt now?

b) what if he wins next year's Masters??

Ping G400 Max 10.5° Distanza SR

Ping G425 SFT 3 & 5, Distanza SR

Ping G30 4H R

Cleveland Launcher XL 6-PW, Projext X Catalyst 60 R

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50°, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Cleveland CBX 56° Full Face, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Evnroll ER10 34" Winn ProX 1.18 grip

Srixon Soft Feel

Apparently Reed works very hard on his game. And, I would suggest he plays the game pretty well too. Just because he doesn't fit today's image of being "fit" doesn't mean he is not in shape.

I agree. Generally speaking, as often as Reed walks 18, its a fair bet his cardio conditioning is in better shape than most that post on Golfwrx.

IMO today's image of pro or amateur golfer being fit is a borderline joke. Just because someone is thin doesn't necessarily mean he's fit. How many guys on whatever tour are lightweight and or low BMI, yet haven't even got close to the top 10 much less top 10 of a major, or hit the ball as far as Reed. Have a good day. :beach:

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-PW MMT 105S
  • SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

I wasn't a Reed fan before but, seeing how his existence has the ability to piss someone off at this level makes me want to start a fan club!

Agree and can relate to Reed. :beach:

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-PW MMT 105S
  • SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

I can only find the incident of Patrick Reed supposedly attempting to play the wrong ball in college. Other than that he is a loner at tournaments and a little abrasive. Tiger on the other hand in his heyday would not autograph equipment for other pros charities, would spit lugees after bad shots or putts, throw clubs, was often limited to the “F” word after bad shots (a trait shared with Patrick), was not friendly to the better golfers in his prime only the ones he beat like a “rented mule”. Was extremely rude and annoyed by the media that was responsible for his golden child image. Of course nobody says anything but Tiger regularly marks his ball like Lexi did...carelessly from the side, not directly behind it. Of course I’m sure the reason is he doesn’t want to step on his opponents line by stepping directly behind the ball.. Patrick appears to be a slightly more pleasant version of VJ Singh.

Oh for the love of... Make it stop. Now Tiger marks his ball... What.... Cavalierly? Is that you Brandel?

One of the neatest things about Reed winning the Masters is that all his detractors, the mewling, whining, slobbering, "I hate Reed" crowd will from Sunday forward have to hear the words "Master's Champion", "Former Master's Champion", Major winner" applied as Reed tees off, walks down the fairway, is interviewed for any reason. What sweet revenge

LOL!!

OP is demanding that Reed get in shape if he wants to be a proper villain or join bible study and kiss everyone’s butt and pretend to like them.

Hysterical. The audacity.

I’d pay money to see him issue his demands to Reeds face and then watch Reed look him deep in the eyes, slowly raise his hand, and very deliberately extend his middle finger, and tell him with the greatest conviction..... to go f#ck himself.

In October they’ll all love him again when he goes 3-1 at the Ryder cup...

I watched all of Sunday's round, and while it would be accurate to say the cheers were louder for Spieth and Fowler, I never sensed anyone rooting "against" Reed. This "everybody hates Patrick Reed" story is a lot of made up horsesh!t.

Many golf fans were not in love with Jack when he arrived on the scene. Not particularly glamorous or charismatic, his first assignment was to dethrone the most popular and charismatic golfer ever, Arnie. And if what folks saw at Augusta they considered being "against" Patrick Reed, I wonder what they would have thought of the way Jack was treated at Oakmont in 1962.

Has Reed ever been surly to media, fans, or had any run-ins with his fellow pros since he's been on Tour? Some whispers from teammates who couldn't beat him, and a story about his estrangement from his nuclear family, and being on the receiving end of less love than the current popular crop of players seems to be the fodder for all of this gossip.

All Reed has to do is keep applying himself, continue to treat his fellow pros with respect, and win. Winning, especially for the good 'ole US of A in Ryder Cups will elevate his popularity just fine. All of this other stuff will get old, and go away.

FORE RIGHT!!!!

I didn't know anything about Reed's alleged cheating or thievery. What? Where's the proof, anyway? And I don't care if he has a Dad bod. I do, too. But you know what I like about him? I got to be a Patrick Reed fan at the Ryder Cup. He's intense, wears his emotions on his sleeve, and plays GREAT golf under pressure. Reed plays a game like a kid. Yay for him!!

Driver: Alpha Golf C830.2 10.5*; Fujikura XLR8 R
3 wood: Cally X-hot, PX- R
5 wood: Louisville Golf persimmon Niblick PX-R
7 wood: Louisville Golf persimmon Niblick PX-R
4-PW: KZG Evolutions Nippon NP Pro 950 - R
52*, 56* KZG Evolutions TT Dynalite S
Odyssey Sabertooth
Srixon Q-Star Tour

I

Jeez Peter, if that's the edited post what the heck did you originally write? :)